IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 6: They're More Frightened of Her than Ashamed

HerNameIsBuffy

My in-laws had the green flowered Corelle, and my mom has the plain white.  

When I got my first apartment at 22, I inherited most of  my great grandma’s furniture and housewares, including her dishes.  They were a pretty pink floral.  When I got married a few years later, we were gifted with a set of pressed glass dishes.  As time went on, for some reason people kept offering us inherited sets and giving us new sets for various holidays.  Almost all of them were service for four,  none were ugly, and all were either basic or mid-range.  Every few years we’d donate a set or sell one at a yard sale.  After 25 years, there had been thirteen that I remember, and not one of them was selected by me.  And only one selected by Mr. CL:  he’d gone on a work-related trip and toured the Homer Laughlin factory in West Virginia, and bought me red Fiesta (I was supposed to be a guest on that trip, but we’d had a massive snow storm the week before and my job was SEVERELY off-schedule so it was a bad time for me to take three days off during payroll processing.  The Fiesta Ware was my consolation prize).  

So a couple years ago, I realized I still had seven sets in the kitchen, the china cabinet, and the basement.  I said enough already, i’m paring down and everybody please stop giving me more.  I kept three sets:  the Fiesta, Christopher Rakdo Christmas Tree, and a floral plastic set for outside in summer.  Last fall, the plastic was showing its age so I replaced it with Corelle, and I finally chose a dish pattern for myself.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/6/2018 at 9:57 AM, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I have a very underweight child. I would make him this recipe IF he would eat it. But how to stop myself eating it??? 

No. Probably couldn’t. I’ll have to pass. 

But anyone have any super high calorie recipes please PM me them! He’s 13kg at 4 and while not tall he’s average height. I’m skinny too but not 1% skinny! 

No recipes, but my son's similar - think he's still hovering around 1-3rd percentile for both height and weight. I add cheese to pretty much everything he eats (he likes cheese) and sneak in as many calories (and vegies, sigh) as possible. It would help if he liked sweet things a bit more, but I'm mostly slathering butter onto his vegemite and cheese sandwiches in an attempt to bulk him up.

9 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

If taryn yager is the queen of photo blur, Hannah Elise is the queen of taking photos of her subjects looking at the ground. Not my fave. Chelsey looks good, John still looks like an elf from Lord of the rings to me.

I looked at them. They are not very good pictures, in my opinion. Not because of the subjects; John & Chelsy look pretty much just as John & Chelsy have looked all along and they're doing typical fundie newlywed, pregnant pictures. It's the photographer - her work does not impress me at all. 

Chelsy looks very bright. Multiple, contrasting colors & prints. How does Steve handle that given his fear of contrasting buttons? Maybe that's why there are black & white ones, so Steve doesn't have a heart attack. 

They do look very comfortable with each other. Not having an arranged marriage under the guise of courtship does a relationship good. There was conversation recently about fundie women clinging to their men - I've noticed that a lot too, starting with Dorothy hanging all over Noah for the first several years of their marriage, and Elissa hanging all over Joseph still. I don't know from nothing, but in a way I think that hanging is part of that courtship process. An insecurity of sorts. Chelsy & John touch and hug a lot, but they're newlyweds. And, they knew each other for over a year before marriage and actually dated for that time, sharing life & experiences and getting to know each other & what they want and need. They are still fundies, no excuses there, but their relationship is an actual relationship, not an arrangement for god, so they seem to be comfortable not only with each other, but with themselves. That's a lot of rambling to prove I don't know what I'm talking about, but there is a definite trend of fundie wives who courted hanging all over their husbands. And, these two don't seem to do that as much. Their touching and physical contact is mutual. 

Yes, all the Corelle I have broken did the shattering thing.   I learned from my Mom back in the 60's to take pieces of fresh bread and gently press the piece over the small pieces to pick them up.  I would use a small plate to press into the bread to keep from getting stabbed by the glass.       

Around 1980 I went to a Black Friday sale at WalMart and got two boxes of 4 place settings of a Corelle pattern that has larger green leaves and a coral colored tulip like flower.   The bowls have a plain green stripe.  

Does anyone remember Melmac dishes?  My Mom was thrilled beyond belief when my father got her a set of what we called "titty pink" Melmac dishes in the early 60's.  That stuff was virtually indestructible, scratched easily and was ugly as sin, but I have a few of the pieces from that original set.  

14 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Here is the public instagram of the photographer for the maternity photos. I checked and you don't need to be logged into instagram to see the photos so I'm hoping that's okay since it's her advertisement and is public.

https://www.instagram.com/hannahelisephotography/

Scroll down past John and Chelsy, and there’s a woman who will never be friends with Erin Paine—she has green hair.  It looks nice on her.

1 hour ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Does anyone remember Melmac dishes

Alf dishes?!  :) 

I remember Melmac - my mother got Melmac plates when I was 2 or 3 and wanted to wash dishes.  She wasn't about to stop me, but she did make sure that I had dishes to wash that wouldn't break.  She still had those suckers back in 2015 when I let just about everything go in the estate sale (although looking back - those are something I wish I had taken with me)

On 12/4/2018 at 7:40 PM, Starrynight said:

I can’t imagine! Did you like it? 

st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite

(nope)

On 12/3/2018 at 2:24 AM, bluelady said:

I inherited my grandmother's China when she passed. It's been sitting in a bin in my basement since. Sentiment tells me to keep it. Practicality tells me to get rid of it. 

Mine, from 1917, isn't even china, it's crockery, like what poor farmers would have for everyday dishes (I guess a step up from tinware).  Lots of pieces are chipped, and some of the cups don't have handles. I use a few of the serving pieces, but it's something I would gladly get rid of if only someone would take it. I've been considering calling the local arts college and asking if there are any students doing mosaic work who would like to break it into little pieces to create art.

5 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Yes, all the Corelle I have broken did the shattering thing.   I learned from my Mom back in the 60's to take pieces of fresh bread and gently press the piece over the small pieces to pick them up.  I would use a small plate to press into the bread to keep from getting stabbed by the glass.       

Around 1980 I went to a Black Friday sale at WalMart and got two boxes of 4 place settings of a Corelle pattern that has larger green leaves and a coral colored tulip like flower.   The bowls have a plain green stripe.  

Does anyone remember Melmac dishes?  My Mom was thrilled beyond belief when my father got her a set of what we called "titty pink" Melmac dishes in the early 60's.  That stuff was virtually indestructible, scratched easily and was ugly as sin, but I have a few of the pieces from that original set.  

I grew up with blue Melmac dishes! I think my parents got rid of them when they retired and moved out of state. I remember them as being objectively ugly but still the thought of them gives me warm memories.

I have a set of pre-WW I Noritake china that my grandmother had given to *her* mother and then gotten back when my great-grandmother died. My mother gave it to us as a wedding present. It's very pretty; I pull it out for special occasions and dinner guests. I also have a set of eight plates from a different pattern that had been my other grandmother's. She was the wife of a college president and entertained a lot, so she had a lot of china and crystal to split up among descendants.

Having these family items with stories makes me very happy; I can only hope that at least one of my three children will ultimately feel the same way.

We had Melmac  growing up.  For those of you too young to remember Melmac. it was the  name of a brand of melamine dinnerware AND the name of Alf's home planet.  (if you don't know who Alf was, you might be culturally deprived!)   My mom had just a few pieces of her fine china which I think was by Noritake. Her silver pattern was Lyric by Oneida, IIRC.  I  think I still have the little Lyric she had somewhere.

I fell in love with Fiestaware from my grandmother's Fiestaware pitcher that was on the knick-knack shelf in my grandparents' living room.  Us kids used to hang out in the living room when we got bored with the adult conversation.  It had a big bay window with the spinning wheel, comfortable sofa and chairs, a spinet piano and a coffee table with a silent butler.  We really were't supposed to play with the spinning wheel but we did.  It was pretty irresistible to us.

My mom had some pinkish melamine dishes that we used when we were kids. Not sure what happened to them. 

I chose a china pattern when I was a teenager. I have four place settings and have never used it. It is not my style at all but I still think it’s pretty - I like blue and silver. Ironically it’s called Bride’s Choice by Paragon and I’ve never been a bride. 

0EA8B2B6-BA2F-4E69-A79F-05FB85C9E812.jpeg

14 hours ago, catlady said:

Scroll down past John and Chelsy, and there’s a woman who will never be friends with Erin Paine—she has green hair.  It looks nice on her.

and what appears to be a tattoo on her forearm

FWIW, all three of my kids have been underweight, but they stayed on the same growth curve and after trying to do high calorie recipes, etc... for a long time I finally gave up and just fed them normal, mostly healthy food and stopped stressing over it. They continued to grow on exactly the same curve. They are all still fairly slim, but the older two are starting to fill out a bit. My youngest is still teeny. She is 9 and weighs about 45 pounds and is just a smidge over 4ft tall. My 13 year old boy is  5'6 and exactly 100 pounds, he is very athletic and starting some light weight lifting and that is when he started to bulk up slightly. My 15 year old daughter is 5'6" and is a just a bit below 100lbs. So while they are absolutely on the thin side they look healthy, just slender.  I am far from thin, at least a good 30 pounds overweight and my husband is pretty average build. 

So, while I would absolutely keep an eye out for any underlying medical concerns and keep up with normal doctor checks I wouldn't worry too much about it. Our family doctor once told me to remember that someone has to be at the bottom of the chart just as someone has to be near the top. 

OT, but for those of you who are culturally deprived and have never seen Alf, ME TV is showing an Alf Christmas episode this Sunday at 5 PM.  

I never liked Alf as a child and was even a little scared of him. 

Maybe I missed it, but have we started the polls for Chelsy's and John's baby yet? 

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

I never liked Alf as a child and was even a little scared of him. 

I never liked him either.  I wasn’t a fan of puppets and I’m still not a fan of them. 

My former inlaws gave me some very nice china passed down to them from LDS (Latter Day saints/ Mormon) family members when I got remarried to my current husband.  (Yes, they gave me heirlooms after I married out of their family.  Haha).  There are 12 place settings (!!). I’m not a flower person and this isn’t flowery.  I’d loved a set at Bed Bath and Beyond that had dragonflies on it, but couldn’t justify when I’d gotten this set.  I never actually use it because I still have young kids, but maybe I’ll try at Christmas this year. 

ETA - we use Corelle for everyday plates and when that hits our counters it explodes into a zillion shards. 

On 12/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I liked Alf but was scared of ET. That finger was creepy AF. 

For some funny reason, Alf reminded me of Ronald Reagan

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived