IGNORED

George H.W. Bush, 41st president of the United States, dies at 94

Rachel333

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s sad, but as the Dutch saying goes, he wasn’t smothered in the cradle, meaning he lived to a ripe old age. If you believe in an afterlife, he’s now reunited with his beloved wife. My commiserations to his loved ones though. Losing someone you love, no matter how old they are, is always painful.

I’m not sure if protocol dictates that the current president should attend the funeral of a former one, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the family flies in the face of convention and demands the presidunce stays away, protocol be damned. It would also not surprise me if the presidunce just doesn’t go. He has no empathy and would find it a terrible inconvenience to have to sit silently and reverently in attendance throughout the long, boring service, that is not all about him. 

The Bushes didn't/don't like Trump but I'd be very surprised if Trump weren't invited to the funeral. Presidential funerals are a big deal and I can't imagine that the current president wouldn't be at the funeral of a president.

Trump did release a statement. He obviously wrote absolutely none of it.

Yeah, I read it was going to be a state funeral. This is going to be quite a shit show. I hope he gets relegated to the sidelines, but I'm afraid he'll hold an off the cuff eulogy, just to get the spotlight on himself. No matter what you feel about the Bush family, nobody deserves that kind of send off.

It’s sad, but as the Dutch saying goes, he wasn’t smothered in the cradle, meaning he lived to a ripe old age. If you believe in an afterlife, he’s now reunited with his beloved wife. My commiserations to his loved ones though. Losing someone you love, no matter how old they are, is always painful.
I’m not sure if protocol dictates that the current president should attend the funeral of a former one, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the family flies in the face of convention and demands the presidunce stays away, protocol be damned. It would also not surprise me if the presidunce just doesn’t go. He has no empathy and would find it a terrible inconvenience to have to sit silently and reverently in attendance throughout the long, boring service, that is not all about him. 

Or worse yet orange hitler insists his fuck buddy Putin be invited so he has someone to sit next to at the funeral and play footsie with.

Once upon a time, there was civility and genuine good will in American politics.

No way Trump won't show up. I just hope they manage to keep him from making a scene. Especially since the Obama and Bush families seem to be close. It would be best if they just send Melania in his place. She can show proper empathy at an event like this. 

Sad to see this. I just finished a book written by his granddaughter about his relationship with Barbara. Theirs was a beautiful love story. While I didn't agree with him on a lot of things (including his nincompoop VP, also from Indiana... Seems like a pattern) I appreciate how he encouraged people to participate in public service.

Long standing protocol: sitting President does NOT attend former president funeral. Long standing protocol. Too much disruption due to security and takes the focus off deceased.

48 minutes ago, Emma said:

Long standing protocol: sitting President does NOT attend former president funeral. Long standing protocol. Too much disruption due to security and takes the focus off deceased.

Good. Now if they can slip him a Valium and take his phone to keep him from creating his own major upheaval during the funeral...

I see Fornicate Face is going to attend the funeral.

President Trump plans to attend the Washington funeral of former president George H.W. Bush and is designating Wednesday a national day of mourning in honor of the 41st president, the White House said Saturday.

It was unclear whether the funeral of Bush — who as a genteel, New England-bred patrician was more restrained in his criticism of Trump than the outspoken McCain — would carry the same tone, especially considering Trump will be in attendance.

Trump also did not attend the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush. Melania Trump attended that service in Houston, where she posed for a photograph along with George H.W. Bush, Obama, former first lady Michelle Obama, George W. Bush, former first lady Laura Bush, Clinton and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Trump’s words of admiration for George H.W. Bush cap more than three years of hostility between the current president and the Bush family. During the 2016 Republican presidential primaries, Trump mercilessly mocked one of Bush’s sons, Jeb Bush, as “low energy,” and attacked the policies of another of his sons, George W. Bush. Trump repeatedly called the Iraq War one of America’s greatest foreign policy blunders.

I heard on the radio it's going to be at the National Cathedral.  Ugh.

Hey, if you all wanna see someone come back from the dead have Fornicate Face come to my funeral cause I guaran-goddamn-tee you all I'll be getting up and walking away.

2 hours ago, Emma said:

Do you have a source on that? Four presidents now have died in my lifetime and for all four of them the sitting president went to or are going to their funeral.

7 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Or worse yet orange hitler insists his fuck buddy Putin be invited so he has someone to sit next to at the funeral and play footsie with.

Putin has moved on to Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.  

2 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Putin has moved on to Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.  

Then Donnie Dummkopf will probably invite Kim Jong Un.

I know this should go in the cartoons thread, but felt like it was most appropriate here. It brought a tear to my eye -- Robin and Barbara waiting for George.

image.png.fd861325e24e82d4e61bebaa7d76085e.png

The BTs are extra-disgusting about GHWB:

44 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I know this should go in the cartoons thread, but felt like it was most appropriate here. It brought a tear to my eye -- Robin and Barbara waiting for George.

image.png.fd861325e24e82d4e61bebaa7d76085e.png

That is actually a lovely image!

I read Barbara Bush's book years ago and as a mother, I really empathized with her over the loss of their daughter.  I liked some things about GHWB and disliked some things about him.  But I was also raised to be respectful of the dead and I think that's what I am going to go with (for the most part).  My condolences to his family, and sympathy for their loss.

When my mom passed away, Dad's doctor was very concerned about him.  He told us that it was not uncommon at all for the surviving spouse to pass within a few months, especially if it had been a long marriage.  I'm not surprised that GHWB has passed away so soon after his wife.

12 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Do you have a source on that? Four presidents now have died in my lifetime and for all four of them the sitting president went to or are going to their funeral.

My bad. Must have crossed memory connections with former First Ladies funerals.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

This picture of 41's service dog tore my heart out. 

Poor doggie. I feel so sad for him. Not only has he lost his 'dad', but because he is a 'service' dog, after the funeral he will be shipped off to somebody else (whom he doesn't even know) to serve. Makes me quite teary to think about, because it's like he's some kind of commodity that is no longer needed, so off he goes.

9 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Poor doggie. I feel so sad for him. Not only has he lost his 'dad', but because he is a 'service' dog, after the funeral he will be shipped off to somebody else (whom he doesn't even know) to serve. Makes me quite teary to think about, because it's like he's some kind of commodity that is no longer needed, so off he goes.

I read that Sully is going to Walter Reid Hospital, where he will work with wounded soldiers.

I've always wondered what happens to service animals after they lose their human.  A lady in my church lost an eye to retinoblastoma as a child and later lost the sight in her remaining eye(and eventually her life)to a different form of cancer, and I wondered about her guide dog.

7 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I've always wondered what happens to service animals after they lose their human.  A lady in my church lost an eye to retinoblastoma as a child and later lost the sight in her remaining eye(and eventually her life)to a different form of cancer, and I wondered about her guide dog.

I thought they were retired and were placed with a forever family.

Archived