IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 12: Usual Duggar Social Media and Drift

HerNameIsBuffy

I mean, I could write off religion and prayers as irrational and a bunch of woo. I would never suggest anyone use them as a substitute for medical care. However, I have no doubt that the comfort us real, even if I don't personally think the deity behind it is. That comfort does indeed have therapeutic benefits, both mental and physical. Vaccines don't cure cancer. Neither does yoga. However, both yoga and vaccines can have therapeutic and medical benefits. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Marjorie got her degree in graphic design. And her 2nd (non-self published) book came out last week.

I wonder if Josiah is ever a wee jealous of what she's accomplished?

I wonder if he's jealous of the freedom she has in all of this? 

As always, I'm glad she dodged the Duggar bullet. 

During a very difficult time, I was browsing self-helpish books about living with bipolar at the library - never been diagnosed, but I have tendencies. The receipt from a person who'd recently checked the book out was tucked in the front of one book I picked up. It was a former high school classmate of mine (had moved back in with parents after college and the classmate had a very distinctive name). I started crying because I just felt like I wasn't alone. It was very helpful, even though I didn't actually check the book out!

In some of my darkest times, just knowing I wasn't the only one who had ever felt that way was helpful. Books can help with that. For me, YouTube also helped. 

I'm a very introspective person. Reading pop psychology books or listening to podcasts on the subject is helpful to me. I wish therapy was something I could financially prioritize right now, but I can't. But that doesn't mean I can't improve my psychological health at all, even on my own.

7 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

During a very difficult time, I was browsing self-helpish books about living with bipolar at the library - never been diagnosed, but I have tendencies. The receipt from a person who'd recently checked the book out was tucked in the front of one book I picked up. It was a former high school classmate of mine (had moved back in with parents after college and the classmate had a very distinctive name). I started crying because I just felt like I wasn't alone. It was very helpful, even though I didn't actually check the book out!

In some of my darkest times, just knowing I wasn't the only one who had ever felt that way was helpful. Books can help with that. For me, YouTube also helped. 

I'm a very introspective person. Reading pop psychology books or listening to podcasts on the subject is helpful to me. I wish therapy was something I could financially prioritize right now, but I can't. But that doesn't mean I can't improve my psychological health at all, even on my own.

Haven't been following this thread but your post caught my eye on the "unread content" list.  I am a pretty avid consumer of self-help and pop psychology type books.  Sometimes other folks roll their eyes when I make mention of it, but I have clear evidence that they work for me, both for knowledge and for motivation (I listen to a lot of "how to create better habits" type books).  While feeling the need to caution against a lot of bad psychological advice out there, I mostly want to say -- you go!  If the books and podcasts are helping you feel better, deal with issues, develop life management strategies, etc., more power to you!  ?

The reddit snark sub alerted me to this, but apparently if you google Lauren Swanson, it calls her "Josiah Duggar's ex-wife."

I'm sure it's just something screwy in google's algorithm, but I have always wondered how the Duggars would react to divorce, especially if it was one of their kids who just had a big televised wedding.

image.png

On 12/17/2018 at 9:16 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

Vaccines don't cure cancer.

Not sure why you're putting vaccines in the same category as yoga and prayers. Vaccines do actually prevent cancer, that's what the HPV vaccine does. 

On 12/20/2018 at 5:43 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Not sure why you're putting vaccines in the same category as yoga and prayers. Vaccines do actually prevent cancer, that's what the HPV vaccine does. 

Every time I see my sister-in-law she works into the conversation that if my father had done yoga, he would not have died of cancer. 

Forgive me if my impulse is to want to kick people in the teeth when they equate yoga and the accompanying woo as medical treatment or preventative care. 

So the last thing I want is to derail the conversation back to abortion, but I did want to address this exchange from @justodd and @bekkah  I saw the first post by bekah, and went back and forth about what I wanted to do but never saw Justodd’s follow up.  

JO has known me for over a decade and pretty well so she was kind of close to where I fall on this.  It’s public, it is easy to search and find my story which I’ve shared multiple times on FJ.  But my distance from FJ over the last three years has helped me understand it’s ok to have emotional boundaries, and I don’t have to advocate for things in a way that causes me pain.  That said, historically I was always willing to jump in the fray, so I totally understand @bekkah’s post.  No harm was intended, none was had and now people know where I am on it.

edited to add: I’m pretty sure JO knows this, but just to be clear I appreciated them saying something and I got nothing but hearts all day long for them.  I just also understand why my historical posting would have left a different perspective by others who don’t truly know me.  All is cool with everyone IMO :)

continue on with the Duggar snarks.

Josiah's instagram posted that it has been 6 months since they married. There was a picture of them decorating a tree. We may see another couple not have a baby until they have been married a year. (This is not speculation on whether or not they are preventing in any way, just stating that they seem to have not followed the trend of a pregnancy in the first couple months of marriage)

7 hours ago, bucherwurm said:

Josiah's instagram posted that it has been 6 months since they married. There was a picture of them decorating a tree. We may see another couple not have a baby until they have been married a year. (This is not speculation on whether or not they are preventing in any way, just stating that they seem to have not followed the trend of a pregnancy in the first couple months of marriage)

Or are currently unable to conceive. Which would be my guess given Lauren's love for being a SAH wife. It's only been 6 months.

Si posted an Insta story of them “praying in the new year.” It looked miserable and cultish.  I’m not saying you need to go to a raucous club for NYE, but 20 something’s should have to opportunity to spend it with friends and laughter, not cult family crap. 

1 minute ago, PurpleCats said:

Si posted an Insta story of them “praying in the new year.” It looked miserable and cultish.  I’m not saying you need to go to a raucous club for NYE, but 20 something’s should have to opportunity to spend it with friends and laughter, not cult family crap. 

Boob, Mullet and family do this every year. They sprawl across furniture at the TTH and look like they are awaiting the rapture. 

I know they do this a lot, but I can never really get over how posting pics of yourself praying on social media is 100% (supposed) Pharisee behavior.  Makes me wonder how much time they spend reading the gospels vs memorizing psalms. 

The latest post. I, too, need to start taking down the Christmas decorations. Ugh.

The "praying in the new year" thing on his Insta story is weird. 

11 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

The latest post. I, too, need to start taking down the Christmas decorations. Ugh.

Is that the big building that JB had asked J and L to live in for awhile? If so, they have managed to make it appear homey and warm.

"You were the best decision I ever made"?

The guy couldn't think of a slightly less creepy-crawly way of phrasing that? Calling her a "decision" kinda makes it sound like they're in a cult where women are property and men are allowed to monopolize every aspect of their lives.

1 hour ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

is that how we're supposed to dress to take down Christmas stuff?

I was planning on jammies, hello kitty boot slippers, and a messy bun.

I won't take down Christmas stuff until it is absolutely necessary. The evening before the garbage collection comes to collect the trees together with organic waste (germany ) I will dedecorate the tree. And the rest will be put away whenever I am in the mood for it. Which means that this year I will be in the mood to put down that gorgeous Christmas mobile that hangs in our entry since December 1st 2017. I thought about it last August, but that was so close to Christmas so that I let it there. 

My Christmas decorations come down around early February, when I finally notice it getting lighter.  I need the extra cheer till then. 

But in general I see no reason to stop celebrating seasonal holidays just because the official day has passed--I finally got around to carving my Halloween pumpkin just before Thanksgiving this year. ?

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

is that how we're supposed to dress to take down Christmas stuff?

I was planning on jammies, hello kitty boot slippers, and a messy bun.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I saw that!! I'm WAY under dressed when I take down my Christmas stuff, apparently!!

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Above, what Josiah said to Lauren on Instagram. I thought god or jebus always told them (or led them) who to court and marry. But at least Josiah is telling the truth: it wasn't god or jebus, it was his, Josiah's, own decision to pursue and marry Lauren, if she agreed. I wish the others would all admit it.

12 minutes ago, Bobology said:

Above, what Josiah said to Lauren on Instagram. I thought god or jebus always told them (or led them) who to court and marry. But at least Josiah is telling the truth: it wasn't god or jebus, it was his, Josiah's, own decision to pursue and marry Lauren, if she agreed. I wish the others would all admit it.

I had the exact same thought.

Also, I guess i was surprised to see a Christmas tree---do the Duggars always have one?  Isn't it pagan and un-Jesusy?

6 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

The guy couldn't think of a slightly less creepy-crawly way of phrasing that? Calling her a "decision" kinda makes it sound like they're in a cult where women are property and men are allowed to monopolize every aspect of their lives.

Idk, I think it just sounds creepy because it's coming from a Duggar. When I got engaged recently, my mom said "You always make good choices and [fiancé's name] is just another one!" Same sort of phrasing, but we're definitely not fundie. I didn't really think it was odd.

6 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

He took #hashtaglessonsfromjill

I am fixated on more hideous wall decor. That photo? is the ultimate fundie wedding word art bad font travesty. You can tell. We can only see a corner. 

I do not think good sex is happening here.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived