IGNORED

Alyssa & John 2: Getting By on Their Looks and Fashion Sense

HerNameIsBuffy

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

I had the same feeling about it, but couldn't really put it into words. Maybe it's because I'm German and this reminds me to much of the Nazi time and also the indoctrination people had to deal with in the GDR.

My mother was born in Germany in 1928.She was too young for Hitler Youth ,but remembered having to salute.

• Sad 5

13 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Potentially an unpopular opinion, but I find it super creepy to indoctrinate children with the Pledge like this when they don't even understand what they're saying. 

Maybe it's the time I've spent in Germany, but making children pledge allegiance to a flag at all seems borderline fascist to me. (My German husband was absolutely horrified when he learned that most American kids do this in school every day.) Is this even a thing in other countries? 

I have several friends who grew up in the Soviet system. They tell me about all the memorization of pledges and obedience. It always makes me uneasy to watch in this country. 

• Upvote 6

Lexi Mae is so fricking adorable she makes me want another baby. Her prayer just kills me. I have no idea what she said (does anyone?) but she is just a beautiful child.

She is such a good girl. Her anxious look at her parents, wondering if her prayer was done right. The way she folds her little hands and bows her head while her sister prays, just like she's been told to do. My heart aches for her--the way she is trying so hard to be good.

With that said, I don't share Alyssa's amazement at the preciousness of a child's prayer. Those kids have no idea what they are saying. They are doing what they are told. I see their innocence and their trust that they are doing the "right" thing, the thing their mommy and daddy told them to do. But I don't see a connection with God, because they are really too young to understand what that means.

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 18
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

I was probably about Allie's age when I could say the pledge by myself. Each morning, I watched a show called Romper Room, which was sort of like a televised preschool. The did the pledge each day, and also practiced large and small motor skills, letters, counting, and provided a chance to use your imagination. When I was preschool age, fewer children went to preschool than do now.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

watched a show called Romper Room,

And I waited at the end for her to call my name when she was looking into the mirror. "I see Greg, Marsha, Peter, and WiseGirl." Yes, she said my name! A day I watched a lot if tv meant I got to watch Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

50 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

And I waited at the end for her to call my name when she was looking into the mirror. "I see Greg, Marsha, Peter, and WiseGirl." Yes, she said my name! A day I watched a lot if tv meant I got to watch Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo.

The scary thing is, more than 40 years later I can still recite the words that end of the episode when the magic mirror came on. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Now that I know the pledge is viral marketing before viral marketing was a thing, I am totally creeped out. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

They never said my name on Romper Room - too uncommon at the time. Sigh. We also had a Canadian version shot in Kitchener, ON with no pledge. I grew up there and I think I knew a few kids who were on it (can't remember who anymore!)

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I was actually ON it. Don't remember it at all but the video is a crack up haha

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Can you believe it? Girls aren't matching ?  I really, really like Alyssa's shoes ?

I don't like the shoes (how is going to run after Lexi if she runs off?) but I do like her dress. The kids are adorable, as usual.

• Downvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 3

9 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Can you believe it? Girls aren't matching ?  I really, really like Alyssa's shoes ?

Totally off topic but I really really need to move where it's warm enough to dress like that in March!! I'm so jealous!!! 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Totally off topic but I really really need to move where it's warm enough to dress like that in March!! I'm so jealous!!! 

Yup, my morning outfit was: a coat, a scarf and headband. I think I'll only be able to wear a dress like that in freaking July! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

Yup, my morning outfit was: a coat, a scarf and headband. I think I'll only be able to wear a dress like that in freaking July! :pb_lol:

I have worn earmuffs every days since before christmas.  it's not a fashion statement.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Hisey said:

I don't like the shoes (how is going to run after Lexi if she runs off?) but I do like her dress. The kids are adorable, as usual.

Regular heels wearer here: I can hit my 5K race pace for a short burst in heels if so motivated because I wear them a lot and walk in them a lot. I've done strenuous dance routines in 6-inch platform stilettos (Rocky Horror Picture Show). Also, if need be, she could just...take them off. 

I'm not even going to touch the implication that wearing heels means that Alyssa is somehow a bad/neglectful mother. Miss me with that bullshit. 

• Upvote 27
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm not even going to touch the implication that wearing heels means that Alyssa is somehow a bad/neglectful mother. Miss me with that bullshit. 

I think that's coming from you, hon. I wasn't thinking that at all. I don't decide whether someone's a good mom based on their shoes, lol.

You might want to take a look at your values and why you are so insecure about them. So insecure that you imagine people are saying things they aren't. Like it or not, it's OK for me to disagree with Alyssa's choices, you know, even if she is good looking!

Edited by Hisey
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 4
  • Downvote 13
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 2

43 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, if need be, she could just...take them off. 

The baby would be in the street long before she could get them off.

Again, that's her choice. Alyssa does a lot of things I don't like, but she can wear whatever shoes she wants. And I can dislike them (and even think them impractical). People who are emotionally healthy will not feel threatened by my opinion. They'll just think it's mine. 

It's clear you feel stilettos are perfectly practical for chasing toddlers. And you want to defend that view to the death. Go ahead, that's a great hill to die on. Most women I know feel they are faster in flats than they are in stilettos. I understand, though, that you are the exception.

Edited by Hisey
  • Move Along 5
  • Fuck You 5
  • Downvote 12
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • WTF 1

47 minutes ago, Hisey said:

The baby would be in the street long before she could get them off.

Again, that's her choice. Alyssa does a lot of things I don't like, but she can wear whatever shoes she wants. And I can dislike them (and even think them impractical). People who are emotionally healthy will not feel threatened by my opinion. They'll just think it's mine. 

It's clear you feel stilettos are perfectly practical for chasing toddlers. And you want to defend that view to the death. Go ahead, that's a great hill to die on. Most women I know feel they are faster in flats than they are in stilettos. I understand, though, that you are the exception.

My issue is the concern-trolling, not your opinion. The umbrage I take is with this tone of "oh, she's wearing heels, clearly she cares more about fashion than her kid getting turned to chunky salsa by a Chevy Suburban". "I don't like high heels" is a fine enough opinion to hold; concern-trolling a mother for daring to wear shoes she likes to church is tawdry social media nitpicking. There are plenty of stupid-ass things we've seen fundie mothers do (baby cages, improper carseat use, exploiting children for reality television, putting children in bedrooms that don't have doors that open to escape routes in case of a fire, starving babies, enabling child molesters, beating the shit out of infants for acting like infants), but this does not merit a spot on that list. 

• Upvote 38
  • Love 3

@Hisey is an unrepentant troll.  FJ has been much better since I discovered the ignore function and used it on her. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

@Hisey is an unrepentant troll.  FJ has been much better since I discovered the ignore function and used it on her. 

Yep, while she picks on Alyssa for the shoes she wears(and really, can't Alyssa's husband help dash to save the baby from the street?!") she gets all up in arms if anyone dares to address any of the harmful things Alyssa stands for and supports.

I've seen people run in heels better than I can run in flats so I truly doubt this is some sort of a safety issue. 

• Upvote 21

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Regular heels wearer here: I can hit my 5K race pace for a short burst in heels if so motivated because I wear them a lot and walk in them a lot. I've done strenuous dance routines in 6-inch platform stilettos (Rocky Horror Picture Show). Also, if need be, she could just...take them off. 

I find running in heels isn't the problem, it's *stopping* that's difficult. ?

I'm not going to feed the troll anymore, but I will say 1. It takes 1.2 seconds to kick one's high heels off. 2. Some people on this thread have clearly never been to the D.C. Drag Queen High Heel Race, and they're clearly missing out. Maybe this is why they are so captious and unhappy all the time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 18

When a child is in danger, you really cannot overestimate the affect adrenaline will have on the parent trying to save their child.

I have reached the age where I have to consider comfort to be just as important as looks when it comes to picking out shoes. Enjoy it while you can Alyssa!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

25 minutes ago, Ali said:

When a child is in danger, you really cannot overestimate the affect adrenaline will have on the parent trying to save their child.

I have reached the age where I have to consider comfort to be just as important as looks when it comes to picking out shoes. Enjoy it while you can Alyssa!

Yep, I used to be all about heels, I loved them, had 40+ pairs, could run in them, bike in them, dance all night, etc.  Then I got bunions and now I'm down to a handful of pairs that I wear maybe once a month.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Throughout my late teens and twenties I could run in stilettos, too.  I wore them until my mid-forties when a bunion and two dislocated kneecaps made heels in excess of two inches too painful.  (FTR, the dislocations were not caused by the shoes).  

and as @formergothardite said above, John is perfectly capable of monitoring the safety of his own offspring. 

• Upvote 10

• samurai_sarah locked this topic