IGNORED

'Baby It's Cold Outside' banned by Cleveland radio station

Flossie

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Or how about "Delilah"? Guy sees his girlfriend cheating on him, she laughs in his face, he kills her.(And in many jurisdictions at the time, he could've gotten off with a relative slap on the wrist.)

Are we listening to the same Delilah? Because I am racking my brain (I hope that's the right word/phrase) trying to figure out how Delilah is offensive. It's about a guy and a guitar and a girl in New York City, with a catchy melody. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Can we ban “Blurred Lines” instead? Because that song was never okay and is so so so awful on so many levels.

It's so bad but also so catchy. I occasionally hate myself for singing along. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Are we listening to the same Delilah? Because I am racking my brain (I hope that's the right word/phrase) trying to figure out how Delilah is offensive. It's about a guy and a guitar and a girl in New York City, with a catchy melody. 

It's so bad but also so catchy. I occasionally hate myself for singing along. 

I think @smittykins is referring to the Tom Jones song called Delilah, not the Plain White T's song Hey There Delilah. 

The verse in question...

"At break of day when that man drove away I was waiting
I crossed the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more" 

Does anyone kinda dislike the song "Do They Know It's Christmastime" by Band Aid? I know it was about the famine at the time in Ethiopia, but it's just not aged well at all. 

Even the Beatles had Violent and Abusive lyrics... 

“Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand, little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end little girl....”

9 minutes ago, dairyfreelife said:

Does anyone kinda dislike the song "Do They Know It's Christmastime" by Band Aid? I know it was about the famine at the time in Ethiopia, but it's just not aged well at all. 

I still love, love, love that song. I can still recognize and name many of the voices. I am a child of the 80s though! The lyrics are definitely really western-centric and don't hold up so well now, but I'm willing to let that pass to hear Boy George and Duran Duran in the same song.

19 minutes ago, dairyfreelife said:

I think @smittykins is referring to the Tom Jones song called Delilah, not the Plain White T's song Hey There Delilah. 

The verse in question...

"At break of day when that man drove away I was waiting
I crossed the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more" 

That makes sense. I googled "Delilah" lyrics and all that came up was Plain White Ts, so I was confused that I had misread the song. 

Spoiler

This song is about exactly what it sounds like. It kind of blew my mind when I heard it because you wouldn’t think domestic violence would get play in 1962. I really like The Ronettes and Crystals and others from Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound era.

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I still love, love, love that song. I can still recognize and name many of the voices. I am a child of the 80s though! The lyrics are definitely really western-centric and don't hold up so well now, but I'm willing to let that pass to hear Boy George and Duran Duran in the same song.

I like the song, but the line "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" makes me uneasy. 

And yes, the Tom Jones song @dairyfreelife mentioned. 

I'd see this song as fairly innocent and playful except for the line "How can you do this thing to me?" near the end. In my mind, this is where it turns into an unacceptably pressured situation for her.

I think she DOES want to stay, and I think she is very worried about how it will look. But his use of guilt crosses a line.

I'm fine with a radio station deciding not to play it. As others have mentioned, I wish there were more songs dropped from the playlists.

Found this topic and NOW I know why there have been over a dozen renditions of this song by as many different couples over several decades on my FB time line. I thought everyone just liked the song all at once!  LOL!  It was a ban protest.  I'm so far out of all the loops.   

6 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

@fraurosena Probably ups the creep factor that it's Sean Connery, he of the quote "I don't think there's anything particularly wrong in hitting a woman," and who played James Bond as a rapist.  

Playing James Bond as a rapist is pretty true to Ian Fleming's books. There's a memorable, nasty line from The Spy Who Loved Me, thought by the female narrator/protagonist: "All women love semi-rape." Excuse me. :puke-huge:

As far as Baby It's Cold Outside, I don't like it much. I mostly stick to my CDs or MP3 player for Christmas music, because then I can choose things I like. If people in Cleveland badly want to listen to the song, there are so many different ways they can find it, even if it isn't on the radio. 

8 hours ago, Alisamer said:

And I have never figured out how so talented a musician and songwriter as Paul McCartney managed to come up with the horrible offense to the universe that is "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime". If I could permanently ban just one Christmas song, that would be it. If I could ban just one song of any kind, that would probably be it!

This!!! Ten thousand times, this!!! That damn song is about the only Christmas song in existence that makes me instantly ragey. I have no clue why my radio stations play this lousy piece of crap ad nauseum, yet they never play my all-time favourite, Peace on Earth. The Bing Crosby/David Bowie version; there's a more recent version but it doesn't compare.

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

If the genders were switched people would interpret it as an extremely clingy woman desperately trying to keep a man who doesn't seem all that interested with her, while he continually tries to find polite excuses to get away from her. 

It was actually done with the genders being switched. And you are correct, she is supposed to come off as an overly clingy woman. 

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Playing James Bond as a rapist is pretty true to Ian Fleming's books. There's a memorable, nasty line from The Spy Who Loved Me, thought by the female narrator/protagonist: "All women love semi-rape." Excuse me. :puke-huge:

Or Bond describing sleeping with Vesper as having the "sweet tang of rape." IIRC...  Barf.  

9 hours ago, Alisamer said:

And I have never figured out how so talented a musician and songwriter as Paul McCartney managed to come up with the horrible offense to the universe that is "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime". If I could permanently ban just one Christmas song, that would be it. If I could ban just one song of any kind, that would probably be it!

I've come to the conclusion that "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" is the result of the deal that McCartney cut with the devil to be such a great songwriter. That's the only possible reason why humanity has been cursed with that song. 

I am fascinated by my fundagelical friends and family deciding that since supposed liberals don't want "Baby, It's Cold Outside" on the radio, it must be a sacred Christmas carol. My aunt (who is really my mother's cousin--grandparents raised her) posted a rant about how this is one more example of "liberals trying to force Jesus out of Christmas". Because, yes, that song is now about Jesus. People who are afraid to let their kids date because they might kiss before marriage are now attached to a creepy 1940s song about a man trying to seduce a woman he is not married to and are pretending it is somehow about Jesus. 

Never mind that it isn't even a Christmas song. It's just a song. It never even mentions Christmas; the only correlation is that it, like Christmas, takes place in cold weather (in the continental U.S, that is). 

11 hours ago, OGEmoji said:

I'll be glad when the #offendedbyeverything movement is over.

While I don't accuse you of anything, statements like these make it difficult for some people to speak out. I can understand where you're coming from. It must be rather tiring to hear one voice after another, but perhaps you can understand that so many voices have been silenced for so long?

It's quite easy to ignore my voice as #offendedbyeverything, but that's making one's life too easy. Compared to my black and brown sisters in the UK, I have it relatively easy as a POC. The worst the police will ever do to me, is arresting me for soliciting and...oh wait, they already tried that, when I was in a short skirt, waiting for friends. After the second time that happened, I stopped wearing short skirts.

Thanks to the fact that I'm German and therefore always carry my national ID and drivers' licence, I can prove to the police who I am, and assure them of my motives. But why do I have to? What is so offensive about me that I have to justify myself wherever I go?

And that is my issue with your issue. I am NOT asking you to agree with everything, I am asking you to listen and then make a choice, which cause to support. But please, don't make it worse for us. Don't make it worse for me.

I hear how tired you are of it all, but I beg you to hear how tired I am. Help me out, will you? Please?

My favorite Christmas music is the N'Sync Christmas CD from 20 years ago. Yes, I am 63. It's DD's favorite too.

One song I do not like is that stalker's anthem, "Every Breath You Take". Horrible, horrible lyrics. I would boycott that and support it being taken off the air.

The worst song by Paul McCartney that gets played at Christmas here is Mull of Kintyre, I'd also like to add to the bad Christmas song list All I want for Christmas is you by Mariah Carey and anything by Cliff Richard. 

Every breath you take has horrible lyrics yet people find it romantic. 

9 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

The worst song by Paul McCartney that gets played at Christmas here is Mull of Kintyre, I'd also like to add to the bad Christmas song list All I want for Christmas is you by Mariah Carey and anything by Cliff Richard. 

"Mull of Kintyre" is the pits. There is nothing redeeming about that song.

P.S.: Now I have that song stuck in my head. You're an evil genius! :)

14 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

While I don't accuse you of anything, statements like these make it difficult for some people to speak out. I can understand where you're coming from. It must be rather tiring to hear one voice after another, but perhaps you can understand that so many voices have been silenced for so long?

It's quite easy to ignore my voice as #offendedbyeverything, but that's making one's life too easy. Compared to my black and brown sisters in the UK, I have it relatively easy as a POC. The worst the police will ever do to me, is arresting me for soliciting and...oh wait, they already tried that, when I was in a short skirt, waiting for friends. After the second time that happened, I stopped wearing short skirts.

Thanks to the fact that I'm German and therefore always carry my national ID and drivers' licence, I can prove to the police who I am, and assure them of my motives. But why do I have to? What is so offensive about me that I have to justify myself wherever I go?

And that is my issue with your issue. I am NOT asking you to agree with everything, I am asking you to listen and then make a choice, which cause to support. But please, don't make it worse for us. Don't make it worse for me.

I hear how tired you are of it all, but I beg you to hear how tired I am. Help me out, will you? Please?

There is a difference in having an actualt reason to be offended, and digging deeply to find some small shred of something that can be twisted and construed as offensive. I don't believe I said anyjing about you personally and if you have something worth speaking out about, by all means do so. 

I would think anyone with a worthwhile cause would be sick of people finding offense in trivial things, because it causes compassion fatigue diminishes the power of the voices who acutally have something to say.

There are a tons of songs on regular radio rotation that are outright vulgar and openly offensive, and yet they choose to go after a playful classic song and turn something fun into another thing to hate. It gets old.

I am also having trouble understanding how your situation relates to this topic, but I am sorry you have to deal with difficulties.

9 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

"Mull of Kintyre" is the pits. There is nothing redeeming about that song.

P.S.: Now I have that song stuck in my head. You're an evil genius! :)

I worked in a shopping centre for nine years that played that song and others on loop from the second week in November, it was torture.

1 hour ago, OGEmoji said:

There is a difference in having an actualt reason to be offended, and digging deeply to find some small shred of something that can be twisted and construed as offensive. I don't believe I said anyjing about you personally and if you have something worth speaking out about, by all means do so. 

I would think anyone with a worthwhile cause would be sick of people finding offense in trivial things, because it causes compassion fatigue diminishes the power of the voices who acutally have something to say.

There are a tons of songs on regular radio rotation that are outright vulgar and openly offensive, and yet they choose to go after a playful classic song and turn something fun into another thing to hate. It gets old.

I am also having trouble understanding how your situation relates to this topic, but I am sorry you have to deal with difficulties.

Maybe we can talk about your hashtag #offendedbyeverything that I was referring to next?

Please note that I am NOT posting as a Mod.

27 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I think that like a lot of songs with catchy rhythms, people don't really listen to lyrics all  that closely. The first time I actually did, I was horrified. It's clearly an obsessed person not respecting someone's privacy or personal space. Ugh.

2 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Maybe we can talk about your hashtag #offendedbyeverything that I was referring to next?

ETA: Please note, that I am NOT posting as a mod.

Archived