IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

32 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

For me, in this instance it's just a bit weird to make fun of Jill for using cottage cheese instead of ricotta when it's not as if ricotta is the "proper" ingredient either, if it makes sense. I mean, if an American take on Italian food is an entirely different cuisine, which is fair to argue, then she's free to sub and modify as well...

I didn’t weigh into the discussion related to Jill, but I agree with you. I don’t really see anything wrong with subbing out ingredients if someone wants or needs to. I wouldn’t use cottage cheese myself because I don’t like it, but I don’t see anything necessarily wrong with choosing to do that either. 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Alachantal said:

Dammit you guys now I'm hungry! I just signed for buying my new place, maybe lasagna will be the first thing I cook in my new kitchen thanks to this thread haha. Well, first meal for when people come over, a whole pan of lasagne would be a waste on me and the cats haha.

When my ex and I were in Rome last spring we had the best pastas ever. But we didn't like the pizza. Could've just been the one particular shop we got it from, however. Or just because it's not what we were used to. I hope one day I get to go back and make better memories, and try everything (including the pizza!) all over again.

i think in all the places we visited in italy the last four years - lake como had the best pizza....and congrats about buying your new place! 

I wouldn't know "authentic" German or Cuban food if it bit me in the ass. The mother rarely cooked anyway so it's not like I learned anything from her about Cuban food and my take on German food is from my paternal Grandmother who was probably "una poquita tostada" when she cooked so who the hell knows if what she was cooking was "authentic". 

true story about my grandmother...they lived in a Philly row home, you know, where the living room, dining room and kitchen were lined up front to back. On the wall that divided the dining room from the kitchen is where her china cabinet was. The lower left-hand cabinet is where she stored her booze. On holidays, she'd have a "drinkie" in the living room and one in the kitchen. She'd stop in between to pull the bottle of scotch out of the cabinet and take a nice, long pull right out of the bottle. I shit you not. She'd be utterly wasted by dinner and hysterically funny. Rude, crude, profane and funny as hell. After dinner she'd take her teeth out and then forget where she left them. 

Now you know where I get the rude, crude and profane part of my personality. 

I made a lasagna using creme fraiche instead of ricotta, and it was the first time I used that ingredient. The recipe was pretty good! Creme fraiche was harder to find and more expensive where I live, but it was fun to try something new. 

In high school, I was eating dinner at my boyfriend's house and his mom made lasagna. It had vegetables in it - And not like tomatos. I'm talking about big chunks of carrot and broccoli! Yuck yuck yuck! :puke-front:

They are British so maybe that is normal in England but my mid-western sensibilities were appalled.

33 minutes ago, The limit does not exist said:

In high school, I was eating dinner at my boyfriend's house and his mom made lasagna. It had vegetables in it - And not like tomatos. I'm talking about big chunks of carrot and broccoli! Yuck yuck yuck! :puke-front:

They are British so maybe that is normal in England but my mid-western sensibilities were appalled.

I'm down for extra veggies in a lasagne (because then that makes it healthy, RIGHT?), but they have to be the right texture. Big chunks of crunch would not be pleasant in a lasagne. 

I'm a pretty big lasagne purist for what it's worth (bechamel and ragu all the way), but I will say that when I went on a hiking trip to the Scottish Highlands I had haggis lasagne and that was amazing. Even my Italian friend who drunkenly rants about bad pizza thought it was good. 

50 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm down for extra veggies in a lasagne (because then that makes it healthy, RIGHT?), but they have to be the right texture. Big chunks of crunch would not be pleasant in a lasagne. 

I'm a pretty big lasagne purist for what it's worth (bechamel and ragu all the way), but I will say that when I went on a hiking trip to the Scottish Highlands I had haggis lasagne and that was amazing. Even my Italian friend who drunkenly rants about bad pizza thought it was good. 

It's not a British thing.  It's just a bad cook thing.  Brits have really become European food snobs over the past few decades.  London's food scene - for most Euro cuisines - is sooo good.

Their Asian food is shit, though.   Personal pet peeve, after spending three or four times the Canadian price to buy poorly made  Cantonese, Sichuan, Taiwanese and supposedly Japanese food 'round London Town.  (/END RANT)

44 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Their Asian food is shit, though.   Personal pet peeve, after spending three or four times the Canadian price to buy poorly made  Cantonese, Sichuan, Taiwanese and supposedly Japanese food 'round London Town.  (/END RANT)

Thai and Burmese have gotten really good, IME. I have found some good Sichuan places via my Chinese friends in my grad school program, but you really have to know where to look and it takes some trial and error. I am, however, perplexed as to how the UK could literally own Hong Kong for nearly 100 years and not have decent OG dim sum. When I go home to the States in a few weeks, a trip to Flushing to stuff my face with dim sum until I have to be extricated from the restaurant on a forklift will be in order. As for sushi, there are two really awesome places that I like, but they are expensive af. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Thai and Burmese have gotten really good, IME. I have found some good Sichuan places via my Chinese friends in my grad school program, but you really have to know where to look and it takes some trial and error. I am, however, perplexed as to how the UK could literally own Hong Kong for nearly 100 years and not have decent OG dim sum. When I go home to the States in a few weeks, a trip to Flushing to stuff my face with dim sum until I have to be extricated from the restaurant on a forklift will be in order. As for sushi, there are two really awesome places that I like, but they are expensive af. 

because we were imperialist shits with no interest in other cultures, is why. I would hazard that our receptiveness to Indian foods is because a) we were in touch with India for way longer; b) we initially approached with some approximation of respect for their culture, from a trade perspective, thinking that if we made nice with locals who had expertise they'd show us where the good stuff was; c) India was receptive, whereas China was historically not that interested in trading with Europe, and definitely not in letting Europeans into the country to wander about. By the time we stepped up our presence in China we were in the Victorian 'CRUSH! ASSIMILATE!' stage of empire-building. There was an active policy of dismantling and destabilising non-western civilisations; stopping to enjoy their cuisine was not part of the the plan really.

We have big immigrant/second gen communities from both east Asia and the Indian subcontinent, and both started out serving non-authentic takeaway type food for western palates. Indian food has grown beyond that; I think Chinese food will but it's yet to quite get the same foothold for whatever reason.

You can find good Chinese in London but you have to hunt for it and it usually isn't central - there are a very few good ones in Chinatown, particularly Jen Cafe for cheap, no-fuss, no-niceties dumplings and noodles. And Dumplings Legend is exactly that. So good.

Silk Road in Camberwell serves glorious Sichuan. Happy Dumplings in Brixton. There's string of fantastic Vietnamese restaurants on Kingsland Road in Hoxton, plus Green Papaya on Mare Street. Excellent Korean restaurants out in New Malden, and a good one in Elephant and Castle. You've just gotta travel for it. I can imagine something like a Xi'an Famous Foods phenomenon unfolding across London in the next decade or so, all else being equal.

Food in Australia has greatly improved since the 1960's with immigration and the variety of food that has brought.  Before that it was the fairly bland English fare of meat and 3 veg (I personally think that English fare does dessert quite well but not so much main meals).  Here the experience has been that the first generation tend to cook their non country of origin food (e.g. people of Greek origin tended to run the fish and chip shops) and then the second generation may choose to start restaurants with their parents native foods.

because my parents are European (swiss and german) even though they have been in canada for what 52 years. 

Guess what I get for dinner tonight when i go over there....

Raclette - with tiny potatoes and gerkins...almost as good as steak tar tar...

normally it's normal food, like kale salad :D

On 11/21/2018 at 4:29 AM, CarrotCake said:

I go to Italy almost every summer and I have never seen anything else then lasagna with bechamel.

I made it with ricotta myself once because I wanted to try something different. I actually liked it but it did not feel like lasagna, just some other nice dish. 

Do you have a recipe available for mozzarella too? I would love to try it once.

Sure! It's a little more complicated than the ricotta but so delicious! And may require a specialty shop or online order for the rennet/citric acid. Also, if anyone is vegetarian, rennet is sold in either animal form or vegetable form so look out for that!

http://heart-hands-home.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-mozzarella-cheese.html

(Idk whose blog this is, but this is the recipe I use which also includes step by step pictures that came in handy the first time I tried so I could "see" if my attempt was looking right or not. No I am not a Proverbs 31 woman :pb_rollseyes: lol)

One of the absolute perqs to living in Toronto is the delicious variety of ethnic cuisines we can get here.  I swear there is a restaurant for any cuisine on earth somewhere in the city.

When I was younger, my step father worked for a company owned by Italians and they had an wonderful Christmas party every year with the usual amazing Italian food.  That's where I learned lasagna was usually made with bechamel and I became a little obsessed with learning how to make it that way. It's now my preferred way - red sauce, white sauce and the cheeses.  I'm a lasagna purist.  :)

On 11/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, BlackberryGirl said:

We used to have a desert thing, called frog eyes. Pistaschio pudding, cooked acini de pepe (pasta) and cool whip all combined. I actually liked it.  Also “dump cake” which involved cake mix, canned cherry pie filling and other stuff, BlackberryBoy says it looked like someone took a dump in a big cake pan, hence the name.  

A lady at my church made that, and it was actually pretty good, after I got over the texture of little pasta balls, lol... Hers had marshmallows and some fruit too... maybe pineapple? It was a few years ago, I can't remember, lol... She said it was an Amish recipe

5 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

One of the absolute perqs to living in Toronto is the delicious variety of ethnic cuisines we can get here.  I swear there is a restaurant for any cuisine on earth somewhere in the city.

When I was younger, my step father worked for a company owned by Italians and they had an wonderful Christmas party every year with the usual amazing Italian food.  That's where I learned lasagna was usually made with bechamel and I became a little obsessed with learning how to make it that way. It's now my preferred way - red sauce, white sauce and the cheeses.  I'm a lasagna purist.  :)

Vegas has an amazing food thing happening. Food from all over the world. Any kind of ethnic food you want. We have a list on the Grubhub app that keeps us fat and happy at least once a week. There's a ton of mom and pop type places all over. Chinatown, Koreatown and Indiatown are AMAZING! 

I swear this place is beyond weird. Last year a bull escaped and some cowboy on a horse was riding down one of the major roads to lasso this bull and bring it back. From the street he was on you could see the strip. 

Maybe that's why I love living here...my weirdness doesn't stand out in a city full of weird. 

17 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I didn’t weigh into the discussion related to Jill, but I agree with you. I don’t really see anything wrong with subbing out ingredients if someone wants or needs to. I wouldn’t use cottage cheese myself because I don’t like it, but I don’t see anything necessarily wrong with choosing to do that either. 

It's because it's Jill. If Jessa had done it, no one would have cared, and if Abbie had done it... OMG BEST NEW INVENTION EVER! 

I'm mostly joking.

13 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Silk Road in Camberwell serves glorious Sichuan. Happy Dumplings in Brixton. There's string of fantastic Vietnamese restaurants on Kingsland Road in Hoxton, plus Green Papaya on Mare Street. Excellent Korean restaurants out in New Malden, and a good one in Elephant and Castle. You've just gotta travel for it. I can imagine something like a Xi'an Famous Foods phenomenon unfolding across London in the next decade or so, all else being equal.

A bunch of amazing Korean places have popped up around Holborn recently; I'm fairly certain that it's due to the influx of East Asian students at the universities around there. Apparently there's a good Tibetan momo place in Woolwich, but that's a SCHLEP. Shan State in Chinatown is fantastic Burmese; I had their fish noodle soup last time I went and the spice profile made me so nostalgic for where I used to teach in China (super close to the border with Burma). Of course it was WAY more expensive (pls send me all of the $1 USD bowls of spicy rice noodles immediately), but the broth tasted exactly like those noodles I used to snarf down on the daily. 

Dh and I found a really REALLY good Chinese food place in Notting Hill. We were both amazed at how good it was (recommended to him by a friend from Hong Kong). Went back 6 months later... it was gone. :(

21 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I wouldn't know "authentic" German or Cuban food if it bit me in the ass. The mother rarely cooked anyway so it's not like I learned anything from her about Cuban food and my take on German food is from my paternal Grandmother who was probably "una poquita tostada" when she cooked so who the hell knows if what she was cooking was "authentic". 

true story about my grandmother...they lived in a Philly row home, you know, where the living room, dining room and kitchen were lined up front to back. On the wall that divided the dining room from the kitchen is where her china cabinet was. The lower left-hand cabinet is where she stored her booze. On holidays, she'd have a "drinkie" in the living room and one in the kitchen. She'd stop in between to pull the bottle of scotch out of the cabinet and take a nice, long pull right out of the bottle. I shit you not. She'd be utterly wasted by dinner and hysterically funny. Rude, crude, profane and funny as hell. After dinner she'd take her teeth out and then forget where she left them. 

Now you know where I get the rude, crude and profane part of my personality. 

You should really consider writing a book. I thoroughly enjoy all of the stories you tell about life and remember them well. The good and the bad. You write in a way that makes everyone feel like they can relate and have a heartwarming, spitfire tongue yet in ridiculously funny way that’s just a treasure full of wisdom.

3 hours ago, RidiculousFundies said:

You guys, pray for me. I only just got the joke of this thread title ?

I just realized yesterday. Some of us are not so bright.

11 hours ago, nst said:

because my parents are European (swiss and german) even though they have been in canada for what 52 years. 

Guess what I get for dinner tonight when i go over there....

Raclette - with tiny potatoes and gerkins...almost as good as steak tar tar...

normally it's normal food, like kale salad :D

We do the raclette every New Year's Eve ❤️

My mom bought me my own set a few years ago, and the American side get a kick out of it ;)

They were watching Macy's Thanksgiving Parade with the boys for the Paw Patrol float. Israel looked so happy to see Chase and was wearing a PP t-shirt too. That's great! It means he's seen the show and/or read the books. Completely age appropriate, cute, with positive messaging, etc. Much better than reading the Bible with his father or memorizing Psalms like his cousin Spurgeon.

15 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Silk Road in Camberwell serves glorious Sichuan.

I used to live close by Silk Road. Miss it so much! And Roti Joupa for Trini food in Clapham. It's not great but there aren't many places you can get doubles in London. Most of the West Indian restaurants seem to lean more towards Jamaican food. 

For anyone thinking of visiting Silk Road just be aware it's cash only and really popular. No delivery but you can order and wait to takeaway.

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

You should really consider writing a book. I thoroughly enjoy all of the stories you tell about life and remember them well. The good and the bad. You write in a way that make everyone feel like they can relate and have a heartwarming, spitfire tongue yet ridiculously funny way that’s just a treasure full of wisdom.

Thank you...I've been told by many I should write a book...couple issues with that. First, I lack the discipline it would take to that and when I write I read it and it sounds completely idiotic to me. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived