IGNORED

John David and Abbie 6: Flying Off to the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

It isn't an excuse or a cop out and does explain Derick's odd remark of "volunteering" and not being paid.  Jeremy may well have had the savvy to get his/their own contract and that would explain them buying their own house.   

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see Austin's father going along with Austin being under JB's thumb. I get the impression that Terry wants Austin to be the head of his own family. I think the Forsyth's taught Austin to be, not independent, maybe self reliant, you know he CAN take care of himself when he has to, but is congenial enough to still follow dad's (Terry) law until such a time dad is no longer able to be head of the family.

Yes, Austin has his own family  buisness  in the family Camp to provide for and would have been dealing with contracts, accounting and money for years.He needs his money at his disposal. 

51 minutes ago, viii said:

They don't have the skills and they don't have the ability to even think of stuff like that. I imagine majority of them aren't thinking that JB is stealing their money, it's not even a thought process of theirs to think that this might not be normal/right. To them, they're just blindly following their dad as they've done all their life, and thinking he's leading them in the right direction. They might be married with "new headships" but Daddy still runs that family. 

I'll admit it, if I were in that position and my dad were still alive I wouldn't question him.

He was very, very good with money and I assume I'd be far better with him managing things than me.

At my age now I would probably ask how it worked so I could understand, but as he died when I was in my mid-twenties no way would I have done even that.  And tbf my interests would have been much better served in his hands than mine.

I am thinking of this discussion in the context that the holidays are coming up. How many of us are free fully functioning adult women, with great responsibilities to our family and in the workplace, but, when we return to our parents for a holiday, we revert to the same patterns with our parents and siblings that existed when we lived there? I know it happened to me...

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll admit it, if I were in that position and my dad were still alive I wouldn't question him.

He was very, very good with money and I assume I'd be far better with him managing things than me.

At my age now I would probably ask how it worked so I could understand, but as he died when I was in my mid-twenties no way would I have done even that.  And tbf my interests would have been much better served in his hands than mine.

I'll admit it, too - there are things that I still default to my dad. Rather than research it myself and make my own decisions, I generally trust that my dad knows what he's talking about, and I'll take his advice. 

Just now, Audrey2 said:

I am thinking of this discussion in the context that the holidays are coming up. How many of us are free fully functioning adult women, with great responsibilities to our family and in the workplace, but, when we return to our parents for a holiday, we revert to the same patterns with our parents and siblings that existed when we lived there? I know it happened to me...

Absolutely! Breaking out of family habits can be difficult, and so easy to fall back into once we're back in the familiarity under our parents roof. 

I don't know if anyone has previously posted knowledge of how the money from TLC is distributed and there are many references to a family trust.

Based on working in the mortgage industry for 30 years in NYC I have seen lots of tax returns for people in the entertainment business.   Most people who work on creative shows are not employees of the networks.  Most are paid through production companies, from the stars to the messengers.   The network has one contract with the production company to deliver finished product.  The production company is responsible for everything else, payroll, renting studio space ( even from the network), and contracting with the trades that make things happen.

It is more than likely that TLC has a contract with a company owned entirely by JimBob.   He would be responsible for getting filming releases from his family and friends, and also is responsible for paying his staff.  He would determine if Jessa gets more than Jill, if Jill gets paid but Derrick does not.  TLC would not be involved in the nitty gritty details of daily operations.     TLC may supply the production team, but the Duggar controlled  company would administer the contract and money paid through it.

Counting on fb just posted an album of JD and Abbie’s wedding pics. I’m curious if they are the same ones as the us weekly ones, or if there are some new ones in there? Can someone check? I can’t access them

46 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It is more than likely that TLC has a contract with a company owned entirely by JimBob.   He would be responsible for getting filming releases from his family and friends, and also is responsible for paying his staff. 

Interesting & something i’ve wondered about. Now i’m curious how they’ll edit the wedding episode, because i don’t recall signing a release. I wonder if it is implied, since you are a guest at a wedding, or if there was something on the invitation that i didn’t notice. 

9 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Do I remember correctly that they asked guests not to post any wedding pictures before the 14th? So, is there anything special happening today? They already got their magazine article out a week ago, the first look clip will air on the 20th, no?  :confused2:

I just saw that there were more pics on the TLC site, but I also wanted to mention that there was a short clip of JD and Abbie on The Little Couple last night that was filmed at their wedding (I'm guessing during/after the reception - they were still in their wedding outfits).  The usual - we are so excited thanks for your support deal. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I don't know if anyone has previously posted knowledge of how the money from TLC is distributed and there are many references to a family trust.

Based on working in the mortgage industry for 30 years in NYC I have seen lots of tax returns for people in the entertainment business.   Most people who work on creative shows are not employees of the networks.  Most are paid through production companies, from the stars to the messengers.   The network has one contract with the production company to deliver finished product.  The production company is responsible for everything else, payroll, renting studio space ( even from the network), and contracting with the trades that make things happen.

It is more than likely that TLC has a contract with a company owned entirely by JimBob.   He would be responsible for getting filming releases from his family and friends, and also is responsible for paying his staff.  He would determine if Jessa gets more than Jill, if Jill gets paid but Derrick does not.  TLC would not be involved in the nitty gritty details of daily operations.     TLC may supply the production team, but the Duggar controlled  company would administer the contract and money paid through it.

This.  Actually the production company for Counting On is still Figure 8 Films.  https://www.figure8films.tv/  (It also produces BUB, and produced Kate&8 (has that been cancelled yet) and 19K&C.  It does a lot of questionable documentary work, mostly one-offs.

However, it is unclear whether money is channeled through Figure 8 once a show becomes a series.  I differ with @Lurker on that.

We know from messy leaked stories, a leaked contract, and Gosselin lawsuits that Discovery (TLC is a subsidiary) does have a super-secret contract.  The contract contains a morals clause and Discovery has sued when a "star" walked off the job.  We also know that a single check for "family" shows is cut and paid over usually to a Trust.  We know the Duggars have a Family Trust controlled by JB and Michelle.  Trusts are usually a tax thing.

The Gosselins were slammed for not getting work permits for their children, and the law in PA was changed to a "Coogan-type" law to force them to put money into a separate trust for the kids.  It was peanuts.  AR has no Coogan-type law and Federal Child Labor Laws don't cover kids in entertainment.

But I digress.  The contact(s) are with some version of a Duggar Family, Inc. or Trust.  From there, it is up to JB and Michelle to dole out the money and the adult kids to negotiate with them.  The adult kids could have walked off the set and refused to sign consent forms as soon as they turned 18.  That hasn't happened (yet).  Technically when 19K was cancelled  that must have rendered the contract null.  Jill and Jessa could have renegotiated for Counting On separately - but my guess is they (Derick and Ben) left it up to JB.  He's a financial genius, you know.  

I do suspect that Jeremy (and Jinger) has strong armed JB into a separate contract signing over some of the money generated by filming them.  He would be a fool not to have done that.

54 minutes ago, FrozenSmile said:

Interesting & something i’ve wondered about. Now i’m curious how they’ll edit the wedding episode, because i don’t recall signing a release. I wonder if it is implied, since you are a guest at a wedding, or if there was something on the invitation that i didn’t notice. 

There was probably a sign outside the church to say that by entering you agreed to be filmed.  I've been to events where non-Duggar filming is going on that have those. Going by what Josh McD (former Keller in law) told us, the wedding party and those expected to be interviewed are asked (or pressured) into signing a separate consent form by Figure 8 producers.

But all that said, selling his family to TLC is not the only way Jim Bob Duggar has made money.  At the beginning he was probably land rich and cash poor, but he has parlayed the fame and money into many different businesses and companies.  He strikes me as a very shrewd, and not always ethical, businessman.

So, TLC cash aside, I suspect any Duggar adult boys working for any of JB's companies are probably paid market rate for whatever they do.  JB Duggar believes in boys buying their own homes mortgage-free and marrying young after all.

And I am not sure why the boys (young adults) are shamed here for working for one or any of the family businesses.  Many people do that.  The Bontrager young adults are positively praised here for managing the family motel or working on the family farm.   

10 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This smoulder is still hilarious to me.

John-and-Abbie-Duggar-Wedding-15.png

Literally my favorite thing that has come out of their wedding. Every time I see it I'm forced to smile. So funny. 

3 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Counting on fb just posted an album of JD and Abbie’s wedding pics. I’m curious if they are the same ones as the us weekly ones, or if there are some new ones in there? Can someone check? I can’t access them

Some are the same but there are newer ones. I have to say Abbie's hair was just gorgeous in the pictures, especially the first couple. Not sure if this will work. 

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/john-david-and-abbie-duggars-wedding-photos/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf202302198&utm_campaign=countingon&sf202302198=1

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Some are the same but there are newer ones. I have to say Abbie's hair was just gorgeous in the pictures, especially the first couple. Not sure if this will work. 

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/john-david-and-abbie-duggars-wedding-photos/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf202302198&utm_campaign=countingon&sf202302198=1

Nope ? not working for us in Europe.

Found these in Tumblr.. Abbie was gorgeous. And i really like the flowers.

1 hour ago, miss_batson said:

Olivia also posted a picture of Anna if anyone is curious. 

4 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Huh. I watched that last clip of them swaying to the music. I thought dancing was of the Devil? 

Wow, those pictures are gorgeous! I'm so relieved to see what I think is a very happy couple. 

9 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Wow, those pictures are gorgeous! I'm so relieved to see what I think is a very happy couple. 

Same with me. The pictures are wonderful. 

They look super happy. The fashions worn by the wedding party don't scream 'ultra holy fundie' to me. Abbie and her bridesmaids are modern modest done well.

Ok, you two lovebirds, please don't disappoint me anytime soon. Your wedding pics make me want to like you!

I saw a photo that Olivia posted from inside the church, during the wedding, and all the bridesmaids are just... standing there? How long is the ceremony? Aren't they mega uncomfortable just standing there? Why are they not sitting down? How can they even stand still in the same position for so long? Without walking around? If that had me having to stand still, I'd be bouncing up and down after 3 minutes. What if there had been heavily pregnant bridesmaids? Still expected to stand? Help? 

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I saw a photo that Olivia posted from inside the church, during the wedding, and all the bridesmaids are just... standing there? How long is the ceremony? Aren't they mega uncomfortable just standing there? Why are they not sitting down? How can they even stand still in the same position for so long? Without walking around? If that had me having to stand still, I'd be bouncing up and down after 3 minutes. What if there had been heavily pregnant bridesmaids? Still expected to stand? Help? 

I think this is standard and expected in fundie weddings. If there was a heavily pregnant bridesmaid, maybe they'd go the route of the Maxwell/Bontrager wedding and let them sit on chairs. That might not be photographed though.

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Most bridesmaids stand during the wedding. My mother went to a Catholic wedding once where the bridesmaids sat and she was appalled - “It was so long the bridesmaids had to SIT DOWN!!”

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived