IGNORED

Alyssa & John 2: Getting By on Their Looks and Fashion Sense

HerNameIsBuffy

We all agree that the Bates/Duggars kids are conservative. Nobody's arguing there. No need for a list of evangelical behaviors they engage in, I can make my own!

I thought the question was--how have they rejected their parents values? And they have, in many ways. Some are minor, some not so much.

Those little kids you feel so sorry for (Miriam Anderson, Jennifer Duggar. . .) grow up into adults trying to find their way, with histories of trauma and abuse to deal with. Of course they are not going to reject 100% of what their parents say, but the things they do reject (quite a number of things!) are encouraging! 

I certainly will not snark on Miriam Anderson if she attends a conservative church in 10 years. These things take time. I'm sure she has many fond memories of her crazy mom (Advent calendars, etc) and can't break things off easily, plus there is the brainwashing and abuse to content with.

Edited by Hisey

On 2/5/2019 at 4:40 PM, nausicaa said:

Yes, Hisey, we are just catty bullies, unlike yourself, who has shit on the Bateses for-- unfurls the Hisey scroll of BECness-- using box color, repainting their bedrooms, dressing their children in white, studying cosmetology, taking selfies, using the free Publix-provided smash cakes, not having sufficient "happy eyes" in their honeymoon photos, and wearing high heels. 

Some of the recent examples of your magnanimous empathy include

Thought it was the time to quote this since we are getting lectured on calling out adults for the damaging things they do. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 6

Seriously, @Hisey, are you ever going to respond to this? We're terrible people lacking in empathy because we hold adults responsible for their own beliefs and decisions, yet your constant mind-reading and fan fiction about all kinds of weird, random, petty stuff about them is a-ok? I'd love to hear your justification for that. Because it honestly seems like you kind of just want to write Bates fan fiction and get angry when we dare to intrude with reality.

• Upvote 21
  • Love 1

On 2/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, Palimpsest said:

I feel I should know that Tim guy's last name too.  Can anyone place him?

That's Becky Keilen's boyfriend, Tim Forman. 

• Thank You 4

6 hours ago, Bethella said:

That's Becky Keilen's boyfriend, Tim Forman. 

Thanks.  I knew he looked familiar.

• Upvote 3

So Alyssa wrote mid-evil instead of medieval...I’m thinking its a pun but Idk if it makes lots of sense since I didn’t really see anything indicating evil. 

I just really hope that’s not the way she thinks the word is spelled cause damn

15B288AA-DD0A-4408-A2CF-9ABA0CC5A604.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

So Alyssa wrote mid-evil instead of medieval...I’m thinking its a pun but Idk if it makes lots of sense since I didn’t really see anything indicating evil. 

I just really hope that’s not the way she thinks the word is spelled cause damn

15B288AA-DD0A-4408-A2CF-9ABA0CC5A604.jpeg

"Mid-evil"? Come on. Seriously, Alyssa? Does she think there was a lower-evil and upper-evil period as well? ?‍♀️

Maybe it was a Freudian slip, though. If you're in the middle of a party full of fundies/Gothardites, you certainly are mid-evil.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

I can’t help it. I want more. More photos. More mid evil gladiators and princesses, And bow wearing peasant babies.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

Hello everyone, first time poster here. I must admit when I first saw the ‘mid-evil’ caption I was wondering what the hell is a partially evil themed party? 

I really hope it was meant to be a pun, maybe along the lines of the evil Romans responsible for Jesus’s death... or maybe I’m reading too much into a spelling fail.

On a side note, I love Whitney’s busty milkmaid look ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

ah those centurions of the mid-evil ages! Why not to add Cleopatra and a couple gladiators to the party?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

What does a centurion has to do with the middle-ages?

I get the impression that Alyssa and John didn't study the mid-evil days a great deal during their school times! And I don't think that was any sort of a pun. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 13

Mid-Evil ? It's better than last year's theme because it shows that fundies don't have a clue what medieval means. Damn! 

They look like they are cosplaying Game of Thrones badly. 

Edited by Carm_88
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3

It wasn’t that long ago these people were not able to feed their children without the help of one of their, then teenaged, sons.

It wasn’t that long ago that Gil bragged about using ER resources for routing medical care on the taxpayers dime because he could afford to insure his family.

And now they have money for pilot lessons, cosplay parties with rented costumes including bringing in kids from out of state?

I wonder which G and K find sweeter?  The money from shilling their facade on UP or that fat Gothard money bilked from people conned into joining their cult?

No foodbanks down there that could use the help?  No Christian charity that needs doing as looks like there is quite the surplus in the Batesess coffers.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

so Alyssa's Mid-evil period stretches from Roman gladiators to the late Victorian-ish of Erin's diamond tiara and white opera gloves?  without the mid-evil label, i never would have been able to figure out what they were going for.  i saw Erin's photo first and honestly thought the theme was Disney Princess.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I get the impression that Alyssa and John didn't study the mid-evil days a great deal during their school times! And I don't think that was any sort of a pun. 

It's definitely not a pun. I know someone personally (who once mentioned that they hadn't read a book since eighth grade with some pride in their voice) who spelled "medieval" as "Mid-Evil."

God, Alyssa is so, so dumb. I don't know why this isn't called out more. Those poor girls don't stand a chance if they are homeschooled.

• Upvote 16
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I don't really care that their costumes aren't remotely accurate. The party was obviously supposed to just be a fun, fantastical dress-up event, not an accurate representation of any particular historical period, even though several of them claimed the theme was 'Renaissance'. I mean, whatever. It's just for fun, no big deal.

But Alyssa's 'mid-evil' is painful. Unless it truly was meant as a joke or a pun, it shows that she's so ignorant that she didn't even pause to think, "Wait, mid-evil? Is that right? Maybe I should look it up?" Honestly, this kind of glib, thoughtless, cheerful ignorance is what's destroying America. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it's not. And this is being passed on to the next generation.

If this were a one-time mistake, I wouldn't be ragging on her for it. We all say boneheaded things and we all have areas of occasionally shocking ignorance, especially when we're young. But it's not. It's an overwhelming pattern with these people. Ignorance and stupidity is prized and celebrated, and it's used as a weapon by the powerful and rich who want control.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 4

31 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I know someone personally (who once mentioned that they hadn't read a book since eighth grade with some pride in their voice) who spelled "medieval" as "Mid-Evil."

I don't see Alyssa being a reader at all. Alyssa and mid-evil reminds me of poor Kristina who thought the term soaking wet was spelled soak and wet. At least Kristina finally realized she wasn't equipped to homeschool and put her kids in public school. I don't see Alyssa doing that. 

• Upvote 17

Mid-evil clearly refers to the period of time when evil Catholics ruled, but then the Roman legions led by Gothard came to America and freed the Disney princesses with their KJV Bibles.

It was mid way through this evil period this happen, hence the term mid-evil?

It's like nobody here went to the school of the dining room table!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 18
  • Love 1

We are midway through Donald Trump's first and hopefully only term as President, so... enough said.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I don't see Alyssa being a reader at all. Alyssa and mid-evil reminds me of poor Kristina who thought the term soaking wet was spelled soak and wet. At least Kristina finally realized she wasn't equipped to homeschool and put her kids in public school. I don't see Alyssa doing that. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be so hard on Alyssa if she weren't smug enough to be homeschooling. I also get a whiff of "It's cute for girls to be dumb!" from her, and it really grates on me.

Especially since she has three daughters... (which makes me wonder if she does have an idea of how uneducated she is, but doesn't think it matters in regards to teaching since it's most important that her daughters be pretty and appealing to men.)

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 3

Just now, nausicaa said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so hard on Alyssa if she weren't smug enough to be homeschooling. I also get a whiff of "It's cute for girls to be dumb!" from her, and it really grates on me.

I get that feeling with Alyssa too. She's like the Georgian and Victorian mothers who didn't want their daughters to be too smart, men are supposed to be smarter. It makes me sad for those three little girls and however, many more will be born to them.

• Upvote 18

• samurai_sarah locked this topic