IGNORED

George H.W. Bush, 41st president of the United States, dies at 94

Rachel333

Just now, formergothardite said:

I'm really surprised they didn't stick the Carters as a buffer between Trump and the Obamas. Trump seems to be barely keeping nice. I'm not sure I could be as polite as the Obamas are being. 

Or they let him sit on the outside, which makes it easier for him to walk up there and start spewing his horseshit for all to hear/see.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Or they let him sit on the outside, which makes it easier for him to walk up there and start spewing his horseshit for all to hear/see.

Or he'll just wander off, whispering "Get me out of here!" like he did at the G20.

On 12/3/2018 at 1:26 PM, onekidanddone said:

I fear he will sit there arms crossed, looking sullen and even fidgeting like the orange shit stain he is. Even worse he might wander off.  Good that he won't speak in public, but he would be disappointed and furious because attendees won't be a bunch of BTs ready to adore him. 

I shudder to think what he will say in the phone call.

You nailed it completely.

Brian Mulroney's eulogy was brilliant. "And let me tell you that when George Bush was president of the United States of America, every single head of government in the world knew that they were dealing with a gentleman," he said. "A genuine leader. One who was distinguished, resolute and brave."  Anyone think Trump even remotely understood his point? 

Funerals like this always make me a bit weepy, no matter who it is, but I was okay today until George W mentioned his long-gone little sister and his mother at the end of his eulogy and cried for a moment before pulling himself together again. Very moving. :my_cry:

I don’t know it off the top of my head either. But they printed it out for people to read so that isn’t an excuse.

More likely since it required fuck face to state he believes in something other than himself and $ he didn’t want to read it. That and there’s too many big words. And probably no pictures in the order of services for him to want to look at it.

26 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

But they printed it out for people to read so that isn’t an excuse.

But the presidunce can't read...

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Re: Hillary Clinton tweet: As a Methodist, I can also recite the Apostles Creed (as I could if I were several other mainline traditions). Unfortunately, Trump received the support of Evangelicals/Fundies, whose churches don't use the Apostles Creed and feel it is "too Catholic". I'm not sure that the Baptist church (Southern Baptist or other) uses the Apostles Creed, either. Does anyone know?

Re: George W. Bush Tweet: I wasn't a fan of W, but doggone it, I just wanted to hug him after his eulogy! He did a beautiful job.

10 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Re: Hillary Clinton tweet: As a Methodist, I can also recite the Apostles Creed (as I could if I were several other mainline traditions). Unfortunately, Trump received the support of Evangelicals/Fundies, whose churches don't use the Apostles Creed and feel it is "too Catholic". I'm not sure that the Baptist church (Southern Baptist or other) uses the Apostles Creed, either. Does anyone know?

Episcopalian here.  I can recite the Nicene creed almost from memory.  I have to have the book out and reading from it because I always trip over in accordance with the scriptures.  If I go on autopilot I say it the way I did back in my Catholic days and say in fulfillment of the scriptures.  Like I said before if it's the Apostles Creed I would need to read along because that's not one we say regularly in church. 

I think it depends on the individual baptist churches as to whether or not they recite the creed.

The thing is that fuck head and his groupies held himself out to be this big time Christian so it makes him look like a goddamn hypocrite to stand there and pout because the people aren't worshiping him and GOP Jesus. 

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Re: George W. Bush Tweet: I wasn't a fan of W, but doggone it, I just wanted to hug him after his eulogy! He did a beautiful job.

I was raised Baptist. We did not recite the Apostles' Creed. We did, however, believe the same basic theology.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:03 AM, fraurosena said:

My youngest had a job a couple of years ago as a 'professional' casket carrier at funerals. He had special training in how to carry the casket without mishaps: up and down stairs, manoeuvring tight turns and spaces, how to get the casket in and out of the car, and how to lower the casket without tilting it.

It isn't an easy thing to do without that training, so I can understand how it would be quite daunting for someone to do as a family member or friend.

Mr. Briefly was a pallbearer for my Dad.  He said it was a huge fear of his, that he would lose his grip.  He considered my Dad to be like a grandfather to him, and it was an honor for him to do that for Dad.

I have some issues with both Bush presidencies, but as a person I have always respected GHW Bush and Barbara Bush.  I have no problem at all with the fact that he had a State funeral and the other things such as lying (laying?) in State, etc.  I think that they are a classy family.  I wasn't able to watch the tv coverage of the funeral but I did hear some of it on the radio.

But I have to admit that I kind of expected to hear a sudden announcement that the idiot trump had burst into flames, during one of the hymns or prayers.

I don't know what religion Trump claims to be, but he attends an Episcopal church in Palm Beach on Christmas and Easter.  He and Melania were married there as well.

So, he hears the Nicene Creed (very similar to the Apostles' Creed) at least twice a year.

Briefed in 2011 about his funeral and lying in state, the 41st President asked with typical humility, "Do you think anyone will come?"

I read this online.

I appreciate that humility now more than ever.

I'm kind of wondering now how the clergy were selected for the funeral - if Bishop Curry had been requested to preside over the funeral by the Bush family or if it had been a decision by Curry and/or the church.

I imagine his orangeness wasn't too happy about that since this is a clergy member that does not think he's the second coming.

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

I'm kind of wondering now how the clergy were selected for the funeral - if Bishop Curry had been requested to preside over the funeral by the Bush family or if it had been a decision by Curry and/or the church.

Strangely enough, I recently was at a dinner with a sweet old Episcopalian priest who turned out to have presided over Nancy Reagan's funeral. He said he had not known her personally, but her powers-that-be contacted the Episcopal diocese she lived in and asked for a suitable priest and he was recommended. He did visit her once before she passed. A second visit was planned, but she passed before it could happen. 

Since Curry is the highest ranking Episcopalian clergy in the United States, and Bush was a life long Episcopalian and a former President, it makes sense Curry would preside. Also, technically the National Cathedral is Curry's "home parish" as long as he is archbishop, so I imagine he is the designated clergy to preside over prominent funerals held there. 

4 hours ago, apple1 said:

I was raised Baptist. We did not recite the Apostles' Creed. We did, however, believe the same basic theology.

Also Baptist. We have on occasion recited the Apostles' Creed, I think, but it's pretty rare. 

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

I don't know what religion Trump claims to be, but he attends an Episcopal church in Palm Beach on Christmas and Easter.  He and Melania were married there as well.

So, he hears the Nicene Creed (very similar to the Apostles' Creed) at least twice a year.

I wonder how much of this is him and how much is Melania. Or maybe he's got some high dollar friend$ who are religious so he has to be seen on the big holidays. I'd be willing to bet the only time he prays is when Mueller's investigations get close  

Youd think after the national anthem stuff he'd have figured out how to lip synch, and could have at least held the paper and made quiet mumbles. 

Also, I'd like to know what eyelash glue Melania uses, that those massive falsies didn't end up crawling down her face like spiders by the end of the service. 

10 hours ago, Loveday said:

You nailed it completely.

Brian Mulroney's eulogy was brilliant. "And let me tell you that when George Bush was president of the United States of America, every single head of government in the world knew that they were dealing with a gentleman," he said. "A genuine leader. One who was distinguished, resolute and brave."  Anyone think Trump even remotely understood his point? 

Or GW? I keep seeing a headline (and a graphic on fox news, at the gym, not by choice) about how HW was the last WASP president. Setting aside the fact that being a WASP might not be desirable in 2018, wouldn't his son also fall into that category? And, unfortunately, Trump? I mean, Trump is trash, but hes still a white "protestant" male. 

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I wonder how much of this is him and how much is Melania. Or maybe he's got some high dollar friend$ who are religious so he has to be seen on the big holidays. I'd be willing to bet the only time he prays is when Mueller's investigations get close  

I'd say he's still a man in his 70's, he goes to church twice a year because that's one of the things men do to appease their wives, and then they whine about it at the country club, but they go because it's one of the few things that are expected. And now, of course, if he doesn't go, he doesn't get reelected. 

Glad this week of alternating hagiography & vigorous tone-policing is coming to an end. While Bush 41 was probably a better person than the monster who now squats in the White House, George H.W. Bush was not a nice or even a good man.

I will give Bush 41 full credit & respect for his military service but that's about it. At least, it's more than you can say for his son, Bush 43, who sat out the Viet Nam War in a highly coveted Texas Air National Guard slot.

40 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

tRump looks like Alec Baldwin as tRump in that camera shot -- the squinty-eyed glare & pursed lips:

alec baldwin as trump.jpg

He probably affected that pouty mouth once somebody (his mom? only a mom would love that face)  told him he looks like Elvis?

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Glad this week of alternating hagiography & vigorous tone-policing is coming to an end. While Bush 41 was probably a better person than the monster who now squats in the White House, George H.W. Bush was not a nice or even a good man.

I will give Bush 41 full credit & respect for his military service but that's about it. At least, it's more than you can say for his son, Bush 43, who sat out the Viet Nam War in a highly coveted Texas Air National Guard slot.

I’ve been wondering when it was appropriate to bring up Willie Horton

Archived