IGNORED

Jon is trying to get full custody of Collin

DarkAnts

Hannah has been living full time with Jon since May. Kate tried to fight this but lost partly because she did not file the paperwork in time. Hannah is now going to a public school.  Jon and Hannah started to visit Collin at his facility this summer. Kate tried to keep Collins location from Jon but he finally found him. Jon applied for full legal and physical custody of Collin in October. Collin visited Jon early this month and will be visiting him again over thanksgiving. Jon wants to have Collin home permanently by mid December. This will of course depend on the courts decision of custody. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I don’t keep up with these two but I’m glad Hannah is able to live with the parent she wants to live with. I think she’s old enough to know which parent’s home is the best place for her. As long as John isn’t being a totally lax parent letting her do whatever she wants. But I kind of doubt that’s the case. I’m guessing she’s just lost in the chaos and strict rules of Kate’s house. Maybe at Jon’s house she feels like she can be herself. She may not like being in a large family. I can’t really blame her if she doesn’t. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I always hated Kate, she seemed like a terrible parent. I know a lot of it is editing, but I could never figure out why some of the people i knew at work thought she was the most wonderful mother and Jon was terrible. 

Of course she's the kind of divorced parent to hide the location of one of the children. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Why was Collin in a facility? Poor kid. I hope his dad does get full custody of him.

eta: I did a quick search and it looks like Kate sent him away to get him off the cameras, instead of canceling the show. But it says he’s doing well so maybe getting away from Kate was what he needed.

Edited by Kailash
Adding
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I once heard a theory that the show was popular because couples could watch it and the husband could say “I’m not nearly as useless as Jon!” and the wife could say “I’m not nearly as bitchy as Kate!”

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I once heard a theory that the show was popular because couples could watch it and the husband could say “I’m not nearly as useless as Jon!” and the wife could say “I’m not nearly as bitchy as Kate!”

I really only saw a few episodes, when the kids were young and they were still married. (And the one where Kate drags them to Alaska and whines the entire time because she's a wet blanket.) I never thought Jon was useless, more like he was balance to Kate's overbearing/controlling nature. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Kailash said:

Why was Collin in a facility? Poor kid. I hope his dad does get full custody of him.

eta: I did a quick search and it looks like Kate sent him away to get him off the cameras, instead of canceling the show. But it says he’s doing well so maybe getting away from Kate was what he needed.

Kate has been Collin who since he was sent away. I would not put it past her to put him in a Christian troubled child home and expect him to stay there until he was 18. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Kate has been Collin who since he was sent away. I would not put it past her to put him in a Christian troubled child home and expect him to stay there until he was 18. 

I’m sorry, I can’t understand your first sentence. I agree with the second sentence though. 

• I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Those poor kids. When they all start writing their ‘tell all’ books it’s going to be grim reading.

And to think Kate came across as quite normal in the original TLC special. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Kailash said:

That is no reason to put a kid in a residential facility. At all. Find a relative (like, for instance, his father) who’ll take him in, but a facility is not the answer and takes a place away from a kid who really needs it for mental health or behavioral issues. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Kailash said:

I read he had behavioral issues or something. But living with his father and outpatient therapy should have been a first step before going to a facility. Maybe getting away from the chaos of a big family and an asshole mother would have helped. Facilities can be great for teaching coping and behavioral skills (and protecting families in cases where behavioral issues can result in other family members being harmed) but they also lack the kind of love and attention kids need that only a parent can provide. Which I guess Kate doesn’t provide anyway. Keeping his location from John is super super shitty. Not just to John but also to Collin. 

• I Agree 8
  • Love 2

I never like Kate, she was always a cold, controlling harridan who sought fertility treatments so she could engage in performative motherhood. Jon was a wimpy abused husband, I used to cringe at how she spoke to him and how he accepted her crap. I don't think any of those children will want to have anything to do with her once they become adults. I feel sorry for them all, always have.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets along ok with her 18 year old twins. I think she’s incredibly controlling. But I’ve seen two types of controlling parents. The kind that want to control their children’s lives forever. And the other type wants to control their lives but once they are adults, they can basically wash their hands if it all. Like if they can’t control their kid anymore, they go the opposite direction and become completely hands off. That seems like Kate’s type to me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Kailash said:

I’m sorry, I can’t understand your first sentence. I agree with the second sentence though. 

Kate has not acknowledged Collins existence since she kicked him out of her house. There is no evidence that she has visited him or that he has been home. Jon and Hannah visited Collin this summer. He is now allowed to go to Jon’s for some weekends and Holidays. 

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets along ok with her 18 year old twins. I think she’s incredibly controlling. But I’ve seen two types of controlling parents. The kind that want to control their children’s lives forever. And the other type wants to control their lives but once they are adults, they can basically wash their hands if it all. Like if they can’t control their kid anymore, they go the opposite direction and become completely hands off. That seems like Kate’s type to me. 

Kate has done her best to keep Jon from having a relationship with the kids. She has bribed the twins to go on national TV and say they hate Jon. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

@DarkAnts That is sad. What kind of mother puts her child in a facility and then acts like he doesn’t exist? That’s terrible. 

She proudly told the media that Jon did not know where Collin was. The court ordered her to tell Jon where he was but Kate refused to do so. Jon has to spend his own money and time to find his son. 

Kate is a bitch.

• Upvote 16
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I hope Kate did her research and found a facility with a good record. I’ve read articles recently about abusive places. She probably doesn’t care enough though.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://people.com/tv/jon-gosselin-talks-possible-marriage-with-girlfriend-colleen-conrad/

In this article, Jon talks about getting temporary full custody of Collin. Although I wish he would stop giving interviews altogether and let his kids have some privacy, I thinks his answers are much better than Kate’s are typically. He doesn’t throw her under the bus, he just says that the transition from the facility to a home with fewer people will be easier for Collin and that Collin asked to live with him. I’ve seen other recent interviews where he has said other than Hannah and Collin, his kids currently aren’t talking to him. But even then he just says it’s ok and he loves them and he refuses to elaborate. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

https://people.com/tv/jon-gosselin-talks-possible-marriage-with-girlfriend-colleen-conrad/

In this article, Jon talks about getting temporary full custody of Collin.

That link went to an article where Jon talks about possibly marrying Colleen.  That has been a stable relationship for 4 years now.  Good for them.

This is the People article where Jon talks about getting full custody of Collin, at least temporarily. https://people.com/tv/jon-gosselin-doesnt-talk-most-kids/

Heh.  People Mag has always been unashamedly pro-Kate.  So instead of leading with the fact that Jon now has full custody of both Hannah and Collin, the headline is that he is now estranged from the other 6.  Cara and Mady have been estranged from him for years.  The other 4 were still visiting him regularly - at least until Hannah fled from Kate.  Suspicious.  Perhaps Kate's afraid all the tups will want to live with Jon too if she lets them out of her sight.

But yay for Jon and Collin.  Apparently Kate didn't even bother to attend the hearing.  And browsing other articles it seems Hannah and Collin now have GALs assigned.  I wish that were true for the others.  

I haven't been paying attention.  Apparently Kate has been filming a new show, Kate Plus Date.  No air date yet.  The minor kids won't be appearing on it because Jon refused to sign their work permits.  Again, yay Jon!

“It was supposed to air,” Jon told Us, noting that he refused to allow the former couple’s eight children — 18-year-old twins Cara and Mady and 14-year-old sextuplets Aaden, Alexis, Collin, Hannah, Joel and Leah — to appear in the docuseries.

“I didn’t sign their work permits. That’s why they can’t film,” he said. “They came to me and I was like, ‘No, I’m not signing that.’”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jon-gosselin-doesnt-think-kate-gosselin-will-find-love-on-tv/

That is fascinating.  Jon has claimed to be against filming the kids for years but I wonder why he didn't do that before.  Perhaps the old work permits lasted through K&8 but now they need new ones.

I can't remember when Cara and Mady turned 18 but as adults they wouldn't need his signature on work permits.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

The twins turned 18 in October 2018. 

@Palimpsest Thanks for linking to the other article. At the end of the one I posted it touches on the custody agreement. People magazine’s online articles often rehash things from other articles they’ve posted previously. I’m sure they have their reasons, but it annoys me to read the same 5 sentences on a topic. 

• Upvote 4

Well, Jon's certainly matured from his J & K divorce days.  No more Ed Hardy shirts, messy girlfriends, or publicly promoted stripping jobs.  A long-term relationship with an educated woman with a very good job and raising kids of her own (I read she's a psych nurse).  Not a single bad word about Kate in that article.  Custody of two kids, including one who may have behavioural issues.  

There's no suggestion from anyone that Jon's done anything egregious to lose contact with those kids.  The inescapable conclusion is that Kate's done this, either literally preventing contact or - more likely - through abuse and manipulation.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

In this article, Jon talks about getting temporary full custody of Collin. Although I wish he would stop giving interviews altogether and let his kids have some privacy, I thinks his answers are much better than Kate’s are typically. He doesn’t throw her under the bus, he just says that the transition from the facility to a home with fewer people will be easier for Collin and that Collin asked to live with him. I’ve seen other recent interviews where he has said other than Hannah and Collin, his kids currently aren’t talking to him. But even then he just says it’s ok and he loves them and he refuses to elaborate. 

Good for Jon for not elabaorating. I wish he wouldn’t to interviews either, but I can also see him feeling like he has to say something since Kate has spent so long making him look bad. Yeah he has a shitty immature phase that may still reflect badly on his parenting abilities, but Kate’s behavior is just so awful. Maybe he doesn’t have another way to let his kids know he loves them. Who knows.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

That link went to an article where Jon talks about possibly marrying Colleen.  That has been a stable relationship for 4 years now.  Good for them.

This is the People article where Jon talks about getting full custody of Collin, at least temporarily. https://people.com/tv/jon-gosselin-doesnt-talk-most-kids/

Heh.  People Mag has always been unashamedly pro-Kate.  So instead of leading with the fact that Jon now has full custody of both Hannah and Collin, the headline is that he is now estranged from the other 6.  Cara and Mady have been estranged from him for years.  The other 4 were still visiting him regularly - at least until Hannah fled from Kate.  Suspicious.  Perhaps Kate's afraid all the tups will want to live with Jon too if she lets them out of her sight.

But yay for Jon and Collin.  Apparently Kate didn't even bother to attend the hearing.  And browsing other articles it seems Hannah and Collin now have GALs assigned.  I wish that were true for the others.  

I haven't been paying attention.  Apparently Kate has been filming a new show, Kate Plus Date.  No air date yet.  The minor kids won't be appearing on it because Jon refused to sign their work permits.  Again, yay Jon!

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jon-gosselin-doesnt-think-kate-gosselin-will-find-love-on-tv/

That is fascinating.  Jon has claimed to be against filming the kids for years but I wonder why he didn't do that before.  Perhaps the old work permits lasted through K&8 but now they need new ones.

I can't remember when Cara and Mady turned 18 but as adults they wouldn't need his signature on work permits.

People magazine needs to stop being pro-awful people (Kate, the Duggars, etc). I agree it’s fishy he saw the others regularly until he got custody of Hannah. I wouldn’t put it past Kate to threaten the kids over seeing him or make things up about him.

I wonder why he didn’t stop filming before. Maybe the work permits changed with custody changes or with the twins becoming legal adults and there was one document for all the kids? Or maybe he finally had enough, or a kid asked him not to sign.

I’m also wondering why Collin went straight to a facility instead of moving in with Jon as a first step. Seems logical. I’d imagine if someone had behavioral issues those would be made worse by a chaotic, full household. So being just with Jon or Jon and one sibling could have helped. I don’t know. I’ve heard so many bad things about so many facilities that treat behavioral problems in general that it just makes me feel icky. I know behavioral issues can be really hard on families, but if you have an option you can try first why wouldn’t you use that? Then just basically dumping him off, not telling Jon where he is, etc is just so gross. It’s why I don’t trust Kate to research and find a good one. I’m just rambling now...

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

As to why Jon didn't stop filming before, I sort of remember that the TLC lawyer goons got involved and he ended up not even having the rights to prevent them from filming.  I'm curious what has changed.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kate is a horrible witch, I liked her at first but after watching her berate Jon and the kids on the show if everything wasn't perfect, I couldn't stand it she made sure she alienated the children from all the people that cared about them after her and Jon separated. Her brother and his wife watched all 8 on a regular basis and she cut them off after TLC offered to pay them for the episodes they were doing and Kevin spoke out in concern of the kids after the divorce.

Jon made mistakes post divorce and Kate made sure he paid for it big time. Kate never liked Collin and her journal that was found, details her beating all the kids and pulling their hairs, she admits Collin and Alexis were ones that usually got that treatment. Those were the kids who displayed behavioural problems and I can't help but think she sent Collin away to get rid of him and to spite Jon. I am glad him and Hannah are happy.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3