IGNORED

Unmarried Fundies 6: After the Rapture

Bethella

1 hour ago, Themanda Duggar said:

Looking through the photos, it seems to be her normal posture, which does not say good things about her life at home.

To be fair, I have horrific posture and my home life is fine!

• Upvote 6

Sarah’s body language and posture remind me of the Maxwell girls. They sort of stand like that too. And they often smile awkwardly for the camera like Sarah S. If one of the Max daughters got into a relationship, their engagement pictures would be just as awkward looking as these. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Tommy Washburn's wedding was on September 18th, according to his FB.

Also, I think Cassie Shashaguay and Caleb Gulder are engaged. They haven't explicitly announced it on FB, as far as I can tell, but people's comments on several posts on Cassie's page refer to the wedding. No idea when it is, though.

Edited by Triplet3
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Cassie Shashaguay is engaged. I remember looking at the blog once, Calico Sisters, when it was linked on here. I don’t think she’s posted on it for about a year. She has an Instagram she uses much more, she posted about the engagement on there. All she says is it’ll be in spring 2019.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

5 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Cassie Shashaguay is engaged. I remember looking at the blog once, Calico Sisters, when it was linked on here. I don’t think she’s posted on it for about a year. She has an Instagram she uses much more, she posted about the engagement on there. All she says is it’ll be in spring 2019.

I saw the blog post about her starting the courtship, but as you say, she hasn't posted on there since last year. I don't have Instagram so didn't think of looking on there. I was just poking around on FB and thought I'd say something on here as Cassie is down as still only courting and no-one had mentioned her engagement.

Edited by Triplet3
  • Upvote 3

I just randomly decided to google her. She seems to have had a longer courtship than many fundies, but if she’s getting married next spring it’ll be a short(ish) engagement by comparison. 

On 12/29/2018 at 11:00 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s weird because she said their wedding date was Oct 13th when they got engaged in the spring. They must have moved the wedding date back at some point because they are still listed as engaged on FB. 

I dug into his fiancées (public) facebook profile a little bit and from what I can tell they moved forward from their relationship pretty quickly. Maybe they now realize that slowing down might be the best for them and their 5 daughters (she als has two little girls). They still seem to be together because she posted a video on IG very recently.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Jessica Seewald and Phillips Lester are getting married on May 18th

https://www.theknot.com/us/jessica-seewald-and-phillips-lester-may-2019

Phillips? Is that actually his first name? Does anyone know where that came from?

I call one of my dogs 'Mollys' sometimes, but that's because she's part Kelpie and she's being nuts enough for two. 

5 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

Phillips? Is that actually his first name? Does anyone know where that came from?

I call one of my dogs 'Mollys' sometimes, but that's because she's part Kelpie and she's being nuts enough for two. 

Phillips is a pretty common last name. And giving a child a last name as a first name has been around for centuries. I imagine that’s what his parents did. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

He's like Johns Hopkins, but a person.

Johns Hopkins was a person...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johns_Hopkins

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Phillips is a pretty common last name. And giving a child a last name as a first name has been around for centuries. I imagine that’s what his parents did. 

Especially in the South. I know of a female with the first name Battle. Her last name actually makes the name even more bizarre if that's possible. Family surname though ?‍♀️ I find Southern naming culture, especially in very traditional Southern families to be both fascinating and shocking at times.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Aine said:

Johns Hopkins was a person...

Oh dang! I always assumed it was just two last names.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Oh dang! I always assumed it was just two last names.

Kind of is- Johns was a family surname. His grandfather was also called Johns Hopkins and he was named for his own mother's maiden name, which was Johns. So it is a last name but used as a first name so it's an easy mistake to make!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, Aine said:

Especially in the South. I know of a female with the first name Battle. Her last name actually makes the name even more bizarre if that's possible. Family surname though ?‍♀️ I find Southern naming culture, especially in very traditional Southern families to be both fascinating and shocking at times.

It's also a part of the Texan culture, to a point.  We used my husband's mother's maiden name as the middle name for our daughter, but that was because he wanted to honor his grandfather.  His siblings used the same name as a middle name for their kids, for the same reason.  But it's a name that works as either a so-called boy's or girl's name and is actually pretty common.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Briefly said:

It's also a part of the Texan culture, to a point.  We used my husband's mother's maiden name as the middle name for our daughter, but that was because he wanted to honor his grandfather.  His siblings used the same name as a middle name for their kids, for the same reason.  But it's a name that works as either a so-called boy's or girl's name and is actually pretty common.

I know Texans don't see themselves as Southerners, and they definitely are their own kind of Southerner, but I still think of especially East Texas as kind of Southern (don't hate me, I know Texans are sensitive about that sometimes ? ) there seems to be similar naming patterns. The double first names and the strong traditions of passing names down family trees with Juniors, III, IV etc and using family last names as first or middle names or the second part of a double name (e.g. Mary Massey or something). I don't mind the tradition. My paternal side of the family is very big on passing down first names, especially as middle names, and I always expected to do that when I have kids too but I've recently thought that I might like to use Anne and my last name as a double first name for a daughter one day. The combination would be my grandmother's nickname that she went by (Anne) and her married last name (and my grandfather's last name etc). It sounds good to the ear and has some nicknames that could naturally come from the double name too. Also, my grandmother was my favorite human on the planet. I know my family back home would think it was bizarre but it would fit right in where I live in the US :) 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Aine said:

I know Texans don't see themselves as Southerners, and they definitely are their own kind of Southerner, but I still think of especially East Texas as kind of Southern (don't hate me, I know Texans are sensitive about that sometimes ? ) there seems to be similar naming patterns. The double first names and the strong traditions of passing names down family trees with Juniors, III, IV etc and using family last names as first or middle names or the second part of a double name (e.g. Mary Massey or something). I don't mind the tradition. My paternal side of the family is very big on passing down first names, especially as middle names, and I always expected to do that when I have kids too but I've recently thought that I might like to use Anne and my last name as a double first name for a daughter one day. The combination would be my grandmother's nickname that she went by (Anne) and her married last name (and my grandfather's last name etc). It sounds good to the ear and has some nicknames that could naturally come from the double name too. Also, my grandmother was my favorite human on the planet. I know my family back home would think it was bizarre but it would fit right in where I live in the US :) 

No, we don't generally consider ourselves as Southern.  Not all of us, but in general.  But we e do have a lot of similarities.

Mr. Briefly's middle name is also a tradition in his dad's family, the first son names his first son with the same middle name.  However, Mr. Briefly is the last one because we didn't have a son.  Mr. Briefly's brother does have a son, and he flatly refused when his and Mr, Briefly's grandfather (their dad's father) more of less demanded the name be used - and we fully supported him, given the way that the grandfather in question treated his grandchildren after his son (Mr. Briefly and his brother's dad) abandoned them.  In fact, Mr. Briefly's brother used the middle name we used for our daughter when he was naming his son - still as a tribute to their grandfather on their mother's side.

@Aine, don't worry!  I don't hate you!  But Texans are our own culture and sometimes we do get a little "out there" to say the least! :)

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Briefly said:

@Aine, don't worry!  I don't hate you!  But Texans are our own culture and sometimes we do get a little "out there" to say the least! :)

I know you Texans are your own thing ? One of my best friends is from just outside of Amarillo and she married a guy from Lubbock and both of their families are...Texan. No other descriptor for them. I would even say they are more Texan than American for sure. 

Quite a few graduate students where I am that I know through the grad student council and things are from non-Cajun areas of Louisiana and South Eastern Texas and they seem more generically Southern than Texan. I also wouldn't describe Cajun areas of LA or NOLA as "Southern". They're their own thing entirely and so is a lot of Texas ;) 

Also, good on your BIL for not being bullied into using the name. Nothing makes me madder than to hear families trying to insist on a name for a child that is not their child. You got to name your child. Your own children are all you get to name. If you've set a good example in life and made your children think that your family's traditions or your opinion is of value, then your kids will a) know the tradition already and make a choice whether or not to carry it on; or b) may ask your opinion. But do not give opinions on other people's naming choices unless asked directly or maybe if the parents seem to have missed a really bad association or that a name sounds super similar to a word that would maybe be a true and objective issue for them later on (e.g. Wayne King on an Australian or British kid). And do so politely and if they have recognized it and decided it isn't a big deal to them, drop it

• Upvote 4

On 1/5/2019 at 11:10 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thanks, @JermajestyDuggar. I've never heard of this before. It's certainly not a tradition here as far as I know (which isn't very far). I get confused enough when people have two first names as first name and surname... like Daniel Craig or Craig David! Trying to work out which one comes first makes my head hurt. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

It's vice versa but did anyone else grow up being told 'Never trust a man whose last name could be his first name'? My dad was full of these odd gems. 

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

It's vice versa but did anyone else grow up being told 'Never trust a man whose last name could be his first name'? My dad was full of these odd gems. 

I never like when a person has a first name that’s really close to his last name. The only fundie I can think of is Alexandria Alexander. But I knew a non fundie named Steve Stevenson. Who does that!?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

36 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I never like when a person has a first name that’s really close to his last name. The only fundie I can think of is Alexandria Alexander. But I knew a non fundie named Steve Stevenson. Who does that!?

I worked with a William Williams and he didn’t go by Bill. Very different!

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I used to know someone who has a name like that but in a way that her first name is not really an existing first name at all. Her father was nicknamed after his first name and thought it would be nice to use that for his daughter.

It would be if JimBob would be nicknamed Dug by his friends and then decided to name his child Little Dug Duggar. (in Dutch, there is a suffix for something small, which he placed after the nickname)

I always felt so bad for the girl, she must be an adult now but I don't see the family anymore.

• Upvote 5

Same as @CarrotCake's example, I am acquaintances with a guy who has the first name that's his father's nickname that stems from their last name. The last name is a male first name (no -son) or anything and the first name literally adds a -y to the last name. Think Robby Robb or Jacky Jack. It's bizarre. 

Apparently his father told his mother that he didn't have any interest or care in what his older daughter was called and so she could name her (it's a completely boring but perfectly traditional name in vein of Emily Elizabeth). Then when she was pregnant with a boy, he decided that he got to name him. It's never been said explicitly to me but I get the impression the father was abusive. The parents split not long after my acquaintance was born and he doesn't see his father. The mom did try and put up an argument but the only thing the father would agree to is she could pick from 3 of his options and the other two were something like Buster and Butch. She went with the equivalent of Robby Robb because she said she could at least call "Robby!" down the house or across the park and not feel sorry for her kid or embarrassed of herself but the same couldn't be said about Buster or Butch. Before hearing the story, I'd thought no story would make sense. But when I heard it, I was like, "Okay, Mom...best decision in a crappy situation for sure." 

The actual first name/last name isn't common enough that he would have needed to be referred to as first name and last name together constantly in school. That's another saving grace haha. 

• Upvote 5

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic