IGNORED

There's always womb for one more! Upcoming Babies 12

Bethella

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Almost everyone has a nick name in my extended family. Some of them come from their actual names (Johnny for John) while others got nick names from their personality quirks. My husband had such a hard time figuring out who was who at big family gatherings because of all the weird nick names. 

My brother's daughter and her husband picked out the nicknames as soon as they found out that she was pregnant.  They have 5 kids with one miscarriage and they did that for all 6 of them (the miscarriage was fairly late term and they knew it was a boy.)  They all have "normal" names but they have never gone by them, just the nicknames. Some of the nicknames are really kind of odd and came from pop culture books that might not be too popular.  I'm fairly certain that at least the younger couple don't realize that they nicknames are not their real names.  Which is really odd to me!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend calls her sister a completely different name then her actual one. The funny part is she will respond more to the nickname then she will to her given name. Her name is Julie & her sister calls her either Rita or Rit. Like in her phone it says Julie but when she calls she says hi Rita. Not sure why she does it but it’s her thing. 

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

My friend calls her sister a completely different name then her actual one. The funny part is she will respond more to the nickname then she will to her given name. Her name is Julie & her sister calls her either Rita or Rit. Like in her phone it says Julie but when she calls she says hi Rita. Not sure why she does it but it’s her thing. 

My dad was known for calling me and my sister by each other's names, usually when we did something typically kid stupid.  It became a game with him, he would call us by the wrong name and we'd hear him giggling so we always played along.  We always said we'd answer, unless he called us by the dog's name or by our brothers!  He had a lot of fun with that, he would make up strange names for us.

22 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Every single one of their girls' names end in an "ee" sound. It's so weird. 

They all have 2 syllables as well: Sophie, Chloe, Millie, Katie, Ellie, Aimee, Tillie, Hallie, Phoebe, and Bonnie. I'm sure the theme became intentional at some point down the line!

This reminds me that I found a 10-children family on facebook recently with all K names: Kaelyn, Kinley, Kassidy, Karsten, Kovenant, Kalvary, Kristianna, Khloe, Karah, and another unknown child.  I feel bad for Kovenant and Kalvary... 

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve definitely noticed that in the UK. In the US, we like a lot of those names as nicknames. Sophia and Charles are popular, but then their informal nick name is usually Sophie and Charlie. I admit that I’m the same way. My children have formal names and then they have their nick names. If I met an Alfie in the US, I would assume his name is Alfred. But I wouldn’t expect that to be so in the UK since I know the trend. 

Yeah, it's mostly the same in Australia. My family would definitely have a tantrum if I tried to name my child a nickname. Even my cousin who has always gone by Jack, a very popular name in Australia and one of the nicknames as full names that I really don't think needs the traditional full name, is a John because my great-grandpa said, "A Jack is a John and just a Jack is not a name!" ? I'm not that snobby or dogmatic about it. I think being a John with the nickname Jack these days might be way more confusing than necessary. Other names that I think don't need their traditional full name to use and that would be more confusing if they did use the full name in day to day interactions (mostly because many people no longer see them as nicknames) include: Sally (Sarah), Molly or Polly (Mary), Peggy or Peg or Rita or Gretchen for Margaret, Harry for Henry, Hank for Henry, Maisie for Mairead or Margaret, Charlie for Charles or Charlotte, Callie or Carrie for Caroline, Elise or Elsie or Ella or Eliza for Elizabeth, Mina or Willa for Wilhelmina, Nancy or Nan for Ann/e, Nora for Eleanor or Lenora or Honora (or more) etc.

Everyone in my family has a full name AND nickname and I plan to do the same for my own hypothetical children. I'm an atheist but I can imagine my great-grandpa and great-grandma and my Papa haunting me forever if I didn't ? 

@Aine, I knew Peg/gy came from Margaret, but I had no idea that Rita and Gretchen did too!  It makes sense, though, when I think about it.  

8 minutes ago, catlady said:

@Aine, I knew Peg/gy came from Margaret, but I had no idea that Rita and Gretchen did too!  It makes sense, though, when I think about it.  

Then there's next-level Margaret variations like Daisy and Pearl (Marguerite is French for 'daisy', and the word Margaret originates from the Greek for 'pearl'). 

Add the Megan and Margo variations and you could do a whole Duggar-style theme of girls just named with variations of Margaret. And most people wouldn't even notice. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Then there's next-level Margaret variations like Daisy and Pearl (Marguerite is French for 'daisy', and the word Margaret originates from the Greek for 'pearl'). 

Add the Megan and Margo variations and you could do a whole Duggar-style theme of girls just named with variations of Margaret. And most people wouldn't even notice. 

I have an aunt called Margaret who goes my Pearl, I could never understand how it got from Margaret to Pearl. Now I do, thanks! 

36 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Lol! Margaret, Daisy, Pearl, Margery/Marjorie, Megan, Margo/Margot, Greta/Gretchen, Rita, Maisie, Peggy. And that's already more girls than the Duggars have, I think.

11 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

They all have 2 syllables as well: Sophie, Chloe, Millie, Katie, Ellie, Aimee, Tillie, Hallie, Phoebe, and Bonnie. I'm sure the theme became intentional at some point down the line!

This reminds me that I found a 10-children family on facebook recently with all K names: Kaelyn, Kinley, Kassidy, Karsten, Kovenant, Kalvary, Kristianna, Khloe, Karah, and another unknown child.  I feel bad for Kovenant and Kalvary... 

Ick.  There is a mega-adoption blog that does this too, One More Ladybug. 

Kuyler, Kolton, Kooper, Kenzie, Kayden, Kambry, Kaeleb, Kinley, Kennah, Kasidi, Khloie, Kohlby, and Kaison.

You think I'm kidding but I'm not.

I kan't even.

16 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I was wondering when she'd have another - she's pretty over due. 

Yeah I think her last will be over 2 years old when this one arrives. Let’s hope that trend continues for her.

19 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

Somebody is having #21???  Michelle and Kelly Jo must be having fits of jealousy.  Or did I read that wrong?

Yep, Sue Radford (43) just had her 21st, Bonnie Raye. They’re British and had their first when Sue was 14. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7705758/radford-britains-biggest-family-21st-baby-last-one/amp/

30 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Yep, Sue Radford (43) just had her 21st, Bonnie Raye. They’re British and had their first when Sue was 14. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7705758/radford-britains-biggest-family-21st-baby-last-one/amp/

Has Sue ever talked about miscarriages? I know they lost Alfie a few years ago. I’m just wondering how many pregnancies she’s had total. 

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Has Sue ever talked about miscarriages? I know they lost Archie a few years ago. Im just wondering how many pregnancies she’s had total. 

I think she’s lost four pregnancies: there were two early miscarriages, then she lost a baby at 12 weeks in September 2013 followed by the stillbirth of Alfie at 23 weeks in July 2014.

According to google, Tillie and Ellie Radford both have May as a middle name? I'm sure there's a whole thread devoted to this somewhere but seeing it for the first time... ughh!

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

Are they religious?  Why would Jesus give them more blessings than Michelle and Kelly?

18 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Are they religious?  Why would Jesus give them more blessings than Michelle and Kelly?

Not in any significant way on any of their specials that I've seen. I would have said not at all because they never talk about it but they did have one episode where they had all the kids baptized at once. But it seemed more a cultural thing or something for the show than a deeply held religious conviction.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah I think her last will be over 2 years old when this one arrives. Let’s hope that trend continues for her.

her first kids were so close in age that I was really afraid she might continue this trend and give Michelle und Kelly a run for their money.

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

No, they seem to be motivated by issues stemming from the fact that they were both adopted at birth. I remember reading an article that said Sue was her biological mother’s 8th child and there was a suggestion that Sue might be trying to prove she could succeed where the biological mother failed.

Yes. The Radfords seem like really nice people with completely different issues.  After the last one they said they were going to do birth control (I think). I hope she does okay when her fertility ends.

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived