IGNORED

The Midterms: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Destiny

Hi friends! Much like we did in 2016, I'm going to make a thread for the midterms. It will open up with the polls tomorrow. Feel free to put your tears, your celebrations, your polling info, your I voted, basically whatever happens tomorrow related to the midterms here. 

Polls open at 7am on the East Coast, so this thread will open then as well. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone going out to vote, keep this in mind:

To all of you standing in line for hours on end to exercise your democratic right to vote, hold on, keep faith, and make sure that blue wave happens. I'm rooting for you! 

image.png.01d11ade9fbbc7abf91abf3dadb642cd.png

Every two years since I was five years old I’ve watched the election returns and since the web came in the scene I sit obsessively and refresh the browser constantly. 

Two years ago I ended up with a severe panic attack curled up on the floor. 

Is this going to be the first time I don’t monitor the results?  I’m not sure I can deal this time. 

Important info for those of you running into any difficulties voting:

52 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Important info for those of you running into any difficulties voting:

How are they going to have one line for "Asia and pacific languages?" I know Filipinos who communicate in English because they can't understand each other's native language. 

I voted two weeks ago today.  

The one thought I keep having that gives me hope for Beto is...no one expected Doug Jones would ever beat Roy Moore either.

But he did.  :)

27 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

To make things easier for you :pizza:

Someone sent pizza to the loooong early voting line yesterday and conservatives lost their mind on local radio. 

The world is weird. 

5 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Someone sent pizza to the loooong early voting line yesterday and conservatives lost their mind on local radio. 

The world is weird. 

The Repugliklans are all about voter suppression. They are well aware that the more people vote, the bigger the chances are of the blue wave happening. it's no wonder they freak out at these kinds of deeds that keep people motivated to stay in line.

I'm curious what kind of shit they're spouting about it though. What kind of arguments did they have against feeding people in line to vote?

No line here. I just walked right in. The democratic candidates didn't even bothering sending people to campaign in the parking lot. 

Over the past few days, I've been part of a texting campaign for various and assorted races going on around the country. So, if anyone got a reminder text about voting for your local candidate - it might have been from me! :pb_razz:

The lists aren't vetted by party though, so there is potential for some interesting pushback. I got one response with a lengthy and detailed request for how, when, where and with what I could F myself. Jarring but mildly entertaining. So I respond back with a "So sorry for bothering you. I'll remove you from our lists". To which I get a response back of "Thank you so much. I really appreciate you doing that." Holy response whiplash...

My husband's favorite was the person who decided to respond by spamming him with cat facts. We spent a good portion of last night entertaining ourselves with said cat facts. Did you know cats have 32 muscles in their ears? I now do! :animals-cat:

When I saw the name @Destiny gave this thread, I expected to mostly see the good, and maybe a slight dash of the bad. But I never thought to see any ugly.

I was wrong.

Just wanted to Bob in and say that I’m sending you all my thoughts and prayers (to any God/Rufus you wish)  hopefully today is a turning point for beating the evil the White House has become.

watching it from across the pond has been horrific, I can’t even begin to imagine what you guys are living with on a daily bases. 

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Every two years since I was five years old I’ve watched the election returns and since the web came in the scene I sit obsessively and refresh the browser constantly. 

Two years ago I ended up with a severe panic attack curled up on the floor. 

Is this going to be the first time I don’t monitor the results?  I’m not sure I can deal this time. 

Meet me in the hall closet.  I'll be the one with the blanket over my head, trembling and talking to myself.

16 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Meet me in the hall closet.  I'll be the one with the blanket over my head, trembling and talking to myself.

I’ll bring the Ativan. Oh and twizzlers, popcorn, and chips and queso for the stress eating 

10 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Is there room for another one? I'll bring ice cream!

No worries because the closet expands to fit all FJers  who enter 

Something to cheer all of you huddling in that closet together. I'm picturing it being like Mr. Weasley's little tent :my_biggrin:.

(Such a pity I don't have a portkey right now, or I'd come and join you)

I wish you all the luck in the world for this election. Here the fingers and paws are crossed and the lucky charmes are rubbed. And  I offer to send Glühwein and homemade applecrumble cake for the panic closet.

23 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

No worries because the closet expands to fit all FJers  who enter 

If only it had the other capabilities of the Tardis -- maybe we could go back and prevent this mess.

I can contribute a package of snack size Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and three leftover Entenmann’s Halloween chocolate cupcakes(with brown/orange sprinkles), but I’m keeping the Mrs. Freshley’s Buddy Bars. :pb_lol:

Just went voting about 15 minutes ago with my sister. My place had no line but we are one of the top districts in our state that has high voters turnout so I'm not too nervous about that.

I have no idea how to feel, especially because last time I was so excited to vote for our first women president and in person (after years of voting absentee for college). But I know I will NOT be sober for results again because of last time.

Dropped off my ballot this morning. It wasn't very busy, but the majority of Californians vote by mail.

• Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived