IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 12: Usual Duggar Social Media and Drift

HerNameIsBuffy

Do any of you fine FJers have experience with the menstrual cup? I'm working a job where it's hard to get away every couple of hours to change a pad or tampon, and my flow is usually pretty heavy. I've heard mostly good things about the cup, but some bad, and was wondering if any of y'all had any opinions. Obviously the cup is reusable, so no waste, and it pays for itself after a couple of months.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@roadkill_deity I used a menstrual cup for the first time during my last period, and I had a good experience with it. I'm definitely going to use it again during my next period. It does take some practice, so I used pads as a back up in case I hadn't inserted the cup right and I would leak, but that only happend the first day I tried. The first time the cup didn't unfold correctly, so I looked up some tips how to check whether it's unfolded correctly and after that first time I had no problem inserting it correctly and getting it to unfold correctly. I used a little bit of lube to make inserting it easier (the website I ordered my cup from gave this as a tip) and I will say that that really helped. The only thing that was a bit more difficult for me personally was removing the cup, but I think that just takes practice and will probably become easier with every period.  
I also had a really bad cold and was sneezing and couging constantly, and the cup held perfectly!

I’ve used a menstrual cup for a little over two years and I can honestly say that it has improved my life significantly. Before I started using it I would always have to plan my bathroom breaks that week during the month and would be very aware of the fact that I was menstruating, but now I even forget I’m on my period some days - it’s just a week among any other week.

I did have a leak once during the first times I tried it, but that was due to it not unfolding properly, not that the flow was too heavy. I have quite heavy flows day two and three, but I’ve found I still don’t need to empty the cup more often than twice a day.

In my case, I really wish I would’ve bought mine sooner, because it has had such an impact on my life.

ETA: I have heard stories of women who’ve tried a menstrual cup, couldn’t get to work, but then tried a cup from another brand and have it work perfectly. And stories of women who’ve tried several brands and never feel really comfortable with them, so it really comes down to what works for you and your body.

I started using a cup about 2 1/2 years ago. How it works for me, I never know from month to month. But I only use it for days 1-3, and since I found the Wuka underwear, pretty much it's a back-up for if my period starts unexpectedly when I'm out and about. Or for swimming. Definitely the lesser evil than tampons. But since I've gone re-useable(that journey started 3 years ago) my periods have been lighter, so I almost never needed to empty the cup; I put it in before work and take it out before bed(which covers the 12-hours that it can stay in) and it pretty much stays. Sometimes I need to re-adjust it when I go to the bathroom, though.

I am also a cup user for about a year now and I really love it. I plan on staying with it for a while.

I have to change it more often in during day one and two, because I have had leaks. That is usually the sign the cup is full. I usually put it on in the morning before going to work, then I have to empty it at lunch break. But after day one and two, I can easily leave it in for a good 12h without leaking. The only challenge I find when I have to empty it somewhere else than at home: not making a mess! The first few months, it was awful. Like a murder scene. I'd spent a ton of time in the bathroom, just cleaning up the blood on the floor. But I got better at it, really! It is kind of weird to describe, but I understood what angle was better in order to take it out safely without spilling blood everywhere.

I also use mine at night and it has made my mornings so much nicer. I move a lot in my sleep, to the point that even night pads were not helpful. And I didn't like wearing tampons. Now I wake up with no leaks whatsoever and I feel clean. Wonderful.

I bought the DivaCup and the little stem was really uncomfortable at first. I have no idea if all cups have it. But for me it was really irritating. The cup was fine, but I felt the little stem rubbing all day. It was bad. I found you can either push the cup a bit further in, that way the stem is not near the labia. But in the end, I ended up cutting it. Simply because I don't use it much to remove the cup. I found that pulling the stem made it even harder, because it would create suction. So cutting it just cleared out that problem.

Hope you try it and enjoy it. It is not for everyone but if it is good for you, then it can really make your period easier.

All right, so I'll offer the dissenting opinion: I tried the cup and I hated it. I found it awkward, messy, and annoying. There is a learning curve, and I'm sure if I had stuck with it I would've gotten the hang of it, but I just had no desire to put myself through that annoyance any longer when I was perfectly happy with pads. But that's the thing, I was having no issues with pads and I only decided to try the diva cup because I heard all the glowing reviews about it. I should've stuck with what worked. But if what you're doing isn't working for you, it's definitely worth it to try. I think I'm for sure in the minority re: menstrual cup opinions/experiences.

I've used a cup for over a decade. It's great. Highly recommend. I've used several different brands and fit, particularly after having kids. I need backup liners for heavy days, if I'm not going to be able to change it often (I use cloth pads). I don't like it for night though. 

I’ve been using a Diva Cup for almost two and a half years now, and it was the best purchase I’ve ever made!  My periods in my teenage years were brutal. They were extremely heavy and crampy, and I routinely took two days off of work and school each cycle. My cycles also weren’t very predictable which left me very anxious about when it was going to start.   I also had no warning about when it was going to start, which meant I was wearing pads almost every day in the week leading up to when I figured it would start. 

These days I have about a day and a half of spotting before the heaviness starts, so I like the fact that I can put in the cup and leave it in so that when the flow starts, I don’t have to rush to the bathroom (not always possible when you work in childcare!!). Also, for the past several cycles, my flow has been starting in the middle of the night and I don’t realize it until morning. The cup has saved many sets of sheets!!

Of course it was a bit of a learning curve in the beginning, but after the second cycle I didn’t have to worry about leaks, and I figured out a technique so I don’t make a giant mess when I empty it. Like @Vivi_music I cut off the stem as I just found it annoying. 

Overall I would highly recommend!   But of course each woman is different and it may take trying several different cups before finding one that works for you. 

Definitely a learning curve to menstrual cups and definitely a reason why there are so many cups and brands out there. Unfortunately, they aren't the cheapest thing in the world to try out a lot of them. The learning curve also makes it difficult to know whether or not it isn't the right cup for you. 

I started with Diva Cup because it was the biggest name. Leaked here and there, nothing crazy but I attribute that to user error. But I ALWAYS felt it. Putting it in was painful. I really didn't love it and three or four cycles later just got rid of it. 

Took a few months off and tried the LENA cup. Much better experience, rare leaks, couldn't feel it AT ALL, but big problem I virtually couldn't pee with it in. The rim was a firmer silicone and it just didn't work with my anatomy and seemed to be pressing right onto the urethra or something internally clamping it down. LENA makes a sensitive version with a softer silicone but the reviews are mixed as far as it not being firm enough and therefore causing leaks so I did a whole lot for research, decided against it, and ended up with the FemmyCycle.

FemmyCycle is scary looking at first glance, but it eliminates virtually all user error because it's the only cup that doesn't need to open up fully and create that perfect seal. It's for sure my Goldilocks cup but if I gave up with the Diva Cup I never would have gotten here.

If you are not a squeamish person and unbothered by period blood, I HIGHLY recommend itsjustkelli on youtube. She chronicles trying out just about all of the major cup brands and her likes and dislikes. She's brutally honest and she's where I found the FemmyCycle and I'm never going back. She will show the cups in all their glory when emptying, so yes there is blood but I freaking love her for normalizing a bodily function. 

I had problems with the moon cup a few years ago, bought a different brand I plan on trying next period, I also mostly use reusable pads now. Once the current stash of disposable pads and tampons runs out, I will not be buying them again. 

1 hour ago, Casserole said:

If you are not a squeamish person and unbothered by period blood, I HIGHLY recommend itsjustkelli on youtube. She chronicles trying out just about all of the major cup brands and her likes and dislikes. She's brutally honest and she's where I found the FemmyCycle and I'm never going back. She will show the cups in all their glory when emptying, so yes there is blood but I freaking love her for normalizing a bodily function. 

I agree! She's very open and honest about them (good or bad) If I remember correctly she does warn you that you are about to see real period blood so if you don't want to see it she gives you the opportunity to skip all that and still get her thoughts on the cup. I, too, highly recommend her you tube channel.

I'm also on the menstrual cup bandwagon. I started with a Diva Cup that I liked but later moved to a Super Jennie which I absolutely love.

I love my cup! I started with one that didn't work for me at all, it was a mess. Leaky, painful, ended up leaving me irritated for a few days afterwards. I tried again a few months later (my flow gets light at the end, tampons scratch to get out, I can't wear pads, and I think it's too much blood for thinx (personal squeamishness about blood in the washer)) and found one that's GREAT for me. My cramps are much less painful without tampons, plus it's so convenient. I dont need to bring anything to the bathroom with me, the cup is already inside of me!

It definitely has a learning curve though, I'd recommend trying it at first when you're at home for the day if possible. I also wouldn't switch unless youre willing to invest in multiple to find one that works and deal with some hassle and bloody messes figuring it out. Mine doesn't last a full 12 hours on my heavier days, I need to change after about 6, but you can just empty and not fully clean it if that works better with your bathroom situation at work/out and about, as long as you clean it later. Apparently mine sits so my cervix sits in the cup, which slightly decreases the capacity.

I found some charts online, I can't remember where, near the top of a Google search comparing cup sizes, capacity, etc. I'd highly recommend looking at something similar (especially to compare if your first cup doesn't work, the first one I tried was too soft so I looked for something firmer) as well as looking at multiple reviews of the specific cup you think may work for you. 

I have pelvic pain and the cup was a nightmare for me. Trying to take it out was just too painful. I like the idea a lot though. 

I’ve been using a menstrual cup for a few years now and love it. I started with the Divacup since it’s the easiest to get in the US but I now use my Lena that Bryony from Precious Stars Pads designed most of the time. I also have a small and large from Rebel Kate but those are cheaper made and softer (which causes it not to fully open sometimes).

Like others said there is a learning curve. Before buying you need to know if you have a high or low cervix. Some cups are longer and work better with a high cervix. A Divacup or Lilycup is usually better for a high cervix whereas a Lena cup is shorter. I recommend checking out Bryony from Precious Stars Pads on YouTube. She discusses a lot of menstration issues, cloth pads, and reviews and compares a wide range of cup brands. 

I've had a hard time using my cup since having an episiotomy and I miss it so much (I can get it in and wear it all day just fine but it hurts like a bitch taking it out). Tampons dry me out so much its painful and pads are just so annoying- I hate the constant wet feeling and how wasteful they are. I've thought about doing cloth pads but haven't pulled the trigger on investing in them yet. Anyway, best advice I can give to cup newbies is to try inserting it and taking it out in the shower so that way you are relaxed and if you spill no biggie. Also, squatting makes it much easier to remove the cup. My cup recommendation is the blossom cup on Amazon- its so soft, flexible, and only like $13/14.

My period is so erratic and flow so weird (yet never crazy heavy) even with the pill ? I have invested in approximately 25 pairs of Bali thigh cut black seamless undies and am going to remain an ob gal to the end. I use itch cream (fun times!) for the periodic dryness.

16 hours ago, Netflix&Grading said:

I’ve been using a menstrual cup for a few years now and love it. I started with the Divacup since it’s the easiest to get in the US but I now use my Lena that Bryony from Precious Stars Pads designed most of the time. I also have a small and large from Rebel Kate but those are cheaper made and softer (which causes it not to fully open sometimes).

Like others said there is a learning curve. Before buying you need to know if you have a high or low cervix. Some cups are longer and work better with a high cervix. A Divacup or Lilycup is usually better for a high cervix whereas a Lena cup is shorter. I recommend checking out Bryony from Precious Stars Pads on YouTube. She discusses a lot of menstration issues, cloth pads, and reviews and compares a wide range of cup brands. 

How do you find that out?

54 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

How do you find that out?

Here is a video of Bryony from precious stars explaining it.

Spoiler

There’s a Youtuber out there named Safiya Nygaard that has a series on testing different items for your period (the cup, special yoga pants, special underwear, a special swimsuit). I personally prefer tampons but the videos are interesting just to see the different ideas that are now out there. 

3 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

There’s a Youtuber out there named Safiya Nygaard that has a series on testing different items for your period (the cup, special yoga pants, special underwear, a special swimsuit). I personally prefer tampons but the videos are interesting just to see the different ideas that are now out there. 

I enjoy her videos, too. 

I watch Safiya's videos as well! In fact, it was her video that inspired me to look into menstrual cups. Thank you all again for the advice. I think I'm going to try the cup. If it doesn't work out, no big deal.

There are also 'quizzes' out there that you can take to see which brand could be a good fit for you. I took a Dutch quiz (cupkiezer, for any Dutchies interested), which asks questions about the intensity of your flow, whether or not you've given birth, what menstrual products you normally use etc. Some brands only have two standard sizes, one for those who haven't given birth and one for those who have given birth vaginally, but there are also brands with a lot of different sizes, material, and different gradients of softness/hardness. For instance, I have a German brand cup (MeLuna) that also has cups specifically for people who exercise a lot (or people with very strong pelvic muscles), the idea being that when you exercise a lot your pelvic muscles are stronger which means you need a cup that isn't too soft. Hence, the material of those cups is harder. They also have smaller cups for people whose flow is usually on the lighter side (I have one of those), and bigger ones for people with a very heavy flow. And there are a lot of brands out there like this one, that have a lot of different cups to cater to more specific needs. So if you've tried a brand which has only two options, and you didn't like those options but you would still like to use a cup, you might want to try a brand which has more diverse options.

Thanks @Marly, I've wanted to try using cups for a while but was reluctant because I don't have a lot of money to try out different ones. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived