IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 4: Lick the Fork

HerNameIsBuffy

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's daily devotional shows that  a church led by a woman can still be patriarchal as hell. Also, I don't really see Gwen as being the submissive wife. She didn't seem to submit that much to her first husband. She seems to also be directing this at some of the church workers for perhaps not "glorifying God" enough. And by glorifying God I mean Gwen. It is obvious she views her words as God's words and her actions as God's action. 

At some point, you are going to have to come to your hour of making a choice, making that commitment. And your hour boils down to a decision of who is going to be glorified.

Who are you glorifying? Who are you supporting? Are you here to support yourself, or are you here to support Jesus Christ and God? And that is what all of life’s questions boil down to. What is your motive for coming to church, for singing in the choir, for working on the decorating committee, for landscaping, for being on the tech team, or for counseling or teaching a class? What is your motive? Whose name are you glorifying and how do you know? Accepting marriage and the name of your husband and being submissive to the husband glorifies the husband’s name and God’s name. Whose name do you glorify in front of the children—yours or your husband’s, satan’s or God’s? Whose name do you glorify at work—yours or your boss’s? Ask yourself this question as you make your decisions throughout the day. Who are you promoting?

46 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Today's daily devotional shows that  a church led by a woman can still be patriarchal as hell. Also, I don't really see Gwen as being the submissive wife. She didn't seem to submit that much to her first husband. She seems to also be directing this at some of the church workers for perhaps not "glorifying God" enough. And by glorifying God I mean Gwen. It is obvious she views her words as God's words and her actions as God's action. 

Phyllis Schafly would be proud so would Anita Bryant.  Do as I say not as I do bugs me.  

1 minute ago, luv2laugh said:

Parents should have a right to both decide on what kind of church their kid attends on their time and one parent shouldn’t influence the children that the other parent’s philosophical or religious views are “bad”. Both parents that had either biological or adopted ties to the child (and are not abusers) should have equal rights and say on what church the child attends. 

It makes me upset when parents can’t put aside their own agenda for the best interest of the child.

The issue with remnant is, parents in Remnant believe that Remnant IS in the best interest of the child. :(

Joe always looks like he has realized he got involved in crazy and is plotting an escape in his head. 

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

I can’t help but feel sorry for him after reading someone post the background on what he went through growing up. Most people that commit crimes, abuse drugs or alcohol, had a traumatic childhood.

Agreed, but unfortunately, the common response to that is “Lots of people have shitty childhoods and don’t commit crimes.” :(

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Joe always looks like he has realized he got involved in crazy and is plotting an escape in his head. 

Maybe it’s possible that Joe had work done?

He was a model and actor involved in the Hollywood scene so it wouldn’t surprise me.

22 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Maybe it’s possible that Joe had work done?

He was a model and actor involved in the Hollywood scene so it wouldn’t surprise me.

looks like at least botox to me. 

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

looks like at least botox to me. 

I think so too.  As @luv2laugh stated, he was an actor and a huge premium is placed on looks.  Speaking of looks, she looks really bad.  Very unhealthy.

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Oh I don't think he's plotting his escape. It appears he has a failed career (2 of them), so where is he gonna go? What's he going to do? Lol    I feel like he will drink whatever punch is necessary to be taken care of. Whether he believes it or not. He may actually be a really great actor after all. 

4 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

He may actually be a really great actor after all. 

Or maybe not, but he does seem to be a survivor, and that might be all that's needed in this situation.

Today's brief devotional is blaming people if they can't lose weight with Weigh Down. Gwen asks how people can go through the program and not keep the weight off. The answer obviously isn't that she gives out shitty advice, it is that the people who gain weight aren't godly enough. If you go through her workshop and can't lose weight you probably don't even have God in your life.  Gwen is just the worst. 

So, why would someone struggle with their weight for years—even if they had been in Weigh Down Workshop and know of its concept of hunger and fullness for two to ten years? Why can you not just lose the weight?

The real issue is: Who is the God in your life? Who is the God in your eating? A lead is a lead. The God in the little things will be God in the big things. If you don’t have a God in what you consider the little things, you don’t have a God at all. It is not about big or small things, it is about rule or no rule.

I feel so bad for the people who cannot reach their preceived goal weight. I lived trying to fit myself into a mold that I could not fit and it is a level of hell on Earth. There are so many reasons why a person is not able to make it to a number on the scale and none of them has to do with their faith. Putting oneself into condemnation (shame) again and again will not solve anything. Gwen is spiritually and psychologically abusive to her followers and is hurting them deeply. 

19 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

He may actually be a really great actor after all. 

The only person he needs to fool is Gwen. She will do all the leg work to convince everyone else. 

today's devotional is all about how worldly things will fade(but Gwen will keep collecting them!), but people need to make plans for their kids and grandchildren which is very Geoff Botkin of her. 

What are your goals? Have you any plans or expectations for your children or grandchildren? This search is essential for acquiring knowledge and energy to reset your focus away from the mundane and on to the eternal. Your house and clothes will not last, your cars and boats will rust, and your financial savings will fly away like a bird. But how do you get to this focus on the eternal? This seems impossible and seems monumental. But if you will not worry about tomorrow and just take one day at a time, you will see that God can move mountains that seem to be blocking you from this Treasure. The words will challenge you but also encourage you because you will find that there IS hope—that even in the most dire situations, your ship can turn around. There is hope that even in the loneliest situations, you can be fulfilled. Please know that you are not just one in a billion people but that something special is going on if you can hear the Truth. Not everyone can hear or see, which was prophesied by Isaiah and repeated by Jesus and the Apostle Paul.

What does the last line mean? Is this some sort of predestination thing? 

On 12/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, formergothardite said:

I can’t get over how awkward Gwen looks in a spaghetti strap top with the Christmas lights behind her outside. It’s almost like she’s trying to show off her bones...

They are trying to copy David and Priscilla with the couple’s color matching. I hope she doesn’t start copying Jill with #besthubbyever posts.

Gwen has a video up where she discusses what she eats. I have not been able to watch a lot of it because it is so shaky and the person filming it keeps flipping the camera so it goes sideways. It is giving me a headache. 

She starts off buy saying they really want people to come to Nashville and visit them. Just come visit RF, which is exactly what the people who came here said. 

Anyway, from the part I've watched she says what she eats each day. She has half a bagel with marmalade and coffee for breakfast. A minuscule about of lettuce and veggies with tiny, tiny drops of dressing(or sometimes no dressing), a couple chips, and her diet soda she pours into a goblet because she likes drinking out of fancy cups for lunch. And then she is all vague about dinner but she swears she eats some meat then. 

She says this is her eating habits for maintaining her weight. She said if you are bigger and have more muscle mass than she does you can lose weight eating as little as she does. 

She admits that she doesn't like eating in front of people so at parties she just doesn't eat. She might drink a little but she doesn't eat anything, which solves the whole problem of how to not over indulge at a party. :pb_rollseyes: But you can get a little plate of your favorites, bring it home and freeze it so you can make it last way into January by only eating tiny bites. 

Why does she sit on pillows? She makes a dramatic entrance walking down the stairs and sits on a padded chair that has a pillow on the seat. I've noticed before that she is often sitting on pillows. 

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She admits that she doesn't like eating in front of people so at parties she just doesn't eat.

Genius.  Neither do I.  I stress hard before any gathering, even a work lunch, where nosy people will ask why I’m not eating and push me making me scared and ragey.  

I feel bad when invited to weddings that they’ll pay for a plate that will go untouched.

Why people can’t mind their own fucking business about what I’m not eating is one of the soapboxes of which I’m most passionate.

Hey Gwen, here’s the difference between you and I ...

I acknowledge it’s remnants of my ED from which I’ll never be fully recovered.  And I don’t advocate this mental self abuse as something to be emulated.

in fact I went out of my way to explain it to my kids when it was age appropriate that it’s not okay, that it’s something I struggle with that I never want them to experience.

And they didn’t, thank God.

its called self awareness, Gwen.  Knowing your weaknesses and being honest about them to try to protect those you love from the same.

Try it sometime.

I know this is totally off topic, but whenever I read the title, I keep seeing the little angel and devil on opposite shoulders, with the devil whispering, "Lick the fork!"

Carry on...

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Genius.  Neither do I.  I stress hard before any gathering, even a work lunch, where nosy people will ask why I’m not eating and push me making me scared and ragey.  

I feel bad when invited to weddings that they’ll pay for a plate that will go untouched.

Why people can’t mind their own fucking business about what I’m not eating is one of the soapboxes of which I’m most passionate.

I've never had an ED but I (kind of) know where you're coming from. There tends to be large quantities of food at gatherings and for some reason the sight of a lot of food kills my appetite and makes me feel queasy. Potlucks, buffets, and parties are a no go. Someone inevitably asks why I'm not eating. It's uncomfortable explaining because the person asking is usually dismissive of my reason. I mean, why ask if you're just going to be rude about it? It annoys me to no end. Sometimes I'll make a mock plate with small bits of this and that to try and avoid the questions but then there's always some jerk who asks why I'm not eating more. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

2 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

There tends to be large quantities of food at gatherings and for some reason the sight of a lot of food kills my appetite and makes me feel queasy. Potlucks, buffets, and parties are a no go.

Whenever I attend and partake, I am miserable afterward.

Is it overeating, or bad hygiene on the part of the "chefs"?  Who knows.  

It is just never a great idea on my end.

If I'm attending a party where I don't know most of the people I don't eat but  it is because I'm on the verge of a panic attack and barely holding myself together. 

Gwen has turned her disordered eating into "godly" traits that others should follow. Instead of getting help she has created a system where no one can point out that she is behaving in unhealthy ways. 

Today's devotional is short. 

We make mistakes with our hearts’ choices, but we are to use the mistakes to turn around and get it right. If you stumble, just get right back up! In these experiences, we see God’s strengths: caring patience, tender concern, captivating love, and perfect justice. You learn about yourself and the personality of God. Endure hardship because God is treating you as a son. If you are abiding in the True Vine, then you are a legitimate branch—a child of the sovereign God of the universe—and He loves you.

Weighing in (har-de-har) here because I’ve had  a complicated ED most of my life.  About two months ago, I finally realized that my “sober” way of life must be:  eating only when I’m hungry. 

IOW, when I feel my stomach growling. 

And it’s been my physical & emotional salvation. 

And then I find out that it’s part of Gwen Shamblin’s cultish shtick.

SMH at how there’s always somebody, somewhere, to eff up what’s natural and normal and actually beautiful. Poor RF sheeple, esp Gwen’s wisp of a daughter.

That’s all. Just had to say [sic] it out loud. 

9 hours ago, SuperNova said:

I've never had an ED but I (kind of) know where you're coming from. There tends to be large quantities of food at gatherings and for some reason the sight of a lot of food kills my appetite and makes me feel queasy. Potlucks, buffets, and parties are a no go. Someone inevitably asks why I'm not eating. It's uncomfortable explaining because the person asking is usually dismissive of my reason. I mean, why ask if you're just going to be rude about it? It annoys me to no end. Sometimes I'll make a mock plate with small bits of this and that to try and avoid the questions but then there's always some jerk who asks why I'm not eating more. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

I'm sorry people are so dismissive. I know when I host or close friends/family of the host, I push people to eat when all the food is ready and if someone says "I'm not hungry" or any other excuse not to eat, I say something like "are you sure?" and they confirm and then I say something like - "Well if you change your mind, the foods out. Grab a plate whenever"

I never thought that some people maybe having difficulty with eating in crowds or at events. I will make sure I am mindful of that in the future. Would what I typically say to people at events be triggering for you? 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived