IGNORED

Lori Alexander 58: A Family Holiday on the Toilet

HerNameIsBuffy

19 minutes ago, Blessings of the Corn said:

My mom bought my siblings and I ornaments each year from birth on - she'll still get me an ornament now and again from her various travels. I have ornaments from all around the world, as well as homemade, and when we each left home she gave us our ornaments and stockings. It's such fun walking down memory lane as my husband and I make our own traditions and decorate our tree.

I've gotten my girls an ornament each year since they left home. At first they weren't much interested as they were bouncing from one living situation to another, and not in the holiday decoration zone, but now both the married and the single one are glad to have them. I kept their childhood stockings for home celebrations. One kid often misses Christmas at home due to work or travel, and I try to get her filled stocking to her beforehand.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Why??? Why do they throw away instead of giving away? You can often even find a charity that will come and pick stuff up! And if not, “man with a van” services will take it to a second-hand store. I just...I’m flabbergasted, really. We just did a huge clearout, and throwing away versus giving away versus recycling were all effortful in their own ways. Why default to throwing away??? Honestly, the waste is just despicable.

Yes, it is despicable. It drives us nuts. When he has been able (read: found out in time), Mr. 05 has went and got some of it and donated it to our church's low income ministry--they use what is needed for clients and sell what isn't in a thrift store. And we have some stuff that we were able to use--our grill is father-in-law's from four grills ago. Still working just fine about 12 years after Mr. 05 rescued it from the curb. 

fckkkk.thumb.png.2973e4aa0eca28768ac82011e470ae12.pngUgh a buzzfeed writer said Lori's post is "going viral." I tried to see if there was a way to contact her and let her know who exactly Lori is because besides providing a link to the transformed wife blog, the author doesn't explain anything behind the "shaming." Personally, it disgusts me that Lori would even be worthy of a news article. I wish the author would just take it down and not give her attention and traffic! The only way it seems to contact her is through instagram DMs which seems odd. I'm just cringing at all the people who will read it and waste their time / not understand where it came from. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived