IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

11 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

How can fish be bad in one place and not in another?

Same as Surgeon 1 saying it's fine to shower post-surgery and Surgeon 2 saying not to shower AT ALL until stitches are out.

It's all down to the individual doc and his/her opinion.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I’ve never heard you should avoid fish. And we were told to test peanutbutter early. Miniway had both around six months. 

The recommentations are different everywhere though. Very confusing. How can fish be bad in one place and not in another?

I ended up ignoring the fish one - because when he was about 11 months old we went on vacation to the Keys. Fish in the Keys is different than fish in Ontario in the dead of winter. So the boy tried caught-that-day fish. And LOVED it. 

I wonder if Jill is afraid that Derick will cheat on her. She has seen her brother do it and saw her mom blame Anna for Joshs actions. I still hate her for doing that to Anna. What happened to personal accountability?

10 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

What happened to personal accountability?

In their world, it seems that people with penises are simultaneously considered helpless when in the vicinity of people without penises (or their images) and above reproach because they have penises.  Those without are held personally accountable for those with.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Same as Surgeon 1 saying it's fine to shower post-surgery and Surgeon 2 saying not to shower AT ALL until stitches are out.

It's all down to the individual doc and his/her opinion.

In Sweden there are general guidelines from the National Food Administration so everyone gets the same. And I’m comparing with my sister in laws in Australia and their recommendations from the Department of Health. 

I understand some food is different in different countries but there were definitly some differences in guidelines that I found really weird. Both for what to eat when pregnant and what to feed your baby. 

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

I ended up ignoring the fish one - because when he was about 11 months old we went on vacation to the Keys. Fish in the Keys is different than fish in Ontario in the dead of winter. So the boy tried caught-that-day fish. And LOVED it. 

Miniway loved fish when he was little and now his favourite food is sushi. 

41 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

In Sweden there are general guidelines from the National Food Administration so everyone gets the same. And I’m comparing with my sister in laws in Australia and their recommendations from the Department of Health. 

I understand some food is different in different countries but there were definitly some differences in guidelines that I found really weird. Both for what to eat when pregnant and what to feed your baby. 

Miniway loved fish when he was little and now his favourite food is sushi. 

There is a sushi place where I live that makes toddler sized sushi. The chefs love watching the kids eat it. The mess afterwards is big but the owners are ok with that because they know the kids are being introduced to new foods. 

@Iamtheway, there were some well-done studies a few years ago that studied peanut allergy and the age of introduction to peanuts.  It was found that if peanuts were introduced around the middle of the first year- 4 to 6 months- that babies were less likely to become allergic to peanuts than when peanuts were introduced later in infancy or toddlerhood.

Lots of people in the lactation community were alarmed by these findings, but not so anymore.  It had been popular in breastfeeding circles to say that babies that started solids later where trying to avoid allergens; that the babies were prone to allergies and they were trying to protect themselves.  That always seemed like a logical stretch to me as there was no evidence behind it.  No one, that I know of, is trying to argue that we should start solid foods at 2 months like was done 60 years ago- just don't delay solids till they're eating crap they find on the floor.  (I saw that happen some years ago. Mom wanted her twins to not start solids for a year so that her periods would be delayed longer.  Nope, they needed complementary foods introduced.)

17 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You're absolutely right.  It's not a hypothesis, it's a fact.

And as you said this does happen when it's slow.  Instead of being happy they aren't marrying off barely legal emotionally and educationally stunted kidults or growing more Duggars it turns into BEC when there isn't anything going on.

The answer isn't to go all BEC on the Duggars.

Honestly, I didn't take it as BEC. I was under the impression that she was just curious...not being snarky. I personally am curious about that too, to be honest.....again, not even to be snarky, it just seems like they've been on for a long time. I know that it's none of my/our business, I'm just curious too. 

I was told to start feeding my son all of the potential allergen foods to my son around 6 months by both my pediatrician and at the public health clinic where he receives his vaccinations. In Alberta, I believe that is the recommendation unless your child already has had an allergic reaction to a food or if there is a history in the family of a severe allergy. I was told to introduce those foods one at a time and to watch my son after he had eaten whatever it was to make sure he wasn't having a reaction. Also, it was recommended that you keep giving your baby those foods, especially nuts, on a regular basis to keep up the exposure. I used to put some peanut butter in his oatmeal.

We have friends whose son is allergic to eggs so they were advised to do things slightly differently because of this.

My husband was allergic to a lot of things as a child but thankfully has grown out of all of them. I have great sympathy for anyone whose children have allergies. It must be so nerve wracking.

Someone brought up Jill’s post about the women in her small group at church praying for each other and suggested that she might be doing something independently. My understanding is that mega churches are much like large lecture classes in college. Sometimes you sit with everyone and listen, and sometimes you join an assigned smaller group and talk. That’s the kind of group Jill’s talking about. Derick and other men are in it; Jill didn’t choose to join it; and the other women aren’t choosing to spend time with her.

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

You also must be careful giving kids raisins, because they fit perfectly up their little noses.  After the 2nd time of having to pin my son down and dig in his nose with tweezers or blow in his mouth with one nostril closed to get raisins out,  we stopped giving him raisins, and I stopped eating them as well, 4 booger filled rosins was enough to turn me off them for life, he was only about 18 months old at the time and he'll be 21 in 2 weeks.

This made me laugh harder than it probably should have! I was just picturing it!!! Ugh!!! The things mothers do for their children!!!

53 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

There is a sushi place where I live that makes toddler sized sushi. The chefs love watching the kids eat it. The mess afterwards is big but the owners are ok with that because they know the kids are being introduced to new foods. 

The last time we went I bought 21 full size pieces and he ate 10 of them. ? 

I had 11 and was completly full. 

25 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Someone brought up Jill’s post about the women in her small group at church praying for each other and suggested that she might be doing something independently. My understanding is that mega churches are much like large lecture classes in college. Sometimes you sit with everyone and listen, and sometimes you join an assigned smaller group and talk. That’s the kind of group Jill’s talking about. Derick and other men are in it; Jill didn’t choose to join it; and the other women aren’t choosing to spend time with her.

You usually choose to go to small groups, though of course that doesn't mean that you choose to specifically spend time with every individual person there (believe me, as someone who has been to many small groups, there were plenty of people I would have preferred not to be in that group! :pb_lol:). You can see a list of small groups here: http://crosschurch.com/groups/ They're something you have to specifically connect to, not like being divided into groups in a college class.

And if you look at her post, it sounds like a few women including Jill met outside of the small group.

Spoiler

It's just that there are all these posts about how Jill needs to join a group and wondering why she doesn't when we don't actually know every single activity she does and in fact there's evidence that she has joined a group.

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Another point about raisins - if your child doesn't chew them thoroughly and then has a poopsplosion in the bathtub, you WILL see grapes.

#notevenkidding

#whoknewtheywouldrehydrate

I love you and I'm sorry, but that is making me laugh so hard. ?

It seems kind of weird, to me anyway, for others to be praying for your children all summer and providing written evidence afterward.  Do the Cross Church children really need that much supernatural help?  What if they're given prayers for a drum set, a heart for homosexuals, or a new daddy?

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

You usually choose to go to small groups, though of course that doesn't mean that you choose to specifically spend time with every individual person there (believe me, as someone who has been to many small groups, there were plenty of people I would have preferred not to be in that group! :pb_lol:). You can see a list of small groups here: http://crosschurch.com/groups/ They're something you have to specifically connect to, not like being divided into groups in a college class.

And if you look at her post, it sounds like a few women including Jill met outside of the small group.

Reveal hidden contents

It's just that there are all these posts about how Jill needs to join a group and wondering why she doesn't when we don't actually know every single activity she does and in fact there's evidence that she has joined a group.

Okay, so forgive me if I'm reading the group link wrong - bad asthma day, oxygen deprived ha ~ but um, are there seriously like 20thousand (exaggerated, but only slightly) flipping "groups" happening at 1045 at this church on Sundays?!  How big is this churc??  When is the actual church time happening ~ and what if you f all in more than one category??

9 minutes ago, Fun Undies said:

Okay, so forgive me if I'm reading the group link wrong - bad asthma day, oxygen deprived ha ~ but um, are there seriously like 20thousand (exaggerated, but only slightly) flipping "groups" happening at 1045 at this church on Sundays?!  How big is this churc??  When is the actual church time happening ~ and what if you f all in more than one category??

You’re exaggerating a little, they’re at various times during the week, and it’s a VERY big church. (I have been in it, didn’t see any Duggars, would rather not explain.) There’s a lot of function rooms. Probably you can join more than one group if you have a variety of interests and needs.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

a heart for homosexuals

Haha, that is literally something my mom once said about me. She meant it as a good thing; at that point she thought that my talking about gay issues meant that I wanted to lead them to the Lord.

As for the prayer thing, I guess it might be weird if you're not familiar with the culture, but it's a very normal thing to do for them.

16 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

The last time we went I bought 21 full size pieces and he ate 10 of them. ? 

I had 11 and was completly full. 

We need to eat more sushi... We don't have a great place in town - but hubs & I love sushi and I'd love it if the Boy also got in on it. He isn't the biggest fan of fish these days. (sadly). 

But I was putting spinach in meatballs last night and he squealed "OOO! Broccoli!" so I guess there are trade offs... 

I think that Jill needs to find a hobby that isn't blogging. Maybe she can take the boys to a Mommy and Me Cooking Class so she can learn what food is supposed to look like? :P Just a suggestion!

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I think that Jill needs to find a hobby that isn't blogging. Maybe she can take the boys to a Mommy and Me Cooking Class so she can learn what food is supposed to look like? :P Just a suggestion!

Or if she's going to keep blogging, a photography class or a writing class might be useful to her.  Her photos are just horrible.  Her writing (IMO) is both stilted and simplistic.  

Jinger's writing can also be mediocre, but she makes up for it with beautiful photography and more accessible blog topics.  Jessa, out of the three, is the best writer.  She's conversational and accessible, even with the occasional awkward phrasing.  

Jill compared to Jana, Jessa, Jinger and Joy, doesn't seem to mix well with people. I do to an extent feel bad for her, if she had had more opportunities to mix with people growing up that were different to her she may not have struggled as much as she does now. I went to school with a girl that was a bit like Jill in the sense that she was a people pleaser and always tried to please teacher's, she used to tell on people as well for stupid stuff to get them into trouble. By the time she got to the end of primary school and into high school she learned not to be so lil miss perfect as that didn't win her friends and not every teacher appreciated it either. Jill has no self awareness and fails to grasp how her behaviour is perceived by others.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:25 PM, caitrona said:

According to the 70's, if you call it salad, it must be healthy.  Or something.  My contribution, which we found when cleaning out some of my grandmother's papers.  She had clipped it out of Woman's Day or someplace, and we were all super thankful she never got around to making it.

45163760_10215392778605710_2480240521339994112_n.jpg

I cant even with this recipe. Causing "meat and potatoes man" to change his mind? On a lettuce leaf? Serve with mayonnaise?

Just no.

1 hour ago, JustEnough said:

I cant even with this recipe. Causing "meat and potatoes man" to change his mind? On a lettuce leaf? Serve with mayonnaise?

Just no.

I hope it was a joke. Even for back then, that’s crazy. 

For anyone curious, we now know the exact date the Dills started courting - November 22, 2013:

D7E889BB-5908-4BD0-A41B-F065E126F72A.thumb.jpeg.206cce2ab485fad39e0e2994e85f0455.jpeg

They were engaged on March 29, 2014 (4 months and one week later) and married on June 21, 2014 (almost exactly seven months later.) 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived