IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 12: Usual Duggar Social Media and Drift

HerNameIsBuffy

Just now, HideousGreenShirt said:

Please do! 

I had a school nurse who without fail and regardless of what your complaint was, would give you a single paracetamol and send you on your way. 

Period pain? Paracetamol. Heatstroke? Paracetamol. Passing out from your eating disorder*? Paracetamol. Bleeding from band saw accident? Paracetamol. Vomiting and diarrhea? Paracetamol. Sports injury? Paracetamol. 

*It was an all girls boarding school and eating disorders were sadly very common. 

I'm starting to wonder if school nurses have different requirements than hospital nurses, lol. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely went to my school nurse, but the one time I remember going I had a migraine bad enough I couldn't figure out what my last name was, only the first letter or two. She somehow figured it out and called my parents to take me home. I am still grateful years later that she managed that.

2 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm starting to wonder if school nurses have different requirements than hospital nurses, lol. 

At the very large public school district my  mother worked in for 22 years, they only had about ten school nurses rotating one day a week between 40 buildings or so. Daily stuff was handled by a "health paraprofessional" who was basically anyone they hired that was willing to do CPR training. My aunt had that job in a school for awhile. Her only post secondary education was a one year secretarial training course (early 1960s). Most of them that worked in my mom's building during her time there only had a HS education. 

It's possible that some of you dealt with "nurses" at school who were not nurses at all. 

@HideousGreenShirt Here's a short list I can recall of other things MiL has blamed on allegedly having my period: 

Not sleeping well while my dad was in hospice care

Gastritis (that I've basically had since birth)

Knee pain from an injury in which I sprained two ligaments

Issues related to my hereditary retinal disease including vitreous degeneration, light flashes and light sensitivity.

All seasonal allergies

Trigger finger and tendinitis in my wrist which I aggravated when moving

Most colds

Sinus infections

And things I've heard her blame on it for her daughter: 

Pink eye

A stye

Being tired when she only got four hours of sleep in a night

Stomach flu

Actual flu

Shoulder pain when she hurt herself doing yoga

Dry skin in winter

Sore feet back when she had a job on her feet all day

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

At the very large public school district my  mother worked in for 22 years, they only had about ten school nurses rotating one day a week between 40 buildings or so. Daily stuff was handled by a "health paraprofessional" who was basically anyone they hired that was willing to do CPR training. My aunt had that job in a school for awhile. Her only post secondary education was a one year secretarial training course (early 1960s). Most of them that worked in my mom's building during her time there only had a HS education. 

It's possible that some of you dealt with "nurses" at school who were not nurses at all. 

@HideousGreenShirt Here's a short list I can recall of other things MiL has blamed on allegedly having my period: 

Not sleeping well while my dad was in hospice care

Gastritis (that I've basically had since birth)

Knee pain from an injury in which I sprained two ligaments

Issues related to my hereditary retinal disease including vitreous degeneration, light flashes and light sensitivity.

All seasonal allergies

Trigger finger and tendinitis in my wrist which I aggravated when moving

Most colds

Sinus infections

And things I've heard her blame on it for her daughter: 

Pink eye

A stye

Being tired when she only got four hours of sleep in a night

Stomach flu

Actual flu

Shoulder pain when she hurt herself doing yoga

Dry skin in winter

Sore feet back when she had a job on her feet all day

Is your MiL a doctor in Kansas? 

I am late to the game and only now watching the wedding.

Lauren and her family come off as super fundie.

Lauren has been trained to submit as she keeps calling on Josiah’s “leadership” qualities.

Does anyone know what Lauren’s father does for a living? Their home looks fancy for a fundie. 

At the schools I went to after age 14, we didn't have a school nurse. I wouldn't even know what to use them for. If you got ill while at school, you went home/went to your room in case of boarding school. If you had pain, you took painkillers that you brought from home. 

At 6-14 we had a health visitor working at the school, who would weigh us and measure our heights once a year. She also met with all the girls once to talk about periods. 

When I was in PA school, one time I went to the nurse practitioner at the school's health clinic because I had been coughing for a month.  I wasn't allowed to see the PA or the MD at the clinic because they were also my professors.  The NP listened to my chest and told me it was clear, even though I had heard wheezing when I listened to my chest (I was a PA student- of course I was going to auscultate my own chest.)  When she was writing her note she said "so it hasn't been quite two weeks?"  I said "no- like I told you, I've been coughing for a month."  She responded, "okay, so I'm going to put down here that it's been less than two weeks."  In other words, she deliberately falsified medical records, which is against the law.   The NP told me that i just had a cold and I should use cough drop.  Yeah thanks, like I hadn't thought of that.

I went to my own doctor when I could finally fit it into my schedule a few days later.  A chest x-ray revealed pneumonia, and the antibiotics the doctor prescribed cleared up the infection.  If someone has been coughing for more than two weeks, you start them on antibiotics because at that point it is probably bacterial.  That is what I had explained to the NP, but she wouldn't prescribe any antibiotics.  I complained about the NP's negligence to my school, but they ignored my complaints just like they ignored my complaints about everything else.

14 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I have bad experiences with female gyns. There whole attitude was "suck it up buttercup, all women have cramps". I finally saw a male gyn. Got a correct diagnosis of endometriosis. Unfortunately, by that time, the only cure was a hysterectomy. Two large endometromas (one on each ovary) and a uterus that was scarred beyond repair. So, no, female gyns are not inheirently better than male doctors. Having said that, my primary care doctor is a woman, and I like her.

OMG THIS!  I've seen 3 female GYNs over the years and I won't see another one, all of them told me I was fat and that there wasn't anything they could do for me. I'm like UM what? I want to not get pregnant so... fat girls can't take birth control?  The last one that did it I threw a HISSY FIT in the doctors office and filed a complaint with the medical review board.  I have endometriosis and had been having horrific cramps and pain and was still bleeding a year after having my IUD put in. I wanted it out, she just sat there and berated me for being over weight and there was no way to do anything because they could properly examine me, I stood up started getting dressed screamed at her "GET OUT OF HERE YOU FUCKING CUNT!  I JUST WANTED YOU TO REMOVE MY IUD BECUASE IT IS CAUSING ME ISSUES, I KNOW I'M FAT THIS ISN'T NEWS TO ME SO FUCK YOU FUCK YOUR LOUSY BED SIDE MANOR AN FUCK THIS PLACE." when I finished dressing I demanded my $40 copay back and was screaming at all the staff at what fucking CUNT that doctor was 4 other doctors came out of offices to see what was going on, I told them all I was unhappy with my IUD and wanted it removed and that VAPID little CUNT told me I was a disgusting fat fuck and couldn't help me because of it. So FUCK ALL OF YOU, I'm filing a complaint against this place and you'll be hearing from my lawyers. 

Oh yeah it was over the top, but I was in pain and had had enough, I'm seriously sick of doctors telling me nothing is wrong with me only because I'm  fat.  Really? fat women don't get strep throat, fat women don't get the flu? Umm I broke my arm in a car accident dose that not happen because I'm fat? I had another female doctor blow me off when I found a lump in my breast, again because I was over weight. Female doctors treat fat women like they are a blight on society I won't see one, ever again.

Oh yeah and I should haven't been to the GYN in 5 years, I still have the IUD in and it should have come out a year and a 1/2 ago. I'm too embarrassed to go back to one, I'm sure they will too just tell me I'm a fat fuck and to go lose weight. no need to get naked and be lectured and pay $40 for that.

I went to an elementary school from 1st through 4th grade that did not have a nurse.  As someone who is a klutz - any time I scraped my knee and needed a bandaid and mercurochrome it was the school janitor that handled it.  (1970 through 1974 small town Kansas)

We never had nurses in school here. Teachers or the office had bandaids and such on hand. If it was anything more serious you went home, or I suppose to the doctor or hospital.

In elementary school, I remember going to the nurse for a stomach ache, or my head hurt, or I scraped my knee and needed a band aid. Her go to was always:

image.png.e0b0ebad23c380597c2262222e07ba9e.png

No nurses in my elementary or high school in my day. I remember one time I sprained  my wrist  gym, a teacher had to drive me to the hospital which was thankfully very close by.  

One day I was sitting at my kitchen table drinking coffee with a friend when my oldest daughter came in from school and I screamed.  Why?  Because my daughter had two black eyes, one of which was swollen shut, and a huge bump on her nose.  She also had dried blood all over her shirt.  Thank God my friend was there so she could watch my other child and I could take my daughter to the doctor.  

It turned out that my daughter had fallen off a piece of playground equipment during the first morning recess and landed on pavement, breaking her nose.  My child went through the whole day with a broken nose, covered in blood, and no one thought I should know about it.  

The next day I went to the principal and asked him why I hadn't been called.  The fact that he knew what I was there for before I even explained it to him told me that he knew about it and was in damage control mode.  He tried to tell me they'd called and I wasn't home.  I most certainly was home all day, but if I wasn't, why didn't they call my husband?  He had no idea.  He said that injuries on the playground were handled by whatever teacher was on duty at the time and apparently that teacher didn't feel that a broken nose needed to be reported to me.  

I was livid, and to this day I get pissed all over again just thinking about it.  But my husband wasn't on board with making more of a fuss or asking the school to pay for damages because he worked for the school district and was worried that he'd lose his job if we continued 'making a fuss'.  I'm still mad at myself that I allowed myself to be talked out of it.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:27 PM, Sky with diamonds said:

I had some pea soup for my dinner.

I'd love the recipe, FeedJinger?

As a kid, a popular mean girl stomped on my fingers to make me fall off the monkey dome. I broke my arm, but weirdly was too embarrassed to tell any adult, because her mom was the school nurse/ front office lady. My dad noticed on the weekend, but by then they had to break my arm again to get it set correctly. Same arm I just got stitches in on Thanksgiving with no numbing agent, sitting on the same bunk bed I told my dad about my arm. I'm 30, so those mattresses really, really should be thrown out.

8 hours ago, Flossie said:

One day I was sitting at my kitchen table drinking coffee with a friend when my oldest daughter came in from school and I screamed.  Why?  Because my daughter had two black eyes, one of which was swollen shut, and a huge bump on her nose.  She also had dried blood all over her shirt.  Thank God my friend was there so she could watch my other child and I could take my daughter to the doctor.  

It turned out that my daughter had fallen off a piece of playground equipment during the first morning recess and landed on pavement, breaking her nose.  My child went through the whole day with a broken nose, covered in blood, and no one thought I should know about it.  

The next day I went to the principal and asked him why I hadn't been called.  The fact that he knew what I was there for before I even explained it to him told me that he knew about it and was in damage control mode.  He tried to tell me they'd called and I wasn't home.  I most certainly was home all day, but if I wasn't, why didn't they call my husband?  He had no idea.  He said that injuries on the playground were handled by whatever teacher was on duty at the time and apparently that teacher didn't feel that a broken nose needed to be reported to me.  

I was livid, and to this day I get pissed all over again just thinking about it.  But my husband wasn't on board with making more of a fuss or asking the school to pay for damages because he worked for the school district and was worried that he'd lose his job if we continued 'making a fuss'.  I'm still mad at myself that I allowed myself to be talked out of it.

That's insane! In every job I've had working with kids we need to inform the parents of ANY injury involving the head (immediate phone call) or requiring a bandaid, even something like scratching off a mosquito bite. Usually if we put a new bandaid on something existing we wouldn't worry about it (unless we knew the parent would care and want to know). Some parents got annoyed by needing to hear every little thing, but when something like running into a pole developed into a HUGE bruise parents were glad to have the phone call so it wasn't a big surprise when they see their child with a massive lump on his head. 

9 hours ago, Flossie said:

As a parent, receiving a "don't be alarmed, but..." phonecall is pretty awful, but the thought of not receiving one when something happens is just so much worse. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. :( 

I know.  I hated that school district, and was so glad when we moved out of it.  My husband, (now my ex) still works for them and even he admits that they're awful now, although when he first went to work for them they were good to work for.  So I have both good and bad stories to tell about them.

@Flossie HOLY SHIT!  That is inexcusable. As someone who's broken her nose a couple times that it  is PAINFUL too.  I was in 8th grade when I broke my nose (for the 2nd time) it was afterschool but at school, during basket ball practice, the school bully was mad at me and shoved me face first into the gym floor, it was a mess, there was blood everywhere, I remember being light headed and wobbly after it happened. I was lucky that I had braces at the time as well or the fall would have knocked out my two front teeth. BOTH my parents were called right away. One of the teachers at school was also a volunteer paramedic/firefighter and he was brought into the gym to look at me to see if they needed to call an ambulance.  We had a school nurse but she had just left for the day, but there was enough other help around we didn't need her. My dad worked from home saw was there in just a few minutes and took me downtown to the hospital. A broken nose isn't a pretty injury and can also have a secondary head injury and should be examined ASAP.

I was X-rayed and checked for a concussion and was in the ER for several hours. The next day was spent at the dentist to ensure my teeth would heal properly or if they needed to do anything else to keep them in place.  I would have sued the SHIT out of that school district, I can't believe your husband didn't want to make waves, I get it but my dad would have burned the school down if they did that with me and I would have as well.   

As for the girl who shoved me, she was kicked off the BB team and given a 3 day in school suspension and was expelled finally during 9th grade for her continued behavior.

23 hours ago, singsingsing said:

We never had nurses in school here. Teachers or the office had bandaids and such on hand. If it was anything more serious you went home, or I suppose to the doctor or hospital.

Neither did we. The only time we saw a nurse was when the Public Health Nurse came in to give vaccinates, teach us about periods and puberty, and some Sex Ed.

I was home with my parents a few years back, got quite sick and after throwing up, I passed out. An ambulance was called because I was so dizzy that I couldn't see straight, went to the local hospital, where I passed out on the Xray guy. The doctor came in and said that I had some sort of stomach virus. His next comment was "I would say you have ulcers, but you're too young." I quite calmly explained that my Dad had most of his stomach removed in his early 20s due to ulcers and that my brother had nearly died from an ulcer at the age of 17. He didn't pay attention to that and said "No a stomach bug, we will put you on fluids and send you home." My Dad was raging, but there was nothing that we could do.

Two days later, I made an appointment with another doctor in that same hospital at an outpatient clinic. Turned out to be the original doctor's wife. I was so dizzy and weak that my Dad was holding me up. We talked about blood being involved and her husband, the original doctor was the one who would have to admit me to the ER to see if I would need to be sent on to a larger centre. I was sitting on the bed and I could hear them arguing, he thought that there was no way and he was sticking with it. She insisted that he at least take me to the ER and do bloodwork. Blood work was done and when the results came back, the nurse in there ran to match blood to me to transfuse me. I had lost a lot of blood in that time period.

I haven't had any issues since then, but god a lot of trouble could have been saved if he didn't insist that he was right.

@Carm_88 that is another big problem, doctors refusing to admit they made a mistake. Or won't consider something because it is "out side the norm".  I LOVE my doctor he listens to me, if I suggest something he'll "Why not?" For example I had been having kidney stones over the last several years and they were trying to figure out what was causing my issues, the general surgeon I saw just wanted to "wait and see" the urologist was concerned about kidney damage, but they were fine at the time and was OK with waiting like the GS said.  I had been talking to a friend of mine who suggested the next time I saw a doctor to have my parathyroid (PTH) tested along with my calcium. I had an appointment with my primary for a routine check up he was ordering the standard labs and stuff, I mentioned the PTH & calcium and he just shrugged and  said it can't hurt to check them, I'll order them as well.  He could have argued with me that it was unnecessary or he could have blown me off, but he was like , I'm already getting blood what is a few more tests.  And low and behold my PTH levels were off the charts, they were so high that it sent my doctor, and my urologist into a panic and I was recalled to the doctors office ASAP for more testing and scheduled with an ENT later that same week. When I had done all the testing and met with the ENT, he walked into the room and said "Ok we'll do surgery on Tuesday (it was Friday) I'm like what surgery what is going on. He said you PTH and CA levels are 6 to 10 x normal and if you keep going at the rate you will be in kidney failure by the end of the year (It was August) . So I had my parathyroid out, on my birthday, that year, I joked at the time that for my 41st birthday I got my throat cut open. Not the best birthday I'd ever had, bad sadly not the worst.  

Anyway, the TL;DR point to this story is, you have to be your own advocate, or your childs, because too many doctors see too many patients and they are all just numbers to them after a while and it is like the patients become an assembly line and you just get the basic stuff unless you make a fuss and someone stops the line to pay attention to the "trouble maker".

A few years back I was having heavier than normal periods & they were coming every other week. I told my Dr. and he told me that it was pre-menopause (I was in my mid 30's). I, naively, believed him. It got worse and worse until finally I had a period that lasted 6 months straight (no lie) he kept telling me that I was fine and that I was panicking for nothing....it was just pre-menopause. I finally got to a point where I was wearing depends because no tampon or pad could hold everything in because I was bleeding so heavy and it just wasn't stopping. I ended up going to the emergency room cuz I was scared that I was going to bleed to death. I ended up having a huge fibroid in my uterus and needing blood transfusions and a hysterectomy. Needless to say I never went back to that Dr. 

Reading these stories makes me pretty grateful for the great care I’ve gotten throughout my life. The only scary/bad stories I can remember are:

- I broke my wrist falling off icy playground equipment in fourth grade. The school did call my parents and did what they should have done in the moment. And I received great care too - the Doctor had treated my sister’s broken arm a few years before and remembered I mentioned liking teddy bears, so he gave me a teddy bear cast. 

The problem happened when I went back to school. My teacher had to take me to see the Principal, who interviewed me without a parent present. He wasn't mean about it or anything, but my parents were (rightfully) beyond livid - not with my teacher, who was in an uncomfortable position, but with the Principal who should have known better. They ended up suing the school and the District agreed to pay the medical costs.

- I’ve mentioned this next story before, but my daughter received the wrong breast milk during her NICU stay. It was a true accident by the Nurse caring for the two babies overnight and they informed us almost immediately. The poor Nurse was in tears because she was that horrified and upset. Luckily the babies were both fine. The other mom and I had to have extra bloodwork done just to be sure we didn’t have any diseases, but that all came back clear. It could have been so much worse and we’re very grateful it wasn’t. The worst part about the bloodwork was that it had to be taken from my hand though - I had had so much bloodwork and IVs in my arms that they couldn’t poke me in either of them at that point. Hurt like hell, but I was happy to give the other parents peace of mind. 

As I recall it, my experience with the nurse in elementary-middle school was just to access someone who could call your mom to pick you up. Once I had a cell phone the nurse was obsolete as I could just text my mom directly. Lol

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived