Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HerNameIsBuffy

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

Recommended Posts

Satan'sFortress
On 11/18/2018 at 5:24 PM, Swamptribe said:

Oddly enough, after posting this morning, our refrigerator died.  (it was older than our range)  Luckily we have an emergency back up one in the garage.  Ordered new fridge online off all things.  My kitchen is now about 1/3 remodeled.  Just have the cabinets and floors to go.:)  We'd been talking about getting estimates on new cabinetry (the floor I can do myself).

Twice, I've had an oven stop working right before Thanksgiving.  I think the appliances know somehow and plot to break right before the biggest food day of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dizzy
ViolaSebastian

I had a boyfriend (for people getting curious about my 'bad boyfriend' stories, I had two absolutely heinously terrible boyfriends after my divorce, so most of my stories are, very unfortunately, different stories about the same two wastes of space) who didn't ask if I minded if he sat next to me in the booth and just did up and did it one day at the Denny's.* Terribly, terribly embarrassing to be part of "that couple" without wanting to be. Also, I'm left-handed and he sat on my left side, of course. 

*Obligatory you do you, but I was not into it. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iamtheway
37 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Sure, if the whole world is her immediate family.

Not even then. If I had to marry one of the Duggar husbands I’d ... probably cry and ask if I could just buy cats and become a crazy catlady instead even though I am actually really allergic. 😺😺😺

But if I was on Duggar Bachelorette (show idea for you tlc!) Derick would be the second one out only beaten by Josh in the suckiest husband competition. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
Dandruff
28 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Not even then. If I had to marry one of the Duggar husbands I’d ... probably cry and ask if I could just buy cats and become a crazy catlady instead even though I am actually really allergic. 😺😺😺

By immediate family, I was referring to Derick, Jill, and their two kids.  Can't lose if there's no competition...

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JingerSnaps
4 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Ok, to continue the Asian people thread drift, tell me you all have seen Asian Bachelorette... designed to mock the fact that Bachelorette has had like two Asian guys on it.

Oh my goodness. The shoes by the door 😂🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkAnts

Jill needs to cite her recipe sources. The onion spread recipe literally can from the box of onion soup mix. The crockpot lasagna is not a new thing either. We made that when I was a kid in the 90’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nervous
HerNameIsBuffy
13 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Jill needs to cite her recipe sources. The onion spread recipe literally can from the box of onion soup mix. The crockpot lasagna is not a new thing either. We made that when I was a kid in the 90’s. 

She does say on her blog they aren't all original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rachel333

I believe the issue of couples sitting next to each other vs on opposite sides can be cultural. Apparently it's the norm for Brazilian couples to sit side by side, for example.

(I, uh, learned that by watching 90 Day Fiance.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sleepy_doggos
I believe the issue of couples sitting next to each other vs on opposite sides can be cultural. Apparently it's the norm for Brazilian couples to sit side by side, for example.
(I, uh, learned that by watching 90 Day Fiance.)
Omg I love 90 day fiance. I am all over that subreddit. Can we have a personal thread drift and discuss this season, because it is NUTS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rachel333
18 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:
32 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:
I believe the issue of couples sitting next to each other vs on opposite sides can be cultural. Apparently it's the norm for Brazilian couples to sit side by side, for example.
(I, uh, learned that by watching 90 Day Fiance.)

Omg I love 90 day fiance. I am all over that subreddit. Can we have a personal thread drift and discuss this season, because it is NUTS.

The drama outside the show has been INSANE. I hadn't watched it since the early seasons but decided last week to get caught up on the newest season and then all the drama just blew up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MsSaylor

Guys go to the 90 day fiance thread in reality tv! Im up in there occasionally! Totally not caught up right now though would love to hear about drama! They had too many seasons too close together and the episodes were too long. I ran out of time. @Rachel333 @sleepy_doggos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sleepy_doggos
Guys go to the 90 day fiance thread in reality tv! Im up in there occasionally! Totally not caught up right now though would love to hear about drama! They had too many seasons too close together and the episodes were too long. I ran out of time. [mention=11555]Rachel333[/mention] [mention=25389]sleepy_doggos[/mention] 
Sounds good! It's pretty dry up there usually but I'll check it out :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coffeebean7

Crock pot lasagna with mushrooms and cottage cheese? 🤢 Those shouldn’t be options. I’m the worst cook and can at least recognize that much.

I'm also not understanding the point of multiple videos documenting her movie night. She seems lonely. 

Her boys are nearly the exact same ages of mine (each within days ) but are already more polite 😀 Clearly I am doing something wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
14 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Sure, if the whole world is her immediate family.

She's a Duggar, so that goes without saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TZmom
6 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

Her boys are nearly the exact same ages of mine (each within days ) but are already more polite 😀 Clearly I am doing something wrong...

Obviously you don't have enough cultish religion in your life :) ...and neither do. My kids are way too mouthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glasgowghirl

I have no issue with couples choosing to sit next to eachother if they wish but actually asking to be moved if they are offered seats across from eachother is a bit much. Jill can't leave Derick for five minutes, when he worked at Walmart she had to have lunch with him daily, she has went to a lot of his lectures. She can go to her parent's or one of her siblings houses if she is a bit lonely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants

Sit where you want, but in this house it's either directly across, so we can see and hear one another, or more often than not, at 90.o angles. And in a restaurant we prefer a booth to a table. 

32 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I have no issue with couples choosing to sit next to eachother if they wish but actually asking to be moved if they are offered seats across from eachother is a bit much. Jill can't leave Derick for five minutes, when he worked at Walmart she had to have lunch with him daily, she has went to a lot of his lectures. She can go to her parent's or one of her siblings houses if she is a bit lonely.

I would hope that they ask BEFORE they are actually seated. But these folks have zero common sense or manners, so...

Edited by SassyPants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glasgowghirl
10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I would hope that they ask BEFORE they are actually seated. But these folks have zero common sense or manners, so...

As someone who works in fast food, I agree with you. The Taco Bell I work in is not that big and a lot of customers move tables and chairs and then leave without moving them back or worse don't even put their rubbish in the bin. I now say to people if they ask to move the tables that they can move them in the condition that they put them back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nst
17 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Sit where you want, but in this house it's either directly across, so we can see and hear one another, or more often than not, at 90.o angles. And in a restaurant we prefer a booth to a table. 

I would hope that they ask BEFORE they are actually seated. But these folks have zero common sense or manners, so...

my dad when we go out to dinner will move tables at least 4 times to get where he wants to sit....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shadoewolf

Cottage cheese instead of ricotta?? Eww!! My foodie side just gagged. But I like mushrooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tired
Audrey2
6 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Cottage cheese instead of ricotta?? Eww!! My foodie side just gagged. But I like mushrooms.

My lasagna recipe uses both, as well as provolone, mozzarella, and Parmesan. My mom always use cottage cheese as well because it's less expensive. If you watch for it, it'll go on sale around $1.25 or $1.50, and ricotta runs close to $3 for a 15 ounce container. For all that we snark on them going out to eat all the time, I'm actually okay with them saving money by using cottage cheese instead of ricotta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
1 minute ago, Audrey2 said:

My lasagna recipe uses both, as well as provolone, mozzarella, and Parmesan. My mom always use cottage cheese as well because it's less expensive. If you watch for it, it'll go on sale around $1.25 or $1.50, and ricotta runs close to $3 for a 15 ounce container. For all that we snark on them going out to eat all the time, I'm actually okay with them saving money by using cottage cheese instead of ricotta.

I always use cottage cheese, not a big fan of ricotta...I also use a béchamel sauce and find it actually makes a lasagna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nervous
HerNameIsBuffy
17 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

My lasagna recipe uses both, as well as provolone, mozzarella, and Parmesan. My mom always use cottage cheese as well because it's less expensive. If you watch for it, it'll go on sale around $1.25 or $1.50, and ricotta runs close to $3 for a 15 ounce container. For all that we snark on them going out to eat all the time, I'm actually okay with them saving money by using cottage cheese instead of ricotta.

:::small voice::: I make it with ricotta because my family likes it, but I prefer lasagna with cottage cheese.

In my defense I am not of Italian descent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tired
Audrey2
35 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

:::small voice::: I make it with ricotta because my family likes it, but I prefer lasagna with cottage cheese.

In my defense I am not of Italian descent.

I will also admit, besides the cost, my mom is not a fan of ricotta cheese. That played into her use of cottage cheese as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Georgiana

I grew up eating lasagna with cottage cheese.  I don't like lasagna much unless it's a white lasagna, but it was fine.  Later on my mom switched to ricotta, but I couldn't really taste much difference.  What changed?  Ricotta started becoming available in our local grocery store.

Cottage cheese is a staple in the US and available at just about any grocery store out there, along with many questionable gas stations and pit stops.  Basically, you can count on being able to get cottage cheese no matter where you are.

"Specialty" cheeses such as ricotta are not so widely available.  I know what you're saying, "Gee, ricotta isn't that fancy!".  Agreed.  But while I can get just about every cheese known to man at the Safeway by my parents' house in a nice area, the Safeway by my house (I live in a historic district that buts up on several lower income areas) has a cheese selection of cheddar, fancy cheddar, blue (not the good kind), mozzarella, and various forms of ""cheese"" spreads.  When I find mizithra in stock, I buy multiple containers.  I have never seen gruyere there.  Even brie and gouda are not always in stock, and if they are, they are not good quality.

This is a pain point in my life because I'm actually both a cheese snob and cheese enthusiast.  And when I get a craving for actual good cheese or a non-cheddar cheese, I have to travel about 20 minutes to get access to it.  Pray that our Lord Rufus may see fit to bless my local grocery stores with a better cheese selection.  

But what I am saying is, the reason Jill's recipe uses cottage cheese is likely because the people who made this recipe had EASY ACCESS to cottage cheese, and they knew their friends would as well. In lower income or remote rural areas, you're not likely to have an extensive cheese selection.  I'm not sure how much demand there is for non-basic cheeses.  And if you're pinching pennies, you're not going to buy ricotta cheese for a lasagna.  You're going to buy cottage cheese because it's cheaper AND because you can easily find a use for any leftovers.  These folks probably don't know what to do with ricotta besides lasagna, which is a shame, but it is what it is.  

  • Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×