• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

BlackberryGirl

I had a short, pleasant conversation with an Amish woman, her little boy and the woman who was driving them around today while my gs was doing our shopping. Everyone was masked including the 2 year old. The masks were obviously home sewn,  what was really interesting is the Amish woman’s mask was monogramed in hot pink embroidery! 

LacyMay

We moved over the summer to a smaller more rural city. We have a larger Mennonite population here and in the surrounding area so it's not uncommon to see them. I also regularly saw women who I think are more mainstream conservative Christian or independent Baptist/Pentecostal (skirts only, long hair etc) pre COVID I saw them in Starbucks every so often they were always super pleasant. 

Marmion

If Amish are to count as being a type of fundie , then I have an amusing anecdote .   Around this time of year is  rumspringa ,  and not even covid-19 is keeping them from getting together and partying .  So I have at times been out in my yard and suddenly heard throbbing back beats .  After having trouble pinpointing where it's coming from , I will here the clip clop of horse shoes , and realize that it's from the boombox of a buggy .  Amish teenagers , during this period of their lives might tend to enjoy types of music which might surprise some people .  Their horse will shake its head along to such dance tunes as something like this , for instance .  

Spoiler

Spoiler

For an example of the sort of thing  that I am referring to.    

Don'tlikekoolaid

Some time ago I wrote about the new manager at my recycling depot was Hare Krishna.  I was bothered by having to interact with them on a regular basis because the Krishna people in my past were scamming grifters and rude AF.

Well the community has changed a lot since then and I have come to really like this man and his wife.

So yesterday at the depot the woman tells me they’re moving to India as soon as Visas are starting to be issued again. They’re not worried about Corona because the Lord Krishna will protect them.   It’s sad for me to think what might happen to them, they’re moving to a community on the outskirts of Calcutta.  This is an older couple, he’s in his seventies she’s maybe sixty.  All their adult children are going with them.

It just reminds me of the grief people feel leaving the fundy churches.  Some of the people are so likeable in spite of their beliefs.  So tragic.

Marmion
13 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

They’re not worried about Corona because the Lord Krishna will protect them.

From what I understand , from this music video , they believe that their chanting of the Mahamantra gives to them protection , and power , not to mention transcendental bliss .  

Spoiler

Although anti-cult activists might deem it to fall under number 7 of the BITE model , in the category of thought control https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/  , and Christians may feel that the practice is prohibited , as it pertains to  Matthew 6:7  https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6%3A7&version=NKJV , this is how such bhakti yogis go about connecting to their concept of the divine .  

Don'tlikekoolaid

I am so angry.  Mr Kools nephew who hasn’t bothered with us for the forty years Mr K and I have been together phoned and wants to stop in for a visit!  This guy is a JW and was visiting the JW guy who lives about an hour down the road from us.  They severely want to convert us.  The nephew and his wife have been driving around and visiting people during a fucking pandemic and now all of a sudden need to see their beloved uncle, who they’ve ignored for forty f’ing years.  We had quite the conversation, In a nutshell I told them not to show up.  I hope they don’t because I’m no pushover, I’m the bitch gatekeeper and I will not be happy.  WTF is wrong with people, how stupid can they be?  If they show up tomorrow they are not going to like me at all.  We are not your mission field asshole.  

Thanks guys, I just needed to vent. 

CarrotCake

Covid seems like a good excuse in this case. 😁

smittykins

I’m surprised they’re still doing in-person visits.  Reportedly, many JWs have switched to proselytizing through letters and phone calls.

Don'tlikekoolaid
7 hours ago, smittykins said:

I’m surprised they’re still doing in-person visits.  Reportedly, many JWs have switched to proselytizing through letters and phone calls.

They have, apparently there’s no door knocking right now.  I guess that doesn’t apply to family, especially when they could die at any time.  And I know these ones around here are still meeting in people’s homes.

adidas
7 hours ago, smittykins said:

I got a hand written letter personally addressed to me. It was a page long with a tract and it looked like the handwriting of an elderly woman. It included one of their booklets.
I’ve previously called them and asked to be taken off their door knocking list, but I guess letters are different. 

neuroticcat

I have an old childhood friend who reconnected on Facebook. She’s busy selling plexus and conspiracy theories online with this weird polished fundie bonus dogma too.

You’ve probably seen the package of warnings: Sometimes it’s about vaccines or COVID or QAnon or masks. Most recently it’s about coin shortages and the terrors of a cashless society. What I find fascinating - beyond the fundamentalism combined with Gnosticism, is the comment threads with many pious reminders that “God is in control,” warnings about it being end times, mark of the beast, etc., and these weird faith declarations that they know where they’re going so: no fear (except all the fear monger it I guess?).

Anyway, it’s a new bizarro corner of fundamentalism for me, and the entitlement and delusion is crazytown. I mean, made up threats to drive propaganda when the world is on fire and feeling smug and safe as Christians? Look. You don’t have to care about the actual crises I care about...like famine or injustice or COVID...but can you just care about something real that’s not yourself? It’s embarrassing and awful and as a Christian I thInk it violates taking Gods name in vain every time I see it. 

PumaLover
2 hours ago, adidas said:

I got a hand written letter personally addressed to me. It was a page long with a tract and it looked like the handwriting of an elderly woman. It included one of their booklets.
I’ve previously called them and asked to be taken off their door knocking list, but I guess letters are different. 

Mr. Puma received one of these. He has the same name as his late grandfather who was JW so I guess that kind of makes sense. He recycled it.

Flossie

I got a phone call a few weeks ago.  It was from an elderly lady looking for 'May'.  When told I her I wasn't May, she happily started to tell me that she's contacting members from her church to check up on them.  We had a short conversation.  I couldn't be impolite to an old lady.  She said she's a Jehovah's Witness and can't go door to door these days, but did I know that Jesus also went door to door?  No, I'd never heard that.  Anyway, she said she thought she was calling someone in a completely different area code.  She said her name was Gayle, and she lived right here in town, and was surprised she wasn't talking to someone 250 miles away. 

But I did get her off the phone, and now I hope that I won't get any more calls.  I might have to be more direct next time.

Marmion
18 hours ago, adidas said:

What you need to do , if you don't want them to contact you , is to ask to be put on their no contact list .   

BlackberryGirl

Sad, sad situation near me.

“PENN YAN, N.Y. (WROC) — The Yates County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a car crashed into a horse-drawn buggy just east of Penn Yan Sunday afternoon. Seven members of a Mennonite family were on the buggy. All were seriously injured. 
According to the YCSO:

-33-year-old Matthew Sensenig and his wife were airlifted to Strong hospital with head injuries
-their 7-year-old son is in critical condition with multiple internal injuries
-their 7-month-old baby was hospitalized with internal injuries
-three other young boys are being treated for multiple injuries
Officials said that 24-year-old Justin Niver, of Penn Yan was traveling westbound on East Sherman Hollow Road around 5:18 p.m. on Sunday and, “at the crest of a hill approached a slow moving vehicle, traveling in the same direction,” a release from the sheriff’s office said. The slow moving vehicle was described as an open surrey type of horse drawn buggy, operated by Sensenig.

“As Niver was passing the SMV, another vehicle was Eastbound and he collided with the buggy, causing it to leave the roadway and smash apart, ejecting all seven members of the Sensenig family into the ditch and field.”
All members of the family are being treated at Strong Memorial Hospital.

Niver was not injured. His car was impounded. It’s not known yet if he will face charges.

The horse was seriously injured. The sheriff’s office says a veterinarian from Eastview Vet Clinic euthanized the horse at the scene.

we drive through Penn Yan a few times a year. The roads up there are full of buggies. There is also a sect that ride bicycles everywhere. They dress ...not exactly plain, but very different.

Firebird

Sort of a fundie- sighting. I found this book at Salvation Army and am curious how it will turn out. 

PSX_20200810_165429.jpg

Edited by Firebird
Wrong picture

smittykins
On 8/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, BlackberryGirl said:

Sad, sad situation near me.

“PENN YAN, N.Y. (WROC) — The Yates County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a car crashed into a horse-drawn buggy just east of Penn Yan Sunday afternoon. Seven members of a Mennonite family were on the buggy. All were seriously injured. 
According to the YCSO:

-33-year-old Matthew Sensenig and his wife were airlifted to Strong hospital with head injuries
-their 7-year-old son is in critical condition with multiple internal injuries
-their 7-month-old baby was hospitalized with internal injuries
-three other young boys are being treated for multiple injuries
Officials said that 24-year-old Justin Niver, of Penn Yan was traveling westbound on East Sherman Hollow Road around 5:18 p.m. on Sunday and, “at the crest of a hill approached a slow moving vehicle, traveling in the same direction,” a release from the sheriff’s office said. The slow moving vehicle was described as an open surrey type of horse drawn buggy, operated by Sensenig.

“As Niver was passing the SMV, another vehicle was Eastbound and he collided with the buggy, causing it to leave the roadway and smash apart, ejecting all seven members of the Sensenig family into the ditch and field.”
All members of the family are being treated at Strong Memorial Hospital.

Niver was not injured. His car was impounded. It’s not known yet if he will face charges.

The horse was seriously injured. The sheriff’s office says a veterinarian from Eastview Vet Clinic euthanized the horse at the scene.

we drive through Penn Yan a few times a year. The roads up there are full of buggies. There is also a sect that ride bicycles everywhere. They dress ...not exactly plain, but very different.

Also not far from me.  Last I heard, everyone’s condition was improving, and charges are pending against the driver.

BlackberryGirl

Apparently yesterday in Arcade NY, there was ANOTHER Amish buggy accident. Arcade is 50 miles from me the other direction and we go through there often. 

i saw this info on a fb steam that covers 911 calls, but I haven’t seen any further information. Just horrible.

people, you share the road, these horse and buggies don't dart out into the highway.