IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

I have step grandparents and they treat step grandchildren and bio grandchildren the same. Their thinking has always been that you can’t have too many grandchildren or grandparents. 

• Love 15

I hate labels. I have a "half sister" from my mom. I also have a "half sister" from my dad. She was adopted. I feel like that defeats the purpose of "half", because I'm assuming "half" means "half-blooded". Well, she's adopted, so technically she's zero blooded.

Really, I just have two sisters. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 5

16 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I hate labels. I have a "half sister" from my mom. I also have a "half sister" from my dad. She was adopted. I feel like that defeats the purpose of "half", because I'm assuming "half" means "half-blooded". Well, she's adopted, so technically she's zero blooded.

Yeah, I usually say to people when they ask me if I have siblings that I have "Two younger brothers from my Dad, and recently (it's been years now but still) gained 2 younger bonus brothers and my first younger sister from his partner, and then I have four younger brothers from my Mom." And people look at me weird and say, "Do you have any FULL siblings?!" And I'm like, "I'm unique in my genetic mixture but I sure do have a lot of brothers!"

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

I know it’s fiction, but I always liked the scene in “The Brady Bunch” where Bobby complains about being “only a step,” and Carol replies “The only steps in this house are the ones leading to your bedroom.”

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

16 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I hate labels too but for a different reason. My Dad divorced my mom after 35 years and then married the woman he had an affair with. The youngest of the "children" on either side was 28, the oldest like 36.  Technically, we are step siblings, but I feel like that implies some sort of sibling/know each other growing up scenario (also step mom would refer to some mothering type relationship). We were all adults so saying stepsister/stepmother is just weird/doesn't feel quite accurate.  When I mention how I know them, it's my dad, his wife, and her kids. We get along fine, they are nice people, but the terms just don't seem to fit the situation.

All the children are treated as equal grandkids (including the 1/2 sibling) which is good. We send presents for all kids for Christmas/birthdays but my relationship with my brother is different than with her kids.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Y'all! I saw another Jesus Mobile! This one has an orange beacon on top, I guess to help spread the word? They were a car or two ahead of us and Mr. Puma was gracious enough to speed up so I could get a pic! 

Spoiler

Jesus take the wheelIMG_7645.thumb.JPG.af2bdb62dd0a26fda84ca86e705b7521.JPGIMG_7649.thumb.JPG.9379f23d7a57d8107acbb2088b1826d4.JPG

• WTF 2
  • Haha 9

I hate cars like that! They're usually the rudest drivers on the road. 

I've gone back to putting stickers on my back window. I have one small one (about 2" x 2") that's our church logo, I have a #VegasStrong sticker (honoring the 1 October victims, LEOs and First responders), a Takamine logo (bought me a 12 string Takamine guitar the other day), a Vegas Golden Knights (we're in the playoffs again!) sticker and a Sam Ash music store sticker. 

We have a few of those Jesus freak cars here...in Sin City.

• Upvote 4

Is that just painted on?

• Upvote 1

https://ftc.co/resource-library/blog-entries/the-one-life-dream-that-makes-a-girl-blush#.XJoyLU4qAIs.facebook

ughhhhhhh my mom sent me this this morning with the admonition to "read these good words to the end and be encouraged." 

NO. Just, no. 

And what is with these Christian women wanting to be all martyr like and all "lay down your life" and "sacrifice EVERYTHING." 

NO! And as a Christian women I don't think I'm being selfish in saying that either  

Edited by EowynW
  • Upvote 8

Oh good grief.

You can enjoy being a stay at home mom and a homemaker without having to view it as THE MARTYRDOM TO END ALL MARTYRDOMS.

It's just a choice (that I'm grateful to have had).  It's not better or worse, it just is.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

https://www.facebook.com/Compelledlife

They sell every MLM scheme ever, are all over YouTube and she really tried to tell people oils would protect them from measles. Her kids are not vaccinated, and she'll shame you for not having a natural home birth.

Year before last I attended a leadership seminar in Houston for professional executives. Somehow this heifer was a speaker. She tried to guilt the entire crowd and I was disappointed over how many people fell for it. I still don't understand how her birthing book and MLMs had anything to do with the leadership topics. She just kept pointing out flaws and how to fix them with X products. Apparently Young Living oils and a keto diet ensures a pain free  childbirth???

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1

https://ftc.co/resource-library/blog-entries/the-one-life-dream-that-makes-a-girl-blush#.XJoyLU4qAIs.facebook

And notice please in the about the author at the bottom that she's a married, works full-time, mother of 2.

In other words  -- hypocrite much. 

Counselling young women to give it all up, martyr themselves to the home/ hubby/ children while she does everything she's urging them not to do.

I hate women like this.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

39 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

And notice please in the about the author at the bottom that she's a married, works full-time, mother of 2.

In other words  -- hypocrite much. 

Counselling young women to give it all up, martyr themselves to the home/ hubby/ children while she does everything she's urging them not to do.

I hate women like this.

Kind of like Lori?  Do as I say, not as I do seems to be her life motto.  This woman reminds me of her.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I wish I could learn not to let these articles bother me so much. Some days it is hard to kick off all those teachings and learn who I am my own woman. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 12

23 hours ago, EowynW said:

I wish I could learn not to let these articles bother me so much. Some days it is hard to kick off all those teachings and learn who I am my own woman. ?

I know this is much more difficult if you've been raised fundie but that statement you wrote resonated with me because I think it's common to most women these days. I have a quote by Amy Poehler on my wall, "It takes years as a woman to unlearn what you have been taught to be sorry about."

Women in our society are given so many conflicting messages of what a woman *should* be. Some of those come from different people or groups who disagree but most of them (in my opinion) come from within other individuals, including other women. Speak up...but don't be 'aggressive' or 'shrill'. Don't show too much emotion if you want to be taken professionally...but then also, don't be a robot or a 'stone-cold bitch' ?

I also am constantly trying to learn the kind of woman I am and want to be. But I've been so socialized to overthink how every little thing I do can be perceived, even though I logically know that if a man spoke up in a meeting and disagreed and explained calmly the reasoning that they would not give it a second thought and they would not be worried about how it could be perceived negatively.

Next to my Amy Poehler quote is this one by Kavita Ramdas, the former CEO of the Global Fund for Women. I like this quote because it points out the conflicting views of how 'a woman' should behave and act and what an impossible task that may seem but kind of turns it on its head as a possible strength and also that these strengths aren't dichotomous like we are made to believe- we can be both and they don't need to negate another strength deemed 'opposite': "We need women who are so strong they can be gentle, so educated they can be humble, so fierce they can be compassionate, so passionate they can be rational, and so disciplined they can be free.”

• Love 15

There was a dust up about Steven Anderson in my corner of fundie world today. Apparently there's a group of fundies out there believe he's a "new IFB" and not a traditionalist. I think they're all the same personally.  

• Upvote 1

Ugh. A woman just joined a large homeschool fb group that I'm in, asking how to homeschool her kids because she wants to, but can't get them to sit down and doesn't know how to teach them their letters. I snooped on her profile because spidey-senses and she has the same "last name" as the Cora-nut on Lori's page and damned if her relationship status isn't "married to an Israelite, looking for a sister wife." Daddy's in and out of prison and her kind of people are discriminated against by the Hispanics, but god will provide, y'all. And this is why I should be the only person allowed to decided who can and cannot homeschool.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 6

I was just at Disney world at the magic kingdom. I walked into a store and saw a small group. Immediately I see the long, permed hair and the jean skirts. 

They were wearing shirts that say bridesmaids and the bride with them was in shorts and a tank that said “bride” 

amazing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hollywood said:

I was just at Disney world at the magic kingdom. I walked into a store and saw a small group. Immediately I see the long, permed hair and the jean skirts. 

They were wearing shirts that say bridesmaids and the bride with them was in shorts and a tank that said “bride” 

amazing. 

That's so odd. I wonder if some of them were future sisters-in-law and were secretly appalled by her clothing choices, lol.

The JWs came to my door today. I saw them walking the street. I popped my head out when they knocked, joked with them about the weather (strong wind and really warm), took their little tract, and spent the next 15 minutes explaining to my son what a cult was, why people would stay in a cult, and why it's not a good idea to join the JWs. 

My son said, with great satisfaction (he's 7) that he doesn't want to go to Heaven when he dies because he doesn't believe in Jesus and isn't interested in meeting him. :laughing-rolling: He's a strong-minded kid. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

23 hours ago, EowynW said:

This popped up on my feed today. 

What is that accent? I can’t place it... anyways... gotta go find my frumptastic sweats to take my son to soccer today cause it’s freezing out there! I’ll look like a green blob but I’ll be warm thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I'm so sick of this "feminine" bullshit. It's unbelievably clear that I am female. Something about tits. I feel no need to be "feminine"...that'd be faker than shit for me. I don't wear makeup (my skin hates it), I haven't shaved my legs in about 6 months, I don't give a fuck. 

Fuck this shit. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

On 4/13/2019 at 8:11 AM, EyesOpen said:

What is that accent? I can’t place it... anyways... gotta go find my frumptastic sweats to take my son to soccer today cause it’s freezing out there! I’ll look like a green blob but I’ll be warm thanks!

On her youtube channel her location says Denmark

• Thank You 2

OH MY GOD LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN THE CHARITY SHOP I VOLUNTEER FOR!!

A268A4C9-36ED-4AC4-8789-C0A173EDE704.thumb.jpeg.51925abf6875a621dfd09bb9cba5d629.jpeg

• Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 5

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic