IGNORED

Alyssa & John 2: Getting By on Their Looks and Fashion Sense

HerNameIsBuffy

Wow. That’s a whole lot of pink. Those colours are burning on my retina.

Did we miss a wedding or christening? Or did they attend a gala fundraiser for Taliban Dan? I refuse to believe people dress up like that for no special reason.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is they were just going to church or home from church. Admittedly, my first thought was "man, what's it like to be so tiny like that?" #veryjealous

23 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

Alyssa comes off as vain/shallow/not intelligent but I find myself wondering if this is the nature of the beast of being raised fundie. Girls are raised to be beautiful for their future husband. They are taught that  having the right hair, the right look, the right clothing is what keeps your daddy/husband/god happy. Why wouldn’t these girls appear shallow to others? Their whole life focus is on appearance. It’s the same on the Erin thread with her hyper focus on the perfect looking family IG. If you look perfect then god will reward you! 

Well Micheala (sp?), Tori, Erin, Kendra, Joy, etc. don't come off as vain and self-absorbed (I see you mention Erin above about always showing photos depicting having the perfect family, but she herself doesn't seem to just love herself, IYKWIM?). They all seem pretty down to earth. Though, I am sure there are numerous examples of self-absorbed fundie maidens. I would error on the side that this is simply Alyssa's ego and demeanor. I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out and I don't think we need to use fundie-dom as an excuse. I know several women in my life (no where near fundie) that are equally self-absorbed and it can be very annoying. Some people are just wired like that I guess.

did anyone see her reply on a comment that her diet is horrific, pizza, Maccas and something else equally bad? 

As a fatty that only has to look at a salad and get fat, I hate people like her. 

I hate people that wear unhealthy eating and the thinness that causes as a badge of honour.

Yes, jealous, I have to work very hard to loose weight. 

She is either lying her skinny arse off and eats healthy, or she eats badly but has great portion control and runs after three kids.

Or she has the metabolism people would pay for.

I hope her smugness doesn't bite her in the arse and her metabolism dies at the fourth kid. 

Alyssa does strike me as very shallow. I do envy her great figure though. 

Yes I am very BEC

36 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

She said she was joking and exercises regularly:

Screenshot_20190226_003532.jpg

ahhh thanks i did miss the jk 

JK for me means jk rowling lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 3:28 PM, Bazinga said:

Well Micheala (sp?), Tori, Erin, Kendra, Joy, etc. don't come off as vain and self-absorbed (I see you mention Erin above about always showing photos depicting having the perfect family, but she herself doesn't seem to just love herself, IYKWIM?). They all seem pretty down to earth. Though, I am sure there are numerous examples of self-absorbed fundie maidens. I would error on the side that this is simply Alyssa's ego and demeanor. I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out and I don't think we need to use fundie-dom as an excuse. I know several women in my life (no where near fundie) that are equally self-absorbed and it can be very annoying. Some people are just wired like that I guess.

Alyssa's vanity didn't show up until her engagement and marriage. Alyssa used to have those serious eyebrows and frizzy hair. She sort of melted into the background. She has a hit or miss style sometimes though. There are some pics where she looks adorable. Then there is that love she has of loud colors that makes the 1980s version of me shake my head. She and Erin both have an issue with picking dresses for Sunday church services that would be more appropriate for a cocktail party or evening wedding event. 

There does seem to be a switchover for most of these girls around age 18. Even Michaela, who was plain Jane before, was curling her hair the morning after a camping trip where most girls would simply throw hair in a ponytail and wait to get home. Alyssa used to have those serious eyebrows and frizzy hair. Even Joy Duggar, who admittedly wasn't comfortable with it, started on that same road to snag a man. Tori was the same way. They both seem to have stopped a bit since getting married. 

Erin was the queen of the vain back in her late teens/early adulthood. Remember all the video tutorials about her hair? She didn't want to wear helmets for safety during certain activities because it would ruin her hair. I believe it was during her labor with Carson that she kept pulling the blankets and sheets up over her face because she wasn't wearing makeup. She's better about it now, but still has that attention seeking streak in her. 

51 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Erin was the queen of the vain back in her late teens/early adulthood. Remember all the video tutorials about her hair? She didn't want to wear helmets for safety during certain activities because it would ruin her hair. I believe it was during her labor with Carson that she kept pulling the blankets and sheets up over her face because she wasn't wearing makeup. She's better about it now, but still has that attention seeking streak in her. 

Erin reminds me of the wives depicted in Marvelous Mrs. Maisel where they get up after their husband fall asleep and take off their makeup and put cream on their faces and then wake up before their husband to put the makeup back on to make it look like they slept that way all night. Did women really do this back then? 

6 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I thought that she was pulling the blankets up because she was in immense pain and didn't really want to be recorded. It didn't seem vain to me at the time just sad that she had agreed to be recorded and then found that she was in more pain than she was able to deal with.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:10 AM, HereticHick said:

Wow--where do you even find a hot pink suit in East Tennessee?

Somebody on the internet must be pushing this stuff, because I've seen it a lot lately. Last week at my local Mardi Gras festival I saw dozens of frat boy types in wild novelty suits.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:25 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I work with taxes and accounts, in a big office with a big team. And in my experience, it's possible to be good with numbers/regulations and at the same time have no cultural interests or even looking *dumb* in other academic/professional fields.

I've done lots of copy editing in the course of my career and I've see lots of highly educated people make spelling errors just as bad as "mid-evil." I myself probably make them from time to time. For the most part Alyssa's writing doesn't seem awful to me.

7 hours ago, Mrs.Right said:

Erin reminds me of the wives depicted in Marvelous Mrs. Maisel where they get up after their husband fall asleep and take off their makeup and put cream on their faces and then wake up before their husband to put the makeup back on to make it look like they slept that way all night. Did women really do this back then? 

Yes! My aunt confided in me that she did this for over a year when she first married my uncle! I believe they were married in the late 50's? 

There is the old tale about a man who just got married to the woman he has been dating for a year. Honey moon night comes , bride goes into the bathroom. When she comes out She has taken off her wig, colored contacts, make up, lashes, padded bra, very high heels.  His 5’8 busty blue eyed blond is now a 5’4 C cup mousy brown haired and eyed ?

49 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:
8 hours ago, Mrs.Right said:

Yes! My aunt confided in me that she did this for over a year when she first married my uncle! I believe they were married in the late 50's

I think it probably depended on the woman, even back then. My parents got married in the late 1950s, and I can't imagine my mom doing that. She's never "made up" her face more than a little powder or foundation and some lipstick, so I'm betting she would laugh at the idea of this. No matter which decade it is, people aren't all the same. 

15 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I thought that she was pulling the blankets up because she was in immense pain and didn't really want to be recorded. It didn't seem vain to me at the time just sad that she had agreed to be recorded and then found that she was in more pain than she was able to deal with.

I would buy that if she hadn't about faced and allowed the cameras to shoot once she had the make up on and her hair done. 

On 3/6/2019 at 9:36 AM, miss_batson said:

Little Allie ?

Potentially an unpopular opinion, but I find it super creepy to indoctrinate children with the Pledge like this when they don't even understand what they're saying. 

Maybe it's the time I've spent in Germany, but making children pledge allegiance to a flag at all seems borderline fascist to me. (My German husband was absolutely horrified when he learned that most American kids do this in school every day.) Is this even a thing in other countries? 

I had the same feeling about it, but couldn't really put it into words. Maybe it's because I'm German and this reminds me to much of the Nazi time and also the indoctrination people had to deal with in the GDR.

Same thoughts here. My parents were raised under the Spanish dictature laws and they hated all those hyms and indoctrination. Nowadays alt-right parties are coming back here and are pushing schools to teach *love for the flag* and things like that and it's scaring!

Children shouldn't be involved in politics and shouldn't be teached to say words or make commitments they don't understand. 

I slightly agree! Especially when we know these girls will get a second class education, the things that Alyssa chooses to zone in are telling. Allie is 3? This would obviously take a lot work to get her to memorize this. I have less of an issue with the pledge in general. But spending hours with a young child on this shows strange priorities. 

Second class education? You give Alyssa way too much credit. I call it bottom level education at best.

Plenty of Americans feel the same way. I was never comfortable with it, even as a child long ago. It doesn't really require having a specific cultural history so much as an understanding of what it's suggesting. 

The history of the pledge is really very interesting, and in this particular era, probably a useful thing for people to know; the whole thing is just packed with irony. Here is a brief overview, and this goes into more detail, though I can't like the writer's style much. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived