IGNORED

Deviled, Evil, or Picnic Eggs - Share!

HerNameIsBuffy

In light of the discussion about deviled eggs on the JRod thread AND this Friday being National Deviled Eggs Day...which I am sure you are all observing with due reverence (if your employer objects just remind  them it's illegal to interfere with your practice of religion or something) I am calling for everyone's recipe.

Picnic eggs, as the Maxwell's call them as to enjoy their creamy goodness without calling the Prince of Darkness upon them, are one of those dishes that are both familiar yet different depending on the cook.

So I am calling for your deviled egg recipes by the end of our holy day....share with your fellow FJers your variation.

Trigger warning for the mayo haters...might want to skip this one.

• Love 5

Protip: you can make them with greek yogurt. That said, I don't have a recipe. I just toss crap in the bowl til it tastes right. 

I know I use salt, pepper, mayo or yogurt depending on my mood, mustard, and then whatever else Rufus lays on my heart to add. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I use Miracle Whip (never mayo), dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a light sprinkling of paprika over the top for color.

My daughter loves these so much she monitors the tray every time I make them and always worries I didn't make enough for her to take most of them home.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I use Miracle Whip (never mayo), dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a light sprinkling of paprika over the top for color.

My daughter loves these so much she monitors the tray every time I make them and always worries I didn't make enough for her to take most of them home.

Yessssss! Miracle Whip, and must have paprika. I want some of these now.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Yessssss! Miracle Whip, and must have paprika. I want some of these now.

If there is one thing Chicagoans know it's food :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Is it heresy if I like sweet pickle relish along with the Miracle Whip and mustard? I'm not sure if I've ever actually made "picnic eggs" by myself, or just helped my mom, but that's her way. Mom uses horseradish (brown spicy) mustard, so if I ever make them, that will be different. I don't care for horseradish. I don't mind it in her eggs,  but I would use the mustard in my fridge. So, yellow, dijon, or honey mustard, depending on what we had at the time. (Probably not honey mustard.)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Is it heresy if I like sweet pickle relish along with the Miracle Whip and mustard? I'm not sure if I've ever actually made "picnic eggs" by myself, or just helped my mom, but that's her way. Mom uses horseradish (brown spicy) mustard, so if I ever make them, that will be different. I don't care for horseradish. I don't mind it in her eggs,  but I would use the mustard in my fridge. So, yellow, dijon, or honey mustard, depending on what we had at the time. (Probably not honey mustard.)

Not heresy - beauty in diversity.

(I love honey mustard but I'd wonder what it would do to the texture.)

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I love honey mustard but I'd wonder what it would do to the texture.

The French's, or Beaver, brand honey mustard that I buy seems to have a similar texture to ordinary mustard. I imagine they add something to make it smooth and uniform. I wonder about the sweetness. 

Right now this is all hypothetical. I'm about to choose between cold leftover pizza or a microwave quesadilla. :pb_lol:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
punctuation
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

i don't remember how i found this recipe, but it works for me because i suck at peeling hardboiled eggs and i usually make a mess of the whites.  these are square deviled eggs:

preheat oven to 350, lightly grease a small (approx 8") baking pan. 

separate about a dozen raw eggs.  

gently whisk whites until they just start to get foamy, add to pan and cover with foil.  bake 20 minutes. let them cool completely in the pan.  

meanwhile, scramble the yolks in a skillet over medium-low heat until fully cooked, about 4-5 minutes.  remove from heat and combine them with 1/3 cup mayo, 1 tbl vinegar, 2 tsp mustard, and salt/pepper to taste (this part is straight from the recipe; change to your preference).  the recipe recommends using a food processor for this step, but mine is really small so i've used an immersion blender.  transfer to pastry bag when done.

flip cooled whites onto a cutting board, and cut into one-inch squares.  pipe the yolks onto each square and sprinkle with paprika.

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Is it heresy if I like sweet pickle relish along with the Miracle Whip and mustard? I

Nope, that is a good addition. I'll have some of your eggs also.

• Upvote 3

My secret to easy to peel hard boiled eggs is- bring water to a boil, add white vinegar (I think it’s 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water, I just pour a bit in), THEN add eggs. The peel slips off!

eta: boil eggs for 15 minutes or what have you. They aren’t instant, unfortunately. 

Edited by Kailash
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Yes, yes, this is heresy! It must be DILL pickle relish, DILL I tell you! ;) 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Miracle Whip is an abomination and now I know why not all deviled eggs are equal.

We use Alton Brown's method, with extra cayenne. 

Sweet pickle relish is also an abomination and I never could figure out who was buying it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bethella said:

Yes, yes, this is heresy! It must be DILL pickle relish, DILL I tell you! ;) 

I like dill pickles, but I grew up with sweet relish, and I didn't discover dill relish until about 10 years ago. When I make a tuna sandwich, I mix the tuna with Miracle Whip and sweet relish. But then I put dill pickles on the sandwich. :giggle:  Go figure.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

I hate all things mayo/whip-ish/relish-ish so I use hummus in my deviled eggs.  Actually, I went to a potluck last year where I knew there would be several vegans and did a tiny baby potato deviled egg, so I guess a deviled potato.  Same concept, except with potato, though I roasted these so they had a little extra flavour.  

• Upvote 6

Deviled Eggs  with NO mayo (or Miracle Whip)

6 hard cooked eggs, peeled

1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar

1/4 cup butter, melted

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon onion, grated

Cut eggs in half lengthwise; scoop out yolks and mash with a fork. To mashed yolks, mix in seasonings.  Pack into whites.  Makes 12 halves.  You can also add the pickle relish or your choice and paprika, too, if you like.  

This recipe from The Good Old Days Cookbook by Beth Tartan, copyright 1971

I have a slip of paper in my cookbook that says 1/4 cup creme fraiche into 6 medium hard boiled yolks.  I don't know whether that idea came from Julia Child or maybe Martha Stewart.  I'd think the same quantity of Greek yogurt would suffice.   The yolk mixture in the original recipe will firm up if the eggs are refrigerated.  

• Thank You 1
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet relish in anything is an abomination. There's something in it that just tastes .... wrong. I don't know how to describe it. It's not exactly bitter. Not exactly rotten. Just wrong on a bone-deep level.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Terrie said:

Sweet relish in anything is an abomination. There's something in it that just tastes .... wrong. I don't know how to describe it. It's not exactly bitter. Not exactly rotten. Just wrong on a bone-deep level.

Agreed! 

• 1 year later...

I just noticed the other day, in the Duggars forum, that Michelle calls them "yellow pocket angel eggs."

The lengths these people will go to in order to avoid using the word devil ...he who must not be named, I guess.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:47 AM, Maggie Mae said:

Sweet pickle relish is also an abomination and I never could figure out who was buying it. 

I use it in sloppy joes.  So if you wonder who is buying the one small jar a year, that's me.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.