IGNORED

Jon is trying to get full custody of Collin

DarkAnts

8 minutes ago, Curious said:

What would she write about though?  Didn't she already write a book or was that just a cookbook?  No one is going to want to read how she beat the kids in private or whatever she did to them.  They were on tv from toddler to adult, what more do we need to know about them?

That being said, I'd probably buy a book she wrote just to give it a scathing review

I totally agree. It will be a useless book. Probably like one of Zoo’s crappy books. But I bet she will try it before she goes back to working a regular job. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I’d read a tell all written by the kids. Anything Kate would write would have her self-serving spin on it.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

People would buy it.  She's a 'celebrity'.  Those are almost always best sellers, I've noticed - and I follow book sales.  They can afford high priced editors and they have The Name.  Plus people love gossip.   She'd do fine with it.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Kate's previous attempts at book writing have not been good, the first one she got her friend Beth to write for her and they had agreed to split the profit and then Kate adds Jon's name to it last minute so the profit was split 3 ways making Beth get a much smaller chunk, people did buy it but at first but a few months later the reports of their marriage demise surfaced and once it was emerged that what Kate had wrote about her marriage was untrue sales dropped.

Her 'cookbook' turned out to be stuff that people could easily get online and not any original recipes. It was a massive flop. 

I will buy any tell all that one of the children writes.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I will buy any tell all that one of the children writes.

I can’t wait for this to happen! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Someone up above said that the Gosselins weren't Fundie.  Well, yes and no.  At the beginning they did a pretty good job of faking Fundie.

In the first couple of years, including the original documentary and then the beginning of the show, Jon and Kate Plus 8 a whole big deal was made about their supposed Christian faith.  Kate, the pastor's daughter, with Jon in tow was making a lot of money from speaking at churches and grabbing love offerings with both hands.  A few churches accused her (correctly) of preaching Prosperity Gospel.

Once they became famous, There was something of a scandal when one church went public with the story that Kate had cancelled at the last minute.  And then her agent tried to reschedule the talk with a massive speakers fee and all sorts of diva demands.

There was a lot of money flying in her (their) direction,  It wasn't just the show.  It was endorsements, Gosselin toys and games, children's clothing lines, and so on.

With the divorce (remember Kate was the one who filed for divorce) and subsequent train wreck their so-called Christianity went right out the window.  So did a lot of the endorsements.  IIRC, the children's clothing line never reached the shelves in the US but was sold overseas for pennies on the dollar.  

@Curious,  you asked.  Kate Gosselin's books:

Multiple Bles8ings.  Beth Larson, Jon Gosselin and Kate Gosselin 

The book Beth wrote based on listening to Kate ramble on about her life.  Well written, according to reviewers but hagiographic.  Very "Christian" in outlook.  Putting Jon's name on it at the last minute split the takings 3 ways.  That pissed good and faithful friend Beth off a trifle. Understandably.  Kate accused Beth of dire things thus ending the friendship cold turkey.  Beth was left with tire marks from Kate's bus running her over and backing up to run over her some more.  Beth was labeled one of many who "didn't know how to help" Kate and as somebody who wanted to hone in on Kate's money.  Like her brother and his wife, Aunt Jody.

Kate Gosselin's Love Is in the Mix: Making Meals into Memories with Family-Friendly Recipes, Tips and Traditions.  Kate Gosselin

A book of photos of the kids and some pretty bad and bland recipes.  Some of the ingredient lists are messed up and the directions stink according to reviewers.  Well thought of by rabid fans.  

I Just Want You to Know: Letters to My Kids on Love, Faith, and Family.  Kate Gosselin 

A scrapbook of photos and cliched painfully fake "letters" to the children.  Even the rabid fans couldn't save this one.  

These were all published by Zondervan.  For those that are not familiar with it, that's a very Fungelical Christian publishing house.  There was another book supposedly in the works, but Zondervan finally woke up and smelled the coffee.   They cancelled the book and presumably dropped Kate's contract.

It was well after the divorce was public, IIRC.  But Kate had obviously given up all pretense that she was trying to live a Christian lifestyle or going to church.  I wondered what took Zondervan so long.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

I could never stand watching this show, but from reading what y'all have wrote... Are Cara and Mady super bratty and entitled? They don't seem like good or kind and caring people. I get that they've grown-up hellishly, but does anyone know what their personalities are actually like?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I could never stand watching this show, but from reading what y'all have wrote... Are Cara and Mady super bratty and entitled? They don't seem like good or kind and caring people. I get that they've grown-up hellishly, but does anyone know what their personalities are actually like?

Judging by the show (which isn’t really fair), they’re bratty and entitled, but not nearly as bad as they could be, considering that they’re teenagers and Kate’s daughters. It’s entirely possible that the world will shape them into tolerable people.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I remember Mady as being rather mean and Cara as friendly and kind.  In one episode Cara went on a ski trip with her Dad, she was a natural at skiing and she and Dad had a great good time.  I hope she gets her relationship with Jon back.  I think he really loves those kids.   I never did like Kate but did admire her work ethic.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Time will tell with Cara and Mady. Cara talked very little in the K8+D8 show so she seemed less bratty than Mady.

Mady initially gave me major Kate 2.0 vibes, but that might just be the aforementioned entitlement. But, on the other hand, Mady doesn’t seem blind to her mother’s faults and even calls her on them.

I’m glad Jon at least has two of the kids now, and hope the others will allow a relationship. He’s not a saint (no matter how much he seems like one for putting up with Kate all this time) but he seems like a good guy. He deserves to at least have some contact/form of relationship with ALL his kids.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

I have seen exactly one episode (the one just after it broke that they had separated and were going to divorce) - spent 7 hours in the Tom Bradley International Terminal in LAX waiting for thunderstorms to clear over Missouri so our flight could take off and land when we got there. I read a lot of magazines, and People was going nuts over the whole thing (Jon was jetskiing with another woman!). I was "who on earth are these people?!" When I (finally...) got to my friend's place I had the magazine with me and she filled me in. I had no idea things were so bad, or that there had been a decade long suppression order!! I really hope all the kids manage to reconnect with their father and get some distance from their mother and the show. The TLC contract sounds very exploitative.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

The show is certainly not a fair image of reality (because it is all fake), but on the latest special (Mady and Cara going to college), both of them were less annoying than I expected them to be. Mady was always more outspoken than her twin even when younger and the dynamic is still the same now. But Mady seems less ''mad'' at everyone and everything than when she was 14-15 YO. I guess it is probably because she is a bit older.

Don't get me wrong, they don't seem like the nicest teens, but like @QuiverFullofBooks said, they are actually pretty lucid about their mother's fault and seemed to be eager to leave that place. Hoping for them to become well-rounded adults and live a normal and anonymous life if that is what they wish.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Mady was always cast as the "bad kid," on the show IMO.  She was probably the most like Kate and would have meltdowns.  Kate always said it was low blood sugar :pb_rollseyes:  IMO, Kate did a lot of things to purposely set the kids, especially Mady, off.

As a very casual viewer, I knew things that would trigger a meltdown in Mady so I'm certain Kate knew as well.  You can only poke a kid so much before they meltdown, low blood sugar or not.

Cara seemed more laid back than Mady.  She was said to be more like Jon.  Kate could manage to get her to meltdown as well.

Kate spent a lot of time pitting the kids against each other or setting them up for failure so I wouldn't be shocked to discover they aren't super nice people.   They are all still young and hopefully being away from Kate will allow them room to grow and come into their own.   Peer pressure without the buffer of mom will probably be good for them.  

I doubt most of the other kids at college will really care that they were on a reality tv show and won't treat them like celebrities which will definitely be good for them (and probably a wake-up call)

• Upvote 16
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Curious said:

Mady was always cast as the "bad kid," on the show IMO.  She was probably the most like Kate and would have meltdowns.  Kate always said it was low blood sugar :pb_rollseyes:  IMO, Kate did a lot of things to purposely set the kids, especially Mady, off.

As a very casual viewer, I knew things that would trigger a meltdown in Mady so I'm certain Kate knew as well.  You can only poke a kid so much before they meltdown, low blood sugar or not.

Cara seemed more laid back than Mady.  She was said to be more like Jon.  Kate could manage to get her to meltdown as well.

Kate spent a lot of time pitting the kids against each other or setting them up for failure so I wouldn't be shocked to discover they aren't super nice people.   They are all still young and hopefully being away from Kate will allow them room to grow and come into their own.   Peer pressure without the buffer of mom will probably be good for them.  

I doubt most of the other kids at college will really care that they were on a reality tv show and won't treat them like celebrities which will definitely be good for them (and probably a wake-up call)

Holy crap. That sounds like a mix of the Stanford Prison experiment and lord of the flies combined. Yiiiiikes.

I'm guessing you're right that college will be good for them, and that no one will really care that they were on a reality show, especially not a trainwreck one that was clearly full of child exploitation.

If she is super like Kate/has been super effed up by Kate, I hope she realizes it and is able to get the therapy she needs. It seems like it could easily turn into a cycle-of-abuse with her own kids if she doesn't. Unlike the fundie kids, these kids really do have an out and I hope they take advantage of it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Just dropping this here.  It seems Jon has the documentation to support his claims that TLC and Kate filmed the underage children in direct violation of a judges order and without the work permits required.  TLC would apparently rather pay fines than comply with the law.  As for Kate, words fail me.  I wonder what the judge will say.

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jon-gosselin-is-furious-about-kate-plus-8-special-filmed-illegally/

I think Mady and Cara will do well at college and it will do them the world of good to get away from Kate.  I wish them the best.

As for their personalities, these days who knows.  Cara seems very reluctant to talk on film.  Mady is an extroverted chatterbox who supposedly calls out her mother these days.  I am reminded of this exercise in parental alienation a few years ago.  Kate tries to make them say their Dad is toxic on TV.  They are not happy.

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Just dropping this here.  It seems Jon has the documentation to support his claims that TLC and Kate filmed the underage children in direct violation of a judges order and without the work permits required.  TLC would apparently rather pay fines than comply with the law.  As for Kate, words fail me.  I wonder what the judge will say.

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jon-gosselin-is-furious-about-kate-plus-8-special-filmed-illegally/

I think Mady and Cara will do well at college and it will do them the world of good to get away from Kate.  I wish them the best.

As for their personalities, these days who knows.  Cara seems very reluctant to talk on film.  Mady is an extroverted chatterbox who supposedly calls out her mother these days.  I am reminded of this exercise in parental alienation a few years ago.  Kate tries to make them say their Dad is toxic on TV.  They are not happy.

Ugh. That was hard to watch.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

On 10/11/2019 at 8:06 PM, Palimpsest said:

That video was what turned me from thinking Kate was flawed but still tried to be a good mother into seeing how abusive she really is. The twins didn't want to be on that show and certainly didn't want to badmouthing their father. I have suspected since then that Kate says horrible things about Jon all the time to the kid's and that is why most don't have a relationship with him. Jon has been honest and has said he did make a lot of mistakes after the marriage broke up and with that TLC screwing him over financially for rightly wanting out of the show he was left having to work low paid jobs trying to build his way back up, Kate seemed to delight in poking fun of him for waiting tables or living in a small apartment. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8

On 10/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, Palimpsest said:

I am reminded of this exercise in parental alienation a few years ago.  Kate tries to make them say their Dad is toxic on TV.  They are not happy.

I remember when that interview came out. I was already convinced Kate was a narcissist, so no surprise there, but seeing her fake smile and evident frustration with the girls was a vivid reminder.  It's almost too uncomfortable for me to watch - but I like that they don't cooperate. 

"In the meantime, she said, “It’s me with eight children, which is not fair.”"

This quote that @Curious posted makes steam come out of my ears. The entitlement blows my mind.

Edited by scoutsadie
Addition
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

On 10/14/2019 at 12:23 AM, scoutsadie said:

In the meantime, she said, “It’s me with eight children, which is not fair.”"

This quote that @Curious posted makes steam come out of my ears. The entitlement blows my mind.

Kate had at one point family, friend's and people from their church that did a lot for those children and one by one she cut them off, she eventually did the same with Jon. Kate chose that Beth and Jodi used to take multiple kids at a time for days both had 4 children themselves and she cut them out like they were nothing. 

I feel this must have affected the twins the most they were older and were close to their cousin's and Beth's children to then have no relationship with them, same with people from church, they went to the Sunday school at church for year's too. I hope they are eventually able to see Jodi, Kevin and their cousins at least. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Kate had at one point family, friend's and people from their church that did a lot for those children and one by one she cut them off, she eventually did the same with Jon. Kate chose that Beth and Jodi used to take multiple kids at a time for days both had 4 children themselves and she cut them out like they were nothing. 

I feel this must have affected the twins the most they were older and were close to their cousin's and Beth's children to then have no relationship with them, same with people from church, they went to the Sunday school at church for year's too. I hope they are eventually able to see Jodi, Kevin and their cousins at least. 

These are some of the reasons (there are so many more!) the kids are likely to move out and rarely communicate with her again. Her years of abuse & family alienation are going to come back and bite her at some point. She’s well on the road to going from four at home to “not a single one of them has the decency to even call me on mother’s day!!”

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 8

I find it interesting that the two kids Kate use to praise the most - my little Hawaiian Girl (Hannah) and my helper boy (Collin) are the kids who are with Jon.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, clueliss said:

I find it interesting that the two kids Kate use to praise the most - my little Hawaiian Girl (Hannah) and my helper boy (Collin) are the kids who are with Jon.  

Kate did say that Collin was her helper boy on show but because he was also a stubborn child Kate wrote in her journal that was leaked that she disliked him to the point at times she went too far when disciplining them, he was two at the time she wrote that. They probably went from being the helper children to being expected to do it all, since we all know Kate likes to order people to do stuff. Nothing against chores but expecting your children to do everything. She seemed to love to delegate everything to everyone else from that plastic patio chair on the show, while saying she did everything. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Did anyone catch Jon on Dr. Oz? I'm not sure if this is the full interview, but I'm about to watch the below:

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

According to that interview, they were making TLC well over 100 MILLION dollars a QUARTER!!! Sorry to start typing like Jrod, but damn! And they were filming 363 days a tear (at one point)! Wow. “Reality” tv should not be allowed to film children, ever.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2