IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 3: Kittens Having None of Their Shit

HerNameIsBuffy

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

This.  Thank you.  Speech impediments have nothing to do with intelligence nor are they moral failings.  They shouldn't be mocked, although I don't think anyone is doing that here.

I have rhotacism due to a malformed palate.  I had several years of speech therapy and all it did was slightly improve my ability to fake an "R" sound in my throat.  It still takes concentration and if I am tired I can't fake it.  People mimicking me or trying to correct my diction is asshole behavior.  And some people still try it.  At their peril.

I know it's no comparison and that you have had a lot to deal with, but I do sympathize with you. I have word issues from TBI due to a severe childhood concussion and it bugs me to no end when people think they have to say the word for me because I haven't quite got the one I want to say, or correct me if I say the wrong one!  If someone corrects you, let them have it!

1 hour ago, PumaLover said:

Re: speech impediments. My 7 year old nephew gets speech therapy in school and I still can't understand most of what he's saying. When he first started to talk, it was just gibberish and not actual words. His mother babies him and would just give him whatever he wanted, doing the baby talk right back to him. I'm not a degreed medical professional (my best friend the speech pathologist is!) but I'm pretty sure that didn't help him. His younger sister is in speech therapy too although I have always been able to understand her.

Is there such a thing as dyslexia for speech/sound? He reverses his sounds when he talks. Our dog's name is Sonora and he calls her Sorona, no matter how much we try to correct him. He also says lellow instead of yellow. But if I make him break the words down, he can say each part correctly. He just can't say the whole word correctly.

I bothers me when parents baby-talk back to their kids.  I don't mean making cute noises at babies, I mean when the kids are starting to talk and even after they have a good vocabulary.  Maybe that is just because of my own word issues.  We insisted that people not speak like that to our daughter, because I have word issues and Mr. Briefly has dyslexia - which does have some issues with words.  Mr. Briefly says "death" instead of "deaf", "critique" instead of "curtail" and a few other words.  His mom has a milder case of dyslexia but I've noticed the same thing with her.  I did some research when I was pregnant and that was one of the things associated with dyslexia.

The upshot of speaking correctly to the Briefly daughter may have had something to do with her early grasp of big words, her reading ability is natural but she was speaking much clearer than most kids her age and in kindergarten a boy in class told her that she used too many big words.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I use to sub where my mother worked. Back in 2002 their was a kid in the class I was in who I couldn’t understand what he was saying but the other kids did. I ended up having this kid that summer as well & I understood everything he said. I’m not sure if he had speech or if I just needed to get to use to him. 

You tend to get used to it. I’ve had to translate for my kids plenty of times. Their speech issues are in the normal range so they haven’t needed speech therapy. However there are some words people never seem to understand but because I hear them talk constantly, I know what they are saying. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You tend to get used to it. I’ve had to translate for my kids plenty of times. Their speech issues are in the normal range so they haven’t needed speech therapy. However there are some words people never seem to understand but because I hear them talk constantly, I know what they are saying. 

That was the story with this kid. The other kids were around him the entire school year.  I was only in the class a few times from March till June. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Luckily the Bontragers seem to produce employable adults

Since when?

I may have missed something but when have the Bonts produced an adult employable outside the family businesses?  Has this theory ever been tested?

Not that there is anything wrong with being employed by a family business - but are any of the Bontragers really employable outside them?

Allison's "HR "experience at the Dutch Inn would not go far in the real world.  Neither would Mitchel's "management" experience at the motel and his sideline self-employed manure shifting business.  Admirable as it may be.

As for Carson and Joshua - have they ever been employed outside Bont businesses at all?  And what do they really do to support their wives and children - outside the family farm and family band?

• Upvote 9

Allison is advertising her women's retreat for next year - with a guest speaker! Cassidy Bontrager, ya'll! Doesn't that make you want to run to sign up! Hearing from a sheltered young woman who will, by the time of the retreat, have not quite two years of marriage under her belt (although with one kid and probably by then another on the way). 

I wonder what her credentials are? What is her selling point? What does she have to offer as a guest speaker? 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

I recently learned from one of those "accent coach judges movie accents" YouTube videos that the North American English R is really hard to make and kids don't master it till about age 5. Interesting!

(I had to go to speech therapy at around 5 for a lisp. My recollection is that I really didn't think I had to imitate how others talked, I could just do my own thing! 30 years later, still lazy/unobservant/just wanna do my own thing.)

The F/Th displacement in the dyslexic husband is interesting as I often hear non-English speakers who can't master a Th use an F instead (or sometimes S).

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Allison is advertising her women's retreat for next year - with a guest speaker! Cassidy Bontrager, ya'll! Doesn't that make you want to run to sign up! Hearing from a sheltered young woman who will, by the time of the retreat, have not quite two years of marriage under her belt (although with one kid and probably by then another on the way). 

I wonder what her credentials are? What is her selling point? What does she have to offer as a guest speaker? 

The thing is - all the girls are attending are sheltered young woman so Cassidy is simply one of them with the huge difference that she indeed is married and has a baby. So in their world she really made her way and was blessed. I bet a lot of these young girls are desperate and scared to remain single and look up to girls that are married.

• Upvote 13

Re baby talk: my parents refused to baby talk with me and my sister, and my aunt and uncle did the same for my cousin. I think it was good of them, but an unfortunate side effect was that I freaked out my ballet teacher when I was four by informing her that I was "distraught" because I hated ballet class, and my cousin got in trouble in kindergarten for calling a classmate an "imbecile". The only other major communication issue my sister and I had was that our parents made up words for certain things that nobody else used in common parlance, so I had a few "Santa's not real" moments when I learned, for instance, that my friends and their families didn't refer to hair clips as "Zazu cages" (because those clips kinda looked like the animal ribcage Scar puts Zazu in towards the climax of The Lion King...no really, this was a thing). 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 6

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Re baby talk: my parents refused to baby talk with me and my sister, and my aunt and uncle did the same for my cousin. I think it was good of them, but an unfortunate side effect was that I freaked out my ballet teacher when I was four by informing her that I was "distraught" because I hated ballet class, and my cousin got in trouble in kindergarten for calling a classmate an "imbecile". The only other major communication issue my sister and I had was that our parents made up words for certain things that nobody else used in common parlance, so I had a few "Santa's not real" moments when I learned, for instance, that my friends and their families didn't refer to hair clips as "Zazu cages" (because those clips kinda looked like the animal ribcage Scar puts Zazu in towards the climax of The Lion King...no really, this was a thing). 

Yeah, we had a few made up words that kind of came back to haunt us!  It's funny now.

I think Zazu cage is funy.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I see both Allison and Carolina are both pushing YL Essential Oils. They live a few miles from each other, right? And don't all the other fundy gals sell essential oils too? Don't tell me the market isn't oversaturated already.

And perhaps things are different where they live in Iowa, but here in suburban living I can probably buy essential oils at at least 5 different places within 5 miles of me--including World Market, Wegman's and Whole Foods.  

Why would I go thru the extra hassle of ordering them thru a friend if I can just pick them up with my groceries?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I see both Allison and Carolina are both pushing YL Essential Oils. They live a few miles from each other, right? And don't all the other fundy gals sell essential oils too? Don't tell me the market isn't oversaturated already.

And perhaps things are different where they live in Iowa, but here in suburban living I can probably buy essential oils at at least 5 different places within 5 miles of me--including World Market, Wegman's and Whole Foods.  

Why would I go thru the extra hassle of ordering them thru a friend if I can just pick them up with my groceries?

I know. I imagine they will eventually give up. Unless Allison has a lot of fundie leg humpers that will buy from her just to suck up. Allison works an actual job for money. She will eventually figure out that she’s not making that much money through EOs and give it up. When you have a steady paycheck to compare to, you realize how much of a time waster it is for little money. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

I just noticed this week that the Bontrager's motel has a spiffy website: https://www.dutchcountryinnkalona.com/index.html

Much fancier than before.  And I see that the rooms come with Biblical exhortations on the walls, drawn by one of the the Bowers or Bontrager gals.

I don't want my art telling me what to do-- and certain not in a hotel room!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

They can't be too far from a Hy-Vee, and nowadays even their smaller stores usually have a fairly substantial "natural" section with Whole Foods-type merchandise. Plus, in Amish country I feel like there have to be little shops selling that sort of thing alongside candles and jellies and whatnot. I don't get it either, surely the MLM oils have a pretty big markup over grocery store items.

• Upvote 11

On 12/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, Palimpsest said:

This.  Thank you.  Speech impediments have nothing to do with intelligence nor are they moral failings.  They shouldn't be mocked, although I don't think anyone is doing that here.

I have rhotacism due to a malformed palate.  I had several years of speech therapy and all it did was slightly improve my ability to fake an "R" sound in my throat.  It still takes concentration and if I am tired I can't fake it.  People mimicking me or trying to correct my diction is asshole behavior.  And some people still try it.  At their peril.

Your mention of rhotacism reminds me that several renowned actors and actresses had rhotacism:

Claude Rains  -not only did he have rhotacism, he stuttered as a child too.  

Marlen Dietrich

Kay Francis

Terry Jones of Monty Python

Rains taught at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Two of his students were John Gielgud and Charles Laughton.   This is what Sir John said about Rains as a drama teacher and as an actor:

I learnt a great deal about acting from this gentleman. Claude Rains was one of my teachers at RADA. In fact he was one of the best and most popular teachers there. He was extremely attractive and needless to say, all the girls in my class were hopelessly in love with him. He had piercing dark eyes and a beautifully throaty voice, although he had, like Marlene Dietrich, some trouble with the letter 'R'. He lacked inches and wore lifts to his shoes to increase his height. Stocky but handsome, Rains had broad shoulders and a mop of thick brown hair which he brushed over one eye. But by the time I first met him in the 1920s he was already much in demand as a character actor in London. I found him enormously helpful and encouraging to work with. I was always trying to copy him in my first years as an actor, until I decided to imitate Noël Coward instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

telling me what to do-- and certain not in a hotel room!

some people like being told what to do...don't be judgy!  :pb_lol:

• Haha 6

On 12/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, HereticHick said:

I just noticed this week that the Bontrager's motel has a spiffy website: https://www.dutchcountryinnkalona.com/index.html

Much fancier than before.  And I see that the rooms come with Biblical exhortations on the walls, drawn by one of the the Bowers or Bontrager gals.

I don't want my art telling me what to do-- and certain not in a hotel room!

They really have spiffed up and be-Jesused that website.  A heathen like me wouldn't even book there now.  If they are the only place in town I would drive 14 miles to Washington.

Their reviews on Tripadvisor are better than they were for the previous owners.  Although people are still complaining it needs renovating.  Perhaps they mean the Bible quotes look old-fashioned as well as the motel having wonky locks on the doors.

And the cinnamon rolls are simply smothered in gross looking icing,  Those wouldn't tempt me.

• Upvote 6

Concerning speech therapy and other services in public schools, all children, regardless of where they are schooled, (private, religious, home school) are eligible for all services.   In Michigan where I live, you go to the local Intermediate School District, and ask for an evaluation, and once the IEP  individual educational placement tests are done, if the child is eligible, they can come to a public school and get the services they need.   The parents have to get them to the services privately.    All kids in a given school district are also eligible to play on sports teams.   

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

On 12/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, HereticHick said:

I don't get it at all. And IIRC both, Cassidy and Carolina, are into Young Living now. Add Allison and I can't see how they are ever going to make money with this since they live in the same town and also seem to know the same people. Both families, Bowers and Bontragers, are somewhat famous in some fundie circles, but still I can't see how they'll find costumers with all the SAHD and SAHW that are already out there selling that stuff.

A general question concerning this MLM companies: I've been following a blogger for some years now and in 2016 she started selling Plexus. Today she is claiming that she makes a five figure income each month and her husband is now also able to stay home. Is this really possible? I just can't wrap my head around it. Maybe some of you know her: http://cleanhousewithkids.blogspot.com (she hasn't updated her blog since 2016, but is VERY active on IG: https://www.instagram.com/cleanhousewithkids/)

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, ophelia said:

I don't get it at all. And IIRC both, Cassidy and Carolina, are into Young Living now. Add Allison and I can't see how they are ever going to make money with this since they live in the same town and also seem to know the same people. Both families, Bowers and Bontragers, are somewhat famous in some fundie circles, but still I can't see how they'll find costumers with all the SAHD and SAHW that are already out there selling that stuff.

A general question concerning this MLM companies: I've been following a blogger for some years now and in 2016 she started selling Plexus. Today she is claiming that she makes a five figure income each month and her husband is now also able to stay home. Is this really possible? I just can't wrap my head around it. Maybe some of you know her: http://cleanhousewithkids.blogspot.com (she hasn't updated her blog since 2016, but is VERY active on IG: https://www.instagram.com/cleanhousewithkids/)

From what I’ve read on MLMs, a few people do make money at it. But the vast majority don’t. And many lose money on it. It’s possible she makes money selling plexus. But she’s one of the very few. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Gross. Another fundy family look-at-mom-and-dad- kissing pic. I guess John Maxwell took the pic since Chelsy is in the picture.

• WTF 1

19 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Gross. Another fundy family look-at-mom-and-dad- kissing pic. I guess John Maxwell took the pic since Chelsy is in the picture.

No that’s an old picture. It was taken long before the four Bons got married. I think maybe 2016?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Fundies are the most sexually obsessed group of people. Whether they're denying their offspring an education regarding their bodies and natural desires and behaviors or showing their sexual prowess & reproduction for all the world to see. It's all about sex for these people. And they call "the world" bad sexual beings. 

Much like PP and other ragers against homosexuality; the louder they shout about others, rules, rights, wrongs, blah, blah, blah the more they are obsessed in their own right. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

I just saw that Carolina and Cassidy both had IG stories about Young Living. I just don't get it - they are both (and Allison as well) selling YL products now. Aren't they competition to each other? They live in the same town, attend the same church - they probably more or less run in identical social circles. I just can't wrap my head around it. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

I just saw that Carolina and Cassidy both had IG stories about Young Living. I just don't get it - they are both (and Allison as well) selling YL products now. Aren't they competition to each other? They live in the same town, attend the same church - they probably more or less run in identical social circles. I just can't wrap my head around it. 

They could be doing Young Living sales just for the discounts they get on YL products, not for sales to other people.  That's why my daughter does it.   She, unfortunately, is a more than a bit into woo.  I just hope she never discovers Lori Alexander.  

Edited by PennySycamore
added a needed word
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic