IGNORED

QAnon: Paranoid Trumpers on Steroids

Cartmann99

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Qspiracy taking it to the next level.

Honestly not sure what I am finding funnier - that the plaintiff is described as "a member in good standing of We the People", or that they're asking for every official elected since 2017 to resign. 

Or that they will fill those vacant seats with (presumably unelected?) members of We the People.

Or that they specifically say "we're not lawyers, don't knock the case out on any filing errors, judge solely on the merits of the case".

I'm not sure they understand how any of this works. I am not a lawyer in any country, but even I know that you need to file in the right court/jurisdiction. 

How much time and money is being wasted on this rubbish, seriously?

• Upvote 10

Just saw this interesting piece on VOX about how the Satanic Panic of the 80s never really ended but morphed.

Perhaps the most common misunderstanding about “Satanic Panic” — the societal fear of the occult that troubled the US and other parts of the world throughout the 1980s and into the early 1990s — is that it ever ended.

One of the most famous, prolonged mass media scares in history, Satanic Panic was characterized at its peak by fearful media depictions of godless teenagers and the deviant music and media they consumed. This, in turn, led to a number of high-profile criminal cases that were heavily influenced by all the social hysteria. Most people associate the Satanic Panic with so-called “satanic ritual abuse,” a rash of false allegations made against day care centers in the ’80s, and with the case of the West Memphis Three in the ’90s, in which three teenagers whose wrongful conviction on homicide charges was based on little more than suspicion over their goth lifestyles.

In October 2017, an anonymous 4chan user going by “Q” began claiming insider knowledge about a vast satanic pedophile ring involving democrats, high-powered celebrities, and world leaders. Q’s conspiracy theory held that President Donald Trump was pretending to be incompetent so that he could more effectively apprehend the pedophiles in government around him — pedophiles who, in addition to practicing satanic rites and sexual abuse, were also trafficking children to harvest their hormones and make serums that would provide them eternal youth.

The Q conspiracy quickly became known as QAnon — the name for both the theory itself and Q’s followers. As QAnon spread, it became a textbook example of Satanic Panic in action; its followers weaponized parents’ fears of harm coming to their children to spread the message across social media. The group used hashtags like the superficially unobjectionable #SaveTheChildren, and disguised itself against takedown attempts by Facebook by masquerading as a straightforward anti-trafficking community.

I remember growing up back in the stone age 80s how that was the number one topic of concern for parents, religious leaders, and educators.  They were always worried that if a kid was the slightest bit rebellious it meant they worshipped Satan and hung out in fields and empty buildings near small communities such as Peosta conducting bizarre Satanic rituals.  By the time I graduated from high school the Santanic panic around here had been replaced with the war on minorities the war on drugs.

• Upvote 9

On 3/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Audrey2 said:

So let me make sure I understand. Armed intruders invading the Capitol- not scary, just Patriotic Freedom, but cookies? OMG terrifying!

Brussels sprout cookies? :crying-yellow:

• Haha 6

On 4/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, Ozlsn said:

Honestly not sure what I am finding funnier - that the plaintiff is described as "a member in good standing of We the People", or that they're asking for every official elected since 2017 to resign. 

This lawsuit is straight-up classic Sovereign Citizen wack-a-do wing-nuttery. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

This video was filmed at the Save America Summit that's being hosted by the Women for America First nutters. :cray-cray:

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 6

Sidney Powell's defense in her lawsuit is to claim that nobody would be crazy enough to believe her, but she's going to be one of the keynote speakers at this gathering:

image.thumb.png.e0bbf5ba59c535b23c5f391f42345910.png

More details under the spoiler:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.29787aec9c728d42abc74c64cc3fc50b.png

image.thumb.png.968dfcf086a256b3bee066e2adf7fdea.png

Rufus bless, there's a video. Here's a still of Trump playing cowboy with Pepe in the background:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.eda3e63463c783fbcc267468666aa3ea.png

Closer view of Dear Leader:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4134412bf800489a780aa7792b331a70.png

Some of the speakers and featured guests:

Michael Flynn:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7e42f228daf19471c89e39fbe0b26ca3.png

Sidney Powell:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.023b494dbcb179f89eb9a84cc9bb6cc2.png

Louie Gohmert:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1da84bb98d23434004a02a8b7fd742d2.png

Allen West:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3978635e6f653d13f02c4f3f86f0e7e8.png

• WTF 6
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

15 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Rufus bless, there's a video. Here's a still of Trump playing cowboy with Pepe in the background:

Reveal hidden contents

I love how the poor horse is turning away like he's thinking that he doesn't want to be associated with the moron on his back.

• Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I love how the poor horse is turning away like he's thinking that he doesn't want to be associated with the moron on his back.

I see the horse as Rizo the Rat in this scene:

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

she's going to be one of the keynote speakers at this gathering

Sweet Rufus, I'm weirdly impressed by the number of alt-reich wing-nut Big Lie bloviators being gathered in one spot.  Not too surprised by Sidney's attendance, though; it's in her home town.  

Also consider that "Q" has not posted in many months, although many of his self-appointed proxies have. 

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

As if Trump would ever be seen near a horse, let alone ride one!

He'd be riding like this:

1868957452_scaredTrump.png.12ba23d002150a15f62ccaa7a60784e3.png

• Haha 12

Oh shit oh dear. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night -- well, that and worrying that Joe Manchin will decide to become a Republican.  Anyway, this paragon of wing-nut crazy in AZ has decided to run for Secretary of State. Were he to win, he's be in charge of running Arizona elections. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 6
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Sweet Rufus, I'm weirdly impressed by the number of alt-reich wing-nut Big Lie bloviators being gathered in one spot.  Not too surprised by Sidney's attendance, though; it's in her home town.  

Also consider that "Q" has not posted in many months, although many of his self-appointed proxies have. 

Are they actually gathering or are they speaking remotely? The security must be a nightmare.

• Upvote 3

It's being held at Gilley's -- a multi venue event complex in Dallas (gilleysdallas.com). I'm sure the attendees won't bother with masks and could GAF about COVID.  Hadn't really thought about whether the big-name speakers like Flynn would attend in person or remotely. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Are they actually gathering or are they speaking remotely? The security must be a nightmare.

Looks like there's still rooms left at the conference hotel if you want to pop over from Australia. :wink-kitty:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.75e4fa9508a50dd1bd97a91e6053ed9d.png

Those lines on the floor make me think of the chalk outlines they'd use to show where the dead bodies landed on old detective/cop shows. :confusion-shrug:

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Looks like there's still rooms left at the conference hotel if you want to pop over from Australia

Ha! OK, I'm laughing for three reasons here - wouldn't want to go for political reasons, there's a freaking pandemic this bunch of morons seem to be oblivious to, and also due to said pandemic I would need a travel exemption from my government to leave the country... and I'm nowhere near connected enough to get it for that!

And buggered if I'm quarantining for a fortnight on return for those schmucks.

• Upvote 6

31 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Looks like there's still rooms left at the conference hotel

Good grief, what is that phallic thing on view from the two queen beds motel room?  I didn't think Dallas had a spire like that.  San Antonio?  Seattle?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Howl said:

It's being held at Gilley's -- a multi venue event complex in Dallas (gilleysdallas.com). I'm sure the attendees won't bother with masks and could GAF about COVID.  Hadn't really thought about whether the big-name speakers like Flynn would attend in person or remotely. 

Are they going to ride the mechanical bull?(I’ll forever associate Gilley’s with the movie Urban Cowboy.)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Are they going to ride the mechanical bull?(I’ll forever associate Gilley’s with the movie Urban Cowboy.)

Great minds think alike- I was just coming to post my SEVERE ire that my beloved Urban Cowboy would be besmirched by having its background venue shared by this band of buffoons.  The most elegant wedding EVER was the one betwixt Bud and Sissy at Gilley's!  

• Upvote 4

I'm thinking about getting this when it comes out:

• Upvote 6

Nick Carmody (JD, MS Psych) @Nick_Carmody on Twitter studies QAnon dynamics --  psychological, social, neurological.  Always interesting. He does a lot of "nested threads that reference other threads" that are frustrating to read, so I'll just do some cut and paste: 

…one of the overlooked factors of Qanon: there’s an interactive, crowd-sourcing component where people compete, receive a “reward” (dopamine) for being the *cleverest*, connecting the furthest dispersed dots, & for (most absurdly) advancing the “story” the furthest/quickest. 

Essentially, Qanon has become a multi-million player Dungeons & Dragons-like, choose your own adventure game that is metaphorically being played within the confines of a Doomsday cult-like “escape room.”

Now let’s take everything above, and examine the religious component that underlies Qanon, and how/why “ridiculously entertaining...and intoxicatingly addictive” conspiracy theories may influence the Religious Right’s conspiracy theory susceptibility and attraction to Trump:

“…reality can "boring", and that people don’t like randomness/ambiguity, or [the idea] we’re at the mercy of forces...we don’t understand/can’t comprehend...and that "conspiracy theories are ridiculously entertaining...and intoxicatingly addictive"

Well, an argument can be made that religion was an attempt to explain a random/ambiguous world (reality) that people didn't/couldn't understand or comprehend with "ridiculously entertaining" narratives/stories.

Applying this criteria, an argument can be made that religion was the "original sin": The original conspiracy theory.

This also explains why so many Christians support a guy who not only violates every value they claim to hold, but whose pathological dishonesty has resulted in 20k documented lies: Trump's entire existence is a "ridiculously entertaining" conspiracy theory.

Medium: Why Your Christian Friends and Family Members Are So Easily Fooled by Conspiracy Theories

So much good stuff here, from back in 2019: 

...Another thing that may play into this is that due to their unwavering faith in an all-knowing, all powerful, patriarchal figure who looks after and protects them, despite inexplicably allowing (if not causing) unspeakable cruelty and suffering to exist and occur…....evangelicals seem to have a predisposition towards authoritarian strong men who claim be the smartest, know the best words, know more than the generals, who only "I alone" can fix things, have super health, etc, who also causes and exhibits unspeakable harm and cruelty...

And an unroll, from 2 years ago:  There's also a religious authoritarianism component to Evangelical support.

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 9

10 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

If it's so rejuvenating why don't we all just use daily Epipen shots?

Silly @AmazonGrace, how can anything be rejuvenating if it doesn't come from juveniles? Sheesh... 

/s

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Jim Caviezel goes full adrenochrome qanon

https://www.thewrap.com/passion-of-the-christ-star-jim-caviezel-pushes-false-qanon-conspiracy-at-right-wing-conference/

This harvesting children's adrenaline angle seems so stupid. If it's so rejuvenating why don't we all just use daily Epipen shots?

I was just coming here to make note of that myself.  Playing Jesus went to this guy’s head. 

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

More nuttery from Lin Wood at the conference that @AmazonGrace and @47of74 were talking about.

Hide contents

Prince Say What GIF

That fuck stick Wood shouldn't be within a million miles of a law license.  Or any sort of professional license, for that matter.  He's a fucking disgrace to the profession. 

• Upvote 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic