IGNORED

Roberts Family: Fundie Hipsters but still Fundies

freethemall

I was surprised there's no thread for the Roberts family so I decided to create one, especially since this weekend is the wedding of Campbell Roberts and John Morton. Guess they didn't communicate with the Duggars to make sure fundie families wouldn't be split on whose wedding to go to:

About the Roberts family:

image.png.cb088613a4d672b4dc35417c06d7851f.png

-12 kids: Edgar; Willie; Marty; Norma; Daisy; Henry ;Gray; Ashburn; Elizabeth;Martha; Jane

- Norma is married to Adam Gilligan (hipster preacher), they have 2 adorable baby daughters (Willa and Thea).

image.png.08c7ca4305cad250557d05ed3616f779.png

- Campbell is marrying John Morton, the families have been friends for a while, the Roberts girls have been bridesmaids in several Morton weddings. Hence this convergence of the families was inevitable. The Mortons are weird, plenty of threads to read up on them if you're interested.

- Marty has a boyfriend, I believe Daisy, Edgar, and Willie may all be in some stage of relationships via their social media but it's unclear. More weddings will likely come in the next year or so! They don't seem to do traditional courting and seem okay with front hugs and even cheek kisses before marriage.

-I think they used to be involved with Vision Forum, then left and became a bit more liberal. They since seem to have been involved with ATI, but aren’t as conservative as a lot of its members.

-The girls wear skinny jeans, shorts, and tank tops.  They dance. They have the appearance of fundie-lite hipsters, but again, they're still fundie.

-The older ones are close with the Bateses and Duggars. They go to all the weddings and hang out outside of them too.

- I swear the family used to have a blog. Someone want to find it?

- They're generally just a really pretty family that makes you think they're cool and normal but as a reminder: their beliefs still suck.

Here's Campbell and John's wedding website: https://www.theknot.com/us/campbell-roberts-and-john-morton-nov-2018

They may have kissed when they got engaged?

image.png.f4c2615667fd34824367c017daa1e3dd.png

Did I leave anything important out?

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 17

I know it's not nice to snark on someone's name, but...

Willa Gilligan? Really?

• Upvote 12

Oh yeah - the dry ice engagement photos.

Thank you for the good summary, @freethemall --  will check my VF cyber-stash to see if they were featured on Doug's Blog back in the day. 

• Upvote 7

Edgar is engaged to a woman named Rachel. I believe Willie is single again, just judging from Facebook. Campbell was dating someone else as recently as the beginning of this year, and has also appeared on Bringing Up Bates as Trace's "friend."

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

I know it's not nice to snark on someone's name, but...

Willa Gilligan? Really?

I swear they call her Willa Gilla as a nickname! 

And their daughters have names that sort of rhyme. Willa Ray and Thea Gray. 

I also believe some of the Roberts kids drink alcohol. I’ll try to remember more and add on.

• Upvote 7

Campbell: dated Hugh Morris Jr right before she and John Morton got together this year. 

Daisy: in a relationship with James Wiggins

Edgar: engaged to Rachel Wiggins

It is assumed that Rachel and James are siblings.

Willie: was in a relationship with a gorgeous girl named Molly who I believe recently graduated as a physicians assistant. I said she was too good for him. It’s possible they broke up. I’m not sure since fundies announce new relationships but are quiet about break ups. Molly hasn’t been seen with a Roberts in ages. I hope she finds a non fundie hipster is that’s her thing.

Marty: was dating Joshua Noethe in the spring but neither has posted about the relationship in awhile so they may have broken up as well. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

I want to add that they seem to be good friends with the Campanas as well. So it’s entirely possible a Roberts will date a Campana in the future.

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Daisy: in a relationship with James Wiggins

Edgar: engaged to Rachel Wiggins

It is assumed that Rachel and James are siblings.

Willie: was in a relationship with a gorgeous girl named Mollie who I believe recently graduated as a physicians assistant. I said she was too good for him. It’s possible they broke up. I’m not sure since fundies announce new relationships but are quiet about break ups. 

They definitely are siblings; I found some of his social media. Also, I think both Edgar and Willie were introduced to their ladyfriends by Daisy. I want to say they were her roommates at some ministry thing?

44 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I also believe some of the Roberts kids drink alcohol. I’ll try to remember more and add on.

I think the Mortons do too: https://mortonclan.blogspot.com/2007/06/sweet-katie-prepared-tasty-mint-julep.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

6 minutes ago, albireo said:

They definitely are siblings; I found some of his social media. Also, I think both Edgar and Willie were introduced to their ladyfriends by Daisy. I want to say they were her roommates at some ministry thing?

I think the Mortons do too: https://mortonclan.blogspot.com/2007/06/sweet-katie-prepared-tasty-mint-julep.html

At least those weddings aren't dry on top of being crazy.

• Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

I took a look at the wedding registry. They've got Kitchen-Aid mixers on both the Bed, Bath and Beyond  registry as well as the Amazon one.  The one on the BBB registry has already been purchased so they might want to remove the one on the Amazon registry.  They've also got two Dysons, two potato mashers and two blenders, well sorta.  They have a Magic Bullet and a Ninja; same registry though.  They do have a Chemex coffee maker which shows good taste.  (The Chemex makes outstanding coffee.)  At least they don't  have the crazy shit we saw on some Duggar registries.  I almost forgot but they have some DVDs/Blu-Rays: Cinderella (the recent live action version), Jurassic World, Wonder Woman, Logan and Paddington 2.

• Upvote 3

What state are these folks located in? Just trying to figure out how many degrees of separation they are from the fundies I knew/met in childhood.

The Roberts now defunct blog was PascoLife, Edgar farmed their land under the Pasco Farms name at one point. 

They live in Thomasville, Georgia and own several businesses that employ the various children in need of jobs. They have non fundie family that live in the same town that appear to be a big influence on the kids at different points. 

Theyve known the Morton's for at least 13 or so years, the kids appear in old blog posts from the beginning. They at one point at least periodically wore frumpers, I have pictures saved from somewhere of the girls in homemade dresses and skirts. Much like the Smith and mortons and campanas, it faded with the rise of modern modest. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

The Roberts now defunct blog was PascoLife, Edgar farmed their land under the Pasco Farms name at one point. 

They live in Thomasville, Georgia and own several businesses that employ the various children in need of jobs. They have non fundie family that live in the same town that appear to be a big influence on the kids at different points. 

Theyve known the Morton's for at least 13 or so years, the kids appear in old blog posts from the beginning. They at one point at least periodically wore frumpers, I have pictures saved from somewhere of the girls in homemade dresses and skirts. Much like the Smith and mortons and campanas, it faded with the rise of modern modest. 

I pretty much guarantee almost all of the fundies we talk about must look back on the matching frumper days and cringe. 

• Upvote 11

According to a video on Instagram, the wedding will be outdoors. It looked kind of chilly. They might have a cold wedding ceremony.

• Upvote 4

November is not a good time for an outdoor wedding.  My brother got married one November Sunday some years ago.  The temperature was about 33 degrees F.  It was a lovely wedding except for the damn temperatures.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

November is not a good time for an outdoor wedding.  My brother got married one November Sunday some years ago.  The temperature was about 33 degrees F.  It was a lovely wedding except for the damn temperatures.

I assume they are getting married in GA. And usually it’s not that cold at the beginning of November in GA. But I think it’s a little chilly today and it might be tomorrow. It won’t be freezing at least.

• Thank You 1

A fake plant is maybe the worst present I could give someone for their nuptials. I understand why people buy them and use them. But, well, it’s literally plastic useless and lifeless and has no function.  I’d feel better about a random $6 cherry pitter or Monopoly or something.

These complete starter home ideas are weird to me. I can’t visualize thinking of my whole brand new life like that.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

November is not a good time for an outdoor wedding.

Let's hope Campbell and John have the brains not to celebrate at a parking lot with ice cream, like some other November wedding a few years ago...

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

They at one point at least periodically wore frumpers, I have pictures saved from somewhere of the girls in homemade dresses and skirts. Much like the Smith and mortons and campanas, it faded with the rise of modern modest. 

Did someone say frumpers? Here ya go!

Screenshot_20181103-071115_1.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

The wedding party represents the relationships these families thrive on. Mortons, Campanas & Roberts'. They are all intertwined, and now related. The first three Morton marriages were to Smiths. Maybe putting all their eggs (literally & figuratively) in one basket didn't turn out as they hoped, so they broadened their base this time around. Papa Morton never struck me as someone who did his own thing; he always has to latch onto some other family and their ways. The difference in weddings from the Smith years to the now - even the last few weddings - shows evidence of him being a follower, not a leader. 

It will be interesting to see who Edwin & Paul end up marrying. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

The wedding party represents the relationships these families thrive on. Mortons, Campanas & Roberts'. They are all intertwined, and now related. The first three Morton marriages were to Smiths. Maybe putting all their eggs (literally & figuratively) in one basket didn't turn out as they hoped, so they broadened their base this time around. Papa Morton never struck me as someone who did his own thing; he always has to latch onto some other family and their ways. The difference in weddings from the Smith years to the now - even the last few weddings - shows evidence of him being a follower, not a leader. 

It will be interesting to see who Edwin & Paul end up marrying. 

The Johnstons (The Activist Mommy’s family) are peripheral to these families as well. They could be a possibility. Although they don’t live in Georgia so I don’t think they see that family all that often. I believe they live in NC now but I’m sure they will attend this wedding. 

8 hours ago, JillyO said:

Do any of them have public social media accounts?

Campbell, Norma, Marty, Willie, Henry.

The only private ones are Daisy, Edgar, and I think Ashburn. If you want to follow them just go to Campbell’s ig (@campbell_conley) and you can find the rest of the accounts on her following list 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Thank You 4