Jump to content
IGNORED

John David and Abbie 6: Flying Off to the Honeymoon


Recommended Posts

Coconut Flan

It isn't an excuse or a cop out and does explain Derick's odd remark of "volunteering" and not being paid.  Jeremy may well have had the savvy to get his/their own contract and that would explain them buying their own house.   

  • Upvote 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • HerNameIsBuffy

    23

  • singsingsing

    19

  • Palimpsest

    17

  • JermajestyDuggar

    16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Abbie's dad reminds me of the Church Lady.  

I'm old school.  I don't think it's a real fundy wedding if one of the fathers doesn't give a formal speech about his vasectomy and how after the reversal his ejaculate was once again sperm filled and

Instantly making them the smartest of all the Duggar’s. 

Posted Images

allthegoodnamesrgone

I don't see Austin's father going along with Austin being under JB's thumb. I get the impression that Terry wants Austin to be the head of his own family. I think the Forsyth's taught Austin to be, not independent, maybe self reliant, you know he CAN take care of himself when he has to, but is congenial enough to still follow dad's (Terry) law until such a time dad is no longer able to be head of the family.

  • Upvote 20
Link to post
Share on other sites
tabitha2

Yes, Austin has his own family  buisness  in the family Camp to provide for and would have been dealing with contracts, accounting and money for years.He needs his money at his disposal. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
HerNameIsBuffy
51 minutes ago, viii said:

They don't have the skills and they don't have the ability to even think of stuff like that. I imagine majority of them aren't thinking that JB is stealing their money, it's not even a thought process of theirs to think that this might not be normal/right. To them, they're just blindly following their dad as they've done all their life, and thinking he's leading them in the right direction. They might be married with "new headships" but Daddy still runs that family. 

I'll admit it, if I were in that position and my dad were still alive I wouldn't question him.

He was very, very good with money and I assume I'd be far better with him managing things than me.

At my age now I would probably ask how it worked so I could understand, but as he died when I was in my mid-twenties no way would I have done even that.  And tbf my interests would have been much better served in his hands than mine.

  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Audrey2

I am thinking of this discussion in the context that the holidays are coming up. How many of us are free fully functioning adult women, with great responsibilities to our family and in the workplace, but, when we return to our parents for a holiday, we revert to the same patterns with our parents and siblings that existed when we lived there? I know it happened to me...

  • Upvote 29
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll admit it, if I were in that position and my dad were still alive I wouldn't question him.

He was very, very good with money and I assume I'd be far better with him managing things than me.

At my age now I would probably ask how it worked so I could understand, but as he died when I was in my mid-twenties no way would I have done even that.  And tbf my interests would have been much better served in his hands than mine.

I'll admit it, too - there are things that I still default to my dad. Rather than research it myself and make my own decisions, I generally trust that my dad knows what he's talking about, and I'll take his advice. 

Just now, Audrey2 said:

I am thinking of this discussion in the context that the holidays are coming up. How many of us are free fully functioning adult women, with great responsibilities to our family and in the workplace, but, when we return to our parents for a holiday, we revert to the same patterns with our parents and siblings that existed when we lived there? I know it happened to me...

Absolutely! Breaking out of family habits can be difficult, and so easy to fall back into once we're back in the familiarity under our parents roof. 

  • Upvote 14
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if anyone has previously posted knowledge of how the money from TLC is distributed and there are many references to a family trust.

Based on working in the mortgage industry for 30 years in NYC I have seen lots of tax returns for people in the entertainment business.   Most people who work on creative shows are not employees of the networks.  Most are paid through production companies, from the stars to the messengers.   The network has one contract with the production company to deliver finished product.  The production company is responsible for everything else, payroll, renting studio space ( even from the network), and contracting with the trades that make things happen.

It is more than likely that TLC has a contract with a company owned entirely by JimBob.   He would be responsible for getting filming releases from his family and friends, and also is responsible for paying his staff.  He would determine if Jessa gets more than Jill, if Jill gets paid but Derrick does not.  TLC would not be involved in the nitty gritty details of daily operations.     TLC may supply the production team, but the Duggar controlled  company would administer the contract and money paid through it.

  • Upvote 25
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
VBOY9977

Counting on fb just posted an album of JD and Abbie’s wedding pics. I’m curious if they are the same ones as the us weekly ones, or if there are some new ones in there? Can someone check? I can’t access them

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FrozenSmile
46 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It is more than likely that TLC has a contract with a company owned entirely by JimBob.   He would be responsible for getting filming releases from his family and friends, and also is responsible for paying his staff. 

Interesting & something i’ve wondered about. Now i’m curious how they’ll edit the wedding episode, because i don’t recall signing a release. I wonder if it is implied, since you are a guest at a wedding, or if there was something on the invitation that i didn’t notice. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheetah
9 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Do I remember correctly that they asked guests not to post any wedding pictures before the 14th? So, is there anything special happening today? They already got their magazine article out a week ago, the first look clip will air on the 20th, no?  :confused2:

I just saw that there were more pics on the TLC site, but I also wanted to mention that there was a short clip of JD and Abbie on The Little Couple last night that was filmed at their wedding (I'm guessing during/after the reception - they were still in their wedding outfits).  The usual - we are so excited thanks for your support deal. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Palimpsest
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I don't know if anyone has previously posted knowledge of how the money from TLC is distributed and there are many references to a family trust.

Based on working in the mortgage industry for 30 years in NYC I have seen lots of tax returns for people in the entertainment business.   Most people who work on creative shows are not employees of the networks.  Most are paid through production companies, from the stars to the messengers.   The network has one contract with the production company to deliver finished product.  The production company is responsible for everything else, payroll, renting studio space ( even from the network), and contracting with the trades that make things happen.

It is more than likely that TLC has a contract with a company owned entirely by JimBob.   He would be responsible for getting filming releases from his family and friends, and also is responsible for paying his staff.  He would determine if Jessa gets more than Jill, if Jill gets paid but Derrick does not.  TLC would not be involved in the nitty gritty details of daily operations.     TLC may supply the production team, but the Duggar controlled  company would administer the contract and money paid through it.

This.  Actually the production company for Counting On is still Figure 8 Films.  https://www.figure8films.tv/  (It also produces BUB, and produced Kate&8 (has that been cancelled yet) and 19K&C.  It does a lot of questionable documentary work, mostly one-offs.

However, it is unclear whether money is channeled through Figure 8 once a show becomes a series.  I differ with @Lurker on that.

We know from messy leaked stories, a leaked contract, and Gosselin lawsuits that Discovery (TLC is a subsidiary) does have a super-secret contract.  The contract contains a morals clause and Discovery has sued when a "star" walked off the job.  We also know that a single check for "family" shows is cut and paid over usually to a Trust.  We know the Duggars have a Family Trust controlled by JB and Michelle.  Trusts are usually a tax thing.

The Gosselins were slammed for not getting work permits for their children, and the law in PA was changed to a "Coogan-type" law to force them to put money into a separate trust for the kids.  It was peanuts.  AR has no Coogan-type law and Federal Child Labor Laws don't cover kids in entertainment.

But I digress.  The contact(s) are with some version of a Duggar Family, Inc. or Trust.  From there, it is up to JB and Michelle to dole out the money and the adult kids to negotiate with them.  The adult kids could have walked off the set and refused to sign consent forms as soon as they turned 18.  That hasn't happened (yet).  Technically when 19K was cancelled  that must have rendered the contract null.  Jill and Jessa could have renegotiated for Counting On separately - but my guess is they (Derick and Ben) left it up to JB.  He's a financial genius, you know.  

I do suspect that Jeremy (and Jinger) has strong armed JB into a separate contract signing over some of the money generated by filming them.  He would be a fool not to have done that.

54 minutes ago, FrozenSmile said:

Interesting & something i’ve wondered about. Now i’m curious how they’ll edit the wedding episode, because i don’t recall signing a release. I wonder if it is implied, since you are a guest at a wedding, or if there was something on the invitation that i didn’t notice. 

There was probably a sign outside the church to say that by entering you agreed to be filmed.  I've been to events where non-Duggar filming is going on that have those. Going by what Josh McD (former Keller in law) told us, the wedding party and those expected to be interviewed are asked (or pressured) into signing a separate consent form by Figure 8 producers.

But all that said, selling his family to TLC is not the only way Jim Bob Duggar has made money.  At the beginning he was probably land rich and cash poor, but he has parlayed the fame and money into many different businesses and companies.  He strikes me as a very shrewd, and not always ethical, businessman.

So, TLC cash aside, I suspect any Duggar adult boys working for any of JB's companies are probably paid market rate for whatever they do.  JB Duggar believes in boys buying their own homes mortgage-free and marrying young after all.

And I am not sure why the boys (young adults) are shamed here for working for one or any of the family businesses.  Many people do that.  The Bontrager young adults are positively praised here for managing the family motel or working on the family farm.   

Edited by Palimpsest
tagged wrong person
  • Upvote 29
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This smoulder is still hilarious to me.

John-and-Abbie-Duggar-Wedding-15.png

Literally my favorite thing that has come out of their wedding. Every time I see it I'm forced to smile. So funny. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
libgirl2
3 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Counting on fb just posted an album of JD and Abbie’s wedding pics. I’m curious if they are the same ones as the us weekly ones, or if there are some new ones in there? Can someone check? I can’t access them

Some are the same but there are newer ones. I have to say Abbie's hair was just gorgeous in the pictures, especially the first couple. Not sure if this will work. 

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/john-david-and-abbie-duggars-wedding-photos/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf202302198&utm_campaign=countingon&sf202302198=1

  • Thank You 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
miss_batson
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Some are the same but there are newer ones. I have to say Abbie's hair was just gorgeous in the pictures, especially the first couple. Not sure if this will work. 

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/john-david-and-abbie-duggars-wedding-photos/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf202302198&utm_campaign=countingon&sf202302198=1

Nope 🤔 not working for us in Europe.

Found these in Tumblr.. Abbie was gorgeous. And i really like the flowers.

  • Upvote 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
1 hour ago, miss_batson said:

Nope 🤔 not working for us in Europe.

Found these in Tumblr.. Abbie was gorgeous. And i really like the flowers.

Olivia also posted a picture of Anna if anyone is curious. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Nope 🤔 not working for us in Europe.

Found these in Tumblr.. Abbie was gorgeous. And i really like the flowers.

Huh. I watched that last clip of them swaying to the music. I thought dancing was of the Devil? 

Edited by Skeptic
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Sky with diamonds

Wow, those pictures are gorgeous! I'm so relieved to see what I think is a very happy couple. 

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jana814
9 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Wow, those pictures are gorgeous! I'm so relieved to see what I think is a very happy couple. 

Same with me. The pictures are wonderful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
VeryNikeSeamstress

They look super happy. The fashions worn by the wedding party don't scream 'ultra holy fundie' to me. Abbie and her bridesmaids are modern modest done well.

Ok, you two lovebirds, please don't disappoint me anytime soon. Your wedding pics make me want to like you!

  • Upvote 19
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SorenaJ

I saw a photo that Olivia posted from inside the church, during the wedding, and all the bridesmaids are just... standing there? How long is the ceremony? Aren't they mega uncomfortable just standing there? Why are they not sitting down? How can they even stand still in the same position for so long? Without walking around? If that had me having to stand still, I'd be bouncing up and down after 3 minutes. What if there had been heavily pregnant bridesmaids? Still expected to stand? Help? 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
freethemall
4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I saw a photo that Olivia posted from inside the church, during the wedding, and all the bridesmaids are just... standing there? How long is the ceremony? Aren't they mega uncomfortable just standing there? Why are they not sitting down? How can they even stand still in the same position for so long? Without walking around? If that had me having to stand still, I'd be bouncing up and down after 3 minutes. What if there had been heavily pregnant bridesmaids? Still expected to stand? Help? 

I think this is standard and expected in fundie weddings. If there was a heavily pregnant bridesmaid, maybe they'd go the route of the Maxwell/Bontrager wedding and let them sit on chairs. That might not be photographed though.

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
QuiverFullofBooks
4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I saw a photo that Olivia posted from inside the church, during the wedding, and all the bridesmaids are just... standing there? How long is the ceremony? Aren't they mega uncomfortable just standing there? Why are they not sitting down? How can they even stand still in the same position for so long? Without walking around? If that had me having to stand still, I'd be bouncing up and down after 3 minutes. What if there had been heavily pregnant bridesmaids? Still expected to stand? Help? 

Most bridesmaids stand during the wedding. My mother went to a Catholic wedding once where the bridesmaids sat and she was appalled - “It was so long the bridesmaids had to SIT DOWN!!”

  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent Status Updates

    • Jasmar

      Jasmar

      My uncle just died from COVID. He wasn’t that much older than I am, so I kind of grew up with him. Just ten days ago my mom had been pleading with him to get vaccinated, but he wanted to wait to make sure the shots were really safe. I’m kind of devastated.
      · 2 replies
    • PumaLover

      PumaLover

      I just found out my little bonus kid is in a treatment center on a suicide watch tonight. He and I share a hobby and a couple weeks back he opened up to me that he's severely depressed and was wanting to hurt himself. I let his parents know and thankfully he had also been talking to them. I'm just heartbroken because him being in this center means that his parents had to call 911 and have him admitted and I know that was so hard for them to do. He's a young kid and has his whole life ahead of him but just wants to end it all and I don't know how to help him. 
      · 5 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      Middle aged woman with mommy issues...but missing her today.
      She got so much wrong with me, but she had the best intentions and tried so hard. 
      She got so much right, too.  I forget that sometimes.  Sometimes I remember and dismiss it out of spite.  
      “They did the best they could with the tools they had.”  I forgot where I first heard that but I’ve carried it with me like a mantra since my parents passed.   They truly did.  Whatever else was missing, whatever I needed that they couldn’t give, the love was always there.  

      Always. 
      That’s something.
      My confidence in my own abilities.  Faith in my own power.  My own strength.  They gave me that, too.
      That’s also something.  
      They’re why I’m messed up, but they’re also why I’m okay.  
       
      Shit’s complicated.
      She died before I figured out how smart she really was.  Sad thing is I don’t think ever figured that out for herself.  
      Ignore me - just crying in my car waiting to pick up my son.  

       
       
      · 1 reply
    • CuttySark

      CuttySark

      The nice thing about posting about Jewish history is how quickly it flushes out the antisemites. 😘
      · 2 replies
    • choralcrusader8613

      choralcrusader8613

      I've been feeling a shitload of this for a while now about various types of Christians tbh.

      · 0 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      It's Friday so yay!  But sweet Jesus I need it to be the end of the day already.  Crappy week and I'm so ready for it to be over.

      · 0 replies
    • nst

      nst

      I got vaccinated yesterday. In the am I got the email and I was  vaccinated 
      · 0 replies
    • PsyD2013

      PsyD2013

      Exhausted. I need a weekend off the grid.
       
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      This will make the internetz explode. 
      · 1 reply
    • indianabones

      indianabones

      Making my fifth offer on a house tomorrow! I've gotten pretty attached to this one, too... fingers crossed!
      · 2 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.