IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 12: Usual Duggar Social Media and Drift

HerNameIsBuffy

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the game of Life! I just saw in target they now have a version with pets. Of course, now I just play SIMS.

update on the bedroom situation: I went to the doctor because something just wasn’t right and had bloodwork done, and it turns out I’m both anemic and have low free testosterone so....yay me?!

But actually I’m relieved because this explains my absolute lack of libido and trouble getting things going down there. I’m going to switch from bc pills to an IUD (I’m thinking Skyla, willing to hear anecdotes or advice) and get an iron supplement and this could help with the sex issues, anxiety, and fatigue I’ve been experiencing. While things will take a few months to resolve, I am relieved there is a probable medical cause and things I can do. It’s been really hard on hubby and I. Thanks for listening and for all your advice and we will still have to take it slow.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:23 AM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Is Jill close to any sibs outside her buddy team?

Josiah wasn't in her buddy team.

@neurogirl I'm so glad you've got some answers! I can tell you that when I was anemic and started treating it, it was like night and day. I felt so much better!

Life was banned at my old library because a few teens got too into it and one of them knocked the whole game board over and sent all those little people scattering. 

9 hours ago, neurogirl said:

I’m going to switch from bc pills to an IUD (I’m thinking Skyla, willing to hear anecdotes or advice)

Holy shit IUDs are the BEST. You don't have to remember to take a pill at a certain time, which for a forgetful, anxious wreck like me, took a massive weight off of my shoulders. I have Kyleena, but I can't imagine any of the hormonal IUDs would be too different. The only thing that's a little weird about them is that they really mess with your cycle. On the pill, periods come like clockwork - IUDs make them super irregular, skip, or stop entirely. So that stressed me out at first, and I definitely took a few tests to be sure I wasn't the >1% failure rate, (all negative, praise Rufus), but it's just a side  effect to get used to.

Also, before you go, take some of your preferred painkillers. Getting it inserted was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life - not blindingly painful, but like someone was just knocking on my cervix for a few minutes. Not as painful as childbirth, though, so hey, worth it.

12 hours ago, neurogirl said:

I love the game of Life! I just saw in target they now have a version with pets. Of course, now I just play SIMS.

update on the bedroom situation: I went to the doctor because something just wasn’t right and had bloodwork done, and it turns out I’m both anemic and have low free testosterone so....yay me?!

But actually I’m relieved because this explains my absolute lack of libido and trouble getting things going down there. I’m going to switch from bc pills to an IUD (I’m thinking Skyla, willing to hear anecdotes or advice) and get an iron supplement and this could help with the sex issues, anxiety, and fatigue I’ve been experiencing. While things will take a few months to resolve, I am relieved there is a probable medical cause and things I can do. It’s been really hard on hubby and I. Thanks for listening and for all your advice and we will still have to take it slow.

I recently got a Mirena and I love it!! The insertion and a few days after were quite painful, and I've had a lot of spotting (very small amounts of blood, but annoying), but it's just such a relief to know I dont have to remember the pills and I can't mess it up and get pregnant. Plus, it's likely to make my periods stop (have not had one yet!). I would plan to have the rest of the day at home with a heat pack and bring your husband or close friend to hold your hand during the procedure if you're uncomfortable with vaginal exams--its pretty intense. I did get some thinx panties and those have made the spotting much less worrisome/annoying. My concern is that I can't control my period to make sure I dont have it during big events where it would be annoying, but hopefully it will be light enough not to be too much of a concern (my periods on their own leave my vomiting in the fetal position for the first day or two). I'd also recommend going to a dr you trust with good bedside manner to make the insertion easier for you.

Sorry for the word vomit, I hope some of this helps!

I'm always glad to hear from people who've had good experiences with IUDs. I'm thinking of getting one down the road. I've heard the horror stories about complications, but hey, if something happens I can always just go and get it taken out. I have a fairly high pain/discomfort tolerance and am okay when it comes to dealing with medical procedures like that, so I'm hoping that I can handle the insertion. Not sure about the hormonal vs. copper... I don't like hormones, but the IUD is supposed to be very mild/localized, whereas I've heard the copper IUD makes your periods heavier, longer and more painful which I definitely do not want.

All the IUD talk reminds me of this pic. The <1%.  It makes me laugh every time it makes its way through social media. 

Spoiler

37EED40D-1119-4568-9C9D-2D8FBAC47959.jpeg.3c7ce66737e12d5a18d002cd873acbea.jpeg

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

@neurogirl I'm so glad you've got some answers! I can tell you that when I was anemic and started treating it, it was like night and day. I felt so much better!

I agree! I was anemic, to the point I had to get blood transfusions, and I will never ever forget how GOOD I felt walking out of the hospital after the transfusion! Seriously, I felt better that quickly! Sometimes you don't realize just how poorly you feel until you feel better. I'm really glad that you were able to get some answers so you have somewhere to start with this!!! Good luck with everything!

3 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I recently got a Mirena and I love it!! The insertion and a few days after were quite painful, and I've had a lot of spotting (very small amounts of blood, but annoying), but it's just such a relief to know I dont have to remember the pills and I can't mess it up and get pregnant. Plus, it's likely to make my periods stop (have not had one yet!). I would plan to have the rest of the day at home with a heat pack and bring your husband or close friend to hold your hand during the procedure if you're uncomfortable with vaginal exams--its pretty intense. I did get some thinx panties and those have made the spotting much less worrisome/annoying. My concern is that I can't control my period to make sure I dont have it during big events where it would be annoying, but hopefully it will be light enough not to be too much of a concern (my periods on their own leave my vomiting in the fetal position for the first day or two). I'd also recommend going to a dr you trust with good bedside manner to make the insertion easier for you.

Sorry for the word vomit, I hope some of this helps!

I have an appointment with a new OBGYN in February and im actually planning to ask about the possibility of an IUD*. Hearing these stories are both comforting and concerning for me. Im switching OBGYN's because of an awful doctor (traumatically painful Pap smear that I practically hyperventilated through- not once did the doctor even hesitate to see if I was okay). Prior to that experience I was adamant about switching from the pill to an IUD and now im afraid that experience is going to make any future vaginal exams far more painful than they would've been otherwise. 

I just had my second IUD put in, and I've just switched from hormonal to non-hormonal (1st was Mirena, 2nd is Paragard).  

I liked my Mirena well enough.  I do have a history of heavy and painful periods, and the Mirena did WONDERS at clearing that up.  My periods were light and fairly effortless by the end!  However, my body is just not a fan of hormonal BC for some reason, and I did experience cramping, bloating, and general pain with the Mirena.  Not enough to go back in to have it removed over, but enough that I noticed the difference in a big way when I switched IUDs.  I just think I never connected the dots until I switched.  

Paragard can make periods worse, and while I've only had one period with it, it was a doozie.  However, this may (hopefully will) get better as my body adjusts.  I did not experience spotting with insertion and the first period going to paragard (especially from a hormonal option) is known to be particularly bad, so there's a good chance this was an anomaly.  Periods aside, switching to a non-hormonal option has been great for me: fewer headaches, less general cramping, less bloat, generally just feeling A LOT better...but again, that's just my body and I have known issues with hormonal BC.  

I just want to throw that out there because I really wish I would have made the switch sooner, so if you have issues with hormonal BC and experience a spike in nebulous "unwellness" or discomfort after having a hormonal IUD inserted, talk to your doc about non-hormonal options.  

On 1/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, Bobology said:

It would be interesting if there was a game called "Fundie Life" with the little cars being able to hold about 12-15 people, players graduating to be the family launderers and cooks, being able to own a fundie-approved business. And on the darker side, having to 'confess your sins' to the designated elder, going hungry, being submissive to the appointed headship. Ugh, it just turned into their real lives.

I want to start making this. Right. Now.  I have a feeling that it would be a huge hit in fundie world.

We got the Life game for our kids a few years ago, but it is a different version than I had as a kid in the 70s.  The new one wasn't as fun as I remember.  Of course, life in general isn't as fun as I remember it being in the 70s, either.

We always named all the wives "Peg."

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I just had my second IUD put in, and I've just switched from hormonal to non-hormonal (1st was Mirena, 2nd is Paragard).  

I liked my Mirena well enough.  I do have a history of heavy and painful periods, and the Mirena did WONDERS at clearing that up.  My periods were light and fairly effortless by the end!  However, my body is just not a fan of hormonal BC for some reason, and I did experience cramping, bloating, and general pain with the Mirena.  Not enough to go back in to have it removed over, but enough that I noticed the difference in a big way when I switched IUDs.  I just think I never connected the dots until I switched.  

Paragard can make periods worse, and while I've only had one period with it, it was a doozie.  However, this may (hopefully will) get better as my body adjusts.  I did not experience spotting with insertion and the first period going to paragard (especially from a hormonal option) is known to be particularly bad, so there's a good chance this was an anomaly.  Periods aside, switching to a non-hormonal option has been great for me: fewer headaches, less general cramping, less bloat, generally just feeling A LOT better...but again, that's just my body and I have known issues with hormonal BC.  

I just want to throw that out there because I really wish I would have made the switch sooner, so if you have issues with hormonal BC and experience a spike in nebulous "unwellness" or discomfort after having a hormonal IUD inserted, talk to your doc about non-hormonal options.  

I can't tolerate artificial hormones and have a mild latex allergy and don't want a baby... so I have a Paraguard.

I am just nearing the one year mark and can say it does improve after the first 3ish months. My natural period was pretty light, so while it absolutely did increase the amount of blood, it's not the end of the world for me. I never previously cramped or had PMS, and I will say it does cause some cramps and I've found myself randomly crying at everything a day or two before my period now, so that's new for me. I do use a menstrual cup (make sure to break seal before removing if you have an IUD especially!) and I swear using the cup nearly alleviates all cramping for me (maybe due to gentle suction? idk just a theory.) I do use Thinx as a back up to the cup on my heaviest day(s). The cup/thinx combo has made my period much less dreaded. 

I will say the period, I guess, is technically longer, but the first day or two is like bleed for an hour, goes away, etc. It takes a few days to get heavy and then same tapering at the end. This makes it feel way longer. My other weird complaint is bleeding during ovulation. Bright, red blood, but never enough to warrant using any menstrual products, but always blood. 

But having reliable birth control without debilitating HBC migraines is my priority. 

32 minutes ago, mstee said:

I had never heard of Thinx panties till this discussion and just googled them. Do they work well? 

They're awesome! Disclaimer: I believe there was some questionable things with CEOs/ethics in the past, but they do have new leadership and things seem good now from what I can tell. 

It may vary depending on your needs/flow, but I wholeheartedly believe they are worth the investment! I mostly use them as backup to the cup as I work really long days and if I am in with a patient I can't exactly just run to check/empty the cup. While I love menstrual cups, I do have occasional leaks and regular disposable panty liners made my skin react. Also, if I know my period is due to arrive, I may wear them the day beforehand to prevent any potential incidents if/when it arrives. I also have one of the thongs to wear at the tail end of spotty days alone (or to pilates/yoga as cup backup with workout tights that I don't want visible panty lines with.)

The regular hiphuggers are awesome and hold two regular tampons' worth, but they feel a bit like thick bathing suit material. The organic cotton briefs are my FAVORITE (and I am normally a thongs only, hate full coverage underwear kind of person.) I have even considered wearing them outside of my period because they are so comfy. 

I do a lot of hiking/active outdoor things that can be far away from bathrooms and just got the running shorts and am so excited about them. They have a built in hiphugger and I can't wait to have more freedom with that. 

Also, I now have a waste-less period, and the environment can use all the help it can get. 

Edit: I know they're expensive. I originally purchased one pair with a $10 referral coupon to check for sizing/comfort and was hooked and have added a pair here and there. They do have occasional site wide coupons if you pay attention. 

2 hours ago, mstee said:

I had never heard of Thinx panties till this discussion and just googled them. Do they work well? 

Mine are fairly new and I'm only using them for spotting, but they're super comfortable. Like @Casserole I love that it's waste free (I also use a cup) and that I can avoid the discomfort of pantiliners. I plan to use them when I know my period is close so I dont have to worry about catching it quickly when it starts, but I know my flow is too heavy for them alone except as the very end. If you decide to invest, after you know you like them, you can get a solid % off for buying 3, 5, or 7 pairs at once, which I combined with a site wide discount. They also tell you how many tampons each type should hold. I haven't tested with much at all yet, so I can't speak for the accuracy, but I can say that they're super comfy and great for my IUD spotting issues.

I've been using Thinx for a couple of years now and have been very happy with them (especially upon hearing they got rid of that crazy CEO they had back when I bought them.)  

On 1/14/2019 at 10:10 PM, Kailash said:

I love the Thinx panties! I have a pair for myself and several for my 13 year old. They are worth every penny.

I was looking at their line that's designed for tweens and teens (Thinx BTWN), and it looks like they only work as backup, or for light flow days. Does your daughter use the BTWN version, or the adult one? I'm considering whether Thinx panties would be a good investment for my daughter when she starts her period in a few years. (It's all hypothetical, because of course I can't know when she'll have her first cycle, how heavy a flow she'll have, or what size panties she'll be wearing then.) 

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I think they must be the adult ones. I first bought some when she was 10, and I don’t think they had the tween/teen ones back then. She wears XXS. She wears them several days before she’s due to get her period, and then as backup during. Hth. 

On 1/14/2019 at 2:24 AM, neurogirl said:

(I’m thinking Skyla

I have one of those (called Jaydess in Canada. Such silly names!). I have never been on BC pills so can't compare but I'm very happy with mine. It hurt a lot to put in and I had about a month of almost continuous spotting (I went through a lot of pads) but my very painful periods have been replaced with light and pain-free ones. Yay! I haven't really noticed any change in libido. Happy to answer any other questions and I hope you find a good solution for you!

On 1/16/2019 at 12:13 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I was looking at their line that's designed for tweens and teens (Thinx BTWN), and it looks like they only work as backup, or for light flow days. Does your daughter use the BTWN version, or the adult one? I'm considering whether Thinx panties would be a good investment for my daughter when she starts her period in a few years. (It's all hypothetical, because of course I can't know when she'll have her first cycle, how heavy a flow she'll have, or what size panties she'll be wearing then.) 

It will depend on her flow/chosen menstrual products I think, but I can say wholeheartedly that these would have changed my life in middle school. I had a constant anxiety about leakage and every time I got up would check the chair if I leaked or subtly tried to check my crotch for blood stains. Just having the insurance that these provide would have kept my anxiety in check. And also would have helped when teachers refused to allow you to the bathroom occasionally. They have a layer of PUL in them, which is the same outer  layer used on modern cloth diapers. They contain leaks very well, but of course if anything gets saturated enough leaks can happen. 

I think investing in a pair or two would be a godsend to all young girls, though. Even if only to wear during the expected time frame where your period may begin, or even if you only use them as backup. I lost a lot of class time obsessing and worrying over my period. 

My own solution is 20 pairs of black underwear. Bali No Seam. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived