IGNORED

Unmarried Fundies 6: After the Rapture

Bethella

On 1/6/2019 at 6:35 PM, Aine said:

I know you Texans are your own thing ? One of my best friends is from just outside of Amarillo and she married a guy from Lubbock and both of their families are...Texan. No other descriptor for them. I would even say they are more Texan than American for sure. 

Quite a few graduate students where I am that I know through the grad student council and things are from non-Cajun areas of Louisiana and South Eastern Texas and they seem more generically Southern than Texan. I also wouldn't describe Cajun areas of LA or NOLA as "Southern". They're their own thing entirely and so is a lot of Texas ;) 

Also, good on your BIL for not being bullied into using the name. Nothing makes me madder than to hear families trying to insist on a name for a child that is not their child. You got to name your child. Your own children are all you get to name. If you've set a good example in life and made your children think that your family's traditions or your opinion is of value, then your kids will a) know the tradition already and make a choice whether or not to carry it on; or b) may ask your opinion. But do not give opinions on other people's naming choices unless asked directly or maybe if the parents seem to have missed a really bad association or that a name sounds super similar to a word that would maybe be a true and objective issue for them later on (e.g. Wayne King on an Australian or British kid). And do so politely and if they have recognized it and decided it isn't a big deal to them, drop it

Guilty as charged, we are TEXAN. And most of us do identify as Texan first, American second.  I think everyone in my family does and pretty much everybody else we know that is Texan. It does not mean that we aren't American or that we are anti-American.  It's just our identity and it is important to us.

I like the idea of last names as middle names for children, or as first names in some cases. But my best friend from high school married a man with the last name of Robin. His younger sister's first name was also Robin.  I don't think she ever forgave her parents for that, actually.They thought it would be cute. But nobody else thought so, least of all the poor girl.

• Love 3

17 hours ago, Briefly said:

Guilty as charged, we are TEXAN. And most of us do identify as Texan first, American second.  I think everyone in my family does and pretty much everybody else we know that is Texan. It does not mean that we aren't American or that we are anti-American.  It's just our identity and it is important to us.

I like the idea of last names as middle names for children, or as first names in some cases. But my best friend from high school married a man with the last name of Robin. His younger sister's first name was also Robin.  I don't think she ever forgave her parents for that, actually.They thought it would be cute. But nobody else thought so, least of all the poor girl.

Y'all do know that Texans come in different colors, right?  And might have different cultures, religions and naming traditions?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I just found out Brene Brown's sister is named Barrett. I thought it was unusual; maybe it could be a Texan last name naming tradition.

I also read a name I've never forgotten in a history book about the South Pacific/Bataan: veteran Abie Abraham from West Virginia. His parents had 12 kids and named the last one Abraham Abraham. It kills me every time.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Y'all do know that Texans come in different colors, right?  And might have different cultures, religions and naming traditions?

Yes, but I was referring to us as in me, Mr. Briefly and our families.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:57 PM, sleepy_doggos said:

I just found out Brene Brown's sister is named Barrett. I thought it was unusual; maybe it could be a Texan last name naming tradition.

I know a Barrett. It's her mother's maiden name and her first name is of the variety of Mary/Anne/Elizabeth/Katherine but she doesn't go by her first name, she goes by her middle name and that is Barrett. Her mother has the same legal first name but she also goes by what I assume is also a family surname except that name is like...a real old man first name and it's very jarring. Think Stewart, Bruce, Walter, Howard, Alfred kind of name. It is that unmistakably masculine and dated sounding and the only word I have for it is jarring. But it's the South. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

Mandie Query is getting married on June 15th

https://www.theknot.com/us/mandie-query-and-david-poemoceah-jun-2019

btw, how do you pronounce her fiancé’s last name? This non native English speaker is curious

English is my first language and I have no clue! I pronounce names all wrong. I would love it if it was pronounced Poem-o-shay. Because that sounds cool. But I bet it’s nothing like that. 

• I Agree 2

From finding other people online with that last name, it seems to be Native American and pronounced "pomo-key-a". Like the sound in IKEA.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

Sarah Reith is engaged? 

This is the same guy she ran a half marathon with back in November: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSipwZlJUN/

I looked him up in the results (he's bib #140, she's bib #141): his name is David Noland and he's in his early 40s: https://www.heroesmarathon.com/uploads/7/5/3/9/75396387/heroes_half_fastest_to_slowest.pdf

Edited by albireo
removing empty space and confirming his name
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

Oh my! So close to kissing! 

5F851B89-C7A5-454A-BEA9-5FD43295A4BE.jpeg

Let’s hope Sarah’s man is slightly better than Her sister Lindsey’s. A Shaggy look alike who loves Trump.

• Upvote 9

On 1/20/2019 at 2:36 AM, JMO said:

I hope 3rd time is a charm for her. 

I really hope she is happy and in love and this works out for her. Having two failed relationships must be so so hard in their culture!!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Derp, I posted in the wrong thread! Sorry, @Bethella, I'm transferring it to the Babies thread now. :pb_lol:

Edited by singsingsing
  • Thank You 1

30 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Derp, I posted in the wrong thread! Sorry, @Bethella, I'm transferring it to the Babies thread now. :pb_lol:

Ha, I didn’t even notice! I’m transferring my response too.

Edited by Bethella
Wrong thread

On 1/21/2019 at 12:49 AM, ophelia said:

I really hope she is happy and in love and this works out for her. Having two failed relationships must be so so hard in their culture!!

I completely missed one of the failed relationships.  How old is she - 30ish?

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I don’t know her age but she courted Zach Bates who just turned 30, so I think late 20s is more likely.

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

some time after Zach, she had a fiance and a very long engagement, about 16 months--engaged in August (2016 i think) and a date in November of the following year.  then about 3 or 4 months before the wedding, every reference to the entire relationship disappeared.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

On 1/16/2019 at 6:14 AM, VBOY9977 said:

Mandie Query is getting married on June 15th

https://www.theknot.com/us/mandie-query-and-david-poemoceah-jun-2019

btw, how do you pronounce her fiancé’s last name? This non native English speaker is curious

My guess is that Poemoceah is a Comanche name [I'm Cherokee, but have some Comanche relatives by marriage]

I wonder if this is his father: https://health.usnews.com/doctors/kenneth-poemoceah-335319  --a doctor in NW Arkansas. There aren't that many Comanches in NW Arkansas!

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

She seems to be happy. I always had some kind of a soft spot for her and after going through so much heartbreak in the recent past she really deserves a nice guy by her side.

I'd really like to know why Ben's (her ex) wedding seems to have been cancelled/postponed. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Lindsey Reith just got engaged! Now there's 2 Reith sisters engaged at the same time.

Will Lindsey and Shaggy want a double wedding with Sarah? Jinkies!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic