IGNORED

Alyssa & John 2: Getting By on Their Looks and Fashion Sense

HerNameIsBuffy

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I wish I had straight hair, it would make my life so much easier. My hair is wavy, so I need length and weight to weigh down the fuzz. I have a high proportion of baby, fuzzy hair that drives me nuts. Straight hair would stop my need for a straightener. :P 

Straight hair hasn’t stopped me from having baby fluff and crazy flyaways. I also have fine hair, which just adds to the fun. ?

7 hours ago, onyourwayhome said:

I certainly don’t hate in Alyssa for taking these sponsorships. She is earning money for herself and her family, more power to her. I was specifically commenting on how form fitting leggings are and the fact that she pulled her shirt up. I was wondering if she was going to be modeling sports bras.

i have seen overlap with the products she pushes and the ones pushed by Brittany Aldean. Her husband is one of biggest names in country music and she has 1.1 million followers. The shampoo, the vitamins, etc. I’ve seen Brittany’s sister in law recently do an ad for fabletics as well and her follower count is probably a fifth of Alyssa’s. I think Alyssa fits with these brands better than most of the Duggar girls. Not saying they aren’t getting the offers though. 

Fabletics is Kate Hudson’s company, right? She’s an LGBTQ+ ally who was honored by GLSEN a few years back, she says she’s a feminist, she’s mocked Trump... I wonder if she’d be ok with Alyssa doing sponsored content for her brand or if she’d be upset. 

6 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Straight hair hasn’t stopped me from having baby fluff and crazy flyaways. I also have fine hair, which just adds to the fun. ?

Fabletics is Kate Hudson’s company, right? She’s an LGBTQ+ ally who was honored by GLSEN a few years back, she says she’s a feminist, she’s mocked Trump... I wonder if she’d be ok with Alyssa doing sponsored content for her brand or if she’d be upset. 

i was thinking the same thing 

Few days ago Alyssa posted that engagment anniversary post. Not sure are these pics seen public before, personaly never saw them. But the thing i wanted to say is not only Alyssa looks much better these days evan having three little kids, her face beside happines on these pitcures shows relief in a way "yesss im finnaly saved".

Don't mean to dwell on this but as a super curly red head it's not fair to compare the predjudices bme women face to what a white woman with curls experience. I can wear my hair how I like without judgement about professioanlism- the only comments are on how pretty it is.  It's a totally different thing and it's important to acknowledge the hundreds of years of judgement and oppression. 

Tho I'm so thankful for the natural hair movement- I've learned so much on how to manage my hair! 

2 minutes ago, miss_batson said:

Few days ago Alyssa posted that engagment anniversary post. Not sure are these pics seen public before, personaly never saw them. But the thing i wanted to say is not only Alyssa looks much better these days evan having three little kids, her face beside happines on these pitcures shows relief in a way "yesss im finnaly saved".

Kelly posted these on the family blog back when they got engaged. 

Alyssa has always been beautiful, but I think her style and tastes have changed and matured over the years. Part of that was very likely because she finally had the chance to experiment with fashion after being forced to wear frumpers. She seems more confident now that she’s been out of her parents’ house for a few years and I think that might be part of what you’re noticing. 

I mostly sense happiness in the photos, but I agree that I do get the feeling she was at least a little bit relieved as well. To be fair I thrive in quiet and calm environments like Alyssa does, so I could be projecting a bit. Her parents’ house would be a nightmare for me to try and live in for many reasons, but especially because of how loud and chaotic it seems. I would have been relieved too if I were Alyssa.

I'm thinking with Michael at home back then enforcing the rules in a super strict manner that it couldn't have been easy for Alyssa to shine the way she wanted to, the way Carlin gets to now.  Now, Alyssa is married into a pretty powerful family for their area in Florida.  She works hard but she can have nice things and dress as she wants. 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, formergothardite said:

I just hope she doesn't opt for the ABeka video courses which I've heard are especially awful, but people who want to homeschool with minimal effort are sometimes drawn to. 

. . . . 

ABeka only offers an accredited HS diploma if the students do the videos now. My sibling would prefer to teach themselves but also want their children to have a diploma so they have to do the videos (if they want to homeschool).

I missed the Alyssa bare midriff ad!  I get the feeling they are much closer to the ‘conservative Christian’ side of the religious scale.   More white, middle to upper class Republican from the south that holds on to some beliefs, but really stretch others to accommodate what they’d like. 

36 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

More white, middle to upper class Republican from the south that holds on to some beliefs,

It is easy to forget, because the Duggar and Bates families kind of became the face of IBLP, but this description fit a good many ATI families, including John's. John's family wasn't dressing in crazy outfits and being all Duggar like. His dad managed to fit in in with upper class Republicans along with fitting in with IBLP because there is an overlap in the two groups. 

Even Gothard's last remaining super fan, Alfred, dresses his family in totally normal clothing that you would not look at them and be able to tell from how they dress that they are die-hard Gothard fundies. 

There is crazy overlap in a lot of these fundies circles with ever changing "convictions." I mean my mother is definitely fundie but more of the Oral Roberts/Kathryn Kuhlman variety. We could watch tv, pg-13 and even a few R rated movies, and we were strongly encouraged to go to college and join the military, even us girls. I loved @lisab506

Qq

I loved @Lisafer comments comparing fundies to pizza.  I think of fundies as Baskin Robbins 31 flavors of crazy. Some are vanilla, some are rocky road, some are rainbow sherbet, and some are pretending they're Ben and Jerry's, not Baskin Robbins. They're still ice cream regardless of flavor. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:44 PM, formergothardite said:

I just hope she doesn't opt for the ABeka video courses which I've heard are especially awful, but people who want to homeschool with minimal effort are sometimes drawn to. 

I'm not sure she is. Alyssa may like the cute outfits but she seems pretty okay with most of the stuff Taliban Dan preaches. I'm not sure she is dreading homeschooling. I can easily see Alyssa turning into a Jill Rod. where she would never dream of putting her kids in school but also sees nothing wrong with just handing kids books and making them educate themselves. 

Kelly said in an episode once that they use the Abeka videos and that they are a big help in their large family bc she can’t always sit down with the kids.

I wouldn’t doubt Alyssa will use them too.

Lexi mae is two. Zoey will be one in March. Will we be seeing babies anytime soon for these guys? I hope not for at least one more year but I can see them trying for a boy sooner rather than later.

84B87341-8568-45CA-B2A5-3C9076C3BC4E.png

On 1/23/2019 at 12:28 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I loved @Lisafer comments comparing fundies to pizza.  I think of fundies as Baskin Robbins 31 flavors of crazy. Some are vanilla, some are rocky road, some are rainbow sherbet, and some are pretending they're Ben and Jerry's, not Baskin Robbins. They're still ice cream regardless of flavor. 

But sherbert is not truly ice cream. Yet it often gets mistaken as such, because the two are similiar.  I think that is what happens a lot with groups deemed fundie. Looks like ice cream. Tastes like ice cream. Must be sherbert. Or something like that. I was not too long in a convo about the UK and the various cultural groups that have traditionally made up the country. It was a response that went "but they're all the same" that made me realize that people classify nuances differently. To me nuances are significant.

It is difficult to accept Alyssa as a practicing fundie from what she presents on a regular basis. She seems to be going out of her way to normalize her children and their experiences in a non "holy" way. I was on the fence about her in the past, but I saw a picture of her celebrating Halloween, dressing up her kids and all. That is just not something practicing fundies broadcast. If they're going to do it they usually do so discretely and away from the church.

I spy a pink and purple doctor kit. Let us hope can keep  it and enjoys. 

I love watching Lexi in such comfy outfits. And receiving a doctor playset as a gift. And the Frozen doll, that makes me think they watch secular films with songs and magic. And hey, 2 birthday messages not mentioning God. 

I have no doubt that these little girls are benefiting from Alyssa's practical personality. She holds hateful beliefs (which it's a shame!) but I got the impression she and John are really focused in their ordinary life and not in religion or actively pursuing an agenda. So, even though they are sorrounded by fundie beliefs, at least there's a chance that those girls are not being intensively brainwashed, conversely to some of their cousins or some Grandduggars. 

4 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

difficult to accept Alyssa as a practicing fundie from what she presents on a regular basis. She seems to be going out of her way to normalize her children and their experiences in a non "holy" way. I was on the fence about her in the past, but I saw a picture of her celebrating Halloween, dressing up her kids and all. That is just not something practicing fundies broadcast. If they're going to do it they usually do so discretely and away from the church

I don't think she'll go away. Because she has no reason to do that. 

I really think that Alyssa does what it fits her. She was only 19 but the day after the wedding she was wearing pants, and soon she wore bathing suits and shorts. She's vain so probably it's all she needs to change. She is not a thinker and she's very practical, so she's not going to leave a church (which is a hard decision) as long as she can dress her way and do funny activities with John or the girls.

I think that Alyssa grow up looking at her cousins, who lived a conservative mainstream life, and had envy of them. She had on mind the kind of life she wanted, and it was what she got. A life with modern clothes, where a mother can work and probably with some kind of birth control and church as a Sunday activity, not as the center of her everydaylife. The homeschooling issue will probably her first battle, because it would mean to fight with John's family and I doubt she's strong enough to go for it.

Of course I speculate. But it's been years following the Bates. 

Doc McStuffins kit and Elsa doll. I imagine Alyssa's girls have been allowed to watch Disney Jr. I find it more likely that Lexi has been allowed to watch a little TV and Doc McStuffins is a favorite than anyone in their circle would pick out a Doctor's kit as a birthday present for a little girl. (And I may or not have just looked up that kit on Amazon. My two and a half year old loves Doc, too).

13 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

It is difficult to accept Alyssa as a practicing fundie from what she presents on a regular basis. 

Until she stops going to fundraisers for her ultra fundie father in law Talbian Dan, I will never not see Alyssa as a fundie 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:28 AM, Pecansforeveryone said:

Some are vanilla, 

I’ve long believe there is nothing vanilla about any of his.

14 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

was on the fence about her in the past, but I saw a picture of her celebrating Halloween, dressing up her kids and all. That is just not something practicing fundies broadcast.

Judging from the arguments on John Shrader's page with other IFB not all fundies are ant-Halloween. He has started saying he doesn't want people to argue with him when he posts anti-Halloween stuff because he got tired of his fellow fundies not agreeing with him. 

Alyssa married into a IBLP family who dresses and acts more mainstream. Still fundie but not frumper fundie. She fully embraced the way they dress along with their truly awful fundamental Christian beliefs. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived