IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 6: They're More Frightened of Her than Ashamed

HerNameIsBuffy

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't think we can be friends. 

I’m picky :( but at least I know I’m picky and I’m good at lying. I try hard not to let people know I don’t like their food. 

ETA: I fully admit I like certain foods at thanksgiving due to nostalgia. If there’s no mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, or pumpkin pie, I’m going to be sad. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m picky :( but at least I know I’m picky and I’m good at lying. I try hard not to let people know I don’t like their food. 

I'd rather you let me know before you come over so I can make something acceptable! 

25 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

sweet potatoes with marshmallows

I just don't "get" the sweet potatoes with more sugar! That being said, if someone requests them, I would make them. 

6 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'd rather you let me know before you come over so I can make something acceptable! 

I just don't "get" the sweet potatoes with more sugar! That being said, if someone requests them, I would make them. 

It’s such a good mix! I love Jeni’s sweet potato ice cream because it has little bits of roasted marshmallows in it. Mmm....

https://shop.jenis.com/collections/thanksgiving-collection/

19 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

I love the family china. I am notoriously sentimental, more so than my generation tends to be. Plus my ex-boyfriend's mom gave me a set that I love. I will probably cart too much stuff around my whole life and I'm ok with that because I can get rid of things when I'm ready or if I find the right home for it. I feel it's not hoarder status for that reason so it's justified!

I have some china that was passed down to me. I treasure it because it was passed down; the pattern is not one that I would choose for myself, but that doesn't matter. I love having bits of history and nostalgia in physical form in my house, and I value sentimental items. I do clear the clutter from time to time, because "stuff" takes up a lot of mental energy!

47 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

How does this work? Do the marshmallows get melted? Or added after cooking the sweet potatoes as a topping?

1 minute ago, Gobsmacked said:

How does this work? Do the marshmallows get melted? Or added after cooking the sweet potatoes as a topping?

If I had to guess, based on the dishes I've seen, the sweet potatoes are boiled or roasted, mashed, put into a dish, topped with mini-marshmallows (which some are vegan, but regular ones aren't), and then broiled. 

You would think marshmallows + chocolate + graham crackers would be too much but it isn’t! It’s delicious too! You all need to try the sweet potato pie/casserole with the marshmallows on top. It’s delicious!

27 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Methinks that sweet potatoes and marshmallows are not a good mix! 

No, it really is tasty. Your sweet potatoes have to be seasoned though with cinnamon and nutmeg.  So it’s not bland and just sweet on top of sweet.

This recipe is like my Grandma’s.... she didn’t believe in calories. ?

https://whatsinthepan.com/sweet-potato-casserole/

On 12/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, Jana814 said:

My mother has 2 sets of china they come out 2 times a year (Rosh Hashanah & Passover). They are kept in the attic the rest of the year. I do not want them in the future.  

My mom has fine china that she received for her wedding over 60 years ago. She has never, not once, used it.

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

It is so good, though! It is pretty much a desert. Warm sweet potato pie with whipped cream is also amazing. 

4 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Not as bad as my MIL's 80 proof sweet potatoes--equal parts of Kentucky bourbon and Southern Comfort poured over them before covering the dish with marshmallows.

49 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Not as bad as my MIL's 80 proof sweet potatoes--equal parts of Kentucky bourbon and Southern Comfort poured over them before covering the dish with marshmallows.

I can’t imagine! Did you like it? 

My husband and I are the sentimental ones in the family, so we became the designated keepers of (three!!!) sets of family china even before we got married. Needless to say, we didn't register for more...

We keep kosher, so we use different plates for meat and dairy meals, and whole other sets for Passover. But STILL! We live in an apartment!

Those sweet potatoes have nearly 800 calories per serving! I verified the ingredients and did the math and came up with a slightly lower number than the recipe.  That's a hard no for me, I'm not tall so my daily limit is around 1500 if I'm not active or cutting, 1800-2000 if I'm training hard, and 1100 if I'm being a slug. 800 is way too much for a dish that I'm apprehensive about (I don't have a very big sweet tooth).  It says it serves 6, so I'm hoping that the portions are just really big, so when @JermajestyDuggar comes over for dinner, I can try some without accidentally eating most of my calories for the day. ?

13 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

yep.  unfortunately this is a compromise in a lot of marriages.

Even now, over five years after breaking up with my ex-boyfriend, my skin still crawls by the thought of spending Christmas with his parents and eating their food. They serve canned shit and store-bought everything and even thinking about it makes me cringe. I'm not a gourmet at all, but I like me some home cooked food. Back when we were still a couple, my parents didn't serve a fancy meal on Christmas Eve: some appetizers, a soup and then (somewhat typical German) potato salad, meatballs and sausage. But still, it was home cooked and fresh and delicious. 
In-Laws really can be a nightmare. I often think I dodged a bullet by not marrying into their conservative, catholic family. 

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I'm torn on this because I hate sweet potatoes but I love bourbon.

We used to spend Christmas Eve with my  first in-laws. Their default Christmas Eve dinner was take-out pizza. I’d sit there with the pizza and think longingly of the elaborate antipasto buffet being served at my parents’ house. (Fortunately, my family always saved me some for when we visited them on Christmas Day.)

11 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Those sweet potatoes have nearly 800 calories per serving! I verified the ingredients and did the math and came up with a slightly lower number than the recipe. 

We make a slightly different version and only make it twice a year: Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It's an essential for one SIL.  We use milk not cream, much less butter, and only enough brown sugar (or turbinado sugar) to turn the potatoes from orange to slightly brown.   Most of us only take a large spoonful each, but SIL gets about quadruple that.  He's skinny though so it's OK.  He's around 6'4" and maybe 160 pounds.  He also runs.  We put a tiny bit of ginger in them and no streusel topping.

ETA:  For that SIL we were the opposite of the in-law horror stories.  He fell in love with my cooking.  His first meal with our family was Thanksgiving dinner and it was all made from scratch.  He kept raving over it and I was OK bachelor enjoying a good meal.  A year or so later I found out his family had never cooked an entire from scratch Thanksgiving meal and a good one for them was picking up a pre-done one from the market.

37 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Most of us only take a large spoonful each, but SIL gets about quadruple that.  He's skinny though so it's OK.  He's around 6'4" and maybe 160 pounds.  He also runs.  We put a tiny bit of ginger in them and no streusel topping.

After thinking about it some more, I came to the conclusion that splitting the "2 quart" dish into 6 portions seems like way too much for one person, especially when there is usually some combination of of the following (thinking of the big family dinners we did when I was growing up, with extended family): turkey, gravy, regular mashed potatoes, cold mashed potatoes that my aunt always makes and my mom complaines about, mac & cheese, shrimp cocktail, goose, roast carrots, Brussels sprouts, salad, weird midwest "salad(s)", pumpkin pie, apple pie, prune roll, roasted goose, a second turkey,  asparagus, salmon dip, that horrid pistachio salad, a selection of cookies and chocolate covered cherries, rolls, molasses cookies, aebleskivers, and that horrid green bean casserole.  Oh, and i think corn casserole and regular corn has also been added. And sweet potatoes/yams. And the relish tray. If there is one thing my family enjoys doing, it's forcing everyone to bring food to an event that already has too much food and too many people in too small of a space. And then making them play the worlds worst card game afterwards. Oh and I forgot the 'apple salad' which is some sort of chopped apple/grape monstrosity that involves miracle whip or mayo. Gag. 

Brought my SO over, he's like "your family is so nice. there is no arguing or politics or anything, really. You just go and eat and play cards and laugh and go home" It's not bad. Sometimes I really want there to be some sort of explosion instead of just polite people being polite and asking polite questions. 

I kind of miss my extended family. 

Chelsy and John did have a maternity photo shoot in Iowa. So that Terri Maxwell comment is even funnier now. (I don't think it's been mentioned, although forgive me if it has! It looks like it was done around Thanksgiving.)

(Not sure how this works, Chelsy's instagram is private but the photographer's is public so not sure how to link or if I should link.)

52 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Chelsy and John did have a maternity photo shoot in Iowa. So that Terri Maxwell comment is even funnier now. (I don't think it's been mentioned, although forgive me if it has! It looks like it was done around Thanksgiving.)

(Not sure how this works, Chelsy's instagram is private but the photographer's is public so not sure how to link or if I should link.)

Is it the same photographer she used for her wedding?

No good china for me, I manage to break Corelle.  My Mother-in-law's good china and glasses are the ones that came out of Breeze  powdered laundry detergent in the 50's and 60's.  I'm the divorced hussy who lured her beloved oldest son away from her, we've been married 42 years now.  A few years ago, I broke one of the glasses doing dishes after Thanksgiving dinner, and all I heard about for the rest of the weekend was how she no longer had a complete set, and you could not get them anywhere.  Thankfully, my son is an EBay guru and found 3 of them for sale and bought all 3 of them.   Now she's got a complete set plus two spares and I will never touch those glasses or dishes again.  

I have a very underweight child. I would make him this recipe IF he would eat it. But how to stop myself eating it??? 

No. Probably couldn’t. I’ll have to pass. 

But anyone have any super high calorie recipes please PM me them! He’s 13kg at 4 and while not tall he’s average height. I’m skinny too but not 1% skinny! 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived