IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 6: They're More Frightened of Her than Ashamed

HerNameIsBuffy

I'm a baby boomer, married 27 years, and I wonder if I was to get married today if I would bother to register for good china, as I did way back then.

We only use it three times a year, Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving.

Otoh, it does make those days and meals extra special.  So, I'm not sure.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I use my grandmother's china as our everyday dishes.  Life is too short not to use beautiful things.

I have 100+ year-old Flow Blue dinner plates, dessert plates and cups & saucers from a great-grandmother; those are the special occasion dishes.  

Same here. Mine is my grandmother’s china from her first marriage in 1941, which ended in 1943. When she married my grandfather, she ended up with a new set of china, so they hadn’t been used at all in 50 years. They’re beautiful and I think she’d appreciate that they’re finally getting used after all this time. 

I’m 33 and my husband and I have a posh china set. It was on our wedding registry and while we only use it a few times a year, I’m glad we have it. It’s nice to use special china on special occasions.

35 - I don't have any china, though my husband is into wine and liquor glasses and has collected quite a few over the years (He hasn't moved around a lot like I have though, and he's the youngest in his family)

Most of my plates, cups, bowls and cutlery are things I've been given to by people who are moving or buying newer sets, stuff I've found, and I got some plates I won spinning a wheel at a summer fair. I've only actually bought tableware a few times, and it was always single things from Ikea or the Dollar Store.

The closest thing we have to a dining room table is a coffee table next to the two sofas in our living room. Most of the time, and for long chunks of my life previously, the only place I had to eat was at my desk or sitting at the foot of my bed, so it's an upgrade - but without a "fancy" table even if I had china, I would never use it.

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I keep a vinyl table cloth on my table. Don’t laugh at me! It protects my table from my children and it wipes off easily. The only other person I ever knew who had vinyl table cloths was my great grandmother. I’m an old lady on the inside. 

I use vinyl tablecloths!  I have always used a tablecloth since I moved out on my own, I got really tired of having to wash the tabletop down when I still lived at home.

I do have fancy china, bone china actually.  But it was passed down to me from my mom and a special aunt, we do use it sometimes but not that often.  This Thanksgiving was just me and Mr. Briefly, we used our regular plates because they are dishwasher safe and the china isn't.

I prefer not to use paper plates, napkins, etc., except on very rare occasions such as when everybody is here and we bbq.  I do have a stack of those items and they are in our emergency/storm supplies.  We've had a few instances of storm caused power outages that last a couple of days and it's a lot easier to use them then so that we don't have dishes stacked up and waiting for the power to come back on.

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Same here. Mine is my grandmother’s china from her first marriage in 1941, which ended in 1943. When she married my grandfather, she ended up with a new set of china, so they hadn’t been used at all in 50 years. They’re beautiful and I think she’d appreciate that they’re finally getting used after all this time. 

Quoting myself because it’s more like 75 years. Apparently I still think it’s the ‘90s. :my_confused:

I’m 42 and have zero good china. My mom got married in 1969 and gave hers away to goodwill a few years ago when she inherited my grandmother’s.

I thought it was weird that she didn’t think to ask me or my sister if we were interested in it, but since I had spent absolutely no time ever thinking about acquiring china up to that point I just kept on living my life. Plus smashing all of our pricey wine glasses takes most of my free time, anyway.

I inherited my grandmother's China when she passed. It's been sitting in a bin in my basement since. Sentiment tells me to keep it. Practicality tells me to get rid of it. 

1 hour ago, bluelady said:

I inherited my grandmother's China when she passed. It's been sitting in a bin in my basement since. Sentiment tells me to keep it. Practicality tells me to get rid of it. 

I inherited my mom’s china. I don’t want it... but I feel badly selling it or donating it. I also inherited my grandma's Silver cutlery. I don’t feel badly at all selling that. I will never polish it. I save it and sometimes I watch the silver market... but it’s kind-of like a little emergency fund some day...

I am 24 and my parents acquired a fine china set from a charity auction when I was a kid and gave it to me. Will I ever use it? Who knows.

11 hours ago, bluelady said:

I have my great-grandmother's china, through my grandmother. It sits in a bin in my closet. It is not complete and can serve six, full service with a few partial settings. That's actually why we pulled it out for Thanksgiving this year. There were only 7 of us, so it could be used.

I have carried it around through singleness, marriage and divorce. I think I've used it maybe 20 times in 30 years.  I often resent that I have it, but there is no way I could ever get rid of it. Fortunately, at Thanksgiving this year, my youngest niece expressed real, sincere interest in it - so, off to her it will go as soon as they buy a house, which they're working on. 

My mother has 2 sets of china they come out 2 times a year (Rosh Hashanah & Passover). They are kept in the attic the rest of the year. I do not want them in the future.  

I don’t think it’s china, but we have a “fancy” set of dinnerware we only use at Christmas. It’s also the only time we use a tablecloth, and eat in the dining room as opposed to the kitchen. 

@fundiefan,  be sure to tell your niece that not having a complete enough set of the family china is no reason not to use what she has.  Nowadays, it's considered chic to mix and match china pieces.  This goes for silverware/flatware.as well.  

I love the family china. I am notoriously sentimental, more so than my generation tends to be. Plus my ex-boyfriend's mom gave me a set that I love. I will probably cart too much stuff around my whole life and I'm ok with that because I can get rid of things when I'm ready or if I find the right home for it. I feel it's not hoarder status for that reason so it's justified!

It looks like John and Chelsy had two full TG meals while with her family. I can't imagine her standing for a Maxwell holiday meal unless she was hosting it herself.

She may well be there for some Maxwell holiday meals out of politeness, but secretly think it’s crap and then do her own thing. She’ll probably be there at some point over Christmas, she may not want to travel too much if she’s 8 months pregnant. Plus John may well want to spend some holidays with the Maxwells. 

23 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

She may well be there for some Maxwell holiday meals out of politeness, but secretly think it’s crap and then do her own thing. She’ll probably be there at some point over Christmas, she may not want to travel too much if she’s 8 months pregnant. Plus John may well want to spend some holidays with the Maxwells. 

yep.  unfortunately this is a compromise in a lot of marriages.

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

yep.  unfortunately this is a compromise in a lot of marriages.

Yes!!!! 

The first thanksgiving I spent with my ILs was a huge disappointment. There was almost no traditional Midwest American thanksgiving food. Even the stuffing had weird shit in it. That was the only time in my life I left the thanksgiving table still hungry. But hey, that’s life with in laws! I still love my husband despite his parents having weird thanksgiving food choices.

Here is my Good China. I had all of my friends saving their Albertsons receipts and I saved mine so I could acquire as many sets as possible about 10 years ago.

8b90_35.jpg

On 3 December 2018 at 6:59 AM, erunerune said:

I’m 42 and have zero good china. My mom got married in 1969 and gave hers away to goodwill a few years ago when she inherited my grandmother’s.

I thought it was weird that she didn’t think to ask me or my sister if we were interested in it, but since I had spent absolutely no time ever thinking about acquiring china up to that point I just kept on living my life. Plus smashing all of our pricey wine glasses takes most of my free time, anyway.

You are me!! We get our wine glasses from Asda now!!!!!!

My plates are plain white Corell plates. ? But they are so me. Because I’m incredibly practical and cheap. I’m almost too practical at times. It can annoy my husband. 

57 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes!!!! 

The first thanksgiving I spent with my ILs was a huge disappointment. There was almost no traditional Midwest American thanksgiving food. Even the stuffing had weird shit in it. That was the only time in my life I left the thanksgiving table still hungry. But hey, that’s life with in laws! I still love my husband despite his parents having weird thanksgiving food choices.

Now I'm curious. What kind of food did they serve?

25 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Now I'm curious. What kind of food did they serve?

Parsnips for one. I fucking hate parsnips. They also put prosciutto in the stuffing and I absolutely hate all pig meat. There were a few other things that aren’t typical Midwest thanksgiving staples. But I can’t remember now. 

ETA: I just remembered there was Brie! I’m not a fan of Brie although I normally like cheese. I think it’s the texture that bothers me. 

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Parsnips for one. I fucking hate parsnips. 

ETA: I just remembered there was Brie! I’m not a fan of Brie although I normally like cheese. I think it’s the texture that bothers me. 

I don't think we can be friends. ? 

RE: "good" china. I'm in that weird area between gen x and millennial (been using computers all my life, but also remember Nirvana, Reality Bites, and the 90's cynicism. 

I have no china. However, if I had china in my collection, I wouldn't anymore. As the local meme goes, "Everyone in Alaska wants dishes for Christmas."  That being said, if you have dishes you like, you should just use them! Don't save them. You never know when a truck will crash into your kitchen, or an earthquake will shake everything out of your cupboards!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived