IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

Is there something unusual about Fanta? You can buy it in any shop can't you? Fanta orange and Fanta Limon are fairly common in UK and Ireland, or at least they were when I was younger and not addicted to diet coke.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

Is there something unusual about Fanta? You can buy it in any shop can't you? Fanta orange and Fanta Limon are fairly common in UK and Ireland, or at least they were when I was younger and not addicted to diet coke.

Yes, and here is a surprisingly long and detailed list of its availability in different countries. The glass bottle is a little less common in the US, though. It's possible it's sweetened differently too, like how a lot of Americans perceive Mexican Coke as tasting better.

I just learned that,

Therefore, while most of the Coca-Cola labeled "Mexican" in the United States is made with cane sugar, this is not true of all Coca-Cola sold in Mexico.

and 

Participants in taste tests conducted by Coca-Cola reported no perceptible differences in flavor between American Coke and the Mexican formulation.

Anyway, the Fanta in glass bottles probably just reminds them of their time in El Salvador.

17 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Does Jill have enough education for this? I just don't see the Duggars learning any real history. See Jim Bob pointing to the castle saying this is where King James wrote the King James Bible.

They look nice. Doesn't stop either of them from being awful human beings. And yes, PTSD is definitely an issue for veterans. I just feel prickly because I feel like these idiots might bring religion into it. :( My great uncle was a gunner in the Royal Navy during WWII. After 6 years of war, he came home completely changed. Shell shock was the diagnosis. He went into a mental institution at the end of 1945, he left it when he died in 1995. PTSD is serious, it's heart breaking, it tears families apart.

WOW I really think Jill looks fantastic here. And the shoes.... (not my style) more something to expect from Alyssa or Whitney. 

Sadly, I don’t think the Duggars or Bates grasp how bad WWI was or understand any of the points that were made in Paris this year.

15 hours ago, mollysmom said:

I don't have kids so this is an honest question, isn't Sam too big to still be using a johnny jump up? I thought that was just for babies....not kids who are walking(?)

I don't have children either, so I am no expert, but my friend with a 7 month old said they are designed for kids ages 6 mo to 18 months. Google said the same thing. 

ETA: The video is hilarious and adorable. They finally let Israel have some attention and showed concern for Sam's well being. Maybe she is finally taking a hint from Jessa.

I was travelling last weekend so I'm a bit late to the party discussing the post about that veterans gala.

Jill wrote: "... its [sic] our job as civilians to do whatever we can to raise awareness and reach out in support. "

This might be my European (German) perspective talking, but I don't really see how they are "supporting" anybody here. We don't really have a veteran care culture here in Germany, as far as I am aware of, so, again, it might just be me, but... How exactly do they help somebody by dressing up and attending a gala? I guess they are paying money for the table (which goes back to some sort of program?) and maybe raise awareness on social media. But in terms of actual support, are they doing anything more concrete than that? Visit elderly veterans in care homes? Raise money for care homes/support programs etc? Help organize events for families with relatives in the army? I hope you see what I mean.

For me it's the same ignorance as marching in anti-abortion rallies, being pro life etc but not really offering any actual, practical help to women/families who did not have an abortion. I vaguely remember Anna(?) visiting a home for single mothers on the show back in the 19 kids and counting days. Didn't she give them a huge teddy bear (super useful, I am sure)?

We get Fanta (and Coke and Sprite) in the glass bottles in our melting pot neighborhood. :)

Those don't look like the pupusas I get at our favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant.

I fixed Derick's Jacked-up jaw. Maybe I should go to PhotoshopDentalSchool.

b.jpg

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Sadly, I don’t think the Duggars or Bates grasp how bad WWI was or understand any of the points that were made in Paris this year.

I don't think they do either and frankly, I don't think many Yanks do.  I know I didn't until I took Western Civ at Furman 20 years ago.  Just one example:  The Battle of the Somme lasted from January -November 1916 and there were over 600,000 Allied casualties and about that same number of German casualties.  How horrid that so many young men lost their lives!

Kurt Vonnegut believed that we should go back to calling Veteran's Day Armistice Day , not to dishonor those who served but to better commemorate the cessation of hostilities.  

33 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We get Fanta (and Coke and Sprite) in the glass bottles in our melting pot neighborhood. :)

Those don't look like the pupusas I get at our favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant.

I fixed Derick's Jacked-up jaw. Maybe I should go to PhotoshopDentalSchool.

b.jpg

Is she holding the camera?  Tell me they didn't ask a stranger to take this pic of them.

This would irritate the fuck out of me if I ran into a small store for something and a couple of idiots were blocking the aisle taking selfies.

In the United States many veterans depend on funding that private events generate. The broken healthcare system does not provide adequate care to veterans. Even with the VA it can be very hard to get care and the amount of paperwork required is astonishing. The amount of hoops that veterans have to jump through just to be seen at the VA is ridiculous. This lack of access to healthcare isn’t just limited to armed forces members. A late night talk show host aired an episode where it highlighted the 9/11 first responders that are dying from sicknesses related to 9/11 (usually various types of respiratory illnesses) because they can’t afford treatment.

7 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

SO, I have pictures of me all around the world drinking fanta.  They are different in every country (US fanta is nasty) and I get really excited when I can find it in glass bottles.  Spanish is my favorite with Mexican a close second.  I have no hate for her fanta love.

16 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

SO, I have pictures of me all around the world drinking fanta.  They are different in every country (US fanta is nasty) and I get really excited when I can find it in glass bottles.  Spanish is my favorite with Mexican a close second.  I have no hate for her fanta love.

A lot of people I know prefer the Mexican version of sodas because it's a different formula.  It's so popular, they are now being specifically carried in some local grocery stores, but they don't sell them by the pack, so you have to get the glass bottles (which are also making a comeback for environmental and health reasons).  I live in Western Washington, so it's not like this is some close to the border thing.  

It's not a big deal around here, because like I said...you can get the Mexican versions of sodas in a lot of places now, but I've totally seen social media posts just like Jill's from some of my friends for whom it's a bigger deal to find those sodas.  

Naturally, however, Jill remains completely tone-deaf as Mexican versions of EUROPEAN SODAS are NOT an example of the vibrant, unique, and wonderful culture that is Latin Culture.  It's just a formula of a soda using different sweeteners.  

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

A lot of people I know prefer the Mexican version of sodas because it's a different formula.  It's so popular, they are now being specifically carried in some local grocery stores, but they don't sell them by the pack, so you have to get the glass bottles (which are also making a comeback for environmental and health reasons).  I live in Western Washington, so it's not like this is some close to the border thing.  

We're about to see a switch to more glass bottles in stores, due to the steel tariffs that Captain Bone Spurs put into place. 

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Naturally, however, Jill remains completely tone-deaf as Mexican versions of EUROPEAN SODAS are NOT an example of the vibrant, unique, and wonderful culture that is Latin Culture.  

I'm so happy they have Mexican products at Safeway now, even if I never buy them. I like seeing other people happy to find the glass bottle cokes they grew up with, and TBH I think the glass bottle tastes better. 

They might not be a example of the culture, but its a part of culture, just like Faygo is part of white people in michigan who listen to ICP. So many kids I know go crazy for Mexican Fanta. 

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

In the United States many veterans depend on funding that private events generate. The broken healthcare system does not provide adequate care to veterans. Even with the VA it can be very hard to get care and the amount of paperwork required is astonishing. The amount of hoops that veterans have to jump through just to be seen at the VA is ridiculous. This lack of access to healthcare isn’t just limited to armed forces members. A late night talk show host aired an episode where it highlighted the 9/11 first responders that are dying from sicknesses related to 9/11 (usually various types of respiratory illnesses) because they can’t afford treatment.

I believe that was Jon Stewart when he was still host of “The Daily Show.” He did (and still does!) a lot to try to raise awareness and pressure Congress into helping 9/11 first responders.

I don't think they do either and frankly, I don't think many Yanks do.  I know I didn't until I took Western Civ at Furman 20 years ago.  Just one example:  The Battle of the Somme lasted from January -November 1916 and there were over 600,000 Allied casualties and about that same number of German casualties.  How horrid that so many young men lost their lives! 

The battle of the Somme was awful, when the math is done out, each man died for 4 inches of ground.

We learned about it a lot at school because we followed the trail of the Caribou. The Caribou is the symbol of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. They were first in Galipoli, which was a disaster from start to finish. They drowned in the mud, the froze in a freak snowstorm, and of course they were shot at. From there they moved to fields of Flanders.

On the morning of the first of July 1916, 500 men from the Royal Newfoundland Regiment went over the top of the trench, it was at 8:45 in the morning and they went from the trench called St. John's Road with the Essex company. The next morning at roll call 68 men answered. A whole generation of men where slaughtered, gunned down by the Germans by the skeleton tree. The barbed wire was supposed to be cut, it was not. They got stuck and were stuck in the wire like animals trying to escape as they were gunned down. The so called bombing that was supposed to destroy the machine guns did not. Commanded by General Haig, the Butcher of the Somme, they were sent to their deaths. And it appears that those in charge knew that was a possibility.

20,000 Allied Soldiers lost their lives on the first of July 1916. In Newfoundland, a generation of young men were lost. Killed before they had the chance to live. Until we joined Canada our version of Remembrance Day was on the 1st of July and the wives/mothers/families of these soldiers wore Forget Me Nots. The bravery of those men are remembered today by Newfoundland Park in Beaumont Hammel and the Caribou statue that looks over them there.

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

They might not be a example of the culture, but its a part of culture, just like Faygo is part of white people in michigan who listen to ICP. So many kids I know go crazy for Mexican Fanta. 

I think there's a difference between the significance of Faygo (which is a distinct brand with somewhat limited distribution) being a part of a culture and simply a slightly different formulation of a product from outside the culture where the difference in formulation is not culturally significant.  I think it would be closer to Faygo if Jill were actually holding up a distinctly Latin soda brand...in which case I would agree with her and you.  But this is an import, and the differences in formulation have really no cultural significance.  The decision to use cane sugar wasn't one made by Latin peoples for cultural reasons, it was one made by the German head company for various profit reasons.  The difference in formulation had nothing to do with culture, and everything to do with sourcing, profit, and various laws.  

China had different formulations of Western products too, but they were simply differences in sourcing and slight differences in taste.  It had no cultural significance, and while I may miss some of those things, they are certainly not an example of Chinese culture.  And on a certain level, it would be rude for me to imply that something ultimately imported is on the same level as something uniquely developed by them.  They drink soda sometimes, and these are the sodas they import.  That's not always the case with imports (e.g. KFC in China I would argue IS it's own unique cultural deal), but a culture may not always fully integrate everything it imports.  Especially now with the global culture we have, various cultures are able to import and interact with global brands/items on sort of that global level without trying to own or integrate them.   

Sometimes cultures can take things over and assign them significance, but sometimes a soda is just a soda.   And it's important to separate globalized imports and the impact of wold-wide distribution from the distinct culture of a region, IMO.  

16 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

The battle of the Somme was awful, when the math is done out, each man died for 4 inches of ground.

I think we need to move Veteran's Day and go back to calling November 11 Armistice Day. "Veteran's Day" just waters it down.  

@Carm_88,  reading your post made me angrier than I already was that Cadet Bone Spurs aka The Orange Menace could not, would not march with other world leaders down the Champs Elysees yesterday to commemorate the centenary of the Armistice.  He had to take a limousine because it was raining. Never mind that President Kennedy and President de Gaulle honored the war dead in the rain sans umbrellas in 1961.  

This is a great article from the New Yorker about the incident:

Trump completes a shameful trip to Paris just as he needs the global stage

@PennySycamore For the Orange Menace to understand WWI, he would have to read and analyze history. He can't understand those brave young men, because he wouldn't do as they did. He wouldn't stand up for his country and fight; and now he's prepared to tear it apart.

They are reminiscing about their neighborhood in Central America. It’s not like they actually socialized with people beyond the women’s groups and men’s groups they ran. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

The Caribou is the symbol of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment

. A whole generation of men where slaughtered, gunned down by the Germans by the skeleton tree. The barbed wire was supposed to be cut, it was not.

@Carm_88 in a war stuffed to the gills with horrific stories, the history of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment has to be one of the worst. I was at a birthday dinner last night and the discussion turned to exactly this at one point. 

Another Canadian here - even outside Newfoundland we honour the memory of these brave souls.  Nothing like this must ever happen again.   

23 hours ago, mollysmom said:

I don't have kids so this is an honest question, isn't Sam too big to still be using a johnny jump up? I thought that was just for babies....not kids who are walking(?)

I still put my 15 month old in an exersaucer when I shower/ clean carpets/ do something where he could get hurt and I don't want to be careful. He's probably too old technically but he likes it and it makes my life easier. He also LOVED his baby swing and used it until he was a solid 10 or 11 months old... that thing was creeking when it ran lol but he would just sit and chill in it so I didn't care he was wayyy to big.

Exersaucers are more stationary though. The problem with being too tall/too heavy for a jumper is the damage that can be done to the tendons and ligaments in a baby's knees. 

"Love me some Latin culture" says the Trump supporters. When their beloved 'wall' gets built I hope it cuts off their supply of Mexican/Latin products! 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived