IGNORED

Alyssa & John 2: Getting By on Their Looks and Fashion Sense

HerNameIsBuffy

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

Before it's deleted. Alyssa gets mad at a critical commenter on her insta

Ehhh, if a rando told me I was a bratty snob I'd be rude, too. 

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Casserole said:

Especially because Bates are noisy and unrespectful, so Alyssa setting boundaries at her own home is absolutely correct. 

5 hours ago, Casserole said:

Wow. The power of looking good in a red dress. It doesn't justify rudeness, IMO.

It's fine to admire Alyssa's good looks (though this is a snark board, remember). But rudeness is rudeness. 

The mature thing to do would be to delete the comment or ignore it. I suspect she'll learn that as she grows older. 

I actually just thought it was an interesting comment, I wasn't really attacking Alyssa. I always think it's interesting when the fundies (especially the squeaky-clean Bates) show real emotion. 

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Especially because Bates are noisy and unrespectful, so Alyssa setting boundaries at her own home is absolutely correct. 

To be honest, the family can be noisy and disrespectful.   They can act like idiots.   Even when Alyssa was first married, she had sisters going through her closet.   That, of course, could have been staged but if not, that was an invasion of her privacy.   She has the right to set boundaries in her own home.  She grew up in a family that operates without them, they seem like they could bring the entire family over not to mention overrun the house if they could,  so it's imperative that she have rules around who can visit, who can stay.    

Just because she is a member of a big family doesn’t mean she is  suited for a big family lifestyle.   She's in that family purely by accident of birth, she had no control over her situation growing up but she seems determined to exert some control as an adult.   It may not make her likeable to some people, but personally I think she has good reason to set those limits.     

ETA: Seeing how her family is, I give her a lot of slack over seeming "bratty".   This was somebody was the designated "cook" since the age of 12, she comes from a family where the kids were taken advantage of by their parents in some way or another.   It wasn't a normal upbringing relative to that of a lot of kids.   She may have realized it early on and so makes a point from the get-go to set boundaries.    I also get a sense that she's a bit tense around her parents.   She loves them but really doesn't want them around.   Some folks think that it's being disrespectful on her part, but to me, it seems to be natural consequences of taking advantage of your kids.  

52 minutes ago, Hisey said:

But rudeness is rudeness. 

Yes, it is. It is very rude for a stranger to go on a person's social media page to criticize them, just because they're on a "reality" show. It isn't unexpected, and by staying on the show she is opening herself up for it, but it's still very rude.

11 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Yes, it is. It is very rude for a stranger to go on a person's social media page to criticize them, just because they're on a "reality" show. It isn't unexpected, and by staying on the show she is opening herself up for it, but it's still very rude.

Agreed.

Though, I do find it ironic that Alyssa is calling someone out for judging people they don’t know when the cult she’s a part of is all about passing judgement on people they don’t know, especially members of the LGBTQ+ community. Still doesn’t mean I think the person commenting was right to do so, but I do find that a bit funny.

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Though, I do find it ironic that Alyssa is calling someone out for judging people they don’t know when the cult she’s a part of is all about passing judgement on people they don’t know, especially members of the LGBTQ+ community. 

You have a really good point. It's a shame Alyssa can't see the hypocrisy. 

7 hours ago, Casserole said:

Same. I don't understand the criticism about Alyssa's response. Imo, the commenter was an asshole and needed to be told to fuck off. If anyone was rude, it was the person who commented, not Alyssa (regardless of what she looks like in a red dress). 

I did find it interesting that Alyssa mentioned that one shouldn't judge people they don't know. Isn't that kind of their thing?

Aside from being a jerk, the commenter needed to make some edits to her post. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

It’s a MUCH nicer answer then I would have written if someone called me a bratty snob. 

Interesting that she’s basically saying that the show doesn’t show the truth. Not that that will surprise anyone here. :laughing-rollingred:

Alyssa has chosen to create a You Tube channel, and she should expect all kinds of comments. I couldn't watch her show. I find her nasal voice to be grating.

2 hours ago, wandering woman said:

Alyssa has chosen to create a You Tube channel, and she should expect all kinds of comments. I couldn't watch her show. I find her nasal voice to be grating.

This is so so funny. I can’t listen to Joy Duggar’s mush mouth talking. Drives me nuts.  I think Alyssa’s voice has gotten better over time, as have her facial expressions and mannerisms.

25 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

If she is pregnant, she isn't ready to tell: 

image.png.ffa842a00adbbea4983e540b5154f85d.png

I wonder if this will be the longest gap between babies? Did she finally figure out what causes it??

13 hours ago, HereticHick said:

If she is pregnant, she isn't ready to tell: 

image.png.ffa842a00adbbea4983e540b5154f85d.png

Great news.  So glad they're slowing down a bit. 

Alyssa did a house tour video on youtube.  She does seem to be hiding the fundie. 

Anyone getting a MTV cribs vibe at the beginning of the video? Alyssa.... What have you been watching???? I don't really having any snark on the house. Seems like a normal house with children living there. My only complaint is the music she has been using in her videos. Just not for me.

Drinking game: How many times does she have the word "love" somewhere on the walls?

Also: I really hate that Allies bed is like that. It's such a waste of space. She would have so much room to play in there if her bed was against the wall. 

Double also: OMG so many decorations it's making me itchy. 

34 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Drinking game: How many times does she have the word "love" somewhere on the walls?

A lot. Although I prefer that to biblical exhortations everywhere. And woof--that song rendition is interesting--maybe friends of theirs? But I certainly wasn't expecting Spanish verses along with English.

I do not see Alyssa cramming a dozen more kids into her house. Or life.

21 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I wonder if this will be the longest gap between babies? Did she finally figure out what causes it??

Allie and Lexi are 21 months apart. She got pregnant just when Allie turned 1. I think her only surprise baby was Zoey.

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Alyssa did a house tour video on youtube.  She does seem to be hiding the fundie

Because she matches hateful beliefs and a mainstream way of life. As long as she keeps talking about make up and little kids, nobody will be able to see the agenda she supports. But maybe she's not really hiding: I think she is really only interested in fashion. If John's family would become less fundie, she would probably join the new ideology. She does neither seem hateful herself (conversely to Lori or Zsu) nor a deep religious person (conversely to her own sister Michael).

oh wow that house tour gave my type-A personality anxiety. to me it appears she's on the way to Jill Rod tchotchke status. 

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

But maybe she's not really hiding: I think she is really only interested in fashion. If John's family would become less fundie, she would probably join the new ideology. She does neither seem hateful herself (conversely to Lori or Zsu) nor a deep religious person (conversely to her own sister Michael).

I tend to think she is not hiding and she really is how she presents herself: interested in fashion, decorating and her kids.  Honestly don't think she ever was a deep thinker, either with her fundie FOO or now.    I think she goes along and doesn't rock the boat, to be fair it might what she learned to do to survive her upbringing.  

She only married into another fundie family because that's what her father would allow.   Those were her only options, John would have no chance if he was some liberal dude or even not considered fundie enough.   If John's family decided to be less fundie tomorrow, she would go along, just as she has been seen supporting her Congressman father-in-law in the past.   Regarding the latter, I don't think she gives much thought to what she is actually supporting.   She's happy in her life with her family, her interests and that's enough.  

I don't know, I would be careful a bit about the assumptions we are making here. Though in all fairness what I'm about to say is really an assumption as well. I think it is kind of giving a pass to Alyssa saying that she wouldn't be so deeply religious if her in-laws or John wasn't as religious because she's into fashion, makeup and her children. I know plenty of people in my own life who are very religious but look quite normal and are equally into fashion,  makeup and their children. However, they are still very confident in their religious views and will straight up tell you how they feel. Not everyone who holds strong religious views are walking around in prairie skirts and are KJV Bible only and don't allow television in the home. I think there's really no way to know how Alyssa really is, how she acts, and how she feels, just based off of what we see on her Instagram and YouTube videos. Even if she grows up and allows her children to experience more in life than she ever did, still doesn't mean she's not feeding her children the same religious values and information that her parents fed her as well. Maybe just not to the extreme legalism as her parents did.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived