Continued from here:

Edited by Coconut Flan
riffle in the thread title
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Y'all pray for me. Spending thanksgiving with all my fundie family. I love them but I have to bite my tongue a lot. 

Good luck! 

• I Agree 2

Not fundie, but I found this in the back of the charity shop I volunteer at:

Spoiler

4283456E-5593-4CE1-AB90-3A4798080D01.thumb.jpeg.5bffcb614069740ea29868b4009d38ec.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

That particular book is one on my ever-changing list of books to buy so I can destroy them.  I do not like censorship, but that one (like the Pearls and Shamblin books) are dangerous to people.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

My (distant) cousin had a horrific car accident with her four kids and two step-kids in the car in September. Her 11 year old daughter died and her son (either 14 or 15) has a TBI

They started a Facebook group to keep friends and family updated on the situation and the kids's recovery (the others were all injured, her step son quite seriously as well). It mostly focuses on the therapy and progress of her son with the TBI now. 

She was raised in a pretty evangelical family but now attends a mainline Protestant church. But, due to her upbringing, a  lot of the friends and family members following the group are more fundagelical. 

The other day, her husband posted a video of her son's therapy which showed some physical progress. This comment followed and I wanted to hunt the woman down and slap her: 

"He is a testimony in the making". 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 5
  • Love 1

On 11/27/2018 at 10:01 AM, mango_fandango said:

Hide contents

4283456E-5593-4CE1-AB90-3A4798080D01.thumb.jpeg.5bffcb614069740ea29868b4009d38ec.jpeg

Quick! Buy it and use the round filing cabinet!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Quick! Buy it and use the round filing cabinet!

Do you have a shredder handy?  I make use of mine when I find garbage like that.  Or I tear the covers off, shred them and then add the pages to the recycle bin.  The round filing cabinet is good too,  But make sure it won't be grabbed back out, so bury it or damage it if you can.

• Upvote 3

On 11/27/2018 at 4:01 PM, mango_fandango said:

Hide contents

Every time I see stuff about Scientology, I think of this: 

I am so freaking excited that Eric Andre is going to be in The Lion King. 

• Haha 2

Sitting at the doctor's office and this is tacked to a dry-erase board in the waiting room. Not quite a fundigelical encounter, but hard to ignore it. There are tracts to the side as well. Any ideas about what this group might be? Apparently this office hosts a bible study every week, might show up sometime out of curiosity/ boredom.

20181206_105958.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

3 minutes ago, precious blessing said:

There are tracts to the side as well.

Yikes!  Hell and brimstone Christianity is so scary to me.  Do the tracts offer any clues on what the group might be?  And now I have some earworm about the neon lights on Broadway....

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Yikes!  Hell and brimstone Christianity is so scary to me.  Do the tracts offer any clues on what the group might be?  And now I have some earworm about the neon lights on Broadway....

I picked up every tract they had, around 20... some of them are quite nice quality, DRod could learn a thing or two. I find it pretty sinister that they seem to harp about death and damnation and most of the people seeing this doctor are ~70ish. I plan on taking pics of the tracts and booklets when I get home, haven't had time to look into it yet. It's purely coincidental but the nurse-lady-person is a dead-ringer for a slightly chubby Jinger Duggar. Similar expressions and everything.

I'm hoping when I look into the tracts some FJites might have some ideas about the group.

Edited by precious blessing
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Here's all the trash i collected.

Some general messages I'm getting:

- No churches will save you! Only Jesus will save you!

- Everything you know is a lie!

- Your friends and loved ones are deceiving you and you should only hang with them if they love Jesus!

- If you want to kill yourself because you're ugly and nobody likes you, well, you're probably right! But even ugly, unlikeable people can be successful, just ask a handicapped person!

- Churches bad! Jesus good! Are you saved? Probably not!

- Much emphasis on walking the true path, or something.

Overall, pretty unsettling to me, particularly the paranoia-stoking stuff. going to delve deeper.

20181206_143650.jpg

This is pretty upsetting.

Spoiler

20181206_144959.thumb.jpg.b6c0e834c2d4b32d700ef2e46e0ddac2.jpg

I looked a bit into Thomas Kelly, apparently he was from Ireland, wrote shitty hymns, and was an evangelist. Can't find much else.. I have to admit, the mention of no church is really bothering me and causing me to wonder about this being a 2x2 offshoot, but that's likely because I *just* learned about them from the other thread. I don't imagine they'd be this rampant with tracts anyway, unless they're seriously dwindling.

Edited by precious blessing
fixed pic
  • Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

Where Cain Got His Wife & What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs came from the Alpha & Omega Institute & were apparently written by Ken Ham. I don't have time to Google the others right now, but they all look like the tracts that were available at the Free Will Baptist church I belonged to. I've seen my Independent Baptist sister with some of those before, too. (She likes to leave them in bathrooms, on gas pumps, & with tips. I sneak behind her & confiscate them if I'm with her.)
They look like pretty standard evangelical tracts. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, precious blessing said:

Sitting at the doctor's office and this is tacked to a dry-erase board in the waiting room. Not quite a fundigelical encounter, but hard to ignore it. There are tracts to the side as well. Any ideas about what this group might be? Apparently this office hosts a bible study every week, might show up sometime out of curiosity/ boredom.

20181206_105958.jpg

Holy shit, that's the most complicated religious diagram I've ever seen!

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

Where Cain Got His Wife & What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs came from the Alpha & Omega Institute & were apparently written by Ken Ham. I don't have time to Google the others right now, but they all look like the tracts that were available at the Free Will Baptist church I belonged to. I've seen my Independent Baptist sister with some of those before, too. (She likes to leave them in bathrooms, on gas pumps, & with tips. I sneak behind her & confiscate them if I'm with her.)
They look like pretty standard evangelical tracts. 

I've seen various tracts left at places like that.  I generally pick them up because a) the Briefly daughter collects them and b) nobody else is going to be polluted by them if they are not there!

It really makes me mad when they are left with tips because usually there is no actual tip left, just the tracts.  Have you seen the ones that look like a folded over $20 bill?  Those are really infuriating.  I think it's a $20, I may have the denomination wrong.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Pammy said:

Newbie ?BRM2720-Historic-and-Prophetic-Diagram_l

That's hysterical! Which brand of Christianity is it? I can't look away...

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

That's hysterical! Which brand of Christianity is it? I can't look away...

I have no idea, I was just looking for good diagrams.

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Pammy said:

I have no idea, I was just looking for good diagrams.

But now I need to know! LOL

A quick Google says it's the work of one Elwin J Woodward, included in his theological book published in 1912. No word on which denomination Mr. Woodward might have belonged to. 

• Upvote 1

I found this description...

https://bostonraremaps.com/inventory/1912-historic-and-prophetic-diagram/

And this digitization of the whole book that the diagram came from...

https://archive.org/details/storyofagesfromc00wood/page/22

The one page says it seems dispensationalist, which, I agree it has the look of one of those charts — but it has no indications of any “dispensations” at all. So that doesn’t seem like the right theory to me.

Edited by Pammy
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I unexpectedly encountered a fundie the other day. I was driving with a date to the south part of my city. A woman on a street corner seemed to be flagging down cars for some reason and we rolled the window down out of curiosity. She was saying, 'If you don't believe in Jesus but think you are going to heaven, you're not! You're going to hell! You will suffer forever without Jesus!" etc. We started joking and laughing a bit because we were both formerly religious but now atheist and agnostic... And having a sexy weekend fling. Anyways she caught my eye, saw me laughing, and her expression became angry. She stomped towards the car, screaming and waving her rather large leather Bible: "I will not be ashamed of the Word of God! I am not ashamed!"... And so on. I thought she was going to throw the Bible at my head through the window. Thankfully the light turned green and we quickly rolled the window up and drove away.
It was one of the strangest and most unpleasant fundie encounters I've ever had. She had so much rage at the ready.

• Confused 1
  • WTF 6

We went on vacation to Arizona last week. My daughter and I went ice skating in Flagstaff and as we were putting on our skates, a fundie-looking family walked in. There were 6 kids total, elemenatry-ish ages up to maybe junior high. The girls had on long skirts, and the mother also had on a long skirt and was pregnant with #7. One of the girls who was maybe 10-ish had her own skates and all the others had to rent. 

As a side note, coming home through Bakersfield, CA, there is a VERY LARGE sign on the side of the 58 west that says JESUS. I always mean to take a picture of it but never remember til it's too late. California is a liberal state but there are a lot of fundies and religious folks in the rural areas.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

As a side note, coming home through Bakersfield, CA, there is a VERY LARGE sign on the side of the 58 west that says JESUS. I always mean to take a picture of it but never remember til it's too late. California is a liberal state but there are a lot of fundies and religious folks in the rural areas.

You missed the smaller signs for the crazy religious radio station (I think some of those people got in trouble for not believing in income tax)., the life advice from God billboards, and the Trump shrine house? I think all the Manswaygodsway billboards are gone now, but there are a ton of evangelical billboards in the area (not quite as many as Vegas, but that's another story.)

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic