IGNORED

Measles on the rise worldwide

Howl

I didn't know where else to put this but I thought it might fit here. (Also, check out the font and names above the doors. Clearly the artist ran across that one mommy blogger who gets mentioned at FJ sometimes and whose name and blog I have otherwise forgotten).

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, adidas said:

Oh that’s McKinli Hatch. I didn’t know she was anti vax too.

I have no idea if she is anti vax or not, I didn't look into it because I couldn't remember her name or blog. So, I'm not sure if that's why the artist chose her names and font or chose them for some other reason.

• Thank You 2

3rd measles case confirmed in Md.; possible public exposure in Pikesville

Like some of the towns in New York State have pockets of very insular Orthodox Hasidic Jews.  PPP would be shocked to learn he has more in common with those Jews than he thinks.  Rigid interpretation of the Bible, keeping apart from 'worldly' things, and mistrusting science, the government and anybody who is not like them.

Now I don't know for sure this Pikesville outbreak is connected to the Jewish community, but it did catch my eye.

A third case of measles has been confirmed in a Maryland resident. People in three public places in Baltimore County may have been exposed, the Maryland Department of Health said Wednesday.

Anyone who visited the following locations at these times may have been exposed:

4000 Old Court Rd in Pikesville on Sunday, April 14 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Market Maven (1630 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville) on Sunday, April 14 from 11:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Seven Mile Market (201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville) on Sunday, April 14 from 12:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.

People who have been exposed at other locations are being notified directly, according to the Maryland Department of Health.

Measles can easily be spread to people who aren’t vaccinated through coughing, sneezing and secretions from the mouth. The virus can survive in the air for up to two hours.

Those who have been vaccinated but have compromised immune systems are urged to call their doctors.

Those who have not been vaccinated and have been exposed are urged to call their doctors before visiting so special arrangements can be made without putting others at risk.

• Upvote 2

Can I just note that the Orthodox Jewish community in Michigan is a great contrast to the one in New York? There, the outbreak is mainly among adults who are of an age where they only got a single dose of the MMR, so they are more likely to not have immunity 30, 40 years later. The religious leaders have made it clear that as Jewish religious thought put the value of life above all else, everyone is required to make sure they had 2 shots as a child and if they can't, they need to get titers checked or get a second shot. 

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/04/17/measles-outbreaks-among-orthodox-jewish-communities/

• Upvote 8
  • Love 6

20 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Can I just note that the Orthodox Jewish community in Michigan is a great contrast to the one in New York? There, the outbreak is mainly among adults who are of an age where they only got a single dose of the MMR, so they are more likely to not have immunity 30, 40 years later. The religious leaders have made it clear that as Jewish religious thought put the value of life above all else, everyone is required to make sure they had 2 shots as a child and if they can't, they need to get titers checked or get a second shot. 

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/04/17/measles-outbreaks-among-orthodox-jewish-communities/

I remember getting a second shot when I was about 12 or 13 (I'm 55 now).  

• Upvote 2

Mumps is creeping up again too. If anyone had asked 30 years ago what problems we'd be facing today... smh

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I'm wondering if the waning immunity in adults is also linked to the lack of ongoing exposure to the viruses. Historically speaking you'd get measles early in life (usually before age 3, later if you were in a more isolated setting) and then (if you survived) it was assumed that you had lifelong immunity - and for most people that assumption held true (some obviously had immune system problems that made it obvious they didn't.) But there was still a fairly constant exposure to the virus as it circulated - even those who weren't getting sick were getting essentially booster exposures on a pretty regular basis  (more so once they had susceptible kids). So I'm wondering now if you did a study on e.g. college age and mid-40s and mid-60s age groups to look at titre levels whether you would find lowered titres in all those groups, and whether that would indicate that regular boosters in adulthood at maybe 10-15 year intervals are warranted.

Dammit, now I want to write a grant and do that study, or see if it's been done already (probably, but I am not going on PubMed on my phone. Later, when I have a computer...)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

On 4/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, onekidanddone said:

I remember getting a second shot when I was about 12 or 13 (I'm 55 now).  

I'm a few years older than you and had a second shot when I was in college.  Since I spend some time in the NYC area, and small outbreaks are occurring closer to where I live, I just had blood drawn for a measles titer.  Should be fine but I want to be sure.  Not concerned about mumps or rubella since I had both.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the titer results back?

• Upvote 4

On 4/19/2019 at 12:26 AM, Ozlsn said:

I'm wondering if the waning immunity in adults is also linked to the lack of ongoing exposure to the viruses. Historically speaking you'd get measles early in life (usually before age 3, later if you were in a more isolated setting) and then (if you survived) it was assumed that you had lifelong immunity - and for most people that assumption held true (some obviously had immune system problems that made it obvious they didn't.) But there was still a fairly constant exposure to the virus as it circulated - even those who weren't getting sick were getting essentially booster exposures on a pretty regular basis  (more so once they had susceptible kids). So I'm wondering now if you did a study on e.g. college age and mid-40s and mid-60s age groups to look at titre levels whether you would find lowered titres in all those groups, and whether that would indicate that regular boosters in adulthood at maybe 10-15 year intervals are warranted.

Dammit, now I want to write a grant and do that study, or see if it's been done already (probably, but I am not going on PubMed on my phone. Later, when I have a computer...)

So I've been wondering about this. I also thought that the "get it once and be immune forever" thing was because you'd be getting constant "booster exposures" like you said, but then I read the other day that now they think getting exposed repeatedly lowers your immunity? And now I'm confused ?

• Upvote 2

@meee Are you referring to the discovery that measles appears to wipe out your immune history? What that means is that diseases you got prior to measles, you may have weaker or no immunity. It refers to active disease, not just exposure. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/03/measles-vaccine-protect-disease-immune-amnesia/

I found my vaccine card, and thankfully was given a second dose in junior high. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

@meee Are you referring to the discovery that measles appears to wipe out your immune history? What that means is that diseases you got prior to measles, you may have weaker or no immunity. It refers to active disease, not just exposure. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/03/measles-vaccine-protect-disease-immune-amnesia/

I found my vaccine card, and thankfully was given a second dose in junior high. 

No, I'm saying that I read the other day that repeated exposure to measles, in a vaccinated person, can cause the immunity to wear off. No idea where I read that, I went to try to find it to see if it was a reputable source, so I hope I'm wrong because that sounds kind of scary for all of us these days.

• Thank You 3

Is it just Measles making a comeback or is it Rubella as well? My initial pregnancy bloodwork came back this time as showing I’m not quite as immune to Rubella as I should be. I’ve had that run three times this year - twice at a fertility clinic before my pregnancy and once at my normal OBGYN after learning I was pregnant - the second test result was fine, but the first and third tests came back just under the immunity threshold. I’m not too concerned about it, but Rubella can cause significant complications during pregnancy and I won’t be able to get the shot again until after I give birth - so I’ll need to stay aware of any Rubella outbreaks in my area. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 6

I was under the dryer at the beauty shop the other day, and was having a nice conversation with the woman next to me when she started making anti-vax noises. I told her I knew survivors of polio and most people who are against vaccinations don't know anyone affected by the diseases they protect against because vaccinations work to protect public health. I mentioned how, before the polio vaccine specifically, parents were afraid to let their children play in pools and such for fear of them getting sick and ending up in an iron lung. I also said that there is absolutely nothing you can take in your body that is 100% risk free, including seemingly healthy greens from your grocery that may be contaminated with listeria or e-coli.

Another point I made was that vaccines have been thoroughly and scientifically tested, and the benefit far outweighs the risk, which isn't anywhere near that espoused by hysterical anti-vaxxers. Not to mention that anti-vaxxers (and woo promulgators in general) often have a financial incentive to push their agenda against standard medicine. In other words, they are scamming people. I also gave her a short course in herd immunity. I said all of this nicely, but no way I can sit by and hear bullshit. She seemed like a woo person (inflammation causes lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, nutrition cures everything, etc.), but I hope I gave her something to thing about. She was quiet and really didn't try to argue with me. The battle is real y'all. This was a college-educated middle class person.

And I think PSA campaigns work. Smoking went from being cool to being unwelcome just about everywhere in large part due to negative publicity. PETA was successful in creating a lot of anti-fur sentiment. We can't give up on fighting against stupidity and ignorance. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 21

@SilverBeach, BRAVO!!!!

That was wonderful.  I hope she listened and really thinks about what you said.  Also, if anyone else heard the discussion then you may have educated them as well.  Having known multiple people that were polio survivors, I am proud of you!

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

On 4/27/2019 at 9:59 AM, VelociRapture said:

Is it just Measles making a comeback or is it Rubella as well? My initial pregnancy bloodwork came back this time as showing I’m not quite as immune to Rubella as I should be. I’ve had that run three times this year - twice at a fertility clinic before my pregnancy and once at my normal OBGYN after learning I was pregnant - the second test result was fine, but the first and third tests came back just under the immunity threshold. I’m not too concerned about it, but Rubella can cause significant complications during pregnancy and I won’t be able to get the shot again until after I give birth - so I’ll need to stay aware of any Rubella outbreaks in my area. 

I think it's mostly measles, but in my area (SE PA) there was a mumps outbreak, as well. I haven't seen anything about rubella, thankfully.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

When I was about 14, I spent an entire week feeling awful. I was tired, felt feverish..... I would come home and just sleep. People were assuming I had mono. That Saturday, my parents went to a St. Patrick's dinner at the church. When they got home my mom peeked in on me and I was covered in spots/welts. My fever was also super high. They rushed me to the ER and I was placed on a cold mat. Then they put me in isolation.  I don't remember them saying I had the measles or something else, but I was in isolation for several days. I have no one to ask as the doctor and my dad are gone and my mom has dementia. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

On 4/27/2019 at 7:59 AM, VelociRapture said:

Is it just Measles making a comeback or is it Rubella as well? My initial pregnancy bloodwork came back this time as showing I’m not quite as immune to Rubella as I should be.

You may have already looked this up yourself, but I found some helpful information from the CDC. It sounds like Rubella isn't currently a widespread problem.

Today, less than 10 people in the United States are reported as having rubella each year. Since 2012, all rubella cases had evidence that they were infected when they were living or traveling outside the United States. 

I imagine the problem is that the same people who didn't get properly vaccinated for measles also don't have any immunity for rubella. I don't think it is a highly contagious as measles, for what that's worth. I'm glad you're checking on things like that with your doctors. Hopefully they will let you know if any rubella outbreaks happen in your region. 

@libgirl2, I wonder if the hospital where you were in the ER and isolation might have records of your treatment? I don't know how long most hospitals keep old records, but it's possible they might have some basic information, like your diagnosis.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

24 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

You may have already looked this up yourself, but I found some helpful information from the CDC. It sounds like Rubella isn't currently a widespread problem.

I imagine the problem is that the same people who didn't get properly vaccinated for measles also don't have any immunity for rubella. I don't think it is a highly contagious as measles, for what that's worth. I'm glad you're checking on things like that with your doctors. Hopefully they will let you know if any rubella outbreaks happen in your region. 

@libgirl2, I wonder if the hospital where you were in the ER and isolation might have records of your treatment? I don't know how long most hospitals keep old records, but it's possible they might have some basic information, like your diagnosis.

I would be interested. At the time, I just wanted to get well. its something to think about, especially now. I do now the time frame. I was a Freshman and it was in March. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 3

SSPE is more common as we previously thought; as you said there's no cure and it is fatal.

Previously, researchers thought the risk of post-measles SSPE was one in 100,000, according to the study. But the new analysis suggests that kids who get the measles before age 5 have a one in 1,387 chance of developing SSPE, and kids who get the measles before age 1 have a one in 609 chance.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/deadly-measles-complication-more-common-than-doctors-thought/

Meanwhile, this popped up; posted it in weird ads too, what on earth?

imop.JPG

Edited by squiddysquid
  • Upvote 5

On 4/29/2019 at 9:12 AM, libgirl2 said:

I have no one to ask as the doctor and my dad are gone and my mom has dementia. 

Ask your current doctor if you can get a blood sample titered for measles. If you don't have access to a physician or clinic but are able to pay, you may be able to get a titer done on a walk-in basis at CVS or places like Accesa Labs.

My MD "prescribed" titering for me for chickenpox. Came back positive for Varicella, which meant I'd had it & needed to follow through with shingles shots.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

@squiddysquid oh the joys of an upcoming election. Judy Wileyman is running for them in WA. They are probably the most openly pro-disease of all the parties running in this election, although I think there's at least one more who think similarly but have the sense to have it as a minor policy (they still won't get in).

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1