IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 35: Five Months with no Pregnant Duggars. How much longer will it last?

HerNameIsBuffy

I don't have anyone specific in mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone is already pregnant. That 4 months figure is really just 4 months without any known pregnancies.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m enjoying it, it’s been relaxing. I’ve been spending some time off FJ and when I’m here I spend more time in other threads. It’s been good for me lol. I’ll be sad when this Rufus blessed time is over for many reasons. I’m rooting for no announcements until at least after the new year ?

I hope Joy and Austin are responsible enough to let her body recover completely before adding another blessing. Both don’t really strike me as wanting a huge number of children though. 

Why do I feel as if we get a big announcement on Christmas with a nice group shot of at least three Duggars? If there hasn’t been an announcement till the New Year though I will definitely drink on extra glass of champagne (or whatever we will toast with).

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I hope Joy and Austin are responsible enough to let her body recover completely before adding another blessing. Both don’t really strike me as wanting a huge number of children though. 

I agree, neither of them seem like they really want a lot of kids, but Joy has especially drank the kool-aid, so I’m not sure what their future looks like. 

If she had had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery, I’m guessing she would be pregnant already and would have been able to churn out at least a dozen children. The c-section complicates matters, and I wonder if there’s a part of them that is relieved. Her next birth will really decide how large their quiver will be. 

For all of Austin’s flaws, he does seem to care about Joy though, and so I don’t think he would (knowingly) endanger her. 

1 hour ago, viii said:

For all of Austin’s flaws, he does seem to care about Joy though, and so I don’t think he would (knowingly) endanger her. 

And he does have EMT training, so maybe that might cause him to think twice about her safety.

This seems like as good a place to post this, but  Law & Order: SVU season 17 episode "Patrimonial Burden' about a young girl from a huge reality show family who is impregnated by her brother airs this evening at 6 PM (Eastern) on ION.  The wikipedia entry says that it's inspired by the Josh scandal.  I've never seen it before so yep, I'm going to watch it.

i'll have a cow (or at least an extra shot lol) if we don't get a duggar pregnancy announcement by January 1st. Idk who it'll be, but there'll be one; last year we got JoKen in mid-December and JinJer in early-January. I think it'll be Lauren, Jessa, or Kendra (then possibly Anna or Joy) (and definitely not Jinger, Jill, or Abbie yet).

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

This seems like as good a place to post this, but  Law & Order: SVU season 17 episode "Patrimonial Burden' about a young girl from a huge reality show family who is impregnated by her brother airs this evening at 6 PM (Eastern) on ION.  The wikipedia entry says that it's inspired by the Josh scandal.  I've never seen it before so yep, I'm going to watch it.

I've seen that one a couple of times

Beast on the Thanksgiving photos Lauren is far from showing so I don't expect an announcement from her. I do think we will get to 2019

I was watching the Thanksgiving photo from Siren and more I look it andmore it seems an old photo like from the summer or so. Maybe is just me and a conspiracy theory from tiredness and too much food ?

8 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

I was watching the Thanksgiving photo from Siren and more I look it andmore it seems an old photo like from the summer or so. Maybe is just me and a conspiracy theory from tiredness and too much food ?

If you look at the trees in the background and the leaves on the ground, it’s definitely late Fall. The photo was probably taken around the time it was posted. If she’s still not pregnant, I’m thrilled for them both!

Which pregnancies wee announced before a new season of the show started? I'm sure there was at least one, but I don't remember.

I think Jessa is the next to announce.  I do think that Kendra , Joy, Jill, Lauren and Anna will all have kids next year though.  Jinger and Abbie may by the end of the year as well. It's going to a banner year for babies. 

33 minutes ago, KeshetParparNesicha said:

Joy said on Instagram that she is not pregnant.

Praise Rufus.

Joy is the only one we can rule out as definitely not pregnant at this time.

Anna said in mid September that she's not pregnant. It's possbile that this has changed, but I can't see her announcing until at least January at the soonest.

Jessa said she wasn't pregnant in August, but alluded to baby fever. It's been a few months, so she's a possibility for the next announcement.

If Lauren is pregnant, she's not showing yet. I remember seeing pictures from Jinger's pregnancy announcement shoot (the one with the lollipops before they actually announced). I didn't think she looked pregnant, but she was. I'm not going to rule out an announcement from Lauren just yet.

As for everybody else, who knows? It would be very early for Jinger, as she only gave birth 4 months ago. Kendra's not visible enough on social media to be on the pregnancy speculation radar, but she's young and had a complication free birth five months ago, so she's a possibility. Abbie's newly married, so the soonest I could see her announcing is in 2 months (I'm guessing February around Valentine's day). Jill seems like a bit of a wildcard.

21 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Joy is the only one we can rule out as definitely not pregnant at this time.

I mean, she could be lying or mistaken, so if we're really desperate to speculate on pregnancies even she is a possibility. :pb_lol:

(But really, I'll take her word for it.)

10 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I think it was the creepy family pastor who impregnated the daughter, not the brother. I remember watching this episode, but it was a long time ago.

13 hours ago, JMO said:

I think Jessa is the next to announce.  I do think that Kendra , Joy, Jill, Lauren and Anna will all have kids next year though.  Jinger and Abbie may by the end of the year as well. It's going to a banner year for babies. 

I disagree. I've read a lot of books about large families. When the kids grow up, they mostly want smaller families. 

I think something was driving Michelle and Jim Bob to have 19 kids. It's a huge sacrifice of time and money. I doubt all 19 kids are driven by the same thing. Even if they are, they may not have the ability to have a lot.

I think most of the Duggars will have 2-3 children right off and then stop.

12 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I disagree. I've read a lot of books about large families. When the kids grow up, they mostly want smaller families. 

I think something was driving Michelle and Jim Bob to have 19 kids. It's a huge sacrifice of time and money. I doubt all 19 kids are driven by the same thing. Even if they are, they may not have the ability to have a lot.

I'm wondering what it is that has you convinced that most of the second gen will abandon fundamentalism, because you seem to really be pushing this idea here and on the Bates forum. I don't mean to call you out - I'm genuinely curious. Have you always held this opinion, or was there something more recently that made you think they're all going to abandon the religion and lifestyle they were raised in?

For the record, I definitely think some of them are going to abandon fundamentalism outright. But most of them? I'm not so sure. We've seen plenty of examples of families where the majority of the second gen kids stay fundie and quiverfull. Several of the Duggars have said that they want a lot of kids, or as many as God provides. I think reality will put a damper on that, but I'm not sure I see most of them purposely stopping after 2-3. That would involve a pretty seismic shift in their religious beliefs and worldview.

You're totally right in saying that most people from big families want smaller families themselves, but most people aren't fundamentalists, let alone fundamentalists with a reality TV show who have made a lot of money and gained a lot of fame solely based on reproducing as much as possible. Not to mention they're still involved in a fairly insular society in which militant fecundity is prized. Everyone around them has huge families and the women keep having babies as long as they possibly can. That's their normal.

31 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I mostly agree, but I think since their family is SO mega sized - 4-6 kids might be more their “small family” stopping point, especially the ones whose spouses have 7 or 8 siblings, and if they are young enough to have them spaced out.  

Interestingly, only one of the men who has married in, Ben, comes from a large family.  He is also the only one I could see really enjoying lots of kids - but I think as a couple they’ll end up deciding to limit the number. 

The women who’ve married in all come from large families (by any rational modern day standard) , and Kendra and Lauren’s mother’s are still having babies - so that will be interesting to see how it impacts their choices. Kendra is the one I’m pegging as getting to double digits.  Joe seems laid back and not easily riled, so he could probably hang with the big family noise. Kendra and Joe remind me a lot of JB and Michelle, relationship wise.

But I also think 19-20-21 will be the biggest baby years because of what you said - most of them will likely have a couple/few kids right away and stop or slow down. Right now they are peak new marriage / 1st /2nd baby land. 

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm wondering what it is that has you convinced that most of the second gen will abandon fundamentalism, because you seem to really be pushing this idea here and on the Bates forum. I don't mean to call you out - I'm genuinely curious. Have you always held this opinion, or was there something more recently that made you think they're all going to abandon the religion and lifestyle they were raised in?

For the record, I definitely think some of them are going to abandon fundamentalism outright. But most of them? I'm not so sure. We've seen plenty of examples of families where the majority of the second gen kids stay fundie and quiverfull. Several of the Duggars have said that they want a lot of kids, or as many as God provides. I think reality will put a damper on that, but I'm not sure I see most of them purposely stopping after 2-3. That would involve a pretty seismic shift in their religious beliefs and worldview.

You're totally right in saying that most people from big families want smaller families themselves, but most people aren't fundamentalists, let alone fundamentalists with a reality TV show who have made a lot of money and gained a lot of fame solely based on reproducing as much as possible. Not to mention they're still involved in a fairly insular society in which militant fecundity is prized. Everyone around them has huge families and the women keep having babies as long as they possibly can. That's their normal.

I think you misunderstand me. I don't think Josie Bates will abandon fundamentalism. Most likely, she will remain fundie. I just think it's wrong to decide that ahead of time. Let her show us what she believes.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I'm just not surprised that there are no pregnancies. Next November, feel free to tell me I was wrong. I just think that pregnancies will come more slowly than the older generation.

I certainly am not "convinced" that "most" of the younger generation will abandon fundamentalism. That's ludicrous. 

3 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I think you misunderstand me. I don't think Josie Bates will abandon fundamentalism. Most likely, she will remain fundie. I just think it's wrong to decide that ahead of time. Let her show us what she believes.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I'm just not surprised that there are no pregnancies. Next November, feel free to tell me I was wrong. I just think that pregnancies will come more slowly than the older generation.

I certainly am not "convinced" that "most" of the younger generation will abandon fundamentalism. That's ludicrous. 

Oh, okay, thank you for clarifying. You said you thought that most of them would stop at 2-3 kids, and you've been quite vocal about not assuming that people who were fundamentalists before they married remain fundamentalists after they've married, so I thought you were talking about them abandoning fundamentalism. While it's certainly possible to be a fundamentalist and use birth control to limit your family size to 2-3 kids, they all come from a quiverfull background, so it would be a pretty huge leap for them.

Right now I have no reason to believe that they're not all still quiverfull. Even Jinger and Jeremy - it's not outside the realm of possibility that it simply took them ~10 months to conceive. I think if any of them are/will be purposely spacing their children it's far more likely that they'll use NFP (or even maybe a barrier method) to keep the number down to around 6-10. I guess we'll find out (well, sort of - they don't seem interested in sharing their childbearing philosophies much nowadays, so there may be no way to know whether a couple who wound up with 'only' six kids did that on purpose or just wasn't able to conceive more).

44 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I have a feeling that with the Duggars and Bateses, we'll have a much lower ratio of "stayed fundie" to "broke away" than in your average fundie family, simply because as the two families are now quite comfortable/wealthy, there's more financial incentive to stay fundie. There's more to lose; why leave a fairly comfortable gilded cage when the alternative is a traumatic uphill battle where your subpar education and lack of socialization will hold you back from the lifestyle to which you're now accustomed? When the alternative is even more media attention than you're used to because you're The Rebel, The One Who Left, The One Who's Going to Tell All? The Kellers, Shraders, and Jeubs (the families I know of who have kids who left/disavowed their views) are not nearly as wealthy or high-profile as the Duggars or Bateses. I think the Rods and the Andersons are more likely to have a higher ratio of kids who stay in to kids who get out, simply because their Quiverfull lives aren't so cushy. There's less for them to lose. There's less of a bubble to stay comfortably in indefinitely. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived