IGNORED

Jon is trying to get full custody of Collin

DarkAnts

You know I really hate the double standard where women think it’s cute to be “sassy” and totally emasculate their husbands or make stupid man jokes. I don’t find it cute or clever at all. Now that I think about it I see it mostly in Christian couples. Super passive aggressive.

Sounds like Jon has grown up a lot and gotten his shit together. I wish him well.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

I'm glad Jon is finally able to speak about Kate, what he is saying is what everyone suspected. I was 19/20 when I started watching the show and liked Kate at first but gradually as time went on I noticed how she had to have her way and would ruin activities with the kid's if she thought things were not perfect. Kate has alienated the children still with her from all the family and friends that they were around as children. Anyone who doesn't agree with Kate all the time is cut off, she did it with her parent's, Jodie and Kevin, Beth and Bob, Carla, numerous people from the church she went to and stopped going as soon the divorce happened. These people donated money and time to the family from the minute Kate was pregnant with the sextuplets and would volunteer to help feed the sextuplets through the night in the first few weeks home from hospital and Kate dropped them all without caring about the impact that would have on the children.

Jon got screwed over by Kate and TLC and it has taken him years to rebuild himself. He was also judged for partying a bit after the break up and dating a few women that were younger but after 10 years who can blame him, Kate used that to her advantage and painted him out as the bad one, sure he made mistakes but Jon was always trying to right by his children on the show. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

I remember watching the show and thinking that Kate was okay- maybe just a jerk to Jon. And then there was an episode where the kids got the flu, and she made at least one of them sleep in on the laundry room floor cause they had been vomiting.  They were tiny toddlers at that point.  That was a huge red flag to me. And then she stuck Alexis in the basement for some BS reason and made her slew down there. Who does that to their small child? I always thought Alexis would be the one to run to Jon- I was surprised that it was Hannah. Kate always seemed to hate Alexis like she did Colin. 

When I saw the show when the kids were older, it seemed like Kate had chilled out a bit when it came to how she handled them. I wonder if she is a better teen parent than a kid parent? And maybe that’s why the other four haven’t fled? I’m happy though that Colin and Hannah have a chance at normalcy with Jon. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

I remember when they said Alexis slept in the basement.  It was supposedly because she would wake up at night and disturb the other kids.  Didn't make sense at all, because I see Khate's kids as being to afraid of her to make any disturbances if they woke up at night, and no one wants a small child wandering around alone in the basement at night, too many bad things could happen.

It was found later that the person sleeping in the basement was actually Jon.  The kids were forbidden to admit that Daddy sleeps downstairs, so a story was invented for anyone who wondered about who was sleeping down there.  It explains one episode where someone asked where something was, and one of the kids piped up that it was in Daddy's room and ran to get it.  When fans noticed and started speculating, that episode had cut that line out.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2
  • Love 1

Hate-watching Kate Plus 8 (actually six) so you don’t have to:

The twins are visiting colleges, and of course Kate has to take them and bring the other kids. In a TH, Kate’s hair and makeup look very fake. She refers to the sextuplets as “the little kids” again, even though they’re 14 (now 15). Hannah is with Jon (“her choice, whatever”). Flashbacks to the early years. Twins totally will not miss each other, their siblings, or their mother.

Twins TH: Most exciting thing about college? Mady: Getting away from home. Not kidding. They visit a small college in North Carolina called Belmont Abbey. Cara is pre-med. Mady has no idea, but isn’t a math/science person. Mady understandably wants to be anonymous at a large college. Also, she thinks the dorm looks like a prison and she doesn’t want a roommate. Four younger kids TH: The twins are ready to get out of here. Collin apparently will not be mentioned at all.

Commercial break with a new Duggar season promo: Jinger and Jeremy are in LA: Kendra’s pregnant; Josiah and Lauren’s gender reveal; Grandma Mary’s funeral; Abbie’s surprise arrival at the multiple pregnancy photo shoot.

Twins TH where they complain about how Mom won’t let them drive. Kate makes them do the grocery shopping while she stays in the car. Kate doesn’t want to teach them. Joel (who looks exactly like Jon) thinks they’re probably bad drivers. A professional gives them a lesson in North Carolina. Then they visit a go-kart track will all the kids. The boys pull some maneuver, and Kate goes into the wall (Mady: “Maybe she shouldn’t be trying to be her kids.”) As Kate is pulled out, she whines about how she almost passed Aiden, and in THs, Mady says Kate’s the most competitive person in the world, and the younger kids are happy that Aiden sidelined Kate. Joel wins the race. Kate is injured and the kids are “so over it,” but Kate gets an x-ray and has a cracked rib.

They go to an outdoor activities place. Kate says the younger kids were jealous of the time they went bungee diving in New Zealand, so they’re jumping off a tower now. Nervous whining ensues until I want to push them all off the tower. Only Cara does it. They go out to lunch and are nasty to each other. Mady says “the little kids stayed home a lot” on the trip, so it sounds like they had a lake house and the twins had some freedom.

Now it’s almost time for the twins to leave and they’re having crab legs for dinner. Whoa - the younger kids are normally not allowed to eat in the dining room. They eat in the kitchen, while the twins and presumably Kate are in the dining room. They put plastic on the dining room table, which triggers some sort of sensory issue for Kate. Then Leah frosts a cake and Kate says “please don’t ruin this” and that she’ll do the sides. Then Leah freaks out about how Kate’s doing the cake. Kate at least has the self-awareness to recognize that Leah is just like her.

Cara says Kate hasn’t made dinner in like a year. Dinner is reasonably functional. Cara can’t wait to not live together so they will get along better. What will the younger kids miss about the twins? They come up with a few things. They’re not the kind of family that talks about why they love each other. The younger kids made goodbye cards. The twins seem touched by the whole evening. Kate talks about how they’re stronger because of hard times and she’s upset because family members keep leaving. More flashbacks. Kate says nice things about them in voiceover. She’s just going to pretend they’re still upstairs.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 23
  • Love 2

I love all the snarky comments about Kate from the kids. I know they aren’t fundies so they haven’t been “trained” to keep sweet, but it’s still refreshing and gives me hope for the Gosselin kids. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

I love all the snarky comments about Kate from the kids. I know they aren’t fundies so they haven’t been “trained” to keep sweet, but it’s still refreshing and gives me hope for the Gosselin kids. 

What’s crazy is that Kate just doesn’t give a single fuck about trying to make her family seem functional or happy anymore. She’s just doing it for the money and it’s so obvious. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Thank you for the episode recap!! Can we go back to Collin’s roommate having to sneak out a letter for him? What the actual fuck? Collin wasn’t allowed to write to or contact his dad? What the fuck kind of Hell hole was he living in??? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

I have not watched any of the Gosselin kids for years. I think I tried watching Kate plus 8 reboot for maybe three episodes and gave up. It was mainly because I could see through Kate's BS.

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

They go to an outdoor activities place. Kate says the younger kids were jealous of the time they went bungee diving in New Zealand, so they’re jumping off a tower now. Nervous whining ensues until I want to push them all off the tower. Only Cara does it. They go out to lunch and are nasty to each other.

Bolded by me (thanks for watching and recaping for us btw!). When I watched the reboot, I had noticed that some of the kids did a lot of bitching about one another in the TH. The teenage twins seemed to HATE the sextuplets (Mady more specifically). Now I can totally understand that a bunch of tweens and teens can be mean towards one another. God know's how many times me and my sister screamed at each other. But now that you mentionned a similar pattern still present on the show today, I wonder what part of that behavior is probably because of Kate's parenting. I doubt she is the kind of person to foster brotherly-sisterly love between her children.

Edit: the episode is on Youtube actually. And I second what I just said. None of those kids seem to have a strong bond between one another. So sad. Probably a narcisitic mother doesn't help. That is something even the Duggars children were able to have growing up.

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 8
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1

It’s sad that even the “groups” (twins, sextuplets) don’t have the strong bond many multiples share. I wonder how many of them will leave at 18 and never see Kate (or even their siblings!) again. Just because they don’t want to see Jon, doesn’t mean they’re happy with Kate.

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Kate spent years pitting the kids against each other so I'm not shocked that they don't get along with each other.  I would guess that the vast majority of those kids problems can be directly linked back to Kate's parenting, which is very sad.

Again, given what she did on a tv show and in public, imagine what kind of house of horrors it was for the kids when there weren't cameras following them around :( 

Someone mentioned they thought Alexis would be the one that was the first to escape to Jon along with Colin, I thought the same thing, but then after I thought about it, Hannah was somewhat of a golden child.  I imagine that put a lot of pressure on her and did a lot to harm her relationship with the other kids.

Hopefully, once they have all "aged out" and can get away from Kate, they can begin to repair their relationships with each other and Jon.

I wonder if they still have the dog and bird.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Curious said:

Someone mentioned they thought Alexis would be the one that was the first to escape to Jon along with Colin, I thought the same thing, but then after I thought about it, Hannah was somewhat of a golden child.  I imagine that put a lot of pressure on her and did a lot to harm her relationship with the other kids.

Yeah, I remember Hannah ( "my little helper") and Aiden (" the little professor") being Kate's favorites, with "tiny Leah" sometimes being favored by their mom. I admit to being surprised that Hannah left Kate, but I can see your point about the pressure that position may have put on her.

I liked Kate's "spunk" in the beginning, but the way she talked to and treated Jon and the kids most of the time on camera, and her self-centeredness and utter lack of warmth, soon led me to dislike her.

I realize that it's all mediated through selective editing, etc, but have seen enough interviews of Kate over the years that, coupled with the footage, have led me to the conclusion that she is a true narcissist, and probably an utter terror to live with or around.

I hope those kids get into therapy as soon as possible.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I don’t think I disliked Kate at first because I was young and didn’t know that much about reality tv families and how fake it all is. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

Yeah, I remember Hannah ( "my little helper") and Aiden (" the little professor") being Kate's favorites, with "tiny Leah" sometimes being favored by their mom. I admit to being surprised that Hannah left Kate, but I can see your point about the pressure that position may have put on her.

I liked Kate's "spunk" in the beginning, but the way she talked to and treated Jon and the kids most of the time on camera, and her self-centeredness and utter lack of warmth, soon led me to dislike her.

I realize that it's all mediated through selective editing, etc, but have seen enough interviews of Kate over the years that, coupled with the footage, have led me to the conclusion that she is a true narcissist, and probably an utter terror to live with or around.

There were a few things that really turned me off.  I kind of liked Kate in the beginning because I can be similar in some ways, though I am aware they are not positive traits and I try to keep them in check and I was REALLY careful to keep them in check when I had toddlers.

I've mentioned the "time out" corner one, but another one I just thought of was after Kate had her tummy tuck and hadn't seen the kids for like a week.  When she went in their room they all just kind of stood there and not a single one of them reached up their arms to be picked up.   In my experience, even with kids I babysat as a teenager and with my own kids the second a toddler sees someone that can get them out of their "cage" they will reach up no matter who it is.

That made me so sad because I realized either they were being punished for doing it or were left to "cry it out" so often they learned it didn't do any good to ask for "uppies."   

She is just really an awful person.  I wonder what she is going to end up doing once the last of the sextuplets leave because I seriously doubt people are still going to want to watch her date into middle age and beyond.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

At least she got what she deserved and was turned into this great meme.

Hahahaha.

Spoiler

fa6a7b89e2c45bdc3298b97612cd5d9b.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 13
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

I HHHhhhaaaaated that because a baby needed glasses, he was referred to as the little professor.
FFS.
It's the 21st century (ok, 20th when this cluster started, but, shhh), glasses =/= nerdy and professorial.  glasses = need vision help.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, dawbs said:

I HHHhhhaaaaated that because a baby needed glasses, he was referred to as the little professor.
FFS.
It's the 21st century (ok, 20th when this cluster started, but, shhh), glasses =/= nerdy and professorial.  glasses = need vision help.

She also claimed he was special needs at  various times.   When she wanted to keep the state paid nurse after they turned one, she said things like they were disabled because they couldn't walk on their own and they needed special care, which was a daily vitamin in drops form, IIRC.

She also said it was unfair for her to be alone with 8 kids all day and that was a safety issue.

Her entitlement knew no bounds from the very beginning

Edited by Curious
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, Curious said:

She also said it was unfair for her to be alone with 8 kids all day and that was a safety issue.

Yes, I agree it was unfair her eight children were stuck being abused by her all day and agree she is a safety issue. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Yes, I agree it was unfair her eight children were stuck being abused by her all day and agree she is a safety issue. 

I decided to pull up some snippets from the hearing for old time's sake. Bolding mine.

Kate Gosselin is a registered nurse. But she said she’s too busy caring for the sextuplets and twins and running a household to spend enough time with each child to spot all of their individual needs.

Kate Gosselin wiped tears while saying that Krall has noticed diaper rashes, fevers and even pneumonia in the children.

If the switch to a home-health aide is made, Kate Gosselin fears she would need a long time to find the right worker.

In the meantime, she said, “It’s me with eight children, which is not fair.”

The state’s medical consultant testified that Krall bathes and feeds the infants, changes diapers and cleans their surroundings.

A daily vitamin is the only medicine the infants take.

“I could find no medical need to have a skilled nurse in the house,” he said. “What the Gosselins need is someone to stay with mom and dad.”

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Kate has been caught out lying about still trying to maintain a relationship with Hannah, like she claimed on the show, she doesn't invite her on trips and didn't even send her anything for her birthday a few months back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Kate has been caught out lying about still trying to maintain a relationship with Hannah, like she claimed on the show, she doesn't invite her on trips and didn't even send her anything for her birthday a few months back. 

I have a feeling Kate is going to be extremely lonely in a few years. Most of her kids will happily leave for college and start their own lives. What will she do with her life after the last 4 leave? No one will want to watch a stupid dating show. Will she finally go back to working a regular job? I doubt it. She’s more likely to write a stupid book. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

After reading the recap, I am glad Hannah and Colin have each other and that Jon has custody of them. I hope the other kids can break away from Kate. I do wonder how Cara and Mady are doing in college. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

After reading the recap, I am glad Hannah and Colin have each other and that Jon has custody of them. I hope the other kids can break away from Kate. I do wonder how Cara and Mady are doing in college. 

Collin and Hannah seem so much happier with Jon and his girlfriend, they have genuine smiles in pictures and I doubt Jon and his partner bark orders at them to do stuff all day or have meltdowns over a bit of mess or for breathing too loudly. 

I hope that Cara and Mady are doing well those two girls being the oldest, probably had to deal with a lot after their parent's divorced and I hope the begin to realise their father wasn't the monster Kate made him out to be, he made mistakes but loves them. I hope they get to get to live a normal life at college and the distance from Kate will do them good.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I hope Hannah & Collin become good friends with Jon’s girlfriend’s daughter. It could be really helpful for them to have someone their age who’s in their corner. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a feeling Kate is going to be extremely lonely in a few years. Most of her kids will happily leave for college and start their own lives. What will she do with her life after the last 4 leave? No one will want to watch a stupid dating show. Will she finally go back to working a regular job? I doubt it. She’s more likely to write a stupid book. 

What would she write about though?  Didn't she already write a book or was that just a cookbook?  No one is going to want to read how she beat the kids in private or whatever she did to them.  They were on tv from toddler to adult, what more do we need to know about them?

That being said, I'd probably buy a book she wrote just to give it a scathing review

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1