IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

Do tell!!

Does he cuss, dance, play cards, go to the movies, kiss on the 1st date, play hands-y, have foreign fits (roamin' hands and rushin' fingers), drink,?      :my_wink:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Well, first off, he does NOT have a plane without wings.  I asked.

He has been repressed his entire life,  with guilt trips on any self-indulgent anything, from food, to travel, to sleeping in.

He is a widower now, almost a year (too soon in my book) and he lives just far enough away for it to be annoying.

Apparently, though, he is more than ok with lingerie photos of a woman he met once.   For lunch.  In public.  More than ok .... "you are my dream girl" (who says that? TitRod?)

I asked him about how does he reconcile a pastor possibly having a carnal relationship with a single woman....  and after some time, he came back and said he thought "it was up to the individual" on how they handled it.  Cop out IMHO.

Red flags galore on "keeping us a secret" and "not meeting in his town" so... this is nothing, if not an interesting foray.

More details as they happen.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:01 AM, MarblesMom said:

Red flags galore on "keeping us a secret" and "not meeting in his town" so... this is nothing, if not an interesting foray.

I suspect you've googled him, checked his social media and maybe checked out  his late wife's obit? 

• Upvote 4

This story just gets better and better.  It turns out he is my 5th cousin, per my ancestry.com research... his grandma and mom have been in my tree since 2009.

The wife's funeral was live streamed and I watched the file.  I have checked his social media and did a background check on him, as well as checked out his church's website.  He is legit - but he has never had a "private" life and as this is new territory for him, he is not sure he wants to have to answer questions from his parishioners... just enjoy the relationship as it unfolds...

More as it happens...   :P

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

• 4 weeks later...

Met some youngsters handing these tracts out around Vanderbilt Stadium before the game.  They were very insistent we all needed to learn about Jeee-zus.  I declined,  but my ever-nice husband took one.  Surprise- it is a Michael Pearl production and as disgusting as you might imagine.  Photo under spoiler of front and back.  Ick. 

Spoiler

20211023_184038.thumb.jpg.37d2835611adfc9f962307cc54ed80b8.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1

hahahahaha "your sins are forgiven" but if dirty rotten filthy you doesn't buy in to being forgiven and saved by someone who thinks you are despicable, you're fair game for brutal condemnation.  There is "No Greater Joy" for the Pearls than condemning apostates, heretics, anyone not saved or as unattainably holy as the Pearls themselves. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I'm a Christian and that tract would seriously make me think twice. My church starts with "God is Love" and goes from there. There's no fire and brimstone preaching done, at all. 

That version of Christianity is repulsive. No wonder they don't get many converts. 

• Upvote 17

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm a Christian and that tract would seriously make me think twice. My church starts with "God is Love" and goes from there.

I'm no longer Christian, but there is a Presbyterian pastor in my city, Jim Rigby, who posts transcendent remarks on his facebook page, always straight from the heart, and I'm inspired reading every word he writes. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Which well-snarked fundies do the roadside preaching deal with all the hellfire signs? I know the Rods have. My college's campus in Philly gets those on a semi-regular basis, but today it was a family. I don't expect them to be people FJ knows but they seemed like a sad one. Hair covered in bandanas, floor-length skirts, some adopted daughters of different races. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, goddefinedcalves said:

Which well-snarked fundies do the roadside preaching deal with all the hellfire signs? I know the Rods have. My college's campus in Philly gets those on a semi-regular basis, but today it was a family. I don't expect them to be people FJ knows but they seemed like a sad one. Hair covered in bandanas, floor-length skirts, some adopted daughters of different races. 

Those are very popular in Vegas. I stopped one on the street and asked him if he thought that Las Vegas didn't have any churches. He started babbling on about "Sin City". I asked him again. He finally said no. I pulled up a list of churches in Vegas, forget Clark County), there's like over 100, all denominations, along with other religions. He looked shocked. I told him to go the hell home and practice what he was preaching and stop bothering the tourists. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Those are very popular in Vegas. I stopped one on the street and asked him if he thought that Las Vegas didn't have any churches. He started babbling on about "Sin City". I asked him again. He finally said no. I pulled up a list of churches in Vegas, forget Clark County), there's like over 100, all denominations, along with other religions. He looked shocked. I told him to go the hell home and practice what he was preaching and stop bothering the tourists. 

Wait… But… Las Vegas is known for being the “Marriage Capital of the World.” There are a lot of chapels located on the Las Vegas Strip.

A chapel is a place of worship… How do people miss that?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

Wait… But… Las Vegas is known for being the “Marriage Capital of the World.” There are a lot of chapels located on the Las Vegas Strip.

A chapel is a place of worship… How do people miss that?

I guess its the Elvis impersonators as officiants that throws them off.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, Howl said:

Now I'm tempted to look at the video.  Natty delaying tying the knot  for so long makes me think he's never been excited about the prospect of marriage, but if Nathaniel has further political ambitions and you know he does, he's got to have a wife by his side. 

He does look moderately happy here, though:  Nathaniel Darnell and Abigail Cochran Wedding Website   They were married in July, in the midst of the pandemic, so there's that.

Their story is cringeworthy due to the usual elements:  homeschool, Trinitarian god!, interviewed by her dad so patriarchy, courtship, she a musician who works to save the preborn.  

However, it looks like Natty is only 32. Can that be right? I assumed he was in his 40s. 

He has tried to get married a dozen times before he finally was able to snag the girl 15+ years his junior … months after meeting her. 🤷🏻‍♀️

also yes; he’s in his 40’s. 

• Upvote 4

I was riding public transit and some earnest young man with a Bible started making small talk with me. After he didn't take the hint that I wasn't responding and shaking my head no (as in I don't want to talk) I told him it was my stop and got up and changed cars. Ain't got no time for that.

• Upvote 9

Spent part of my morning in a Mennonite owned car repair shop. Like every Mennonite I’ve ever met, scrupulously clean and well ordered. they have a small deli on the property run by Mennonite women. Going into the restroom to see a large decor sign saying “Seek God.” Is a little strange, but they balance it with a huge varied selection of reading material  and NO tv with Faux news. 

got hit with a 400+ plus bill and the counterman mentioned If I had a horse and buggy it would be cheaper.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 12

• 1 month later...

My church's motto is "Love God, and love people".

My previous church opened a church in Vegas and it has gotten huge.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

My church's motto is "Love God, and love people".

My previous church opened a church in Vegas and it has gotten huge.

Are you talking about Verve Church in Vegas? Vince Antonucci did David's funeral. 

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Are you talking about Verve Church in Vegas? Vince Antonucci did David's funeral. 

No, and I am sorry, I don't know the name of the church in Vegas.  I should  know it because I have heard it a bunch of times, but I have forgotten.  I do know it isn't that one.

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

No, and I am sorry, I don't know the name of the church in Vegas.  I should  know it because I have heard it a bunch of times, but I have forgotten.  I do know it isn't that one.

THere are a couple more, but Verve is the one I know. Vince planted a church in Virginia Beach that's pretty big now. 

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

Valley Bible Fellowship?

• 1 month later...

I hope some Tampa-area fundy ladies sneak out for a coffee and to see this IBLP-inspired art exhibit:

https://www.cltampa.com/arts/in-northdale-tampa-artist-ashley-cassens-fights-womens-repression-one-tiny-portrait-at-a-time-12721851

In Northdale, Tampa artist Ashley Cassens fights women’s repression one tiny portrait at a time
‘Eye Traps’ is at Elevation coffee until Jan. 29.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

On 1/20/2022 at 7:48 AM, HereticHick said:

In Northdale, Tampa artist Ashley Cassens fights women’s repression one tiny portrait at a time

‘Eye Traps’ is at Elevation coffee until Jan. 29.

Wow, I really like her work and would never have heard of this otherwise. Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic