IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

30 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

My spouse is Asian. (He also looks younger than me which doesnt help.) AMWF isn't super common where I live tho.

At the airport, customs people always assume we're traveling separately.  At restaurants, they always ask if we want separate cheques.  At work, security once asked if Spouse was my student.  At the bank, he referred to "my wife" (I was like 2 metres away) and the clerk called over some poor random Asian gal across the room.  

People have ingrained expectations.  That said, I've never had a bad reaction once people know my spouse is Asian.  Canada's cities are very Chinese and there's a lot of AFWM couples so I don't think anyone cares much.

Like you, I can’t say we have ever been treated poorly once they knew we were together. Just lots of assumptions that we are not a couple. Cashiers ringing one of us up separately, split checks, asking if one of us has been helped while the other is talking to another sales person. 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Did you see the recipe for onion dip?  Who on earth posts that as if it is a difficult or unique idea? 

If recipes have to be difficult or unique to post I need to stop.

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If recipes have to be difficult or unique to post I need to stop.

Na,  I was just ragging on Jill for posting the onion dip as if she thought of this brand new idea.

I actually really like onion dip, and now I want to make some. But I know me, I'll end up eating the entire dish. ☹️

I’m guessing she probably didn’t have anything else to post but knew enough to keep up her “presence”, so she put the onion dip recipe up. 

Oldest has a Musicly/Tik Tok account with about 20,000 followers and if she doesn't post a new video at least every couple of days people start to question if she's ok or if she got banned. Which sometimes leads her to posting what *she* feels isn't her best work but she does it anyway. So I kinda get having to maintain a "presence". 

5 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I find it hard to have a conversation when sitting side by side so that’s why I always pass on bar seating. But with these two, maybe they just sit there in silence imagining a different life.

I usually sit across from my husband if it's just the two of us, but if we were someplace loud, I think sitting side by side would make it easier to hear each other. Especially if he was sitting next to my ear with better hearing. (I really should have worn ear plugs to all those rock concerts. My left ear has very poor hearing. :my_sad: )

9 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

That looks like cream of cat hurl.  For crying out loud Jill, not everything needs to come from a can!

the only thing i use from can is coconut milk for my curry dishes. 

clearly her liver won't be thanking her in 20 years. 

12 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Next she will channel Teri and make a note about removing the wax paper from  the cheese slices

LOL Teri actually ate the paper.  

Jill's "New Recipe!" looks an awful lot like about 3 of her other recipes. Did someone give her an unlimited supply of chicken, tortillas, sour cream and canned cream soups?

That recipe is from the back of the dried soup mix package.

I've got a better onion dip recipe.

Thinly slice two red onions.

Melt a dab of butter in some olive oil in a saute pan.  Caramelize the onions.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Let cool.  Mix with sour cream.

Now THAT"S onion dip.  (The stuff you make with dried onion soup is crap in my opinion.)  It's even better if you let it sit overnight so the flavors blend.  I'm gonna make it for thanksgiving.

Someday, I'll tell y'all how to make bacon jam.:)  Or just google it.  One of my favorite dishes is shrimp and grits with bacon jam.

PS.  Yesterday we had our new range delivered.  First thing I made in it was cherry walnut bread.  Very yummy.  Today I'm baking corn muffins and two loaves of bread (one will be turned into dressing) to get ahead on Thanksgiving cooking.  Will freeze them and warm 'em up on Thursday for dinner.

Also have a pot roast going. 

I’m a white female and my partner is black.  I had to explain to my mom that it was not ok to take pictures of babies/toddlers she assumed were mixed and send them to me or to tell people how she couldn’t wait to have little mixed grandbabies even if they wouldn’t look like her. 

At least I don’t have to worry about what she’d say to potential kids because we don’t intend to have any.

5 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Do you think they sat side by side because they were eating with another couple? Perhaps a new courting couple? 

No, she said in the comments they always sit like that and ask to change tables if they are seated at one where it’s not possible. 

@Swamptribe,  I  love how you're cooking up a storm with your new range!  I intend to do the same once we finally get the kitchen reno'd at the start of 2019.  I'm putting in double ovens and a gas cooktop/rangetop.  The kitchen reno should have been done this year, if not before.  We're doing Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's this year, partly due to my crappy kitchen, but mostly due to my husband's dog who barks too much.  She scares one of the granddaughters.

20 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

No, she said in the comments they always sit like that and ask to change tables if they are seated at one where it’s not possible. 

I hope they don't do that at busy restaurants and make the place lose two covers by taking up a four person table.

1 hour ago, Swamptribe said:

That recipe is from the back of the dried soup mix package.

I've got a better onion dip recipe.

Thinly slice two red onions.

Melt a dab of butter in some olive oil in a saute pan.  Caramelize the onions.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Let cool.  Mix with sour cream.

Now THAT"S onion dip.  (The stuff you make with dried onion soup is crap in my opinion.)  It's even better if you let it sit overnight so the flavors blend.  I'm gonna make it for thanksgiving.

Someday, I'll tell y'all how to make bacon jam.:)  Or just google it.  One of my favorite dishes is shrimp and grits with bacon jam.

PS.  Yesterday we had our new range delivered.  First thing I made in it was cherry walnut bread.  Very yummy.  Today I'm baking corn muffins and two loaves of bread (one will be turned into dressing) to get ahead on Thanksgiving cooking.  Will freeze them and warm 'em up on Thursday for dinner.

Also have a pot roast going. 

Your onion sounds divine. 

1 hour ago, Swamptribe said:

First thing I made in it was cherry walnut bread. 

Recipe please! (I don't cook, but I might dust off my oven for that - no I'm not exaggerating?? )

Tip for new stove people.  If one morning your new stove is dead don’t panic.  Because they now have computer chips turn off the stove AT THE BREAKER, this reboots the computer.  Save money on service call.  (I can hear my grade 3 teacher saying never start sentences with the words because or but!). Oh well.

If we're talking cooking as a thread drift, I went to a wargaming potluck today and my contributions were Hokkaido milk rolls (basically a brioche or challah-esque dough with a roux made from milk and flour that adds extra moisture and makes the bread SUPER fluffy) and a Japanese apple cake where you basically cook very thinly sliced apples in a crepe batter, and top with streusel. I figured that since the game today was World War II themed, it was fitting to bake very European (in terms of flavor and presentation) pastries that are made with techniques that were popularized in Japan. 

Also I need to bake bread more often because my kitchen smelled AMAZING last night while the bread was proofing/baking. 

46 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

(I can hear my grade 3 teacher saying never start sentences with the words because or but!). Oh well.

That is something you can throw out the window when you graduate from grade three. Because rules like that can be broken for stylistic purposes. ;) 

18 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

My spouse is Asian. (He also looks younger than me which doesnt help.) AMWF isn't super common where I live tho.

I don't think it's common anywhere. I'm also a AMWF couple and me and my college roommate lost our shit when it turned out we both had Asian boyfriends. Aside from that, I've never met anyone else. 

People tended to emasculate Asian men so much that I think it surprises them to see Asain men with non-Asian women, like no woman would ever find an Asian man attractive if she wasn't Asian herself. :roll:

18 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

My sister is white and her husband Asian. They were once traveling through the middle of Pennsylvania and stopped at a little diner. While my sister went to the bathroom, my brother-in-law sat in the booth with my niece who was under a year old. A woman walked up to him  and said "Oh, a little Oriental baby, I want one of those". Creepy.

Everyone always tells me how excited they are because my babies are going to be so cute. They usually mean well, and I joke about it, but sometimes it does strike me as creepy. Almost like people are fetishizing a baby. 

Truthfully, I'm kind of worried about how people will treat my kids. If they're girls, than they'll get fetishized as super sexy submissive sex dolls, and if they're boys they'll be treated like they are emasculate and "weak." It's fucked up either way. People really don't acknowledge how racist America is against Asian people. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived