IGNORED

Straitway Helpmeets

Sister_Wife

While searching for gardening videos a while back I came across this group in Tennesse (although it seems they have communities in multiple locations in the US and Canada)

I’ve watched a lot of their videos now and it seems like a polygamous, head covering, follow the leader, true Israelite cult...

Here is their trailer: 

https://youtu.be/xAlfuemdd0I

The leader Pastor Charles Dowell also has his own channel in which he imparts .... truth.... on all manner of cherry picked topics. I haven’t watched much of his stuff because I generally find his ranty tangents hard to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PastorDowell

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7

Goodness me, a video on.....unloading groceries. How illuminating. [emoji849]

ETA: oh sweet barking cheese, what a rabbit hole.

Send the ferrets if I’m not back by tomorrow. This is prime grade A crazy here.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 17

4 hours ago, bea said:

.....unloading groceries. How illuminating. emoji849.png

We think so!

Sincerely,

The Maxwells

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 36
  • Love 1

So, I went to Straitway's website. They believe diabetes, all types, is always a result of sin.
Excuse me? 

The spiritual root behind diabetes is; Rejection, self hatred, guilt, and low self esteem. A person has to learn how to receive God’s love to overcome the spirit of Diabetes. I personally do not care what the medical community says about this disease. My experience in dealing with this spirit tells me that the power of Jesus is greater than the power of this world.

These assumptions are so very wrong and so, so dangerous. How can they say things like this? Insulin-dependent diabetics literally DIE without medication. No amount of praying will help them if they don't have access to insulin and proper equipment. This makes me really angry.
For those who want to read more on what they have to say about diabetes, here's the link. Yes, they have a separate page on the topic.

Oooooh the crazy doesn't stop there. I read more. On Jezebel: 
"Any woman that has a lust for control and leadership has a Jezebel spirit."
Well, this is definitely something Lori A. could get behind.

What is wrong with these people?!?!?!?!?!?

Edited by Marly
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 11

I looked at the website and the only thing that made me feel better is that the pastor only has two children. I also didn’t see anything about encouraging people to be quiverful either. So hopefully this wacky group stays small and dies out.

• Upvote 7

Dang, this rabbit hole comes at a terribly inconvenient time!! Fascinating stuff... 

How many wives does Pastor Dowell have? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Marly said:

So, I went to Straitway's website. They believe diabetes, all types, is always a result of sin.
Excuse me? 

oh wait until @feministxtian reads this!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Dang, this rabbit hole comes at a terribly inconvenient time!! Fascinating stuff... 

How many wives does Pastor Dowell have? 

The FAQ on his website claims only one.

• Thank You 1

"spiritual root" my ass. Goddamn these people are fucking morons. The fucking medical community SAVED hub's life. The medical community keeps him alive every goddamn day. 

Fuck these idiots...just fuck them. I'd like to stab them with a shitload of goddamn insulin syringes and let them FEEL what he goes through every fucking day. 

Edited by feministxtian
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 24

@feministxtian amen sister! Preach! As a Type 2 and the daughter, sister, granddaughter, & niece of a whole family of Type 2s, as well as the mother-in-law of a Type 1 & friend of an late-in-life-onset Type 1, I heartily concur.
For the record, my doc says that with my family history, there was no way my sister & I were NOT going to end up diabetic, no matter what we ate or didn't eat or how much we weighed. (My mom weighed about 110lbs when she was diagnosed.)

• Love 14

On 11/9/2018 at 7:36 AM, Sister_Wife said:

Looks like they removed their trailer video ??‍♀️

Yeah, I couldn't get it, either. But that unloading groceries video.... wow. 

• Upvote 1

So only the "brothers" are allowed to unload the beer?

And I keep misreading the title as Stairway  Helpmeets. :laughing-rolling:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

54 minutes ago, smittykins said:

So only the "brothers" are allowed to unload the beer?

And I keep misreading the title as Stairway  Helpmeets. :laughing-rolling:

Me too! I thought this was going to be a thread for some kind of new helpmeet. Lol

Their site is too hard to read on a phone. I hate those dark backrounds for reading too.

• Upvote 3

I think cults are so fascinating.  I've watched a few of their videos today and the one called Lust Problem by the pastor - he does talk about being allowed multiple wives.  He calls it polgyny not polygamy.  There are a few videos calling out this cult item by item.  Those poor sisters look like they are working 24/7 slaving away.

• Upvote 3

I have two research papers due soon.  Why did you throw me this intriguing new rabbit hole?  Although, my brain is kinda mushy and I could use a new distraction.  I have no self-control....

Edited by VooDooChild
wrong thread. I have swiss cheese for a brain.
  • Upvote 3

@J'emima Puddlecluck,  technically, in anthropological terms, polygyny is the practice of a man having multiple wives.  Polygamy is the overarching term for multiple spouses.  It applies to both men and women.  The term for a woman having multiple husbands is polyandry.  Of the forms of polygamy, polyandry is pretty rare worldwide.  The only group that I know practiced polyandry were the Tibetan people.  Suitable land for grazing was so scarce that several men (particularly brothers) might marry one woman.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

Thank you for explaining that.  So interesting!  I can understand a man wanting more wives but I don't know of any woman that wants more than one husband.  Unless of course they are the top ten recently noted in People magazine!   :thumbsup:

• Haha 11