IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

12 minutes ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

You what kitchen "trend" I wish would die out in Germany (at least there not sure if other European countries do this): the "you buy a kitchen for the apartment you are RENTING" trend. It has been like 13 years at this point and I am still not over the fact that rental apartments don't always come with a kitchen. It is getting better, but we are in the process of moving back to Germany (thanks Brexit, sort of) and I was again reminded of the fact that we may need to buy a kitchen for a place we don't intend to stay ? I would take an outdated or trendy kitchen or basic white (would love actually) for a few years over wasting my money. Ok sorry about the rant. I have been apartment hunting for weeks and it has built up. ❤️

Cabinets and sink etc. are always there. We did have to buy our own appliances but we could buy them for a good price from the previous tenant. Most apartments either have a system like this (own appliances but agreements between old and new tenants) or they have everything in place including appliances. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Cabinets and sink etc. are always there. We did have to buy our own appliances but we could buy them for a good price from the previous tenant. Most apartments either have a system like this (own appliances but agreements between old and new tenants) or they have everything in place including appliances. 

I should suggest my husband to look in the Netherlands for work then! I think it so pretty up there too. In Germany, often it is just the tile on the wall that indicates a room for a kitchen exists. Even the sink you buy yourself! This does seem to be on the way out though and I am seeing more of what you are describing, which would be fine. I hate the tiny built in fridges (teenage son) and my last stove top was older than me (the kind with the metal covers over the plates).

On 1/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, TuringMachine said:

Same. 200k for a house sounds dirt cheap to me.

You might change your mind if you saw how little people get paid around these parts! ? Unless you start working in a supervisory position for Walmart, you could be SOL.

7 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

You what kitchen "trend" I wish would die out in Germany (at least there not sure if other European countries do this): the "you buy a kitchen for the apartment you are RENTING" trend. It has been like 13 years at this point and I am still not over the fact that rental apartments don't always come with a kitchen. It is getting better, but we are in the process of moving back to Germany (thanks Brexit, sort of) and I was again reminded of the fact that we may need to buy a kitchen for a place we don't intend to stay ? I would take an outdated or trendy kitchen or basic white (would love actually) for a few years over wasting my money. Ok sorry about the rant. I have been apartment hunting for weeks and it has built up. ❤️

When you buy a kitchen for your rental what happens when you move? Do you take it with you to the next place? That would be a MASSIVE PITA taking cabinets and all the appliances. Do Germans do the washing machine in the kitchen as well? So you'd have to buy that too. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Do Germans do the washing machine in the kitchen as well? 

Is that why there’s a washing machine in the kitchen in Peppa Pig? 

12 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Is that why there’s a washing machine in the kitchen in Peppa Pig

I believe Peppa Pig is British, and yes, a lot of British houses have washing mashine in the kitchen. 

My Dutch (former) roommate told me that in Netherlands, you have to buy flooring for where you rent. That got a bigger "um, what" than a kitchen. Luckily, when she moved back to Netherlands, she bought the floor and some random furniture from the previous people. It does seem like a weird arrangement that the tenants are stuck selling it off when they move. Presumably few people want to remove tile or hardwood or whatever when they move!

Weird feature of UK flats versus US apartments/homes: no light switches or outlets in the bathroom. I get that it's for safety, but it's super annoying if you want to blow-dry or heat style your hair, or if you're really drunk and can't find the damn light switch so you're not pooping in the dark! 

Also, I luuuuuurve having a washer/dryer in my flat. I had to haul all my laundry to the laundromat in New York (it was just two blocks, but when you have a giant load of laundry that feels like two miles), and now I just have to walk like three feet to my utility closet. It's so much better! 

17 minutes ago, Thorns said:

In Norway it is white everything. 

(Not completly true, but close enough.) 

Are we talking about people or appliances? : )

7 hours ago, Lisafer said:

You might change your mind if you saw how little people get paid around these parts! ? Unless you start working in a supervisory position for Walmart, you could be SOL.

Nah... three of the least affordable places in the entire world are in my immediate radius. They define affordablity by considering both average home price, and average income. Love the area, love my family, but it’s nuts.

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Are we talking about people or appliances? : )

Appliances, walls, ceilings, large parts of the interior, and right now the ground and sky! 

Luckily the people are starting to become somewhat diverse ;)

42 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Weird feature of UK flats versus US apartments/homes: no light switches or outlets in the bathroom.

Huh, is that true of all flats in the UK? I was just there in summer and can't remember. (I'm like 55% sure the Air BnB bathroom had an outlet because the owner provided a hairdryer.)

I always find it shocking when I hear housing prices in other areas. That would be about a 115,000-130,000 home in my area depending on exactly location, if there is acreage and the fixtures they used. Average price per square foot here is $70. I live in Upstate NY and we live in like some strange housing bubble. My 1501 square foot, 3 bedroom/2 bathroom home was 54, 000

25 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I always find it shocking when I hear housing prices in other areas. That would be about a 115,000-130,000 home in my area depending on exactly location, if there is acreage and the fixtures they used. Average price per square foot here is $70. I live in Upstate NY and we live in like some strange housing bubble. My 1501 square foot, 3 bedroom/2 bathroom home was 54, 000

It's so strange, isn't it? I have a friend whose relatives from California marvel at the size of her home! What she got for a good price would be completely unaffordable out near LA! 

I'm glad to be more rural because my kids can get outside and play every day in our large yard, and we see trees and woods and fields every day, along with wildlife. The disadvantages are that it's hard to find a job, and even harder to find one that pays enough to live on. 

4 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

It's so strange, isn't it? I have a friend whose relatives from California marvel at the size of her home! What she got for a good price would be completely unaffordable out near LA! 

I'm glad to be more rural because my kids can get outside and play every day in our large yard, and we see trees and woods and fields every day, along with wildlife. The disadvantages are that it's hard to find a job, and even harder to find one that pays enough to live on. 

Even in our state we have such crazy discrepancy in housing values, down near New York City it's so expensive I do not know how people live and support their families.  I mean people pay millions of dollars for an apartment in places in NYC. Millions for an apartment....

Where I live it's a nice mix of city and rural. There are a few large cities but all the outlying areas are rural so you can live in the country but a 15-20 minute drive be right in the city for shopping, entertainment or work purposes. There are some areas of our state that are less densely populated though and they literally live in the middle of nowhere. That is to rural for me :lol:

4 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

I like where I am right now. I have friends and family near by, and the political climate is close to my own views. But I dunno know if I want to live here when I have kids. For starters, the housing market is insane, especially after the fires. It also feels weird to think of having kids somewhere without snow.

I've been hardcore homesick for NJ the last few days. I want my pizza, taylor ham breakfast sandwiches, and broadway.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, I luuuuuurve having a washer/dryer in my flat. I had to haul all my laundry to the laundromat in New York (it was just two blocks, but when you have a giant load of laundry that feels like two miles), and now I just have to walk like three feet to my utility closet. It's so much better! 

Ugh! I agree! Especially in the winter!

45 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I like where I am right now. I have friends and family near by, and the political climate is close to my own views. But I dunno know if I want to live here when I have kids. For starters, the housing market is insane, especially after the fires. It also feels weird to think of having kids somewhere without snow.

I've been hardcore homesick for NJ the last few days. I want my pizza, taylor ham breakfast sandwiches, and broadway.

Not sure where you’re from in Jersey, but the housing market is insane here too. I feel like I’ll never own a home in this state (I’m probably near the southernmost point of “north jersey”). It can feel so hopeless sometimes. 

18 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Not sure where you’re from in Jersey, but the housing market is insane here too. I feel like I’ll never own a home in this state (I’m probably near the southernmost point of “north jersey”). It can feel so hopeless sometimes. 

I live in northern New Jersey. Houses here are so expensive. Particularly where I am because we have some of the best public schools in the state. They have been building a lot of condos in my area & they are being sold before they are even finished. 

I want you all to know that one of the fine gentlemen who works at my local weed store is the SPITTING IMAGE of Austin Forsyth, and it always blesses me greatly when he's the one to ring me up.  Plus he gives GREAT sativa joint recommendations.  

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Sounds like we're from about the same area. So the house prices wouldn't be better. But I would get back snow, pizza, bagels, and broadway. ?

4 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I want you all to know that one of the fine gentlemen who works at my local weed store is the SPITTING IMAGE of Austin Forsyth, and it always blesses me greatly when he's the one to ring me up.  Plus he gives GREAT sativa joint recommendations.  

They say we all have a doppelganger :lol: Budtender and house flipping hardcore fundie. I love it.

17 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

My Dutch (former) roommate told me that in Netherlands, you have to buy flooring for where you rent. That got a bigger "um, what" than a kitchen. Luckily, when she moved back to Netherlands, she bought the floor and some random furniture from the previous people. It does seem like a weird arrangement that the tenants are stuck selling it off when they move. Presumably few people want to remove tile or hardwood or whatever when they move!

This is true. I currently live in subsidized housing*, so rental, and my appartment came without flooring. My rental agreement also states that I have to remove all the flooring when I move. So even if the next tenant would be interested in taking over my flooring, per my rental agreement that would not be possible. It was possible in the place I lived before this. The girl that took over my room also took over my flooring. Whether or not the next tenant can take over your flooring really depends on your contract, but it is the norm here that rental apartments are handed over to the tenants completely 'bare', so to speak.
When I moved into this appartment the kitchen had a sink and two cupboards (white). I had to buy all other appliances, and I also bought extra cupboards because two wasn't enough. My washing machine is in the kitchen as well.

*These are rental apartments or houses specifically for low-income households. The government determines the maximum amount of rent that housing companies are allowed to ask for these houses (which is around 720 euros per month, excluding utilities). 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived