IGNORED

Measles on the rise worldwide

Howl

1 minute ago, Terrie said:

Diagnosed? Sure. Anthony Hopkins was diagnosed in his 70s. Developing it? No. It's a considered a condition of developmental delay. On you're developed, you can't really have a delay in your development.

I chose the wrong word but that is exactly the question I was asking.  If autism is the boogie monster, then why not vax your kids once they are past the danger line?

Yes, some of them are afraid of mercury and whatever, but the dad that started the outbreak in the article was only afraid of the MMR.

• Upvote 4

On 2/18/2019 at 1:55 PM, Alisamer said:

That may have been around the time I was in Junior High, and everybody had to have another vaccine (I think it was measles) booster for some reason. I don't remember the exact reason, but everyone over 11 or 12 maybe had to have it, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure that was not terribly helpful, LOL! But I was born in 74 and remember having to get a booster vaccine in Junior High, and it was an unusual thing for people of our age, not a standard part of the schedule.

I remember taking all my kids in for boosters at that age.  I'm trying to remember, but I think it may have been because for the earliest group getting the MMR, it was given once with no booster at 4 or 5.  

• Upvote 3

I can remember having to get a booster in junior high in the summer because we were told I couldn’t go back to school until I did(this would have been ~1980).  I want to say it was MMR but I’m not positive.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I chose the wrong word but that is exactly the question I was asking.  If autism is the boogie monster, then why not vax your kids once they are past the danger line?

Yes, some of them are afraid of mercury and whatever, but the dad that started the outbreak in the article was only afraid of the MMR.

Because they’re fucking stupid? 

There have been a lot of studies on autism and genetics, as well as the prenatal environment. I’ve kept up with a lot of autism research. Basically, it seems experts agree there is no one cause, but the changes that happen that result in autism happen in utero. There are genetic mutations that can affect brain development, neuron connections, neuron structure, etc. Prenatal factors can also be a risk factor, such as maternal illness. There have also been studies on pollution (which would be the quality of air the mom breathes in during pregnancy). So you’re born with it or not, some people just get diagnosed later and/or it presents differently in different people. So when you’re born you’re past the “danger” line, you have it or you don’t. So these fuckers should just vaccinate their damn kids.

Also sometimes people get offended when they’re told that a lot of evidence points to autism being genetic. As if somehow that’s their fault, that people have any control over their genes. I could go on a whole rant right now.

Edited by HarryPotterFan
Adding more context about autism research
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 10

There's also the issue of "autism"' and "autism-like" syndromes. This chart,https://www.proofalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Overlapping-Characteristics-4-29-2016.pdf, shows how the symptoms of autism can overlap with other conditions (This is from and FASD . Anti-vaxxers will call anything that supports their view "autism" (like the similar symptoms from Hannah Poling's mitochondrial disease  -- suddenly every autistic kid had mitochondrial issues) but will ireject any condition that doesn't (such as a study that found maternal drinking was a risk fator for an autism diagnosis -- FASDs are commonly misdiagnosed as austism, but the whole study was a conspiracy against their movement).

• Upvote 3

Whooping cough. Yes, whooping cough.

Here's the unroll of the thread for non Tweeters: 

Spoiler

Sean T at RCP  @SeanTrende

So, I'm going to rant for a second. A friend of mine is a single mom with an autoimmune disorder that forces her to take immunosuppressants. I have Crohn's disease, and so I find myself on them from time-to-time myself, so I take this story somewhat personally. 1/

Anyway, her immune system affects her lungs, and she's constantly down with various lung ailments. She plows through, because, she's a badass. But *this* time, she wound up at the hospital. Not so much because of her immune issues, but because of FREAKING WHOOPING COUGH. 2/

Now you say "Sean, how does she get whooping cough? Wasn't she vaccinated?" The answer is yes, she was, but the immunosuppressants affect those vaccines, and leave her vulnerable to viruses and bacteria. This isn't a problem, AS LONG AS THE OTHER PEOPLE AROUND HER VACCINATE.

And I say "her" but it is also me if I am on immunosuppressants. And this is the bottom line. People sometimes view vaccination is a personal choice, because they see it as only affecting them and their family. 4/

I'm broadly speaking comfortable with this mode of argument, and am generally speaking willing to give a lot of leeway to people in how they raise their kids, since to me families are sort of the "quarks" of our society. 5/

But vaccination doesn't just affect you. If you don't vaccinate yourself/your kids, and you/they become a carrier, you can kill people with compromised immune systems. Of course the rub of it is that we don't have credible evidence that vaccines cause autism. 6/

And even if we did (again, we don't), having a kid with autism is better than having a kid killed by influenza. But regardless, this "decision" is not just about you and your family. Someone's decision put the life of a hard-working single mom in jeopardy. 7/

It's infuriating. Vaccinate your kids. 8/8

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

I am of an age where I actually had the so-called childhood diseases--measles, chicken pox, German measles and scarlet fever.  I even recall that our schools sent letters home to let parents know that a classmate had come down with one of those illnesses.

I remember going to the local high school on 2 consecutive Sundays to get the new polio vaccine on a sugar cube (I think it was the Sabin version as opposed to Salk).  

I had no problems enrolling in school until I was registering for my masters in education.  Prospective students had to provide proof of immunization.  Since my pediatrician had died a long time before and we had no idea where the records may have been, I would have had to get the titres.  When I read the instructions carefully, students born before 1/1/1957 ( as I was) were exempt from the requirement.

Vaccinatons have prevented more illnesses , death and disabilities than people think they may have caused.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

Pinterest's perfect response to misinformation

And so I was delighted to see that Pinterest had taken note of this phenomenon — and taken a surprisingly bold step to protect against it. Here are Robert McMillan and Daniela Hernandez in the Wall Street Journal:

Pinterest has stopped returning results for searches related to vaccinations, a drastic step the social-media company said is aimed at curbing the spread of misinformation but one that demonstrates the power of tech companies to censor discussion of hot-button issues.

Most shared images on Pinterest relating to vaccination cautioned against it, contradicting established medical guidelines and research showing that vaccines are safe, Pinterest said. The image-searching platform tried to remove the anti-vaccination content, a Pinterest spokeswoman said, but has been unable to remove it completely.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 9

• 2 weeks later...

Teen Who Defied Anti-Vaxx Mom To Testify Before Congress About Vaccine Misinformation   Ethan Lindenberger, 18, will discuss his decision to get vaccinated despite his mom’s beliefs in front of the Senate health committee.

This is a brave step for an 18-year-old kid.  Another article says that he's a high school senior, so I assume he's still living at home.  I'd guess things might be a little tense, because the mom was interviewed and had this to say: 

Spoiler

Wheeler told online science magazine Undark that her son’s decision felt like a “slap in the face.”

It was like him spitting on me,” she said, “saying ‘You don’t know anything, I don’t trust you with anything. You don’t know what you’re talking about. You did make a bad decision and I’m gonna go fix it.’”

I'd like to see a meningitis vaccination in there also.  Meningococcal vaccination is a requirement for entering students at the Big State University where I worked; new students cannot register for classes without this vaccination. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I'm one of those people who can't keep a positive titer.  I was born in 1960 and got the problematic vaccine in 1963.  When I was in college in 1980 there were outbreaks and I got the MMR series.  Then in 2005 when I enrolled in grad school I got a titer done and showed no immunity so I had the series again.  In 2009 when I became an EMT I had to get the titer to volunteer in the ER and once again no immunity.  I didn't get the shots again.  Last week there was a measles pt at the ER and they said that anyone there between 1:30 and 3:30 was exposed.  I was there at 4:15.  I'm not terribly worried because I was similarly exposed in college before the new vaccines and didn't get it.  In general, I'm the person who never catches things but if I were a person with less of an immune system I'd be freaking out now.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

@Howl, Ethan Lindenberger has been making sure his voice is heard. Good for him! I think I first heard his story when you linked to an NPR article about him:

On 2/10/2019 at 9:42 AM, Howl said:

I came across an article on NPR today about an 18-year-old kid still living at home who decided to get himself vaccinated.  His mom said it "felt like a slap in the face."

Defying Parents, A Teen Decides To Get Vaccinated

Then, I saw a segment about him on the NBC Nightly News, and now he's speaking before the Senate health committee. The willingness and ability of the current generation of adolescents (teens and 20 somethings) to speak out on important topics, and get attention drawn to their causes impresses me.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

I was born in 75, and despite having the MMR shot, I had mumps when I was 10. I still got the booster before junior high, but I don't remember if it was the booster that was ineffective, or the first shot as I don't remember when I actually got the booster shot. Later when I was in college, you had to bring in proof of measles/MMR vaccination or get the booster from the student health center in order to register for the second semester freshmen classes. Despite my vaccine failure, I do think it helped as the case of mumps I had was so mild, I almost went to school with swollen cheeks because I felt fine otherwise. I do get to say that I started summer vacation a few days early that year, as it was the last week of school. I don't think the meningitis vaccine was available yet when I was in college, so the only thing that was a concern was making sure all freshmen had all their vaccines.

• Upvote 5

It's sad that teens are having to rebel against their parents just to get vaccinated. This meme sums it up

images (1).jpeg

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

I'm incredulous that Wakefield's piece of bull**** report is still having an impact all these years later.  Some people will grab onto anything to support their view.  The measles outbreak is going to get an awful lot worse before it gets better.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, Syriana said:

I'm incredulous that Wakefield's piece of bull**** report is still having an impact all these years later.  Some people will grab onto anything to support their view.  The measles outbreak is going to get an awful lot worse before it gets better.

I was 11 when the report came out and I remember hearing it on the news and thinking this is not true, I looked into it in further details a couple of years later and still found it unbelievable. I went to college with two women whose eldest son's both had autism, they both had younger son's and one chose not to give her younger son the MMR even though she knew that their was no link, those lies had made her feel guilty and she was scared of it happening again, even when logically she knew it wasn't the case. Wakefield and his lies had gotten into her head. I wonder how many other parent's were the same.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I wonder how many other parent's were the same.

Hundreds, probably thousands!  There will have been many who (understandably) took the report at face value, there will have been many more who knew that their autistic child hadn't been made that way because of a vaccine but wondered if the vaccine could be 'a cause' if not the only one.  There will also have been those who thought that the report didn't ring true but when it came down to decision time thought 'what if'.  I don't blame any of those parents for the decisions they made back then, but the report has been debunked for 20 years so I'm out of patience for people who cite it as a reason not to vaccinate.

• Upvote 11

A new study debunking the vaccine connection but it won't matter 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

I was speaking with a medical professional about this yesterday and she said she always goes back to statistics. 

If everyone stops vaccinating, your chance of having something go very wrong with your health because of a vaccine preventable disease is 1 in 20.

Your chance of something going very wrong with a vaccination is 1 in 1000000.

2 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

A new study debunking the vaccine connection but it won't matter 

I was just going to link to the exact same study!

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/landmark-report-blows-popular-antivaxxer-myth-out-of-the-water/news-story/f3a250ce63d1ba42933c07227fb2e0e7

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, adidas said:

I was speaking with a medical professional about this yesterday and she said she always goes back to statistics. 

If everyone stops vaccinating, your chance of having something go very wrong with your health because of a vaccine preventable disease is 1 in 20.

Your chance of something going very wrong with a vaccination is 1 in 1000000.

I'll admit I'm not fully vaccinated - I'm one of the 1 in a million who has an anaphylactic reaction and any vaccination I can't avoid is a production involving hospitals, crash carts and numerous HCP's - but I didn't realise the risk of major problems from a vaccine-preventable disease was 1/20 if everyone stopped vaccinating.  I knew it was pretty high, but not that high.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

Of course there are very rare cases where vaccination results in really bad complications. But you have that with every medication even the pain killers many people take. There‘s no certainty in life, what can go wrong will eventually go wrong but what are the odds? On the other side there‘s the chance of eradicating those horrible diseases.

I‘m very concerned. Measles are on the rise in my country as well and the recommendation for the MMR for babies is at the age of 12 months or if they go to daycare 9 months. I’m afraid more and more children who aren‘t old enough to get vaccinated will eventually get measles.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Smash! said:

Of course there are very rare cases where vaccination results in really bad complications. But you have that with every medication even the pain killers many people take. There‘s no certainty in life, what can go wrong will eventually go wrong but what are the odds? On the other side there‘s the chance of eradicating those horrible diseases.

I‘m very concerned. Measles are on the rise in my country as well and the recommendation for the MMR for babies is at the age of 12 months or if they go to daycare 9 months. I’m afraid more and more children who aren‘t old enough to get vaccinated will eventually get measles.

My children are vaccinated, which with my history was an absolutely terrifying process but they're adopted so no chance that my issues may have been passed on.  My one major gripe is the difficulty in getting an HCP to admit that a reaction was caused by a vaccine, even when I've gone from perfectly fine to fighting for my life in less than a minute - they'll easily admit it with any other medication (it really bugs me!)!

You know something really worrying is happening when vaccination schedules are being changed to try and give increased protection from an earlier age.  Herd immunity is so very important, it protects those who are too young to be vaccinated, those who can't be vaccinated and those who are immunocompromised for whatever reason. 

• Love 12

My one major gripe is the difficulty in getting an HCP to admit that a reaction was caused by a vaccine, even when I've gone from perfectly fine to fighting for my life in less than a minute - they'll easily admit it with any other medication (it really bugs me!)!

Very valid point and I think this is one of the reasons people start doubting science and their doctors. They have forgotten to take the average people concerns seriously and fail to pick them up where they are. It‘s the same with politics or climate change etc., I think it‘s the same pattern. So people feel lost and some tend to believe other, seemingly more believable sources.
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

On 2/20/2019 at 11:41 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

Also sometimes people get offended when they’re told that a lot of evidence points to autism being genetic. As if somehow that’s their fault, that people have any control over their genes. I could go on a whole rant right now.

Honestly, for my family, my cousin being diagnosed with Asperger's was more of an answer than a problem. Not only could we get my cousin help adjusting to the surrounding world with that diagnosis, but it explained so much for my family, especially my dad's side. Moreso with the idea of a genetic link. My brother was diagnosed ADD in the early 90s, but that never seemed to fit, especially when Ritalin didn't help him and he was and is completely capable of focusing on the same thing for hours at a time, if he's interested. 

Frankly, when my son was born, because I knew of the diagnosis and the genetic link, I was able to tell the pediatrician that there may be a risk of my child being Asperger's/on the autism spectrum, and therefore have it be something we could watch for and get interventions early if needed, because the best thing for it is early intervention. Happily, he isn't, but it's still something I'll have to keep in mind for any other children. I don't get why any concerned parent wouldn't want that knowledge.

8 hours ago, Syriana said:

I'll admit I'm not fully vaccinated - I'm one of the 1 in a million who has an anaphylactic reaction and any vaccination I can't avoid is a production involving hospitals, crash carts and numerous HCP's - but I didn't realise the risk of major problems from a vaccine-preventable disease was 1/20 if everyone stopped vaccinating.  I knew it was pretty high, but not that high.

And you are why I vaccinate. Because of you and anyone else who can't get them for medical reasons.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 14

9 hours ago, Syriana said:

My children are vaccinated, which with my history was an absolutely terrifying process but they're adopted so no chance that my issues may have been passed on.  My one major gripe is the difficulty in getting an HCP to admit that a reaction was caused by a vaccine, even when I've gone from perfectly fine to fighting for my life in less than a minute - they'll easily admit it with any other medication (it really bugs me!)!

You know something really worrying is happening when vaccination schedules are being changed to try and give increased protection from an earlier age.  Herd immunity is so very important, it protects those who are too young to be vaccinated, those who can't be vaccinated and those who are immunocompromised for whatever reason. 

I’m glad you’re able to get through your worries and vaccinate your children. I agrrr with @Smash! about doctors forgetting to address individual concerns. I also think the anti-vaccine movement makes health practitioners extra definitive of vaccines. Like if they admit there is a 1 in a million chance someone will have a negative reaction, the anti-vaxxers win. They may also assume someone with concerns has gotten all their information from social media, rather than actually having experienced a negative reaction.

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Honestly, for my family, my cousin being diagnosed with Asperger's was more of an answer than a problem. Not only could we get my cousin help adjusting to the surrounding world with that diagnosis, but it explained so much for my family, especially my dad's side. Moreso with the idea of a genetic link. My brother was diagnosed ADD in the early 90s, but that never seemed to fit, especially when Ritalin didn't help him and he was and is completely capable of focusing on the same thing for hours at a time, if he's interested. 

Frankly, when my son was born, because I knew of the diagnosis and the genetic link, I was able to tell the pediatrician that there may be a risk of my child being Asperger's/on the autism spectrum, and therefore have it be something we could watch for and get interventions early if needed, because the best thing for it is early intervention. Happily, he isn't, but it's still something I'll have to keep in mind for any other children. I don't get why any concerned parent wouldn't want that knowledge.

I can’t understand why people get so upset over this explanation either. It helps plan for the future and care for your child. One of my friends has a child with various health issues but no diagnosis. Which makes it harder to know what the future holds and how to plan, etc.

Also in reaction to the Congressional hearing today, an anti-vaccine site said that the measles aren’t a concern because more people die from gun violence and opioids (maybe people aren’t dying because of vaccines, dumbasses) and that the measles in the US aren’t the same as the measles in other countries where people are dying. The denial is strong with some people.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 6
  • Thank You 1