Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

20 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Found this being shared on Facebook

Hide contents

FB_IMG_1540762686768.

Nothing shows?

35 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I think cooking is so satisfying. I have a hard time understanding when people say they hate it. I can see hating to clean up afterwards. But finding a recipe, making it, and eating it fulfills something in me that a frozen, premade food never could. 

I find cleaning satisfying. I love to clean. Mondays are bathroom cleaning days, and I love to clean them! I also love doing laundry (wash/dry/fold/put away). I don't let my laundry pile up, and I fold everything (or hang it) straight out of the dryer into specific clothes baskets.

Spending time making a meal, then eating it in a fraction of the time, isn't relaxing to me. I do help DH prep our food on Sundays, though. But it's just another fucking CHORE that has to get done.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made sausage gravy & biscuits for brunch today. I wouldn't take a picture of it because it looks like something the cat may have left somewhere. The hubs ate enough to explode just about, and swore it was like heaven in his mouth. But pictures? Nope! It's just NOT an attractive dish. 

Normally, I LOVE to cook...but I'm a spoiled brat who will only really cook if I have a kitchen conducive to cooking. Plenty of counter space, a gas stove, easy access to all my stuff...and I'm off and running! The last 2 places we lived were NOT conducive to cooking at all. Here, oh yeah. The house I want...I'll be making BIG messes and LOTS of food. We'll see if we get that house. 

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

they should have canned it in the type of can you could open a slit in the bottom and would just plop out - like the old Ocean Spray jellied cranberry cans.

I was riveted watching that guy eat in the review - I've never seen anyone so easy to please.

You have more guts than I do to watch it. I'd probably end up vomiting. 

@feministxtian,  I'm the same way about cooking.  I helped with cooking a lot growing up and, and since my mom worked, and we kids had to do our own lunches,  we learned how to cook a few things.  One of my brothers and I were real Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) devotees and watched his show faithfully.  Later I watched Julia Child on The French Chef.  I really cut my cooking teeth, though, when I volunteered to make Friday night dinners at the Catholic Center at UGA.  They had restaurant ranges, big fridges and so on.  I found it fun to cook for a crowd.  I've wanted a pro-style range since before they became a thing.  Maybe I should have gone to culinary school and become a chef.  My other brother and I talked briefly about opening a restaurant in our hometown after his Army hitch ended.  He's spent 18 months in Berlin and raved about the restaurants they'd go to including this one Russian place in East Berlin.   I said this recently, but when we get our kitchen renovated, I'm going to cook a lunch or dinner for the girls that live close enough.  I miss cooking for more than just myself.  (Did make Ina Garten's salad dressing recipe tonight though.  It was yummy!)

@PennySycamore I remember Graham Kerr and Julia Child. I LOVE Iron Chef and a bunch of other cooking shows. 

The house I want (please God let that settlement be enough) has an option for a Wolf gas stove and the commercial-style fridge/freezer. Counter space is insane and a HUGE island (like 6' x 8'). As I said, I'm a total brat when it comes to kitchens (and master bathrooms)...I mean, I've definitely lived in MUCH less luxurious settings but...ya know? 

23 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@SapphireSlytherin I find cleaning satisfying too, but it’s not an emotional satisfaction like cooking is for me. Cooking is nurturing, cleaning is more primal. 

Maybe it’s more that I grew up in a house that was rarely cleaned, infested with fleas, and had piles of “stuff” everywhere? To me, cleaning is nurturing - providing a clean, safe, bug-free, nice-smelling place to invite friends without being embarrassed. 

My mother didn’t do jackshit about the fleas until I brought my daughter into her house. I found a flea ON MY KID and LOST MY SHIT. The woman FINALLY - after 20ish years - had her cat dipped and called an exterminator. I took my kid and went to a hotel. Next time we visited:  no fleas. She remarked how NICE it was not to have fleas. I mean—-what the actual fuck?

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Cooking is creative and artistic. I love it.

For me, cooking combines the science thing and the creative thing...like, using certain ingredients cause certain chemical reactions that turn some things into other things (think flour, yeast and bread) that smell and taste delicious. Baking powder makes the tortillas fluffy, stuff like that...

Leave it to me to turn cooking into a geek thing...

2 hours ago, Kailash said:

I think cooking is so satisfying. I have a hard time understanding when people say they hate it. I can see hating to clean up afterwards. But finding a recipe, making it, and eating it fulfills something in me that a frozen, premade food never could. 

tonight i made chicken and sweat potatoes and i burned the sweat potatoes - who wants to send me a dinner ??

25 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Cooking is creative and artistic. I love it.

i am craving pizza :D 

16 minutes ago, nst said:

tonight i made chicken and sweat potatoes and i burned the sweat potatoes - who wants to send me a dinner ??

I have a casserole and cheddar garlic butter biscuits I just took out of the oven.

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have a casserole and cheddar garlic butter biscuits I just took out of the oven.

garlic butter biscuits sound like heaven - but this week especially no carbs because of my blood test on saturday 

but a casserole will do wonders. 

:D

25 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@nst Totally acceptable to order pizza! Sometimes you win. Sometimes the sweet pototoes do.

come next saturday evening - one small gluten free Hawaiian i am on it . 

11 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@HerNameIsBuffy What’s in the casserole? I love casseroles!

My kids love galumpkis (Polish cabbage rolls) but I'm terrible at rolling them so I saw an idea for a galumpki casserole so I adapted the recipe to mine:

Ground beef, garlic, diced onions, diced tomatoes (from a CAN!), cabbage, rice, paprika...and because I was out of tomato sauce i used a can of tomato soup and it was fabulous no matter how duggarific that is!

The family loved it.

I just ordered two America's Test Kitchen cookbooks for young chefs for two of my granddaughters and a copy of The Perfect Cake for me.  The cookbooks were all on sale and if I spent $40 I got free shipping.   Not that I think they would, but I don't want either of these two girls to end up so ignorant of how to cook.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nothing shows?

I find cleaning satisfying. I love to clean. Mondays are bathroom cleaning days, and I love to clean them! I also love doing laundry (wash/dry/fold/put away). I don't let my laundry pile up, and I fold everything (or hang it) straight out of the dryer into specific clothes baskets.

Spending time making a meal, then eating it in a fraction of the time, isn't relaxing to me. I do help DH prep our food on Sundays, though. But it's just another fucking CHORE that has to get done.

I'm the exact opposite! I love to cook, but cleaning just wears me out. Part of it is the physicality of the chores with my health issues, but a large part is that I know it'll be messy soon, and a clean house doesn't bring me much happiness, I just view it as a necessity. When I cook, I only cook food I really enjoy, plus I get to see others enjoy what I made. I should really try to find someone like you so we could get together and I cook but don't clean!

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

they should have canned it in the type of can you could open a slit in the bottom and would just plop out - like the old Ocean Spray jellied cranberry cans.

Hayumen.  The only way cranberry should be enjoyed.

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

@HerNameIsBuffy What’s in the casserole? I love casseroles!

I made the easiest damn casserole in the world. Easier than a cream of ____ casserole. Frozen mushroom (or any kind) ravioli, layered 2x with marinara, mozzarella, and parm. 350, 20 min covered, 20 uncovered. I thought it would be too basic but that is what they all ate the next day for leftovers. Nothing left. 

2 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I made the easiest damn casserole in the world. Easier than a cream of ____ casserole. Frozen mushroom (or any kind) ravioli, layered 2x with marinara, mozzarella, and parm. 350, 20 min covered, 20 uncovered. I thought it would be too basic but that is what they all ate the next day for leftovers. Nothing left. 

I don't eat cheese but my boys will love that - I'm going to give that a try.

That apple crisp looks like oatmeal poured over leftover potatoes.  Or a hillbilly poutine when you ran out of cheese curd and only had chicken gravy.  Get thee to a photography class, Jill, because all your food pictures look like piles of wallpaper paste.  

Back to that crisp - I can't imagine the fruit being very moist with so much of the apples exposed to the oven.  Or the peels still attached (???)  I've also never eaten a "crisp" that looks so... wet and squishy on top.  

1 minute ago, acheronbeach said:

I've also never eaten a "crisp" that looks so... wet and squishy.  

TBF we don't know that their SOTDRT had crisp as a vocabulary word.  I mean if the apples had to be perp-en-dick-u-lar she'd have been prepared by that crackerjack teacher Michelle/

Cooking, for me, includes cleaning and shopping . I prefer smaller, well-planned kitchens to giant monstrosity mcmansion "modern" kitchens. I always thought I hated cooking, until I moved into my current place. 

We have a kitchen-aid (from the 70s) for baking and mashed potatoes, but everything else has multiple uses and gets used. I still hate the amount of space the kitchen aid takes up since we use it like twice a year. I guess the crock-pot is one-use, but we use it more than the kitchen-aid. 

Cooking is art, chemistry, financial planning, logistics, and multi-sensory. The bright orange of carrots up against a bed of bright green spinach, the textures of crisp apples, the aromatics of a mirepoix, planning out dishes based on Manager special meats and co-op produce boxes.. It's all good to me. Plus when I finish a meal and can say that I made it with potatoes and peppers from the garden, the dishes came from Poland and I dragged them from Grandma's house on a plane to Alaska, the berries were harvested locally, adding a nice touch of color... 

But some people don't appreciate the plating and that annoys me. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived