IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

22 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I am going to be sentenced for a decade in the Prayer Closet, but I wondering if that comes with lube.

I will be joining you in prayer closet cause I thought if you can program it to yodel “may the Lord open” it would help with babiiieees when the real thing happened!!!!!     :penguin-no:

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BernRul said:

People really don't acknowledge how racist America is against Asian people.

No, no they do not.  I'll never forget when a friend of my parents remarked to me that it was good that my parents were okay with my brother marrying a "yellow" girl.  I was shocked and speechless.

Just now, WiseGirl said:

No, no they do not.  I'll never forget when a friend of my parents remarked to me that it was good that my parents were okay with my brother marrying a "yellow" girl.  I was shocked and speechless.

My brother in law's mother and her family were put in the interment camps. They were living in California.  While his dad was attending school in Anne Arbor wasn't rounded up.

31 minutes ago, BernRul said:

I don't think it's common anywhere. I'm also a AMWF couple and me and my college roommate lost our shit when when it turned out we both had Asian boyfriends. Aside from that, I've never met anyone else. 

People tended to emasculate Asian men so much that I think it surprises them to see Asain men with non-Asian women, like no woman would ever find an Asian man attractive if she wasn't Asian herself. :roll:

Everyone always tells me how excited they are because my babies are going to be so cute. They usually mean well, and I joke about it, but sometimes it does strike me as creepy. Almost like people are fetishizing a baby. 

Truthfully, I'm kind of worried about how people will treat my kids. If they're girls, than they'll get fetishized as super sexy submissive sex dolls, and if they're boys they'll be treated like they are emasculate and "weak." It's fucked up either way. People really don't acknowledge how racist America is against Asian people. 

My daughter is Chinese.  Once I was talking to another adoptive parent on how my much my daughter struggles in math. This woman looked surprised and said "Really? She is Asian so she should be good at math".  :5624797b0697e_headbash:

I’m ashamed to say Canada did that also. Took away their homes and boats and sent them to northern BC.  In. The. Winter.  I’ve read a lot about it and it was disgusting.  These were good people they did this to.   

I always want to counter "emasculated Asian dude" stereotypes with "so how the fuck is China the most populous country on earth?" 

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Recipe please! (I don't cook, but I might dust off my oven for that - no I'm not exaggerating?? )

Not hard really.  I use a basic no knead bread recipe.  Make a large batch and keep it in the fridge.  Pull off hunks and bake them up when we want a new loaf.  Just added dried cherries and walnuts to this loaf.

Oddly enough, after posting this morning, our refrigerator died.  (it was older than our range)  Luckily we have an emergency back up one in the garage.  Ordered new fridge online off all things.  My kitchen is now about 1/3 remodeled.  Just have the cabinets and floors to go.:)  We'd been talking about getting estimates on new cabinetry (the floor I can do myself).

On 11/17/2018 at 4:07 PM, JingerSnaps said:

Maybe that wouldn’t be a bad thing for Mr. Snaps and me. Unless we are regulars someplace we almost always get handed separate checks. I sometime wonder if it is something all interracial couples deal with or it is just because neither of us is very touchy. 

I feel your pain. I’m 12 years older than my husband. We always get asked if we want separate bills ? for once it would be nice for someone to assume we are a couple

6 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I hope they don't do that at busy restaurants and make the place lose two covers by taking up a four person table.

They are so selfish I can see them doing it even when a restaurant is busy. Jim Bob and Michelle have been seen doing this too. 

I get wanting to sit next to each other for certain reasons (like the poster who said she and her husband both love to people watch - that makes total sense to me). But if it's just to be intimate or romantic or whatever, I don't get it at all. Can't you communicate better when you're sitting face to face and making eye contact? Especially if you're eating at the same time. 

AMWF: We usually got given separate checks, had a few comments here and there. It took an urgent care visit involving pain medication for us to run into the double standard, he had to show photos to prove I belonged to him while the same race couple next to us in the discharge area did not. Both of us had been waiting for our rides to arrive.

Per sitting on the same side of the table: Is there a hearing need or cultural difference there? Jill mentioned they always sit that way, I don't see anything wrong with it, but did want to note Jill and Derick did meet in Nepal and research shows it is mostly shared dining tables when eating out (plus they were courting, close as possible). They also spent part of their early married life in a country where eating out is uncommon and safety was a huge concern for them, it could very well be they sat that way to always have eyes on the exits available. 

Could totes be they just like it. 

Just wondering, is a server giving separate checks a common thing? Almost every time I’ve gone out to eat ( which, admittedly, isn’t that often ) the server gives one check to the table, unless someone specifically requests separate checks.  That’s when I’ve been out with partners, friends, co-workers - of a variety of age and racial compositions. 

25 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Just wondering, is a server giving separate checks a common thing? Almost every time I’ve gone out to eat ( which, admittedly, isn’t that often ) the server gives one check to the table, unless someone specifically requests separate checks.  That’s when I’ve been out with partners, friends, co-workers - of a variety of age and racial compositions. 

Here you have to request separate ones (but then we go up to the counter to pay... rather than them taking away your credit card like they do in the USA)

Practices re. separate vary regionally. I lived is a mid-sized college town throughout my 20’s - separate checks were the norm, and wait staff were pretty good a time gauging the exceptions. Then I moved to Baltimore where separate were on request only, and often not available/allowed. Now I’m in Boston, where separate checks are readily available, but not assumed.

Somebody asked if the opposite booth was occupied and alas, the mystery has been solved:

image.png.e384d636e1a8dbab00912fc2a0809889.png

I'll admit I sometimes sit next to my husband if the seating arrangement allows it and we're having a date night, but asking the waiter to be moved to another table... (mind you, they would always need a table for 4 people unless it's a small corner table) :562479351e8d1_wtf(2):

I am used that in a lot of more romantic restaurants you can sit on a 90degree angle with your date. I like it because you can be kind of intimate (holding hands etc) but still have a conversation without looking to the side all the time.

I like to sit next to my husband sometimes when I am tired, sad or otherwise in need of physical contact such as putting my head on his shoulder. 

But always and actually asking to be moved to another table...? Leave it to the Dillards to make literally everything awkward and weird. 

I generally prefer sitting across from people, it's easier to talk to them that way. I also prefer to have my own space. So if there's a group of us and you know how they have the wall booth type of thing? I'm the person who sits on the chair across from them. Unless I have to get in a booth, I just like my elbow room.

Ok, to continue the Asian people thread drift, tell me you all have seen Asian Bachelorette... designed to mock the fact that Bachelorette has had like two Asian guys on it.  

She's got a new recipe up on her blog. Crock-pot lasagna. It's not an awful recipe, but she just had to add this at the end: 

"Photo credit: the best hubby in the whole world, Derick Dillard <3"   (Not a good photo. At all.)

14 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

She's got a new recipe up on her blog. Crock-pot lasagna. It's not an awful recipe, but she just had to add this at the end: 

"Photo credit: the best hubby in the whole world, Derick Dillard <3"   (Not a good photo. At all.)

Maybe Jill's problem is that the SODRT never taught her modifiers or a wide vocabulary?  The Duggars do tend to use modifiers sparingly (they rarely use adverbs), and when they do use them, they use a very limited set.  Jessa and Jinger both write better, but they've also been seen reading some outside books/publications.  Sure it's basic stuff like the newspaper, but in Duggar terms, that's definitely a step up from anything they were likely to have read during their homeschool days.

I wonder if "the best hubby in the whole world" is actually the only compliment Jill can think of? Like me, when I was 10 and I was writing about my crush in my diaries.  Not a lot of adjective variation there either.

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

Sure, if the whole world is her immediate family.

49 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

The Duggars do tend to use modifiers sparingly (they rarely use adverbs), and when they do use them, they use a very limited set. 

At least she isn't referring to him as the world's most perpendicular husband.  We know she knows that word.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived