IGNORED

The Midterms: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Destiny

My husband wants to go to a watch party to see the results tonight. I want to stay home and drink in my pajamas. He's all about solidarity with others, while I'm all about solidarity with my couch. I hate to make him go alone, but we'll see what happens.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

My husband wants to go to a watch party to see the results tonight. I want to stay home and drink in my pajamas. He's all about solidarity with others, while I'm all about solidarity with my couch. I hate to make him go alone, but we'll see what happens.

I'm torn myself but leaning towards drinking in my pajamas.

It's funny, I've so been looking forward to this day for two years right up until yesterday.  Today I woke up feeling numb to the point of disinterest.  I don't understand it.  Maybe it's the remembering of the trauma of that awful night causing me to shut down.  My brain and body trying to protect themselves. 

40 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I would go if I was assured that I wasn't going to be spending the night crying. I thought 2016 would be fun. How wrong was I? 

@Destiny That’s a big part of it. If it goes sideways, I really don’t want to be in a room of strangers, no matter if we’re all on the same side. 

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

My husband is doing the same thing. I'll be home in my pajamas instead too.

Well, we will all probably be here, whether it's tears or celebration. I decided to quit drinking because I want to lose some weight, but I think I'm going to make tonight an exception.

We have tickets to the theater tonight. We'll be seeing Get On Your Feet: The Gloria Estefan Story. When I was picking dates for our subscription, I failed to realize tonight was elections night. East coast will be called by the time we get out- around 10 PM.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Voting and getting involved in politics is about the only way to change the system. Start at the local level and work your way up, which is how the GOP managed to end up rigging the system to rule as a minority.

I have little patience for people like that anymore. 

This is so true--from school boards on up. Who represents you absolutely matters.

I watched the video---WTF is wrong with that woman?  She doesn't think we should be a democracy?

She is so smug and self-righteous that it was hard to watch. And I don't vote thinking that my candidate is going to fix everything.

But what the heck do you do when your local area, rep, senators  and state are all on par with your thoughts, yet you're stuck with Trump at the federal level. God I hate the idea of  a democratic republic. It should be one person, 1 vote; a true democracy. I do not need "others" voting for me. The majority should not be ruled by a select minority. PEOPLE vote, not land masses.

20 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Well, we will all probably be here, whether it's tears or celebration. I decided to quit drinking because I want to lose some weight, but I think I'm going to make tonight an exception.

Vodka, no carbs. It's the only alcohol I'm allowed on my plan.

https://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/811829/vodka-instead-of-wine

And apparently you can use it as a skincare product!

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/drinks/a18825988/vodka-health-benefits/

Now excuse me while I assume the fetal position with a blanket over my head until this is over. Anxiety is sky high. Maybe I'll go to my neighbors and watch the Descendants 2 with their daughter...

Who am I kidding? Pass me a vodka soda under my blanket.

TiL people are still so afraid of computers they need a paper ballot because touch screens are "too complicated."  There are two different people who feel that way which is scary.

I took my "I Voted" sticker to send to @Destiny rather than refuse with a snarky comment about wasting tax dollars.  Iow I behaved.

Place was wasn't that busy, hope that doesn't mean anything.

Fuck you Trump for taking away my options to support a third party if i wished.  Fuck you for making me so afraid I voted a straight protest ticket against you.    Fuck you for making me vote for someone I hate less than you rather and robbing me of the chance to possibly supporting someone who might suck slightly less.

I did it but I still think it was pointless and a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

https://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/811829/vodka-instead-of-wine

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/drinks/a18825988/vodka-health-benefits/

Now excuse me while I assume the fetal position with a blanket over my head until this is over. Anxiety is sky high. Maybe I'll go to my neighbors and watch the Descendants 2 with their daughter...

I've got a fresh bottle.

Fun fact vodka is also handy for killing flies if one gets into your house.

1 minute ago, WiseGirl said:

Don't turn on the TV- CNN shows one thing and FOX something completely different. Same races, same % of vote counted. And how can Kaine be declared the winner in VA when he is behind and only 1% of the vote is in? 

I just inadvertently called my coworkers stupid for their votes for our ancient terrible embarrassing house rep, and I could get fired. But also .. ITS NOT OKAY to vote for someone who is so shitty. 

14 minutes ago, Destiny said:

CLOSING TIME YAY!

Thank you, @Destiny, for all the work you do and care you put into this forum...giving people a place to stay engaged and informed.  

Just now, Maggie Mae said:

I just inadvertently called my coworkers stupid for their votes for our ancient terrible embarrassing house rep, and I could get fired. But also .. ITS NOT OKAY to vote for someone who is so shitty. 

I did not vote for Feinstein...now, my other option was also a Democrat, so I was OK with it. I'm old too, but I think 80+ year olds need to find another hobby and let in some fresh blood.

@formergothardite Interesting points. I’m not sure if politics is “about the only way” but it is a way. IMO you need a combination of people working both in and outside of the system. Actually, I think that radical people working outside the system are integral to changes within the system. Sometimes it’s they who nudge the bar forward when the system resists change. Then, people within the system take that momentum. Clearly, this is all theoretical. 

And yes, a lot of people didn’t vote. Though I’m not sure if more people voted in 2016, if it would have brought a different result. Plus, election hacking. 

Anyways, I think this election is important, I hope there is a blue wave. 

And naturally, fuck Trump, the current Republican Party and the underlying institutional systems that perpetuate violence and oppression. 

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I did not vote for Feinstein...now, my other option was also a Democrat, so I was OK with it. I'm old too, but I think 80+ year olds need to find another hobby and let in some fresh blood.

I would have preferred not to vote for Stabenow for the same reason, but not voting for her was not an option.

13 minutes ago, outtheblue said:

Feeling nauseous over the GA governor results...

Where are the votes from? Are Atlanta and surrounding areas in?

Ug FL...always friggen FL

Just now, SassyPants said:

Where are the votes from? Are Atlanta and surrounding areas in?

Ug FL...always friggen FL

I'm not sure exactly, just not feeling good over the whole thing...I knew it would take somewhat of a miracle to turn GA blue though. I would feel better if the wave at least hit other states.

53 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

TiL people are still so afraid of computers they need a paper ballot because touch screens are "too complicated."  There are two different people who feel that way which is scary.

With issues like what has been going on in Georgia with electronic voting, I actually think it's reasonable to prefer a paper ballot, not scary at all.

• Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived