IGNORED

Roberts Family: Fundie Hipsters but still Fundies

freethemall

Anyone else following the Roberts wedding? Norma has some adorable videos of Thea dancing, it almost looks like a normal non-fundie wedding.

• Upvote 1

That was Thea? I was quite sure it was Willa. Wow, those girls really look a lot alike! 

Judged from the music it seemed like a normal wedding. Do you think they served alcohol? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

That was Thea? I was quite sure it was Willa. Wow, those girls really look a lot alike! 

Judged from the music it seemed like a normal wedding. Do you think they served alcohol? 

I wouldn’t be surprused if they did. These fundies are total hipsters that seem very mainstream. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting that they've been very publicly supportive of their cousin and her new baby considering she isn't married. I didn't expect it TBH. 

Also, there circle is very small - Norma's sister in law Chelsie's brother is the father. 

• WTF 1

6 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

I find it interesting that they've been very publicly supportive of their cousin and her new baby considering she isn't married. I didn't expect it TBH. 

Also, there circle is very small - Norma's sister in law Chelsie's brother is the father. 

It doesn’t really surprise me. Fundies are typically pretty supportive of unwed mothers. At least from what I’ve seen. She chose not to have an abortion and fundies see babies as basically the best thing ever. So they will be supportive. I think many are supportive while thinking the person will eventually get married and become a good fundie wife. I’m sure there’s some pressure there. A baby is a gift from god no matter what in the eyes of fundies. So they publicly celebrate the baby while putting pressure on the mother and father to do the right thing eventually. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

For now, I'm thinking they're excited enough at the prospect of new babies to fawn over that they're overlooking the whole unmarried thing. Plus as @JermajestyDuggar said they're probably hoping the parents get married.

Is she a Roberts cousin as well? Wow, that really is small. I thought they were using "cousin" metaphorically because the dad is Chelsie's brother and there isn't really a name for that relationship.

30 minutes ago, albireo said:

For now, I'm thinking they're excited enough at the prospect of new babies to fawn over that they're overlooking the whole unmarried thing. Plus as @JermajestyDuggar said they're probably hoping the parents get married.

Is she a Roberts cousin as well? Wow, that really is small. I thought they were using "cousin" metaphorically because the dad is Chelsie's brother and there isn't really a name for that relationship.

I believe Sofia Anthony is a Roberts cousin. But I don’t know if she’s actually fundie. She really doesn’t seem so. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe Sofia Anthony is a Roberts cousin. But I don’t know if she’s actually fundie. She really doesn’t seem so. 

Not from what I remember from the blog. She's a military kid I think, her mom was a Roberts before marriage - the original Daisy Roberts if I remember Normas wedding correctly. The cousins have all been on the blog a good bit, the cousin Amy's of the family I assume. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, fundiefan said:

[..]

These people worship pregnancy like they claim to worship their god. 

Girls. Must. Make. The. Babies.

Amen to this! When they're being told their only worth is how well they'll do as a wife and mother, it becomes their primary desire.

How do we know Campbell was once connected with Trace? Were they spotted in photos together?

I would not at all be surprised to hear that this family smokes weed. No offense, but some of them look like they just left a methadone clinic. 

Do we know what church the parents/ larger family attends?

9 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

Amen to this! When they're being told their only worth is how well they'll do as a wife and mother, it becomes their primary desire.

How do we know Campbell was once connected with Trace? Were they spotted in photos together?

I would not at all be surprised to hear that this family smokes weed. No offense, but some of them look like they just left a methadone clinic. 

Do we know what church the parents/ larger family attends?

Campbell posted some pictures with Trace around the time she went on a trip with the Bates family and her family was teasing her about her and Trace. But the Roberts kids and Bates kids have been friends - I've posted some pics from their old blog about it.  Speculation started because the trip was highlighting significant others.  Bobby wanted to propose to Tori, Evan wanted to court Carlin which left Edgar and Campbell as potential special friends. No single daughters of age so..... Campbell and Trace it was. 

The Roberts associate with the Mortons who are Baptist with a slightly Penetcostal flair. Norma's husband pastors a Baptist Church. Roberts I think were part of the home church movement - no idea if family attends the Gilligan's church or not. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Thanks! Now, I know the trip. I did not recognize additional friends. I wonder why the Roberts chose home church. Seems like they would have an eclectic belief system that a small group of followers could behind. Interesting that they found themselves with the likes of IBLP followers. I know fundies like to sometimes joint conference across dominations. That's how they meet others with their views that would not normally attend their regular denom conferences.

6 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Thanks! Now, I know the trip. I did not recognize additional friends. I wonder why the Roberts chose home church. Seems like they would have an eclectic belief system that a small group of followers could behind. Interesting that they found themselves with the likes of IBLP followers. I know fundies like to sometimes joint conference across dominations. That's how they meet others with their views that would not normally attend their regular denom conferences.

They were VF folks originally - they associated a lot with like minded patriarchal families way back when the girls wore frumpers. I don't know that they still are part of that church movement now. Daisy and Willie both have been part of IHoP church stuff. Norma is a Pastors wife. Campbell is part of the semi organized home church of the Mortons. No idea about Edgar and Rachel or the kids at home. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Ah, Vision Forum. Makes sense now. Like minds tend to stick together. Thanks, this really helped me understand a bit about them and the Trace connection.

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

They were VF folks originally - they associated a lot with like minded patriarchal families way back when the girls wore frumpers. I don't know that they still are part of that church movement now. Daisy and Willie both have been part of IHoP church stuff. Norma is a Pastors wife. Campbell is part of the semi organized home church of the Mortons. No idea about Edgar and Rachel or the kids at home. 

VF spread its net wide and targeted everyone in the Christian Homeshooling Movement.  It was not a "church movement" so much as a patriarchal parachurch organisation.  It attracted home churchers, IFB, Reform Presbyterians, IHoP, and even some more mainstream evangelicals.

VF may be gone but there was always a huge overlap with NCFIC, and Scotty Brown is still hanging in there.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

VF spread its net wide and targeted everyone in the Christian Homeshooling Movement.  It was not a "church movement" so much as a patriarchal parachurch organisation.  It attracted home churchers, IFB, Reform Presbyterians, IHoP, and even some more mainstream evangelicals.

VF may be gone but there was always a huge overlap with NCFIC, and Scotty Brown is still hanging in there.

Yeah, VF to me functioned similar to IBLP, they provide a network for socializing even if the different churchs and non-denom crowds differ in fundimentalist flavor. It's how you get Marjorie Jackson around the Duggars.....lots of different stripes pulled together. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

The Roberts associate with the Mortons who are Baptist with a slightly Penetcostal flair. Norma's husband pastors a Baptist Church. Roberts I think were part of the home church movement - no idea if family attends the Gilligan's church or not. 

Could you explain that to me? I don't really get the Pentecostal flair, but I'd love to know more.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ophelia said:

Could you explain that to me? I don't really get the Pentecostal flair, but I'd love to know more.

From my experience, this is Baptist in doctorine but Pentecostal in operation. Usually a mixture of both styles. Sometimes they're baptist who believe in tarrying or something like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

Pentecostalists believe in the Baptism of the Spirit (speaking in tongues) and divine healing.  There are different flavors of Pentecostal; some are non-trinitarian and some are more Charismatic than others.  They all believe in Bible inerrancy,

Their roots came from the Holiness Movement.  Three main types:  the ones who came from a Methodist or Nazarene background; the ones who came from a Baptist background; and the Oneness (non-trinitarian) Pentecostals.

Some Fundie Baptists (like John Shrader) literally run screaming from Pentecostals because to them speaking in tongues is ob de debil.  Others are more open to the charismatic stuff and there is some overlap.

Edited by Palimpsest
clarification
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

The Mortons appear follow Baptist doctrine (believers baptism, Trinity etc) but they reference gifts of the Holy Spirit that most Baptist Churches don't do at present. 

ETA: my phone didn't load the other replies, the posters above were much better explaining. 

Edited by lexiloumarie
  • Thank You 7

Norma posted her oldest’s birthday cake and it’s a fire truck cake. I’m glad she is allowed to have a cake that fundies would consider “masculine.” However I highly doubt they would let her grow up to be a fire fighter if that’s what she really wanted. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 12:21 AM, TatiFish9 said:

How do we know Campbell was once connected with Trace? Were they spotted in photos together?I would not at all be surprised to hear that this family smokes weed. No offense, but some of them look like they just left a methadone clinic. Do we know what church the parents/ larger family attends?

I know your post is old but....

I'm not sure if you have experience with methadone clinics (like actually with the clinic not just one person who supposedly went to one) or not but I've been active with one and it saved my damn life. And there's a lot of people who can hold jobs, keep their kids, etc. not only because of MAT (medication assisted treatment) but the long term counseling and group therapy that is part of a methadone clinic. It's not just showing up and getting drugs, that's Suboxone but I guess since that's expensive and more associated with suburbanites that's not an insult. I'm sorry but this kind of ignorant stereotyping drives me mad especially because it belittles a very real lifesaving thing often with very little knowledge of what it's really like/about.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

On 7/10/2019 at 5:52 AM, zee_four said:

I know your post is old but....

I'm not sure if you have experience with methadone clinics (like actually with the clinic not just one person who supposedly went to one) or not but I've been active with one and it saved my damn life. And there's a lot of people who can hold jobs, keep their kids, etc. not only because of MAT (medication assisted treatment) but the long term counseling and group therapy that is part of a methadone clinic. It's not just showing up and getting drugs, that's Suboxone but I guess since that's expensive and more associated with suburbanites that's not an insult. I'm sorry but this kind of ignorant stereotyping drives me mad especially because it belittles a very real lifesaving thing often with very little knowledge of what it's really like/about.

My comment was unnecessary. I tried to preface it with no offense, but looking back there were better ways I could have made my point.

I am familiar with clinic and other treatment programs. I know exactly how they work.  There is a sensitivity in the community about whether this sort of treatment helps or not. The treatment is directional and effective. It takes tremendous work to overcome addiction...and still, some are not successful . 

I was going back and forth about responding or not, but decided to do so in case others who have been through opioid treatment are also offended. I can't delete my comment, but I do apologize if I have unfairly stereotyped this family or anyone else.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

On 7/13/2019 at 6:49 AM, TatiFish9 said:

My comment was unnecessary. I tried to preface it with no offense, but looking back there were better ways I could have made my point.

I am familiar with clinic and other treatment programs. I know exactly how they work.  There is a sensitivity in the community about whether this sort of treatment helps or not. The treatment is directional and effective. It takes tremendous work to overcome addiction...and still, some are not successful . 

I was going back and forth about responding or not, but decided to do so in case others who have been through opioid treatment are also offended. I can't delete my comment, but I do apologize if I have unfairly stereotyped this family or anyone else.

I really appreciate this response. Like truly, thank you.

As a long time addict who has been in recovery for years and is now working towards being an addiction myself, everything involving addiction and treatment faces its share of stigma. However methadone seems to get more than its fair share. A lot of it comes from being involved with opiate, specifically heroin, recovery for a long time. These days it serves a lower socio economic group than Suboxone. I definitely get theres people who misuse methadone that also lead to this.

Regardless, like any recovery tool, when used properly and honestly, it does save a lot of lives. I apologize if I was a little snippy in response, in the few instances I bring up being involved in MAT in my real life I get a lot of push back about how bad it is. So I really appreciate your openness to seeing the other side.

Thank you again!!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

• 5 months later...