IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

21 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

at least she'll inadvertently learn something

Nah. That's not true. You're assuming she has the mental acuity to translate what she hears into meaningful information that she can then re-state in her own words and use in her life.

I've sat through engineering-oriented lunch programs, and I heard all the words, but I do not have the ability to translate what I heard into something I can use - and I am a lover and user of words in my day-to-day existence. I write and promote and strategize in my line of work, but there's no way I could listen to a structural/civil/mechanical engineering lecture and "learn something" useful about this type of engineering, other than relating what I heard -- you'd certainly not want me to try to translate what I heard into a set of construction drawings because... come on! That's ridiculous! And potentially deadly. lol

Listening to these lectures doesn't make me an engineer, nor does it make me "smarter" than I was the hour before.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

Yeah I never bought a jumper or a walker for that reason ?‍♀️ they can be damaging when used properly according to my PT friend.  I just meant that I've used things like that past the normal age. 

Jill is one of my least favorite but I think she doesn't really understand how to Instagram...I doubt Izzy is actually watching it he's probably just sitting with Jill he may be just eating smores and coloring no next to her for all we know. 

Also i think no matter the reason she's watching at least she'll inadvertently learn something lol so it's definitely a good thing in my book! 

I cringe every time I read about stuff I did that is now known to be dangerous.  I'm surprised my kids made it to adulthood, lol.  One thing I did, that I now know is a big no-no, is swaddling and laying baby on his/her side.  Apparently this was a major cause of SIDS.  It makes sense, as the weight and position of baby's shoulders causes difficulty in breathing.  I also used something similar to a johhny jump up. My little guy used to click his heels when it rebound upward.  We put on Irish folk music It was freaking adorable.

37 minutes ago, justmissedquiver said:

I cringe every time I read about stuff I did that is now known to be dangerous.  I'm surprised my kids made it to adulthood, lol.  One thing I did, that I now know is a big no-no, is swaddling and laying baby on his/her side.  Apparently this was a major cause of SIDS.  It makes sense, as the weight and position of baby's shoulders causes difficulty in breathing.  I also used something similar to a johhny jump up. My little guy used to click his heels when it rebound upward.  We put on Irish folk music It was freaking adorable.

I think we all do things like that... right now my son is eating raisins and the dentist just told me how bad they are for his teeth (they did say his teeth are perfect though). He likes them and it's easy for me to hand him a box for snack. It's hard to be a mom when every thing you do is wrong.

47 minutes ago, justmissedquiver said:
2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I cringe every time I read about stuff I did that is now known to be dangerous.

Yep, and this is the type of car seat I rode in:  

090618history-of-car-seats.jpg

Edit:  in the FRONT seat, between my parents. lol

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yep, and this is the type of car seat I rode in:  

090618history-of-car-seats.jpg

Edit:  in the FRONT seat, between my parents. lol

I was born in the 90s and still came home from the hospital in the front seat of a truck forward facing. I think the car seat is a fairly recent thing people have taken issues with.

4 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

was born in the 90s and still came home from the hospital in the front seat of a truck forward facing.

Were you born in the US? Because GryffindorDisappointment was born in 1990 and came home in the back seat, backward-facing. That was the law, then. 

6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Were you born in the US? Because GryffindorDisappointment was born in 1990 and came home in the back seat, backward-facing. That was the law, then. 

Yes, and I was discharged after being in the NICU for 6 weeks in 1992. My family still isn't real educated on anything safety related though and they don't plan to be. Wouldn't nt want to baby anyone too much, they might grow up to be a snowflake, fake news believing, democrat lol

11 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

What 3 year old wants to watch this though? If she just parented effectively her attention span probably wouldn't wander to Wreck so often. I'm sure JB would pay* for those kids to be in swimming lessons or a mommy group. Something to get Jill out of the house.

*Since the Dullards have no income.

I don’t think JB would pay for swimming lessons unless they could guarantee that all participants and instructors were in wholesomewear. Remember, you are never too young to feel shame about your body in Duggar world. 

I think we all do things like that... right now my son is eating raisins and the dentist just told me how bad they are for his teeth (they did say his teeth are perfect though). He likes them and it's easy for me to hand him a box for snack. It's hard to be a mom when every thing you do is wrong.

What you need to remember when you hear something like that from your dentist is that you child is more than his teeth.  You can mitigate the damage that raisins do to his teeth by being on your toes about his oral hygiene.  

13 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I feel like some of Jill's seeming issues could be addressed if she was a bit more effective and creative at parenting. I know stay-at-home-mom can be a rough, lonely gig, but some of her choices seem to add to her apparent boredom and loneliness. She never seems to get out of the house much with the kids, which I think would help. Take them to things like story time at the library or tumbling tots or swim classes or just to the playground. No three-year-old wants to sit and watch a law school lecture. It would break up the day for the kids and give Jill some time hanging out with other adults. Like @artdecades mentioned, she needs to get a hobby that's just for her--preferably one that gets her out of the house (and Derick needs to adult the hell up and be responsible for his kids once a week while she does it, I should add). 

I feel like this is where growing up in a fairly isolated way on the compound has hurt her. When she was living at the TTH, she had a built-in support system that she could use for socializing. Now that she's on her own, she doesn't appear to know what to do with herself. 

Why doesn't she just GO to TTH? Jessa is there frequently, why not Jill?  Go to Joy's or have Joy come over if Joy is living a van down by the river, or where ever the hell Austin has them boarded at the moment.  I'm starting to think she really does need the most basic things pointed out to her because they don't occur to her to do, like taking the kids outside to play. I'm guessing she has no common sense, she might have some book smarts, but is appears very ignorant because the obvious never occurs to her.

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Why doesn't she just GO to TTH? Jessa is there frequently, why not Jill?  Go to Joy's or have Joy come over if Joy is living a van down by the river, or where ever the hell Austin has them boarded at the moment.  I'm starting to think she really does need the most basic things pointed out to her because they don't occur to her to do, like taking the kids outside to play. I'm guessing she has no common sense, she might have some book smarts, but is appears very ignorant because the obvious never occurs to her.

Maybe the Dillards only have 1 car and DD takes it school?  Would hope not, but maybe...

Yes, lack of common sense runs strong in this family. 

You also must be careful giving kids raisins, because they fit perfectly up their little noses.  After the 2nd time of having to pin my son down and dig in his nose with tweezers or blow in his mouth with one nostril closed to get raisins out,  we stopped giving him raisins, and I stopped eating them as well, 4 booger filled rosins was enough to turn me off them for life, he was only about 18 months old at the time and he'll be 21 in 2 weeks.

I don't really agree that a lack of common sense seems to run in the family, as much as a lack of  interaction in the real world has stunted their social abilities.  I also don't get the assumption, at all, that the children are "not bright" and incapable of understanding a basic first year law class lecture.  Any exposure to higher education is good for them, in my opinion and better for them than wearing pants will ever be.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Interesting. One was born in 1991, and we had to demonstrate to the   OB nurse that we knew how to fit him in the car seat (which we did with him in a snowsuit, since it was December, and nobody turned a hair) but he was forward facing from Day One. Two and a half years later, Two did face backward, but not for long, as his legs were long and he pushed against the back seat at about six months. This was in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

13 hours ago, justmissedquiver said:

Sorry if this has been discussed as nauseam, but when the hell are Derick's braces coming off?? Is there a FJ dental professional with insight. My son started treatment for very similar issues. His braces, upper and lower expanders, have been on and off inside the time of Derick's treatment.  I wonder if their financial circumstance have prevented him finishing treatment.  Again, sorry if this is redundant.

I'm guessing they are in large part to fix his jaw/bite issues and not just to straighten his teeth, so they will be on for a while. 

I had a nasty crossbite and went with Invisalign rather than metal braces. Granted, Invisalign already takes longer and isn't as effective with bite issues, but I still wore them for four (freaking) years. And I didn't have a problem so serious it required jaw surgery. 

54 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Interesting. One was born in 1991, and we had to demonstrate to the   OB nurse that we knew how to fit him in the car seat (which we did with him in a snowsuit, since it was December, and nobody turned a hair) but he was forward facing from Day One. Two and a half years later, Two did face backward, but not for long, as his legs were long and he pushed against the back seat at about six months. This was in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

My first was 1990 and ours was backwards facing, as was the law.  That was California.

10 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Granted, Invisalign already takes longer and isn't as effective with bite issues

Aint that the truth.  Ortho said they were, we trusted him and after 3 years my son still had bite issues and is now in braces so we're doing it twice.  Invisalign corrected some minor cosmetic issues but that was all. 

25 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My first was 1990 and ours was backwards facing, as was the law.  That was California.

Aint that the truth.  Ortho said they were, we trusted him and after 3 years my son still had bite issues and is now in braces so we're doing it twice.  Invisalign corrected some minor cosmetic issues but that was all. 

We had a rather shyster dentist when our oldest needed braces. He wanted to sell us Invisalign, which he would monitor. Now Stevie Wonder could see that she needed more than Invisalign. Sadly for that DDS, the biggest/busiest  Ortho in our small town was in the same complex. I walked her over to that office and asked the Ortho what he thought, and he did peek in her mouth and told me that he she'd need braces and likely 2 phases (she did).

My 1987 kid sat forward and my 1990 kid sat backward per the CA law. Although my second did not sit backward beyond a 12 (???)months.

Another point about raisins - if your child doesn't chew them thoroughly and then has a poopsplosion in the bathtub, you WILL see grapes.

#notevenkidding

#whoknewtheywouldrehydrate

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nah. That's not true. You're assuming she has the mental acuity to translate what she hears into meaningful information that she can then re-state in her own words and use in her life.

I've sat through engineering-oriented lunch programs, and I heard all the words, but I do not have the ability to translate what I heard into something I can use - and I am a lover and user of words in my day-to-day existence. I write and promote and strategize in my line of work, but there's no way I could listen to a structural/civil/mechanical engineering lecture and "learn something" useful about this type of engineering, other than relating what I heard -- you'd certainly not want me to try to translate what I heard into a set of construction drawings because... come on! That's ridiculous! And potentially deadly. lol

Listening to these lectures doesn't make me an engineer, nor does it make me "smarter" than I was the hour before.

How dare you. These are the Duggars we are talking about. The ones who can become astronauts after visiting the air and space museum just once. Their lack of science and math education be damned. Jill will be ready to argue cases with high profile defense attorneys in no time. They don’t need to absorb information because Jesus will do it for them. 

4 hours ago, justmissedquiver said:

My son is 5 - and until he was a year old - it was "no peanut butter, no nuts, no fish of any kid" 

Then he turned one and it was "okay - now you can intro those things at nine months" AURGH

4 hours ago, justmissedquiver said:

One thing I did, that I now know is a big no-no, is swaddling and laying baby on his/her side.  Apparently this was a major cause of SIDS.  It makes sense, as the weight and position of baby's shoulders causes difficulty in breathing. 

My daughter was swaddled and on her side in the hospital's nursery. THAT was the accepted "thing" at that time.

I guess Jessa is very much liked here but I think Jill is more adventorous or active maybe... I mean why should she just go and sit in the TTH while sister moms look after the kids or they randomly play,...She lived there her whole life..I mean she is taking them to more experiences and doing a lot of activities with them unlike Jessa who's probably just sitting on the couch there ;)  

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

My son is 5 - and until he was a year old - it was "no peanut butter, no nuts, no fish of any kid" 

Then he turned one and it was "okay - now you can intro those things at nine months" AURGH

I’ve never heard you should avoid fish. And we were told to test peanutbutter early. Miniway had both around six months. 

The recommentations are different everywhere though. Very confusing. How can fish be bad in one place and not in another?

38 minutes ago, Fundielandobserver said:

I guess Jessa is very much liked here but I think Jill is more adventorous or active maybe... I mean why should she just go and sit in the TTH while sister moms look after the kids or they randomly play,...She lived there her whole life..I mean she is taking them to more experiences and doing a lot of activities with them unlike Jessa who's probably just sitting on the couch there ;)

I haven't seen Jill do anything adventurous since her flight came back from South America.  She clearly hated that adventure.  

Following your husband around while he's at school isn't adventurous, it's just sad.  The only logical explanations are because she distrusts him, or she's so lonely, or she really has nothing to call her own.  

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived