IGNORED

Measles on the rise worldwide

Howl

Mhm, with the anti-vaxxers and the "let's put a giant coal mine in the Barrier Reef" the stupidity is going strong. Don't even get me started on those One Nation ads...

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I'm really just hoping that the plethora of vanity parties splits the One Nation vote to the point that they crash and burn, while none of the vanities get seats.  Seriously this new Senate is either going to be a major trainwreck or (hopefully) very bland with a large enough swinging minority to make it difficult for whichever party takes government but not a lot of crazy people. Although I could live with Ricky Muir getting back in - I disagree with him on a number of issues, but he at least has some life experience and a different perspective from a large number of the people in Parliament.

• Upvote 2

What’s crazy about all the antivax nutters coming out of the woodwork now is that some of them are not much younger than my mother. Who had measles aged 8 alongside her infant brother who nearly died. My mother now has permanent hearing damage that cannot be corrected with a hearing aid because of the measles. 

A child in the same area died in the same outbreak. This was the 60s in rural Scotland, outbreaks in cities killed hundreds because they were in much closer proximity to each other.

There was a smallish whooping cough outbreak in 2015, I caught it from a man who came to do work in our house. Both of us had been vaccinated but vaccine had become less effective over time.

I honestly wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I woke up several times s night for months gasping for air. I coughed so hard I hurt the muscles around my ribs. I coughed until I threw up and had gone purple.

Surely, anyone would want to protect their kids from that.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 9

Whooping cough has only become a problem since people stopped vaccinating their kids.

It does need a booster shot to keep your titres up; but back in the day you wouldn't catch it because there was no anti-vaxx movement.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Whooping cough has only become a problem since people stopped vaccinating their kids.

It does need a booster shot to keep your titres up; but back in the day you wouldn't catch it because there was no anti-vaxx movement.

This is basically what the GP said to me. It also took 4 visits for them to figure out I had it because she was only in her 30s and had never seen whooping cough before. 

This is probably part of why it spread so fast. No one knew what was wrong until it was too late. Thankfully it only managed to infect a handful of people before it was caught. I spent 2 weeks confined to my home but by then I might have infected a few people which is awful.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, unsafetydancer said:

This is basically what the GP said to me. It also took 4 visits for them to figure out I had it because she was only in her 30s and had never seen whooping cough before. 

This is probably part of why it spread so fast. No one knew what was wrong until it was too late. Thankfully it only managed to infect a handful of people before it was caught. I spent 2 weeks confined to my home but by then I might have infected a few people which is awful.

You can’t be any worse than the Millers. Who traveled around in an RV spreading their whooping cough to the churches they visited. Then their baby almost died of it. Yet they are still anti vaccine. Morons. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, Howl said:

Yup, The Underground Bunker (Tony Ortega) has confirmed on his website that the Freewinds is quarantined in St. Lucia due to a measles outbreak on board. 

CONFIRMED: Scientology’s ‘Freewinds’ is the ship quarantined for measles in St. Lucia

I read that story right before coming to FJ tonight.  It seriously sounds like the ship's captain/crew/whatever had no intention of telling the next port of call that they had a confirmed measles case. If the previous port had not called them and reported it, then the ship would have docked and who knows how many people would have been unknowingly exposed?  Unbelievable and frankly, immoral in my opinion.  But then it's Scientology and they don't care about anybody or anything else.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

From CNN today: 

The doctor on a quarantined cruise ship has asked for 100 doses of the measles vaccine. The ship, owned by the Church of Scientology and with about 300 passengers and crew, left St. Lucia and is returning to its home port in Curaçao. One female crew member has the highly contagious disease. It's not clear when passengers will be allowed off the ship.

• Upvote 3

More in the line of snark, from the Daily Beast  Inside Scientology’s Measles-Infested Million-Dollar Cruise for True Believers

Keep in mind that there is one diagnosed case of measles, but considering the tight quarters on a ship and the astoundingly infectious natures of the measles virus, it's just a matter of time.  The greater joy is the number of whales (high rolling wealthy $cinos) trapped on board...they'll just have to take more courses as they head up the Rainbow Bridge to Total Freedom.  

• Upvote 7

Along with leaving port, the article I read said that the measles case was actually diagnosed in Aruba and that the ship had been to at least one port of call before heading to St. Lucia.

• WTF 7

Measles Encephalitis can also be a very serious complication. The Encephalitis Society (in the UK) states on their website that 1 or 2 out of every 1,000 children with measles will develop Encephalitis - of those, 25% will experience permanent neurological damage and 10-15% of Encephalitis cases are fatal. The Cleveland Clinic also states one out of every thousand measles pediatric patients will develop Encephalitis. In 1986, Children's Author Roald Dahl wrote a letter to parents urging them to vaccinate their children. In it, he talked about when his eldest child, Olivia, had Measles and developed Encephalitis as a result in 1962:

“Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.
'Are you feeling all right?' I asked her.
'I feel all sleepy,' she said.
In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.
The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was...in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her. On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles.
...I dedicated two of my books to Olivia, the first was ‘James and the Giant Peach’. That was when she was still alive. The second was ‘The BFG’, dedicated to her memory after she had died from measles. You will see her name at the beginning of each of these books. And I know how happy she would be if only she could know that her death had helped to save a good deal of illness and death among other children."

His full letter is here. Olivia’s death left him understandably devastated, but I’m grateful he was able to take that experience and use it to advocate for the welfare of other children.

I really think the only vaccination exemptions that should be allowed are medical exemptions for those people who can’t safely get vaccinated for some reason. Someone’s religious beliefs shouldn’t be allowed to trump another person’s right to good health or life, but that’s exactly what’s happening.

• I Agree 2
  • Love 14

On 5/1/2019 at 10:38 PM, Howl said:

Yup, The Underground Bunker (Tony Ortega) has confirmed on his website that the Freewinds is quarantined in St. Lucia due to a measles outbreak on board. 

CONFIRMED: Scientology’s ‘Freewinds’ is the ship quarantined for measles in St. Lucia

These woo woo ass has put not only themselves at risk. They endangered the lives of the crew who didn’t ask to be exposed to this insanity 

• Upvote 8

According to this segment on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, some anti-vaxxers are using an episode of The Brady Bunch to “prove” that “Measles weren’t that big a deal when it was a common illness”:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

According to this segment on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, some anti-vaxxers are using an episode of The Brady Bunch to “prove” that “Measles weren’t that big a deal when it was a common illness”:

Yes. Maureen McCormick, who played Marcia on the show, is pretty furious about that:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/health/brady-bunch-maureen-mccormick-slams-anti-vaxxers-marcia-measles-meme.amp

• Upvote 9

I wonder what Roald Dahl would have made of the Antivax movement today, he would have been great at putting them down on social media. I loved him growing up and remember reading about the tragedy's him and his family seemed to suffer from. He was a toddler when his older sister died from appendicitis, his father died a few months later. The plane he was flying in the war crashed and he suffered a head injury. His son, Theo was left seriously injured after a taxi struck his carriage and Dahl helped design the stent that was used to drain the fluid from his brain, his Wife suffered brain aneurysm's while pregnant with their youngest child and she had to relearn how to walk and talk. 

I fear other diseases worse than measles making a comeback if more isn't done with anti vaxxer's

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On 5/4/2019 at 7:53 AM, VelociRapture said:

Yes. Maureen McCormick, who played Marcia on the show, is pretty furious about that:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/health/brady-bunch-maureen-mccormick-slams-anti-vaxxers-marcia-measles-meme.amp

The Brady Bunch is a children’s show depicted from a kid’s perspective, not a medical documentary. Most children who get an infectious disease aren’t going to think about possible complications or death, but will probably feel excited (at first anyway) about being able to skip school. This is how I felt when I was first diagnosed with chickenpox as a child (1992) and it wasn’t until I was in the thick of the illness that I realized that I felt like crap and would have preferred to be well and at school. That episode of the Brady Bunch doesn’t show the part of the measles where all of the kids would have been itchy, miserable, and feverish.

• Upvote 8

I had chicken pox in the mid-70s(long before the vaccine was available)and I was itchy, feverish, and miserable.  I do understand why the sitcom glossed over the symptoms(Maureen mentioned that she had the measles IRL and it was nothing like the show).

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I had chicken pox in the mid-70s(long before the vaccine was available)and I was itchy, feverish, and miserable.  I do understand why the sitcom glossed over the symptoms(Maureen mentioned that she had the measles IRL and it was nothing like the show).

That reality is nothing like the show is the part that the anti-vaxers are choosing not to see.  It's a tv show, and from the 70's especially it would not have been realistic.  But I guess realistic is not real according to some people.  It's similar to how Lori, for example, seems to think that the 1950's was like it was on shows like Father Knows Best.  It wasn't real and most people in that time period knew that they were not living the same lifestyle shown on tv.  But it's still held up as an ideal.

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Not measles, but chickenpox

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/teen-who-sued-over-school-ban-for-refusing-vaccine-now-has-chickenpox/ar-AAB5wCG?ocid=spartanntp

He's probably like, yay, what other vaccine-preventable diseases can I catch?

We don't have the chicken pox vaccine here but if we did have it, I would vaccinate any children I had in a heartbeat. I had chicken pox when I was 1 and shingles when I was 12, I was too young to remember having the chicken pox but I remember the shingles, I noticed my lip was swollen on the Thursday night and by the time I got up for school next day my full face had swollen and a rash was starting to appear, mum got me straight to the doctor's who said it is most likely shingles and put me on antibiotics before it had a chance to come on fully. Even without it spreading and rashes fully forming my face swelling up was bad enough and it was a struggle to eat or drink until the swelling went down.

• Sad 4
  • Love 2

There was an anti-vax turned pro-vax mom on Fox And Friends this morning (not actually watching, just flipping through the channels). Let’s see if it provokes any tweets.

• Thank You 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mumps outbreaks are springing up in the late teens/early twenties demographic in the UK - some of those affected have been fully vaccinated but because 2 doses of MMR only gives immunity to ~88% of people, the drop in herd immunity is starting to show.

• Sad 6

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this with a bit of good news. It leads to hope.

Australia has sold out of flu vaccines so we’ve had to order an extra half million for the next week or two, and more will arrive after that.

So far, 12 million people have been vaccinated for the coming season (which seems to have already arrived with 112 deaths at this stage :( ). Our population is only 24.6 million so that’s pretty good in terms of vaccination rates. 

They recommend vaccinations start later in the season here because traditionally we have a later peak, I think the worst of ours hits in August when all of the April vaxes start to wear off and the virus is running rampant. There has been an unprecedented demand for the flu vax this year (last year’s flu season was pretty brutal here), hence them ordering extra to be sent quickly.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

We have finally managed to get all of us done (got mine through work, husband and child had appt but child was sick twice, so took him into the clinic today on the grounds that he appeared to be well enough.) Hopefully we can all stay well *touch wood*.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1