• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Howl

Measles on the rise worldwide

GoddessOfVictory

I didn't know where else to put this but I thought it might fit here. (Also, check out the font and names above the doors. Clearly the artist ran across that one mommy blogger who gets mentioned at FJ sometimes and whose name and blog I have otherwise forgotten).

GoddessOfVictory
13 minutes ago, adidas said:

Oh that’s McKinli Hatch. I didn’t know she was anti vax too.

I have no idea if she is anti vax or not, I didn't look into it because I couldn't remember her name or blog. So, I'm not sure if that's why the artist chose her names and font or chose them for some other reason.

Enraged
onekidanddone

3rd measles case confirmed in Md.; possible public exposure in Pikesville

Like some of the towns in New York State have pockets of very insular Orthodox Hasidic Jews.  PPP would be shocked to learn he has more in common with those Jews than he thinks.  Rigid interpretation of the Bible, keeping apart from 'worldly' things, and mistrusting science, the government and anybody who is not like them.

Now I don't know for sure this Pikesville outbreak is connected to the Jewish community, but it did catch my eye.

A third case of measles has been confirmed in a Maryland resident. People in three public places in Baltimore County may have been exposed, the Maryland Department of Health said Wednesday.

Anyone who visited the following locations at these times may have been exposed:

4000 Old Court Rd in Pikesville on Sunday, April 14 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Market Maven (1630 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville) on Sunday, April 14 from 11:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Seven Mile Market (201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville) on Sunday, April 14 from 12:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.

People who have been exposed at other locations are being notified directly, according to the Maryland Department of Health.

Measles can easily be spread to people who aren’t vaccinated through coughing, sneezing and secretions from the mouth. The virus can survive in the air for up to two hours.

Those who have been vaccinated but have compromised immune systems are urged to call their doctors.

Those who have not been vaccinated and have been exposed are urged to call their doctors before visiting so special arrangements can be made without putting others at risk.

Terrie

Can I just note that the Orthodox Jewish community in Michigan is a great contrast to the one in New York? There, the outbreak is mainly among adults who are of an age where they only got a single dose of the MMR, so they are more likely to not have immunity 30, 40 years later. The religious leaders have made it clear that as Jewish religious thought put the value of life above all else, everyone is required to make sure they had 2 shots as a child and if they can't, they need to get titers checked or get a second shot. 

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/04/17/measles-outbreaks-among-orthodox-jewish-communities/

Enraged
onekidanddone
20 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Can I just note that the Orthodox Jewish community in Michigan is a great contrast to the one in New York? There, the outbreak is mainly among adults who are of an age where they only got a single dose of the MMR, so they are more likely to not have immunity 30, 40 years later. The religious leaders have made it clear that as Jewish religious thought put the value of life above all else, everyone is required to make sure they had 2 shots as a child and if they can't, they need to get titers checked or get a second shot. 

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/04/17/measles-outbreaks-among-orthodox-jewish-communities/

I remember getting a second shot when I was about 12 or 13 (I'm 55 now).  

TheOneAndOnly

Mumps is creeping up again too. If anyone had asked 30 years ago what problems we'd be facing today... smh

Ozlsn

I'm wondering if the waning immunity in adults is also linked to the lack of ongoing exposure to the viruses. Historically speaking you'd get measles early in life (usually before age 3, later if you were in a more isolated setting) and then (if you survived) it was assumed that you had lifelong immunity - and for most people that assumption held true (some obviously had immune system problems that made it obvious they didn't.) But there was still a fairly constant exposure to the virus as it circulated - even those who weren't getting sick were getting essentially booster exposures on a pretty regular basis  (more so once they had susceptible kids). So I'm wondering now if you did a study on e.g. college age and mid-40s and mid-60s age groups to look at titre levels whether you would find lowered titres in all those groups, and whether that would indicate that regular boosters in adulthood at maybe 10-15 year intervals are warranted.

Dammit, now I want to write a grant and do that study, or see if it's been done already (probably, but I am not going on PubMed on my phone. Later, when I have a computer...)